• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Shield is doing GREAT!!!

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
6,706
So says Nvidia's CEO

SHIELD is doing great. The early reviews are fantastic. . . . Sales have been great. Everything that we shipped so far has sold out and – but we're just starting to ramp production, we've shipped out to our partners only several thousand units, and so it's still quite early to tell. But we're expecting to do quite well with SHIELD.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/162...ses-f2q-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript

Reviews are better than I expected, pretty much all of them priase the build quality, performance, features and PC game streaming, but even then they all doubt Shied will be a hit.
 
I'd love to own a SHIELD if it was a lot cheaper to purchase. I'm glad that it's doing well since it might help future gaming Android-based devices to thrive.
 
I'm hoping it goes for $250 by christmas. I'd like to get one for my kid (ok for myself but my kid can use it too) :D:D
 
I played with it at Quakecon, and I was impressed. Im not usually a fan of joystick contollers and first person shooters but I played one of the zombie games on it and it was very fluid and comfortable. Like others said though, I only wish it was a bit cheaper.
 
I like the idea a lot. That said, too expensive as others have pointed out.
 
These sorts of gadgets I find more interesting than the uber-expensive overclock fancy-pants enthusiast motherboards and such out there that get reviewed so often on tech sites without anybody really asking if there's any point to their existence.

Not to go on a tangent but the whole Intel stack is just insanely expensive when you really think about it. I'm eager to see what these ARM devices can do as PCs in extremely small form factors... at least for things where you just don't need the super horsepower.

And with nvidia dumping their Shield source code to the public, maybe somebody can start doing some interesting customizations. I dunno... just seems like there are exciting things happening in these areas.
 
The problem with the price is that I think most people will want to use it to stream games from their PC...Which means having a high-end rig in the first place.
 
The Shield's pretty great considering the price and specs, but if you own an android smartphone it's pretty useless because you can do everything it does with any controller you want.
 
Low 1000s and it's doing GREAT. They managed sell everything so far... :rolleyes:
Source, or was it your rear?
The Shield's pretty great considering the price and specs, but if you own an android smartphone it's pretty useless because you can do everything it does with any controller you want.

Stream your pc games? Nope. Have a nicely integrated solution without a separate stand and other finicky things requiring a flat surface? Nope.
 
Wow, I feel out of the loop. This is pretty cool. I didn't know you could do this with a phone. Can you link info where I can learn how to do it please? Thank you :)

Sure.

The app I'm using is called Splashtop 2. It just streams your Desktop to your phone basically.

The mount I'm using it called the GameKlip, you can purchase it here.

To get the DS3 controller working as an xbox 360 controller, I use this. It's very simple to set up. Just install the driver, plug in your controller through usb, and from now on it's synced to your PC.

It actually works fine through your router, but if you want a more direct connection you can set up an ad hoc connection. The link is in the description. I just made a .bat file so it's very simple to set up.

That's pretty much it. Games only work in windowed mode, I think if you have a nvidia card and a Tegra device you can use Splashtop THD to play games in full screen, but I believe the software is pretty old and Splashtop 2 might work better.


I'm actually thinking of designing a mount to use my Wii U Pro controller like this, when I have time that it to learn how to do basic 3D modeling and then it 3D printed somewhere.
 
I'd love to have one, but as stated it is way too expensive for my taste. That being said, I totally love joy stick games and I wish they would put out some more games that actually allow you to play with one!
 
The problem with the price is that I think most people will want to use it to stream games from their PC...Which means having a high-end rig in the first place.

Not really. The game is rendered in 720p, the required minimum GTX650 is probably not enough but its not like you need a Titan.
 
Not really. The game is rendered in 720p, the required minimum GTX650 is probably not enough but its not like you need a Titan.

It's still more than the average person would have, I guess is my point. Getting a $100+ video card on top of a $300 portable thing is probably more than most would want to spend, myself included (even though I already have a beefy rig). I don't really care that much about the Android capability, since I have a smartphone, but I guess if you didn't, AND you had the PC capable of using it, it might be an okay price.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $100-150 for it.
 
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me because if I'm in my house, I'm going to game on my PC with a decent sized screen and KB/M. I'd like to try Shield though just to get some first-hand experience.
 
The app I'm using is called Splashtop 2. It just streams your Desktop to your phone basically.

I just attempted to use Splashtop 2 for this, the audio stutters and the video periodically freezes. It's 100% unplayable...
 
Well something may be wrong with your router. Try creating an ad hoc connection and connecting straight to it. You can Also change the splashtop settings from sharp to smooth.
 
Well something may be wrong with your router. Try creating an ad hoc connection and connecting straight to it. You can Also change the splashtop settings from sharp to smooth.
My router works fine for everything else... I use it to stream media all over the house daily. A single 1280x768 stream shouldn't overload it :rolleyes:

For reference, my router is a D-Link DIR-825. The PC I'm streaming from is connected via gigabit ethernet. The phone is connected via wireless N (5GHz).

Machine I'm connecting to is a desktop, has no integrated wifi to make an ad-hoc connection. Range would also be horribly limited with such a setup, making it fairly pointless.

"Smooth" doesn't seem to do anything to performance, just makes the screen blurry... the horrible pausing and stuttering audio is still present.
 
Its indeed looking cool but price is way to high for it, even if its highend and that... psp was super expensive at beginning too now look how cheap they got after a few years..
 
I don't know what I'd even play on it, to be honest. I tried to play a lot of games on my Nexus 7, and most felt like pale imitations of PC games, with a few exceptions, of course.
 
