img2444zz.jpg

img2442ky.jpg

img2441n.jpg

img2439vr.jpg

img2436y.jpg

img2425v.jpg

img2415ee.jpg

img2401l.jpg

Need help. When I turn on my projector, my 24" monitor goes out of portrait mode. When I shut the projector off it automatically goes back, any ideas on solving this??

img2401l.jpg

Need help. When I turn on my projector, my 24" monitor goes out of portrait mode. When I shut the projector off it automatically goes back, any ideas on solving this??
As said above cant do all three at the same time with one card, could go and buy a cheap card and run it off that. Also what projector is that? It looks awesome, very crisp and clear.

As said above cant do all three at the same time with one card, could go and buy a cheap card and run it off that. Also what projector is that? It looks awesome, very crisp and clear.

Thanks for the comment, I absolutely love the projector (epson 8350). The Westy and projector are running off the evga gtx560ti and the 24" is running off a cheap gt220.

Just curious, but I'm wondering why some of you use your monitors in portrait mode. What do you get out of it? I've tried it and found it sucks for browsing the web. I'm always scrolling right to see full pages, especially with forums.

Just curious, but I'm wondering why some of you use your monitors in portrait mode. What do you get out of it? I've tried it and found it sucks for browsing the web. I'm always scrolling right to see full pages, especially with forums.

It's pretty superior for FPS. It really cuts down on the fisheye effect on the peripheral monitors and I enjoy the greatly increased vert more than the mildly increased horizontal.

DSC_3478small.jpg

The stand on my 2001FP actually fits over the supertweeter dome on my tannoys, woot.

The 20" runs off a Q8400 with 8 gigs of ram, while the 2x23+24"'s run off the WS in my sig.

DSC_3478small.jpg

The stand on my 2001FP actually fits over the supertweeter dome on my tannoys, woot.

The 20" runs off a Q8400 with 8 gigs of ram, while the 2x23+24"'s run off the WS in my sig.

sweet set up, also really like the wyvern you got spread across the main screens.

You're using monitors that are too narrow, pixel-wise. 1200 pixels is the real minimum for using portrait mode; most sites are between 960 and 1020 pixels wide. With vertical scrollbars, monitors with 1050 or 1080 resolution will frequently require horizontal scrolling. This explains part of the concern with growing aspect ratios, as 16:9 monitors are ill-suited for portrait.

As the above post mentioned, you need to have at least 1024 horizontal pixels to obtain comfortable view on the web, and readings.

16:10 monitors 19" in portrait (1024x1280) okay but barely keep up in today web grwing size, 20" in portrait (1200x1600) will do a much better job. I use two of these 20" (buy used and very cheap) for web and background applications.

If you want 16:9 wide screen then at least 1050x1680 or 1080x1920 (portrait) would be the minimum, 1200x1920 (16:10 in portrait) still the best option.

Last edited:
As the above post mentioned, you need to have at least 1024 horizontal pixels to obtain comfortable view on the web, and readings.

16:10 monitors 19" in portrait (1024x1280) okay but barely keep up in today web grwing size, 20" in portrait (1200x1600) will do a much better job. I use two of these 20" (buy used and very cheap) for web and background applications.

If you want 16:9 wide screen then at least 1050x1680 or 1080x1920 (portrait) would be the minimum, 1200x1920 (16:10 in portrait) still the best option.

1050x1680 is 16:10 in portrait.

But it's a low resolution.

Agreed, 1200x1920 is the minimum resolution that you can comfortably use in portrait (as long as it's not your _only_ monitor). 1200 horizontal feels just barely enough, but it fits almost all webpages without horizontal scrollbars.

I use an even narrower x900 wide in portrait mode on each side for now. The 1440x900 asus led backlit TN's were only $110 each and they match the height of my 2560x1440 main screen.

I mostly use them for email (which looks fine when I open a mail), multiple irc/chat interface windows, and most usefully - full-screen (x900) single pane tabbed file browsing using directory opus file manager. There are also some misc apps like winamp, steam, and I can have the windows system volume mixer open, downloads/download manager windows, file transfers, etc. Anything I don't want cluttering up my main screen. Another use is with photoshop, dreamweaver, or other authoring apps full screen across all three monitors. It adds a lot of toolbox space and overall workspace. It does work for web browsing, especially on forums where much of the threads are dialog.and end up "word-wrapped". If I'm doing a more focused browsing session, I can always move the browser back to my main screen. The window snapping on the side panels comes in handy to shuffle back to the sides.

I'm perfectly happy with 1080p portrait for web browsing. I can see what I want to, and not see the shit I don't need to: the ads that clutter up the sides of many pages these days.

The only time it's ever a problem is when I'm looking at threads like this one with giant pics.

I wonder how hot that desk gets? Especially with a SLI rig and high end overclocked CPU. Probably enough to keep your coffee hot! :p

maybe he is a minimalist on that respect. obviously not a minimalist when it comes to screen real estate.

Back