• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Show off your lidless CPU

Enjoicube said:
heatware? whatever that is
I'm fairly sure it's a rating/feedback system for people who participate in private trades. Other users can leave feedback and a rating (good/neutral/bad) on another user's profile. Don't quote me on that, though.
 
yeah, but some people are worried about crushing the core, and so they just want a little more cooling performance.
 
Enjoicube said:
yeah, but some people are worried about crushing the core, and so they just want a little more cooling performance.
Bah! It's not fun unless you have nervous sweat running between your shoulder blades and a recurring scream from your credit card about being put through the grinder again...
 
Nobody has answered my question. Did uncapping improve your OC much, if at all?

Back when I was running Intel, I uncapped my Tualatin Celeron. My peak load temps went down by 2C, but it did not help my overclock. Nada. Zip.
 
I noticed a more stable CPU with the lid off when overclocking. So I guess that would be a higher overclock?
 
Ruiner said:
Nobody has answered my question. Did uncapping improve your OC much, if at all?
dropped around 5-8c off my clawhammer. haven't done enough testing on the opteron to really tell yet ;)
5-8c was good for ~20-40mhz, depending on the voltage
 
5-8C is pretty decent...it might add some life to the chip on the back end, i.e. years after you've moved on to M2 or it's progeny.

20-40MHz....meh...that's 1-1.5%
100MHz+ would make it more worth it.
 
Question for you crazy naked people: On an X2 CPU, after getting naked, did you notice any contact problems with your heatsink no longer actually touching the CPU? What about possbly cracking the core when putting the heatsink back on? Or do you always use a water block or something when you get naked?

I have a 4400 and have thought of going lidless - but I dunno, it cools pretty well right now and I probably won't OC that agressively sooo?
 
For the average user, and people with no genatalia... Leave the lid on. There really is no reason to take it off..

The drops in temps are not really noticable. Its just something we do because were modders. Something fun to do.

I personally only use waterblocks, but theres lots of people who use air when going lidless. Usually I hear them talk about the XP-90 as a good fan when going lidless.

Theres always a chance of cracking the core when you have no lid.. However, if you are somewhat careful, there isnt much risk involved. Treat it with care.

I say we all start a new band called The Bare Nekkid CPUS!
 
just BE CAREFUL as you work the blade around so don't nick any of those capacitor packs around the core.

be especially careful with the X2 chips because one side has cap. packs VERY CLOSE to the edge and are easier to hit.


My clawhammer that I do not have a picture of was the first CPU I took the IHS off. I nicked two capacitor packs. After that, the bios began reporting the default voltage as 1.3something (1.5v is real default)... but it still would boot where I could change it to the right voltage... but others are not so lucky.

I hated knowing I was using a "damaged" CPU... hehe... if I knew where to get replacement capacitor packs... I would have had my friend rework them on his flowsolder machine.
 
Kermit said:
I personally only use waterblocks, but theres lots of people who use air when going lidless. Usually I hear them talk about the XP-90 as a good fan when going lidless.
see, with a waterblock, i wouldnt be too worried. the system gets bumped, theres not lots of weight on teh CPU that can be shifted around. on my SI-120, however, there is a lot of mass and weight that can be shifted around and could easily crush the core if a large jolt were given to the case. also, i like my warranty :p
 
man, that reminds me of last nights dream that I got a WC system, i think i'll go buy one now from XOXIDE.
 
yeah of course, for some reason I screw up everything that I try to mod, really bad, so i'm doin it careful
 
link is.. not functioning? also, shoot me a pm, i can host the pic for you if you want
 
oh no, what I did was put a layer of saran wrap to at as a dielectric material between the sheets
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
these pictures scare me. is that cpu sitting directly on aluminum foil? :eek:
and that would be bad WHY? Since Al is a conduction, the possibility of an ESD is significantly smaller than him putting it directly on Saran wrap. Only insulators are capable of storing high amounts of charge, consider that the dielectric in a cap is non-conductive.
 
wait, so whatd you do? pop ihs, re-apply thermal paste between core and ihs, lap ihs a bit, and put the ihs back on? let us know how temps change :)
 
drizzt81 said:
and that would be bad WHY? Since Al is a conduction, the possibility of an ESD is significantly smaller than him putting it directly on Saran wrap. Only insulators are capable of storing high amounts of charge, consider that the dielectric in a cap is non-conductive.
yeah, i realized this afterwards. brain-fart moment i guess. plus, i'm a mechE, not EE :p
 
yeah, one thing, im gonna have to get a 754 board :p :p :D thanks eclipse.


My idea was that the Energy would be stored inbetween the sheets, and stay there
 
looks like you dug kinda hard in the corner at first.. I can see a bit'o copper there... Hopefully everything works wonderfully! And the reason again as to why you are putting the IHS back on?
 
Hey... did anyone notice that they put this thread on the |H| front page? Go us.

THANKS GUYS!
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
yeah, i realized this afterwards. brain-fart moment i guess. plus, i'm a mechE, not EE :p
yeah yeah... excuses!!

qdemn7 said:
My God!! The size of the core on that thing! :eek:

Yeah that intel chip is well hung.


 
I killed two San Diego 4000s and one SD 3700 by trying to remove the IHS. In all of those cases, I did not chip the core and did not cut off any of the resistors.

Remove that IHS at your own risk!
 
Where is this video of taking off the IHS....

I am thinking about taking them off of my 1.6LV Xeons.
 
GO THIS THREAD, oh yeah... anyway, the reason i put the IHS back on was to protect the core, trust me everything will go wrong if I don't, I contract major parkinsons whenever doing anything small and important. :D
 
Enjoicube said:
GO THIS THREAD, oh yeah... anyway, the reason i put the IHS back on was to protect the core, trust me everything will go wrong if I don't, I contract major parkinsons whenever doing anything small and important. :D


Im not even going to respond to that....



Im working on the video. Pinnacle Studio is giving me problems.


 
bubblethumper said:
I killed two San Diego 4000s and one SD 3700 by trying to remove the IHS. In all of those cases, I did not chip the core and did not cut off any of the resistors.

Remove that IHS at your own risk!


Care to explain your process of the IHS removal? If you do it correctly, you have a very small chance of damaging the CPU. And the fact that you tried it on 3 CPU's worries me.


 
Kermit said:
Care to explain your process of the IHS removal? If you do it correctly, you have a very small chance of damaging the CPU. And the fact that you tried it on 3 CPU's worries me.
i would agree... soemthing weird must be going on here. if they really are dead, feel free to mail me one or two ;)
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
i would agree... soemthing weird must be going on here. if they really are dead, feel free to mail me one or two ;)

Damn.. beat me to it.. Ill take the one(s) you dont mail to him.
 
Back
Top