My router works fine for everything else... I use it to stream media all over the house daily. A single 1280x768 stream shouldn't overload it :rolleyes:

For reference, my router is a D-Link DIR-825. The PC I'm streaming from is connected via gigabit ethernet. The phone is connected via wireless N (5GHz).

Machine I'm connecting to is a desktop, has no integrated wifi to make an ad-hoc connection. Range would also be horribly limited with such a setup, making it fairly pointless.

"Smooth" doesn't seem to do anything to performance, just makes the screen blurry... the horrible pausing and stuttering audio is still present.

When I tried through my router I don't get any stuttering but the video does freeze more often. There's probably a bunch of reasons as to why. But with a direct connection it works more smoothly. There may be something you can do to make it run smoother in the router settings but I'm not sure what it could be. For me an ad hoc connection works since I use wireless and I just need to click on a .bat file.

I don't know what I'd even play on it, to be honest. I tried to play a lot of games on my Nexus 7, and most felt like pale imitations of PC games, with a few exceptions, of course.

Yeah I know what you mean.I really hope shield does take off though because that would mean a lot more quality games on the android market. I always felt my phone would be better than my vita or 3ds if there were developers that actually tried to create AAA titles for android too.
 
When I tried through my router I don't get any stuttering but the video does freeze more often. There's probably a bunch of reasons as to why. But with a direct connection it works more smoothly. There may be something you can do to make it run smoother in the router settings but I'm not sure what it could be. For me an ad hoc connection works since I use wireless and I just need to click on a .bat file.



Yeah I know what you mean.I really hope shield does take off though because that would mean a lot more quality games on the android market. I always felt my phone would be better than my vita or 3ds if there were developers that actually tried to create AAA titles for android too.

There's a reason why 3DS and Vita games cost as much as they do. It's because they have a lot of development time put into them, and reasonably large development teams.

Android and iOS have trained players to expect to pay $.99 to $9.99 for games, and that doesn't exactly encourage big development projects.
 
There's a reason why 3DS and Vita games cost as much as they do. It's because they have a lot of development time put into them, and reasonably large development teams.

Android and iOS have trained players to expect to pay $.99 to $9.99 for games, and that doesn't exactly encourage big development projects.

Yeah and if they do put up a game with a high price it will probably be pirated a lot. It's a shame really.
 
Yeah and if they do put up a game with a high price it will probably be pirated a lot. It's a shame really.

It's why I stick to my 3DS for portable gaming. That, and I don't have to worry about draining the battery on my phone while I play games.

Shield needs games. As long as it has games that don't require it to stream them from the PC, then it should do fine.
 
I started playing around with On-Live. It is pretty sweet, I have a 4 year old netbook that can play *some* modern games *decently*.
 
Sure.

The app I'm using is called Splashtop 2. It just streams your Desktop to your phone basically.

The mount I'm using it called the GameKlip, you can purchase it here.

To get the DS3 controller working as an xbox 360 controller, I use this. It's very simple to set up. Just install the driver, plug in your controller through usb, and from now on it's synced to your PC.

It actually works fine through your router, but if you want a more direct connection you can set up an ad hoc connection. The link is in the description. I just made a .bat file so it's very simple to set up.

That's pretty much it. Games only work in windowed mode, I think if you have a nvidia card and a Tegra device you can use Splashtop THD to play games in full screen, but I believe the software is pretty old and Splashtop 2 might work better.


I'm actually thinking of designing a mount to use my Wii U Pro controller like this, when I have time that it to learn how to do basic 3D modeling and then it 3D printed somewhere.

Thats pretty cool, is the battery life the same as playing H.264 content or does it drain even more battery?
 
I bought one for giggles. Interesting device for sure. Sound is great, but it's buggy yet. I was getting in some sky rim and it was playing well, Metro was smooshed and too dark to play. Could not get Tomb Raider to launch at all. In my office with the three 780s steaming up the room, it's nice to game a bit on the porch without having to drag the laptop outside...or downstairs where the AC effective ;) haven't put a lot of time into it, but I needed a new router and saw it in Microcenter so I picked one up
 
I picked one up and I love it, but I wish the game streaming was vendor agnostic. I swapped out my AMD graphics card for a pair of 660Ti's that I'm currently borrowing, pretty cool to be able to play games on your porch or deck in the middle of summer. I haven't really had issues with any games, I think a lot of the issues out there are router related.

Ironically I missed the post above me haha, it's nice to be able to play pc games wherever you please. I also don't feel as guilty playing games while my wife is watching television now, I can sit in the same room and continue playing games.
 
Last edited:
^^ I wound up picking up the Asus AC1750 router, one that was recommended. I think most of my issues revolve around my main rig in 3d surround. If I don't get bombarded with nonsense this weekend I'll poke around with it some more. It definitely needs a WOL and remote shutdown feature built in :cool:
 
Thats pretty cool, is the battery life the same as playing H.264 content or does it drain even more battery?

Splashtop HD is the better program I use it with my AMD and Nvidia setups on my Nexus 7 and Xoom.
 
I bought one for giggles. Interesting device for sure. Sound is great, but it's buggy yet. I was getting in some sky rim and it was playing well, Metro was smooshed and too dark to play. Could not get Tomb Raider to launch at all. In my office with the three 780s steaming up the room, it's nice to game a bit on the porch without having to drag the laptop outside...or downstairs where the AC effective ;) haven't put a lot of time into it, but I needed a new router and saw it in Microcenter so I picked one up

Apparently NVIDIA has made some OS updates already. Does the software update itself or do you have to go out and download it and update it yourself somehow?
 
Back
Top