• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

Here's my setup, a bit messy since I haven't had time to clean, but yeah

img2117nm5.jpg
 
Can someone explain to me why people buy 5.1 surround sound speakers, only to put all 5 speakers right in front of them on their desk?
 
Get longer wires, lol

Seriously tho, people don't want a bunch of wires going around their room.
 
Get longer wires, lol

Seriously tho, people don't want a bunch of wires going around their room.
Wouldn't the solution be to get a 2.1 system then? 3 less speakers means 3 less wires period.

The imaging of all five speakers right in front of you would be crap, no? I'm no expert, but I would guess there is a reason that Dolby/DTS/THX don't list the "all five in front of you" configuration on their websites.
 
Wouldn't the solution be to get a 2.1 system then? 3 less speakers means 3 less wires period.

The imaging of all five speakers right in front of you would be crap, no? I'm no expert, but I would guess there is a reason that Dolby/DTS/THX don't list the "all five in front of you" configuration on their websites.

So what do you do once you've purchased 5.1 surround sound then realise that the wires are not long enough to have the rear speakers behind you? For most people, lengthening the wires isn't really an option, as is selling your shiny new speaker set. With mine, because i can't have the rear speakers actually behind me, i just have them as far to the sides of my desk as possible. More often than not, the rear speakers are usually quieter as the rest so; in fact, i can't actually hear the sound they emit over that of the other speakers.
 
what else do you have that was on 24?

you got that cisco IP phone? or.... a laptop or something else cool?

I would love to have cisco phone, my HP notebook was used in CTU at the beginning of the season, My ctu coffee mugs are used everyday in ctu, my dads dell notebook used to be used by the security guys at ctu, running linux. And I am getting the 2407wfp when I save the money...
Im sort of a fan!
24.jpg
 
So what do you do once you've purchased 5.1 surround sound then realise that the wires are not long enough to have the rear speakers behind you? For most people, lengthening the wires isn't really an option, as is selling your shiny new speaker set. With mine, because i can't have the rear speakers actually behind me, i just have them as far to the sides of my desk as possible. More often than not, the rear speakers are usually quieter as the rest so; in fact, i can't actually hear the sound they emit over that of the other speakers.

You can't buy longer wires from rat shack?
 
If for whatever reason you can't get your rear speakers actually behind you, you can create a fairly effective surround soundscape by pushing the fronts as far to the back of your desk as possible. You need to have as much difference in the depth of the fronts and rears as possible.

In the previous iteration of my setup, shown below, I had nowhere to sit rears behind me, so I placed them at the front of my desk. I mounted them underneath to keep my work surface clutter-free. Then I placed the fronts at the back of the desk and about half as far apart as the rears. See it below:

over.jpg

under.jpg


This gave me very good surround sound, with sounds in the rears placed convincingly behind me. My current setup is a vast improvement but this worked better than arranging all your surround speakers on the same plane, believe me.
 
It's an Allsop MetalArt monitor stand. Bought it at Future Shop for $30. Note this is my setup from almost a year ago.
 
Why even bother to buy it at first. That's like buying a 30" monitor and not using its native resolution.

Why even buy a 30" when most people won't even take advantage of the real estate? You aren't using EVERY PIXEL on that screen are you? Settle for a 19" LCD

Why buy a fast car when you barely go above 60 mph? You should buy a car that goes below 60 mph.

In both cases, people buy products on the basis of features. Features they probably won't use 100% of the time, but it's nice that they are there. Features are the added value of the product. There may be times where you will go above 60 mph or use every pixel on that 30" screen, but not 100% of the time. In how this applies to 5.1 systems, some people may not have the room to move the speakers around and run cable around the house like a madman because they rent or have space restrictions. I rent and I know it's not worth the effort to purchase stands and run cable around and having to fiddle with issues about hiding it or making sure people don't trip over it.

As for how people use their products, that's their business. It's may not be the correct way to setup a true 5.1 system, but if it works for them it works for them. It's nice to have the extra speakers in case I do need to move them around.

Needs change on a daily basis and the more features a product has the better.
 
It's an Allsop MetalArt monitor stand. Bought it at Future Shop for $30. Note this is my setup from almost a year ago.
Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for something like this for awhile. I just bought the updated version of that stand from Amazon for $27 shipped.

 
Finally...

Research took awhile(3 weeks) for the best out of the least.
Guess for next a year or so will be get busy with these babies.

