• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I get TF2?

Gabe3

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
May 23, 2006
Messages
3,919
The only other PC game I have been playing is a little COD4. Its a great game, but its lack in teamwork features leaves me looking for something else. The only other game I see is TF2. I never played the original. The graphics look "fun":rolleyes: I thrive on the days from desert combat mod of BF1942.

Anyway I don't want to go throw away more money for a game missing features that I wanted another game to have(COD4).

I checked on game monitor and notice theres TONS more people playing COD4 then TF2. Wondering why this is?

TF2 is $29.95 from steam it says. I don't need any other games to run it right? So do you think I should get it or no? Please leave a reason...
 
does the pope wear a funny hat?



sure does!!

get it!

my reason:

I cursed myself the first 5-6 hours after buying it and playing it

Then the next time i played it, everything started to click, and now im addicted,

maybe its like smoking a cigeratte, sucks the first few times, but then you are addicted

Love the game, Hate ciggerets.
 
Buy the Orange Box, there's plenty of goodness in there. I myself loved TF2 from the instant I started it up.
 
I am probably going to be the minority here, but I am going to say NO. I was a hardcore 1942 DC player, and am now a BF2 player. I purchased the orange box and I can honestly say I don't enjoy TF2 at all. Maybe its just the horrible weapons that I can't get used to, but I really wish there was a demo before I wasted my money on it.
 
I'm not getting the orange box, just TF2 stand alone. Still have not decided yet. Keep the comments coming though, thanks.
 
Warning: TF2 is very, I repeat VERY ADDICTIVE
I played TF2 for 10 hours straight after I bought it and I play it everyday that I can.
It is one of the greatest multiplayer games out there, it is a must have.
 
I'm just saying you get a whole lot more for not much more money if you buy The Orange Box.

Especially if you've never bought the other games. Unless you have 0 desire to play good singleplayer FPS/puzzle games then you should get the box imo.
 
I didn't like TF2 the first time i played it, but now im hooked on it, its crazy.
 
TF2 is great! IMHO it's the variety of classes that make it so enjoyable. Each one has very pronounced strengths and weaknesses. They keep the game play from becoming repetitive as each has many nuances that must be mastered. Team work is also a must, which can make the game frustrating at times. It's not like other games where one player can dominate (ala CS) and it's not like BF2 where many players are simply trying to earn points and disregard the team aspects (don't get me wrong, I love BF2). Some people don't enjoy the visual style, thats fine, but they will surely be missing out on some of the finest gameplay offered up in a long while.
 
Get it. It does take a while to get used to all the classes though but once you're comfortable with all of them it will be pretty fun to utilize each of them.
 
It's a lot of fun. It may seem like a simple, cartoony game but there's a ton of depth to it. Each class offers such a different play style, which can take a long time to master. I'm constantly encountering new ways to kill people (although usually I see these things from the receiving end :eek:). Everything in the game is finely balanced: any defense can be cracked and any offense can be stalled with a good team.

On top of being an extremely solid multiplayer FPS, it's funny as hell. The taunts (press G) and all the little things that the characters say are entertaining and make the game special. I don't know how else to describe it. If this was an RPG or MMO, I'd say something cliched like, "It makes you feel like you're in a living, breathing world," but this is a multiplayer FPS. You're not supposed to snicker at something your character said after mowing down enemies (or vice versa) for some reason- it just doesn't happen. Honestly, I've been playing ever since it came out and the Medic's "I am on fire!" still cracks me up (it's not said in the context you're probably thinking of ;)).

So buy it and enjoy it. You'll be glad you did.

If you're still undecided, watch the "Meet the ..." clips. They'll give you a taste of what the humor's like.
Demoman
Engineer
Soldier
Heavy
 
Now that I think of it, the weapons are made pretty low in quality. Most of the classes have shotguns which doesn't seem like they fire a punch. They should make the animation more dramatic or something. But other than that, I enjoyed this game most of the time. The graphic style is great. I love the character models in this game.
 
Now that I think of it, the weapons are made pretty low in quality. Most of the classes have shotguns which doesn't seem like they fire a punch. They should make the animation more dramatic or something. But other than that, I enjoyed this game most of the time. The graphic style is great. I love the character models in this game.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the visual design of the shotgun or the actual gameplay of shooting people with it, but it's one of the most powerful weapons in the game. It fires fast, the recoil and spread are very low for a shotgun, the damage at close and medium range is enough to 3 shot most classes with good, non-critical hits, plus it's good as a secondary for the soldier and pyro when it is simply unreasonable to keep firing rockets or trying to flame the target.
 
I'm just saying you get a whole lot more for not much more money if you buy The Orange Box.
I know what ya mean, I don't think I have any desire to play the puzzle one because I get motion sickness in those types of games. The crysis zero gravity place I almost pasted out in:eek:
It's a lot of fun. It may seem like a simple, cartoony game but there's a ton of depth to it. Each class offers such a different play style, which can take a long time to master. I'm constantly encountering new ways to kill people (although usually I see these things from the receiving end :eek:). Everything in the game is finely balanced: any defense can be cracked and any offense can be stalled with a good team.

