Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Should be a good game. Let's hope they don't lock it down to a single plat. This time I will await the PC version to play. I finished it on the XBONE and then never got around to playing it on PC. :rolleyes:

Got too many other games in my backlog that take priority. No point paying $21 if I'm not going to play it for at least another 6 to 12 months anyway.
That makes sense. By then the base game + DLC will be dirt cheap.

CDkeys has the base game for $21. Worth it IMO.

They also have the 20th anniversary edition for ~$28, which has all the DLC.

I've been playing through it...great game so far, pretty much the same as the first but I liked that one as well.

I'm game for another one that's akin to the last two. They're the closest thing we have to a multiplatform Uncharted/Assassin's Creed hybrid.
One more along those lines is fine. Any more and they risk burning us out.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
disappointing that Crystal Dynamics is not the developer for this...apparently Eidos Montreal is taking over...I'm hearing that there might be 2 Tomb Raider games in development with Crystal Dynamics leading the A team...sounds confusing...sort of like the Arkham Origins release

disappointing that Crystal Dynamics is not the developer for this...apparently Eidos Montreal is taking over...I'm hearing that there might be 2 Tomb Raider games in development with Crystal Dynamics leading the A team...sounds confusing...sort of like the Arkham Origins release

That doesn't sound good. This is typically how a good series is run into the ground. And even if it is good, we'll get burned out of releases with little change so close to another. I was wondering why it was leaked this early (unless it is just a leak early in development). Then again, this is the studio behind DE: HR and MD, so maybe it can be decent.

Looking forward to it. I completed RotTR at 100%, so I'll for the same with this one. I have yet to play the last SP DLC for the mansion but I'll probably get it during Christmas.

I've had no issues with the Eidos Montreal games that I've played, so I've got no problems with them being the developer. Thief was the worst game they've made and it was still at least okay.

Great, the CoD method of development.

I won't get it because I haven't even scratched the surface of the last two games.

I've had no issues with the Eidos Montreal games that I've played, so I've got no problems with them being the developer. Thief was the worst game they've made and it was still at least okay.

Same here but I can understand some of the trepidation and caution on this (COD carryover.)

Hopefully these do well. I think this series has a lot of momentum to it and potential if they execute it properly.

Shadow of the RIse of the Fall of the Return of the Tomb Raider : Diamond Edition with Pre-order exclusive timed exclusive fanny pack + Bonus Season Pass with extended Warranty.

I got the 20th anniversary edition on greenmangaming.com for $19.60. Looking forward to playing it. The last one I finished with 100% completion, which is rare for me to do.

I like that they officially announced it with only 6 months till release...too many publishers/developers tease their games 1+ years ahead of time...no need for such a long build-up...3-4 months is good enough...movies are different and I can see why they would want to announce it years in advance (Star Wars, Avatar etc)

I know the reboot series has a lot of mixed opinions. But I really enjoy them, looking forward to this. I noticed it said it is developed by Square Enix on the steam page rather than Crystal Dynamics or Eidos Montreal, not sure if it is in error, but some Square developed games have had poor optimization on PC, hopefully that's not the case for this.

Personally I'm waiting for Pantheon Rise of the Fallen, Metro Exodus, Sandstorm Insurgency, and Darksiders 3.
I have The Hunt Showdown and Pillar of Eternity 2 to keep me happy I won't pay full price for this game unless Lara is in the nude the entire game.

Full reveal of the various editions tomorrow.
upload_2018-4-26_16-3-57.png

PC Gamer preview says that it is a Quicktime event masterpiece as the first hour of game play is mostly Quicktime event to cut scene then back to linear rails climbing.
https://www.pcgamer.com/shadow-of-t...ol-setting-but-makes-a-poor-first-impression/

A few quotes from the article. ;)

Stealth will supposedly be a bigger deal in this game, but the only hint of this is a new move that lets Lara press into some vines as camouflage, like Rambo, or Homer Simpson reversing into a bush.