Here are some pics I took today. C&C please~ :)




1


2


3


4


5


6


7


8


9


10
 
Why even buy a 30" when most people won't even take advantage of the real estate? You aren't using EVERY PIXEL on that screen are you? Settle for a 19" LCD

Why buy a fast car when you barely go above 60 mph? You should buy a car that goes below 60 mph.

In both cases, people buy products on the basis of features. Features they probably won't use 100% of the time, but it's nice that they are there. Features are the added value of the product. There may be times where you will go above 60 mph or use every pixel on that 30" screen, but not 100% of the time. In how this applies to 5.1 systems, some people may not have the room to move the speakers around and run cable around the house like a madman because they rent or have space restrictions. I rent and I know it's not worth the effort to purchase stands and run cable around and having to fiddle with issues about hiding it or making sure people don't trip over it.

As for how people use their products, that's their business. It's may not be the correct way to setup a true 5.1 system, but if it works for them it works for them. It's nice to have the extra speakers in case I do need to move them around.

Needs change on a daily basis and the more features a product has the better.

Buying a car is totally different from buy speakers. People buy 6 cylinder instead of a 4 because after a 4 cylinder reaches about 50ks, it will become weaker where you have to turn your ac off to accelerate faster. If you are not going to use 5.1, what's the point of having it? to show off? but you're right, that's their business...
 
I live in the UK. Are you talking about extending the original wires using connectors, or ripping the original ones out and soldering new ones to the inside of each speaker?

I'm talking about buying long speaker wire from a store, unplugging your current wires, and connecting the new wire. Unless you're using speakers that have crappy RCA connectors...
 
People buy 6 cylinder instead of a 4 because after a 4 cylinder reaches about 50ks, it will become weaker where you have to turn your ac off to accelerate faster.

Huh? What? Really?

I think thats only true for Fords and Chevys.. just as long as my 1.8T a4 doesn't have that problem since I am right near 55k :D

I had a 5.1 system before I got my promedias, and like the majority of people that buy 5.1, I just layed them out in a nice fashion on my desk, all in front of me. Then I realized how stupid that was and bought an awesome 2.1 system.
 
Why even bother to buy it at first. That's like buying a 30" monitor and not using its native resolution.

[H]:
people drop liquid nitrogen on computer parts, spend thousands of dollars on home theater setups in a 800sq ft apartment, and spend weeks or years working on projects that are simply unbelievable, and sometimes, wholly non-functional.

this, my friend, is a place of excess. some of it is done stylishly, with form and function mastered. some of it is not. but surely, don't question either :p

ballpoint, nice setup, and very creative positioning of the speakers to still get the desired effect.
 
Buying a car is totally different from buy speakers. People buy 6 cylinder instead of a 4 because after a 4 cylinder reaches about 50ks, it will become weaker where you have to turn your ac off to accelerate faster. If you are not going to use 5.1, what's the point of having it? to show off? but you're right, that's their business...

138_asiapres0tt.jpeg
 
If I'm not on my computer, it's because my boys are just like their old man :) The game is blurry but it's Tribe Vengance--wish that game went further than it did ;(

They got their own computer but they know the diff between a 6800 and a 8800 lol...and a 19" and 37". The other area is well, console city...he's learning though, give him a break :D


dscn0577go9.jpg


dscn0589ej5.jpg


dscn0588jc7.jpg
 
Is the one on the right (in yellow playing on the Xbox360) playing GTA? A little young don't you think? (Mind you I played the first GTA when I was like 8 anyway, and I turned out alright, I only have 3 charges for running people down in my car and reckless driving :p)
 
My computer desk is garbage, lol, I'll deal with that later. Also even though my PC is custom built I still use the compaq keyboard that came with an old compaq I had. Works good though, can't complain.

con001Medium.jpg


con004Medium.jpg

What size is that? Also, if you watch videos and play games, do you get ghosting and what not? What resolution does it give? I'm thinking about getting a 32" for the room.
 
Is the one on the right (in yellow playing on the Xbox360) playing GTA? A little young don't you think? (Mind you I played the first GTA when I was like 8 anyway, and I turned out alright, I only have 3 charges for running people down in my car and reckless driving :p)

Doesn't look quite like GTA, if you notice the bottom right, you'll see what looks to be a speedometer, and a tach, I'd bet one of the NFS games.
 
Wow, such awesome set-ups everyone has. :)

Anyways, just moved so here's a clean shot of my n00b desk:

mydeskjz0.jpg


mydesk2yi3.jpg
 
It's 'Behind the Great Wave at Kanagawa' by Katsushika Hokusai - I thought everybody knew that one, I even have a poster of it on my wall!
 
Back
Top