On top of being an extremely solid multiplayer FPS, it's funny as hell. The taunts (press G) and all the little things that the characters say are entertaining and make the game special. I don't know how else to describe it. If this was an RPG or MMO, I'd say something cliched like, "It makes you feel like you're in a living, breathing world," but this is a multiplayer FPS. You're not supposed to snicker at something your character said after mowing down enemies (or vice versa) for some reason- it just doesn't happen. Honestly, I've been playing ever since it came out and the Medic's "I am on fire!" still cracks me up (it's not said in the context you're probably thinking of ;)).

So buy it and enjoy it. You'll be glad you did.

If you're still undecided, watch the "Meet the ..." clips. They'll give you a taste of what the humor's like.
Demoman
Engineer
Soldier
Heavy
Thanks for all that.
Now that I think of it, the weapons are made pretty low in quality. Most of the classes have shotguns which doesn't seem like they fire a punch. They should make the animation more dramatic or something. But other than that, I enjoyed this game most of the time. The graphic style is great. I love the character models in this game.
What are the weapons like anyway? Are they at accurate? (if you think BF2's weapons are accurate please don't answer the above question, lol. How many shots does it take with a shotgun for example to kill someone?

Another question. Can you find a buddy on the battlefield? Example, lets say I am friends with Coco-the-monkey, could I add him to a buddy list type thing and be able to find him on the battlefield, like would his position show up different on the minimap or something?

Also a similar question to the above. Are there squads? and when you talk with your microphone, does the whole team hear you?
 
just buy it,
the reasoning is this, while COD4 is fun it is a COD game and TF2 is way more entertaining hours of sneaking up behind people and shanking them as a spy is a lot of fun.
 
Just buy the orange box already. You'll doubt yourself until you finish portal and then you'll realize that we were all right.

And we'll be expecting a "thank you for making me buy the orange box" thread, btw.
 
Ehh, I really don't want the whole thing. I have a PS3 thats keeping me busy enough. I'll probably never get around to playing everything orange box has.

Any answers to my other questions though, please?
 
I would recommend the Orange Box just for Portal and Episode 2. TF2 was fun for a while but it lost its shine. Too class based and random for me.
 
What are the weapons like anyway? Are they at accurate? (if you think BF2's weapons are accurate please don't answer the above question, lol. How many shots does it take with a shotgun for example to kill someone?

Another question. Can you find a buddy on the battlefield? Example, lets say I am friends with Coco-the-monkey, could I add him to a buddy list type thing and be able to find him on the battlefield, like would his position show up different on the minimap or something?

Also a similar question to the above. Are there squads? and when you talk with your microphone, does the whole team hear you?

The weapons are accurate in that they will fire and generally hit what you click on. You probably won't be scoring head shots with your pistol, but that's how it should be (how did Halo get that wrong?!). Your shotgun question is tough to answer, because each class has a different amount of health. For example, Scouts have 95 health while Heavies have 300. Additionally, a medic can "heal" a player to 150% their base health, which drains slowly to your normal health after he stops. You won't know when you're facing someone who's just had their health pumped up a bit, so that adds another complication in answering your question.

You can add Coco-the-monkey to your Friends list, and he/she can see and join whatever game you're in. There is no mini-map in TF2, so you're on your own when it comes to finding them in a match. However, the maps aren't that large, so it shouldn't be too hard to find him/her (assuming you're on the same side).

There are no squads. Like I just said, the maps aren't large enough to warrant them. When you speak into the mic, you broadcast to the whole team. I don't know for sure if this is just a server-side option, but I have heard the enemy team's chatter as well.
 
Lots of things to discuss. First off, this game is every bit as addictive as everyone else has been saying. Maybe more, its just a riot to play.

Describing the weapons wouldnt really do this game justice. They are quite accurate as far as they go where you shoot (you can see them too, which is a nice effect IMO). However, its really the balance thats important. Each class is so pronounced (also as said previously) that the weapons take a step back and are overshadowed by the effectiveness of the class as a whole.

There are no squads, but teamwork is HUGE. If you play with some friends and use a mic, its great. This is the first game that I have ever used a mic for, and I love it.

Furthermore, the Steam overlay that the game has to access your friends list is THE absolute best system I ever have used. I havent played CoD4, so i cant relate it to that, but it blows BF2/2142 out of the water. You get little popup messages if a friend messages you in the lower right corner, and to message, or view any steam page info, you just hit shift+tab and it pops up over your screen. Its fast, effective, and very intuitive. You can also very easily join servers that friends are on, including auto-retrying to join a server, waiting for a spot to open.

Additionally, Valve has been updating this game very consistently, which is great! The updates come through steam, so if you leave it open in the background (as i do, 4 gig ftw), you dont even have to worry about it. Bugfixes, new maps, soon to be more weapons... its great.