However if this hour is representative of the rest of the game then go in expecting a linear rollercoaster with some nice views and a score somewhere in the 50s or 60s from PC Gamer. The last two games were much more than that, and it seems likely that Shadow of the Tomb Raider will open up and give us the exploration, intricate puzzles and combat that made the other two games quite good. I can only judge based on what I've seen so far, and dramatic corridors powered by quicktime events don't cut it in 2018.

PC Gamer preview says that it is a Quicktime event masterpiece as the first hour of game play is mostly Quicktime event to cut scene then back to linear rails climbing.
https://www.pcgamer.com/shadow-of-t...ol-setting-but-makes-a-poor-first-impression/

A few quotes from the article. ;)

Stealth will supposedly be a bigger deal in this game, but the only hint of this is a new move that lets Lara press into some vines as camouflage, like Rambo, or Homer Simpson reversing into a bush.

However if this hour is representative of the rest of the game then go in expecting a linear rollercoaster with some nice views and a score somewhere in the 50s or 60s from PC Gamer. The last two games were much more than that, and it seems likely that Shadow of the Tomb Raider will open up and give us the exploration, intricate puzzles and combat that made the other two games quite good. I can only judge based on what I've seen so far, and dramatic corridors powered by quicktime events don't cut it in 2018.
It was probably a build specific for the press so they could have Michael Bay moments (I hope it is, anyway...). The last game wasn't like, and the first game was on the edge of what I would consider acceptable in the first 15 minutes.

Personally I'm waiting for Pantheon Rise of the Fallen, Metro Exodus, Sandstorm Insurgency, and Darksiders 3.
I have The Hunt Showdown and Pillar of Eternity 2 to keep me happy I won't pay full price for this game unless Lara is in the nude the entire game.

I see it's a 59.00 game which is ok if it delivers the goods meaning Lara and all her assets.

A lot of games start very linear and uneventful (Uncharted 4 for instance), so that initial impression doesn't scare me. The stealth comment gives me a little pause, though. I *hate* when games force you to go undetected stealthy or you automatically die/lose. They better steer clear of that or I'm out.

I'm a bit worried that Crystal Dynamics is not the developer for this as the first 2 games were amazing from a visual and gameplay standpoint...hopefully Eidos Montreal doesn't screw with the formula and delivers a fitting sendoff...new trailer looks great

25 percent off at GMG already. Just way too soon for me to do it.

It was probably a build specific for the press so they could have Michael Bay moments (I hope it is, anyway...). The last game wasn't like, and the first game was on the edge of what I would consider acceptable in the first 15 minutes.

I hope so. The second game mercifully got us further away from the QTEs vs the first game and I welcomed that balance. I hope it stays that way for this one.

25 percent off at GMG already. Just way too soon for me to do it.

I hope so. The second game mercifully got us further away from the QTEs vs the first game and I welcomed that balance. I hope it stays that way for this one.

Yeah this is one of those games that always goes under the Radar

like this
another lukewarm early impressions article, this time from ArsTechnica...

do you like following a very linear path, occasionally performing active time events because sometimes the game is more interested in being cinematic than a game, in the tradition of Dragon's Lair? Well, if you do, you're in luck. If not, this game doesn't make any different arguments on that front from its predecessors

I noticed three new gameplay interactions in Shadow that I didn't remember from the previous titles...the first is wall-running, and it's just what it sounds like...it's not as easily and frequently done as in, say, the 3D Prince of Persia games, but when it's there, it's there...the second is rappelling from surfaces you're climbing with your pick axe, then swinging on the rope to jump and reach new areas...finally, you can now dive and explore under water...when Smith was asked which new features he's most excited about, he told us about one I only got to see a little bit of: the city-like hubs...

Shadow looks amazing in HDR...I used to say Horizon: Zero Dawn was the best argument for gaming in HDR; then I played God of War...now I think it’s Shadow of the Tomb Raider...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...lara-croft-brings-about-the-mayan-apocalypse/

like this
I'm a bit worried that Crystal Dynamics is not the developer for this as the first 2 games were amazing from a visual and gameplay standpoint...hopefully Eidos Montreal doesn't screw with the formula and delivers a fitting sendoff...new trailer looks great

So this is definitely the last game?

Back