• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Show off your lidless CPU

Enjoicube

Gawd
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
530
Ok, i dont know how well this will work, but I want to see lidless CPU's of all sockets. I am thinking about removing my sempy 2800 lid tomorrow and will post some pics if I do. I want to see all the core sizes etc. very sexy :p so show what you got, or show your balls (METAPHORICALLY)
 
3200+ Clahammer:

clawhammer.JPG




3700+ Newark:

1_78.jpg



Opteron 146:

1_72.jpg

1_75.jpg
 
thats really sweet, i'm sorta regretting not getting an opty but as my luck would have it. By the way, that 3200 claw looks like its divided up into states lol.
 
i don't think socketA should count ;)

also, i just did a comparison in photoshop, the newark and opteron have the same die size :cool:
 
I dunno, I am more looking for CPUs that once had a lid, so in a way Cf(eclipse) is right, but socket A cpu's are lidless right. ;) also cf, is that a chip on the lower right hand corner of your 3700?
 
u said all sockets so that could be anywhere from super socket 7 to socket 940
 
damn now i wish i had a pic of that 500Mhz k6-2 i fried in school cuz i took the IHS off
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
3700+ Newark:

1_78.jpg
Mmm....sexy. I'd be prepared to give you an awful lot of money for something like that. It's so difficult to get anything in Australia :mad:.
 
yeah, i tried taking the IHS off a k7, that was the hardest thing EVER, it would not budge, not through razors, not through heating (don't care if it gets destroyed) not through anything.
 
heh, looking at the AU prices, it seems like an exponential growth off of US currency, also the stock of stuff there is low looking at some sites.
 
Enjoicube said:
yeah, i tried taking the IHS off a k7, that was the hardest thing EVER, it would not budge, not through razors, not through heating (don't care if it gets destroyed) not through anything.

There were no K7 CPU's with lids lol. K7 = Socket A
 
Enjoicube said:
heh, looking at the AU prices, it seems like an exponential growth off of US currency, also the stock of stuff there is low looking at some sites.
Heh. Yeah. Stock levels. Wtf are they? Those things they put on there are usually off. There's no such thing as 'live stock' in Oz. And don't even try calling and asking for a certain stepping. There's two places that do it, one is known for some slightly questionable business tactics, and the other will charge you an arm, leg and kidney. And in weekend Australia, you need your kidneys....:D
 
maybe he meant the die cover... he could have wanted to expose the actual core.
 
banGerprawN said:
Mmm....sexy. I'd be prepared to give you an awful lot of money for something like that. It's so difficult to get anything in Australia :mad:.
no you wouldn't. doesn't post. look carefully at the closest corner ;)
the only cpu i've killed :(
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
no you wouldn't. doesn't post. look carefully at the closest corner ;)
the only cpu i've killed :(
I shouldn't laugh about that...but lol. That's pretty unfortunate. And that's the tiniest chip ever. I didnt even notice it until you said something. I'm fairly sure I'd done some bigger stuff on a mobile AXP and the old Newcastle, and they kept right on going. The Newcastle got beastly, afterwards, I think. 2730Mhz at 1.86v stable, IIRC....lol.
 
yeah, i was shocked that it killed it too. oh well, shit happens :p
i have an athlonXP with a chip out of both corners easily 2x the size. i think they built a bit more leeway into the cores back when they were unlidded stock
 
Enjoicube said:
I dunno, I am more looking for CPUs that once had a lid, so in a way Cf(eclipse) is right, but socket A cpu's are lidless right. ;) also cf, is that a chip on the lower right hand corner of your 3700?
u fail at using parentheses in eclipse's name :D

and woot tic tac toe :)
 
I was thinking about doin somethin like that, replacing my 2800's ihs with an X2 one and showing my friends that I have an X2 :D
 
To those who have uncapped their K8's, did it improve your cooling only or your OC as well? If so, what was the temp delta?
 
yeah there is a purpose, IHS's are made out of metal, which of course has a lot of surface imperfections, whereas the core is much smoother. Also an ihs is INDIRECTLY contacting the HS so with a unlidded CPU you get a lot better contact.
 
I didn't want to thread hack but I search lidless and couldn't find much of anything.

Thanks... now you've aroused my curiosity!!! :D

Well AMD64 don't really run hot...Why don't ppl do this with prescotts?
 
kermit, that "FX-57" looks like a 512kb cache core.. more square than rectangular
 
Unless I took a pic of the wrong chip... or labeled that pic incorrectly.. :D My appologies.
 
Back
Top