Long story short, this game is fantastic, and is really only getting better with age. I'm going to go play right now!


Edit: regarding Ozymandias comment about the chat, it is a server option to have the chat broadcast to either just your team or globally. I personally instantly leave global chat, as its pointless. Not many servers use that stupid option though, as far as i have seen.
 
Thanks for all the information! Is there a hit indicater?

No "hit indicator" per se, you do see blood when you hit your opponent though.

Questions like this can best be answered by clicking "buy" on steam.
 
I was extremely disappointed with their last major multiplayer release (DoD:S), but Valve have thoroughly redeemed themselves with TF2 (well, aslong as they don’t go and ruin it with these 'balancing changes' coming soon..). :cool:
 
I just bought TF2 on Saturday. It's so freakin' fun. I'm a long time bf42/bf2 modder and it's been a blast just running around and shooting people. teamwork is great. I've been playing as heavy and soldier mostly. I don't know the maps well yet, so I just follow everyone else. The heavy's mini gun isn't super accurate, but it sure does throw out a lot of lead. :D
 
I loved TF2 the first fortnight or so, but then the novelty wore off and I realised that it's no better than any other FPS out there.

All the whimsical design and Incredibles aesthetics don't make it any different to any other game: good when your team isn't a bunch of morons, bad when they are.

That said, it's now a lot better since the Pyros got toned-down. The game used to suck a fat shaft because of everyone running around nuking people within half a second as pyro.
 
^ I agree with Wally, the game has SO much potential but it gets old pretty fast. I played tfc and cs for well over five years at the cal-i level for a few seasons and looked forward to TF2 more than anything. The artistic design and overall polish of the game is nothing short of amazing but the game is lacking the intangible that made the old cs and tfc so addicting. I still log on every now and then but I never play for more than 15 mins before I'm bored.

Most of all I think I miss fact that one good player cannot change the outcome of the game due to the way the maps and classes are balanced. In TFC one good offensive soldier on dustbowl could easily carry his team to victory with well timed rocket-nade jumps. On the same token, two crack-shot snipers on the defensive end could stop any offensive assault dead in their tracks. I don't like relying on a medic or two to launch any sort of decent offensive, this is further pronounced in pub games where most people just want to blow stuff up instead of healing. Hell I hate playing medic myself so I don't blame them.

The game will remain on the backburner for me until they can strike a balance between classes, weapons (the shotgun especially) and a map that doesn't encourage the turtling seen on the current ones (R.I.P. cp_dustbowl).
 
thanks for the info everyone. Are there spawn points? I'm trying to figure out if its going to be easy to find and stick with a buddy because in COD4 its near impossible.
 
I don't need any other games to run it right?

Since it doesn't look like anyone actually answered this the answer is - No, you don't need any other games. My buddy bought only this (via steam) without anything else - he doesn't even own HL2 and it works just fine.

I too would recommend the game. I find it very funny, with a great graphic style, some very addictive maps, with very distinct and different classes. Also, coming soon will be class specific achievements that when achieved will unlock extra weapons for each class (much like for COD4 does).

Hope this helps you.
 
thanks for the info everyone. Are there spawn points? I'm trying to figure out if its going to be easy to find and stick with a buddy because in COD4 its near impossible.

Each map has designated spawn points for each team. I've never found myself not in the vicinity of a teammate if I wanted to be.
 
thanks for the info everyone. Are there spawn points? I'm trying to figure out if its going to be easy to find and stick with a buddy because in COD4 its near impossible.

Try hardcore S&D. The only gametype I enjoy in CoD4, but bloody leagues ahead of most other stuff.

I liked the insurgency mod for H-L2, and Project Reality for BF2, just to give a bit of indication.
 
Each map has designated spawn points for each team. I've never found myself not in the vicinity of a teammate if I wanted to be.
So you can pick what spawn point to respawn at?
Try hardcore S&D. The only gametype I enjoy in CoD4, but bloody leagues ahead of most other stuff.

I liked the insurgency mod for H-L2, and Project Reality for BF2, just to give a bit of indication.
Heh, I hate S&D because of no respawns, if I played hardcore I would rather be playing americas army.
 
I can't put the game down, it's that good. You better have already purchased it by now! Although, last night was one of my more annoying rounds. I'll spare you the details. Buy it man!
 
I bought the Orange Box when it was 25$ just because. I then built my computer and started playing this game. I have over 12K now and love this game. I am an Admin on a server and seriously kick ass. The best part is when people run demos on you and think you're cheating :)
 
So you can pick what spawn point to respawn at?

No. Some maps have a spawn location for each team that doesn't change for the round. Other maps have shifting spawns so that if you capture a point, you spawn closer to the enemy's next control point. And a map like CTF-2fort has 2 spawns in each base but you don't get to choose one or the other.
 
Back
Top