Should I purchase this $1,300 computer?

Sometwo

Limp Gawd
My computer is 8 years old and started smoking yesterday so I want to get a new computer that will be able to play FPS games like Far Cry 2, Crysis, etc. I'm thinking about purchasing it from CyberPower What do you think about these specs? Is there something better for the money?

Total: $1,357.00

* CAS: Apevia X-Supra Gaming Mid-Tower 420W Case (G Type Black Color with Side-Window)

* CS_FAN: Extra Case Cooling Fan [+3] (3 x Fans [+6])

* CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit [+54]

* HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

* VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB 16X PCI Express [+153] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])

* MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5N-D nForce 750i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard [+13]

* MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Mushkin Value Select [+40])

* NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD

* CD: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

* KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BLACK COLOR)

* FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

* MOUSE: Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (BLACK COLOR)

* OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 3 [+15]

* PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU [+19]

* POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts Power Supplies [+9] (Nzxt PP600 Watt Power Supply-SLI Supports)

* SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS 24/7 LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

* SPEAKERS: Logitech X-240 2.1 Configuration Subwoofer Speakers System [+23]

* USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

* WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card

Blech to those Logitech speakers. Please don't.

Yeah, if you are going to purchase a prebuilt computer, this one is solid. But are you SURE you really don't want to build your own? This would be so much cheaper if you did. And better.

Oh btw, if that liquid cooling is for overclocking, you better get a better motherboard than that.

Blech to those Logitech speakers. Please don't.

Yeah, if you are going to purchase a prebuilt computer, this one is solid. But are you SURE you really don't want to build your own? This would be so much cheaper if you did. And better.

Oh btw, if that liquid cooling is for overclocking, you better get a better motherboard than that.

What's wrong with Logitech speakers?

About how much would I save if I built it myself? I haven't built a computer since around 2002. The hardware has changed so I'm worried I might break something.

I got liquid cooling only because it wasn't that much more expensive.

Thanks for your reply! :)

Don't get the computer from CyberPower, as their customer service is reportedly horrible. Try a different vendor like AVADirect.

Then again, you could build a much better computer for less than that. For example (all prices come from NewEgg):

$50 - Cooler Master Centurion 590 ATX mid-tower case
$80 - Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W power supply
$400 - Asus P5Q Pro motherboard & Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 combo deal
$41 - Xigmatek HDT-S1283 & ACK-I7751 retention bracket
$55 - G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 desktop memory kit
$70 - Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA HDD
$25 - Samsung SH-S223F SATA DVD burner
$220 - EVGA GeForce GTX 260
$100 - Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM
=====
$1041 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

You would have plenty of money left over for a keyboard, a mouse, speakers, and a wireless card.

Our problem with Logitech is that they don't quality speakers. In this case, it's a case of "you get what you pay for." They may be fine for gaming, as they produce a lot of bass, but for quality audio, you may want to look at other brands (like Swan or Klipsch) or even bookshelf speakers (connected to an amp or a receiver).

That's quite a bit cheaper, I think I'll go that route. Thanks for the help!

Check out the GenHard FAQ as well. It contains links to several sites for first-time builders (and it can answer a few of the questions that you may have).

I concur with tiraides: DO NOT BUY FROM CYBERPOWER!

Unless you want horrible service and all.

Don't buy from iBuypower either. I got a PC from there for my friend and it came with nothing plugged in on the inside. Lucky I knew how to connect cables (lmao) but many people don't.

with that system hes building I would rather see him get the 650w psu. But good find I overlooked that one.

I would go Antec 300 case + Antec NeoPower 500 PSU for $90

and

MSI Geforce GTX 260 for $210 w/free shipping video card.

In the end

Case/PSU (Combo Deal) - Antec 300 + Antec NeoPower 500 for $90
Mobo/CPU (Combo Deal) - Asus P5Q Pro ($15 MIR) + Intel Q9550 (2.83ghz) Quad for $400
Heastsink - Xigmatek HDT-S1283 & ACK-I7751 retention bracket for $41 w/free shipping
RAM - OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4gig DDR2 800 for $43 w/free shipping
Video - MSI Geforce GTX 260 for $210 w/free shipping
HDD - WD 6400AAKS 640gig for $70 w/free shipping
Optical - Samsung 22X Sata DVD burner for $25 w/free shipping
O/S - Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64bit for $100 w/free shipping

Total - $979

There is a Dell studio desktop with the new i7 chip, which will beat out all the previous generation desktop for $950. I don't know what the upgrade cost for the video card is, but this is such a good deal. You might want to check if they offer it in canada as well, or if you have someone in the US ship it to you.

should I make a thread to see how many people who have a clue recommend a cooler master psu?

Do you really think that I'm retarded? The Real Power Pro is one of the better quality power supplies around. It's also 80 Plus certified... something a lot of the "el cheapo" power supplies aren't.

The only reason I went with the EVGA GTX 260 was because it had a free copy of FarCry 2. For $10 more, plus its limited lifetime warranty, I thought that it was worth the extra money.

The main point of my build wasn't to find the OP the cheapest build available, but to show him that he build himself something similar to that prebuilt rig for less. That's not to say you guys can't recommend something cheaper or better... but there is a method to my madness.

Personally I would:

(Build myself)

Look at getting an Asus Motherboard and PSU
Get a better Graphics card (GTX260) the 280 is a little overpriced
Get 1066 memory if you can afford it
STAY AWAY from liquid cooling unless you are OCing... can be a major pain in the @ss
Look at getting 3 total hard drives: 2 in a RAID-0 and one for backups

The only reason I went with the EVGA GTX 260 was because it had a free copy of FarCry 2. For $10 more, plus its limited lifetime warranty, I thought that it was worth the extra money.

Good call.

Yea the Real Power Pro series are fairly good PSUs for the money.

I have been running one for years. I bought it based on a review over at Silent PC Review and they have reviewed several other RealPower PSU's since and have given them all good marks.

I have never seen anyone recommend a Coolermaster psu was more my point. One of the more important issues when it comes to a quality built psu is the consistancy of the manufacturer. Many of the lower end companies have 3rd parties builld the units and they put their name on them. This often times leads to giving the work to the cheapest company and not necessarily the most consistant and high quality companies doing the work. There is more to a psu (as other things) than the specs. Just because its 80% efficient doesn't speak to the items quality.

I have never seen anyone recommend a Coolermaster psu was more my point. One of the more important issues when it comes to a quality built psu is the consistancy of the manufacturer. Many of the lower end companies have 3rd parties builld the units and they put their name on them. This often times leads to giving the work to the cheapest company and not necessarily the most consistant and high quality companies doing the work. There is more to a psu (as other things) than the specs. Just because its 80% efficient doesn't speak to the items quality.

Personally, I don't trust the "consistency" of a manufacturer very much. That's blind, dogmatic faith in a company that consists of hundreds of different workers, managers, offices, subsidiaries, and countries. That's dumb. I look at the specific product and if it is good or not. And you're right about efficiency not being the only factor in quality, but apparently the Real Power line are solid and reliable as well.

For example, Logitech input devices are great (i.e. mice, keyboard), but their speakers? Blech! Especially if you're partial to audio fidelity.

Back