• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I upgrade?

Vect-Rex

n00b
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
46
Hello, so I'm wondering if I should upgrade my computer. I've been thinking about either more or faster ram, a qx9650 or raid0 solid state drives. If someone has a better idea I'm all ears.

Specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 x64
Psu: Antec 850w
Motherboard: Asus rampage extreme
Memory: 4gb ddr3 1333mhz
Cpu: E6750 dual core 3.5ghz
Video Card: Ati xfx 4890
Hard disk drive: 320gb seagate
 
Unless you're doing extensive photoshop or video editing work zero reason to get more RAM. Zero reason to get higher speed RAM right now. Unless you can get the QX9650 for $150, no point in doing that upgrade either.

The main quesition is this: What do you hope accomplish with an upgrade? Secondly, what's your max budget for an upgrade?
 
better overall and mostly gaming performance. The qx9650 is around 200-300 on ebay I figured that wasn't such a bad deal, but then again is it?
 
onless you are getting that cpu used at great price... save your money and upgrade to better platform.
 
better overall and mostly gaming performance. The qx9650 is around 200-300 on ebay I figured that wasn't such a bad deal, but then again is it?

it seems really unnecessary to upgrade to a better platform
Well unfortunately, you decided to upgrade too late. The QX9650 is till a bad buy at $200 since you can get an equally fast, if not faster, AMD setup that would have more of a CPU upgrade path. It's a pretty shitty buy at $300 since you can get the faster Core i5 750 + P55 motherboard for the exact same price.

So, again, unless you can get that CPU for $150, not worth buying at all.

What size monitor do you have? What games are you playing?
 
you're saying i'm able to upgrade my platform for $300? 24" dell 1920x1200 and modern games like crysis, l4d2, mafia 2, tf2, mw2 typical stuff I guess.
 
you're saying i'm able to upgrade my platform for $300? 24" dell 1920x1200 and modern games like crysis, l4d2, mafia 2, tf2, mw2 typical stuff I guess.

Yes you can upgrade your platform for only $300:
$285 - Intel Core i5 750 CPU + Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Intel P55 mATX Motherboard Combo

Reuse your DDR3 RAM and you're set.

For improved gaming performance, the GTX 460 1GB would be a good idea.
 
I dont know if i wanna give up my rampage extreme to the micro p55. Is it just as good?!
 
I dont know if i wanna give up my rampage extreme to the micro p55. Is it just as good?!

Not as good but sufficient. I mean, what features of the Rampage that you actually use and need?
 
It just seems like an overall reliable motherboard, I've never had any problems with it. I've used the cpu level up function to get my e6750 from 2.6 to 3.5 as well which is a lot simpler
 
Wouldn't the qx9650 beat the i5 at 4.3ghz?

Well if you keep the i5 750 at stock, then yes. But a Core i5 750 OC'd to even 3.6Ghz, doable with that Gigabyte mATX motherboard, will beat the QX9650 at 4.3GHz. With a higher quality motherboard, you can hit 4Ghz with the Core i5 750 and just demolish the QX9650.
 
How much a performance gain will i receive with the i5 over my e6750? How noticeable will it be?
 
How much a performance gain will i receive with the i5 over my e6750? How noticeable will it be?

Pretty noticeable depending on the app and game. Roughly 30% at least at stock clocks depending on the game and app.
 
memory you currently have what voltage does it operate at? anything higher than 1.65v you will need to get new memory.
 
I think I'd rather go on the route of an I7 how much would that run me?

Depends on which Core i7 route. The Core i7/X58 route will cost you about $600 to $650. The Core i7/P55 route will cost around $400 to $450 depending on the motherboard you choose. And no for gaming, the Core i7/X58 route is not worth the extra $200.
 
If gaming is your priority, you could even go with the Core i5 750. While some games do take advantage of a quad-core processor, the video card still drives the majority of today's games.
 
Go with this:

Yes you can upgrade your platform for only $300:
$285 - Intel Core i5 750 CPU + Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Intel P55 mATX Motherboard Combo

Reuse your DDR3 RAM and you're set.

For improved gaming performance, the GTX 460 1GB would be a good idea.

While the i5-750 lacks the Hyper Threading support that its Core i7 siblings have, it's still a very good processor. It beats out the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T in most gaming benchmarks (and is still competitive with the AMD hex-core in most productivity benchmarks).

If your old RAM runs at over 1.65V, get this kit instead:

$92 - G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1600

It's not much more expensive than other DDR3 1333 kits that are available.
 
Wouldn't the i7 provide a larger performance gain over the i5 and it seems for only a slight price increase.
 
Wouldn't the i7 provide a larger performance gain over the i5 and it seems for only a slight price increase.

A Core i7 doesn't provide enough of a performance increase in games to justify the extra $45 to $90 for one. If you were doing extensive video editing or photoshop work, the Core i7 route would be a good choice.
 
I'm kind of stuck here, should I choose 2000mhz memory with 99924 timings or 1600mhz memory with 78720 timings?
 
I'm kind of stuck here, should I choose 2000mhz memory with 99924 timings or 1600mhz memory with 78720 timings?

No difference between the two in real world performance. Just go for the cheapest.
 
would tighter timings produce more noticeable performance or would higher mhz?

Same result either way actually. Neither provide any sort of any real world performance difference.
 
i'm going with an i7 so i will need trip channel as well as a new cooler. For the cooler im thinking about the cooler master v8, how is that?
 
i'm going with an i7 so i will need trip channel as well as a new cooler. For the cooler im thinking about the cooler master v8, how is that?

Which Core i7 are you talking about? As said earlier, there's the Core i7/X58 which supports triple channel RAM. The Core i7/P55 route only supports dual channel.

Oh and the V8 is a good HSF.
 
core i7 930 and p6t deluxe v2

You do know there's no major performance difference between Core i7 930/X58 and Core i5 750/P55 in 97% of the games out there right? So considering that your main usage with the PC is only gaming, I'm trying to understand why you think you need to spend the extra cash for no justifiable performance increase for gaming.
 
Back
Top