Shadow of the Tomb Raider

This game will probably be bundled with Nvidias Ampere when it comes out then Bitcoin miners will sell the codes for 10.00 each.

Shadow of the RIse of the Fall of the Return of the Tomb Raider : Diamond Edition with Pre-order exclusive timed exclusive fanny pack + Bonus Season Pass with extended Warranty.

What, you didn't go for the all-weather undercoating? Well, ok...

Preorders can seriously F off. And this sounds like one of the more risky ones considering the unproven developer.

Also, I just read the synopsis and did they really need to make yet another plot focused around her father? I'd really prefer they let the character be self motivated rather than motivated by daddy issues.

Last edited:
Overall I have to say I'm feeling some concern and wariness about this title with some of these gameplay descriptions and especially with the lead writer gone. Maybe they shouldn't have done this without that writer or at least moved heaven and Earth to work something out to at least contribute to finishing this particular story arc.

27% off at GMG for the next 7 hours.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-deluxe-edition-pc/

I am currently playing ROTTR, its reasonably entertaining and fun, but even on the second hardest difficulty its not challenging at all. Before even reaching the 50% milestone I have all the best perk and weapon unlocks, maxed out on all resources and ammunition, and am a veritable killing machine. Some of the stealth mechanics are novel, but not at all necessary, and every difficult encounter can be overcome by showering the enemies with grenade arrows.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-deluxe-edition-pc/

I am currently playing ROTTR, its reasonably entertaining and fun, but even on the second hardest difficulty its not challenging at all. Before even reaching the 50% milestone I have all the best perk and weapon unlocks, maxed out on all resources and ammunition, and am a veritable killing machine. Some of the stealth mechanics are novel, but not at all necessary, and every difficult encounter can be overcome by showering the enemies with grenade arrows.
I played it on the hardest difficulty and it felt relatively easy for the most part.

ROTTR is a relatively easy game no matter how you approach it. Even on the hardest difficulty with a pad there are only maybe 3-4 shootouts that offer much of a challenge.
The game is otherwise wonderful, but the AI is horrendous most of the time.

the Tomb Raider reboots aren't about the difficulty...it's about the cinematic presentation...the game is a looker maxed out...I need to replay both games with my new-ish 1440p G-Sync monitor

Last edited:
the Tomb Raider reboots aren't about the difficulty...it's about the cinematic presentation...the game is a looker maxed out...I need to replay both games with my 1440p G-Sync monitor
Well good luck with that. I couldn't max out ROTTR with GTX1080 SLI.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider- E3 Gameplay trailer...
Doesn't look bad, I just fear they're going overboard with trying to further escalate action. My suspension of disbelief has it's limits. Well it might have already been broken by ROTTR.

Doesn't look bad, I just fear they're going overboard with trying to further escalate action. My suspension of disbelief has it's limits. Well it might have already been broken by ROTTR.

I like the setting for the new game- Peru rain forests/lost Spanish civilization...overall the trilogy is excellent...it's not a deep, complex game but it's a lot of fun and the graphics look pretty amazing

damn that was a nice deal...I missed it...don't think it's going to get much cheaper then that before release (from legit sites)

I hope it's better than the last game. While it looked good they made Lara stupid OP to the point where it didnt feel challenging.

Yes, I suspect it is a VRAM issue. 8GB is not enough to max out the game.

You can run ROTTR maxed out 3440x1440 on a 1080ti @ 30FPS a stuttering mess.He can not possibly mean maxed out,he must mean very high setting with FXAA /SMAA .

Reactions: M76
like this
Well good luck with that. I couldn't max out ROTTR with GTX1080 SLI.
I did with a single Titan X at 2560x1440.
You can run ROTTR maxed out 3440x1440 on a 1080ti @ 30FPS a stuttering mess.He can not possibly mean maxed out,he must mean very high setting with FXAA /SMAA .
Well, excluding SSAA. SSAA is buggy in Rise, anyway, and unnecessary. Ran fine with everything else at max in-game setting including VXAO.

Nope, I do mean it. Hardly a stuttering mess, you occasionally see the frames dip at the beginning of new scenes, but for the most part its consistently smooth with G-Sync enabled. I just ran the internal benchmark, and overall it scored 54.19 FPS.

Changing AA to SMAA increased my benchmark score to 82.72 FPS,with no dips below 31.93 for the mountain pass scene.

EdIt :Sorry for off topic ,I love the TR games and I bought this game that the thread is about.September can not come quick enough.
For fun I made a video 4K maxed out on GTX 1080Ti.

Changing AA to SMAA increased my benchmark score to 82.72 FPS,with no dips below 31.93 for the mountain pass scene.

I know how the game runs on 1080Ti and Gsync and SSAA 4x /SMAA/FAA/No AA at all resolutions.
Maxed is SSAA 4x custom settings set to veryhigh.I agree that it can run with SMAA/FAAA/No AA fine but you will get stuttering at higher resolutions dropping below 30 FPS.

If you want prove you can run maxed out at your stated resolution with MSI afteburer graphs on,I would love to see that video.

Last edited:
EdIt :Sorry for off topic ,I love the TR games and I bought this game that the thread is about.September can not come quick enough.

I know how the game runs on 1080Ti and Gsync and SSAA 4x /SMAA/FAA/No AA at all resolutions.
Maxed is SSAA 4x custom settings set to veryhigh.I agree that it can run with SMAA/FAAA/No AA fine but you will get stuttering at higher resolutions dropping below 30 FPS.

If you want prove you can run maxed out at your stated resolution with MSI afteburer graphs on,I would love to see that video.

Buddy I don't know what to tell ya, but ROTTR on my system does not look like your chug fest, and in the same scene the FPS does not drop below 50 according to both the Steam and Geforce Experience counter. I don't have any proper video capture software installed, nor the actual know how to capture either footage or screenshots with OSD overlays because its not something I tend to do. My inclination to spend copious time and effort to prove to anonymous randoms on the internet the truth of what I am saying is also fairly limited.

Perhaps you are overlooking the fact that the relative performance demands between 3440x2160 and 3440x1440 is actually very substantial.

Buddy I don't know what to tell ya, but ROTTR on my system does not look like your chug fest, and in the same scene the FPS does not drop below 50 according to both the Steam and Geforce Experience counter. I don't have any proper video capture software installed, nor the actual know how to capture either footage or screenshots with OSD overlays because its not something I tend to do. My inclination to spend copious time and effort to prove to anonymous randoms on the internet the truth of what I am saying is also fairly limited.

Perhaps you are overlooking the fact that the relative performance demands between 3440x2160 and 3440x1440 is actually very substantial.

This. 3840x2160 is 67% more pixels than 3440x1440.

Well perhaps maybe you missed this part in my post.Your getting way to overexcited for a fucking video game.

Nvidia shadowplay-capture software
Graphs with msi afterburner

Well perhaps maybe you missed this part in my post.Your getting way to overexcited for a fucking video game.

Funny you say that because the only person who seems to be getting their knickers in a twist in this discussion is you. Believe me or don't believe me, I don't care either way but I have no reason to lie about anything as trivial as a video game. ROTTR for the most part runs consistently smooth well above 30 FPS on my system at maximum details.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Welcome to Paititi

IMO that looks pretty pathetic. The characters look janky as hell and the animations look like a massive step back from the previous game. My gosh the faces were stiff and lifeless during dialogue with piss poor lip syncing. And the graphics looked ok at best in spots but fairly crappy in other spots.

Last edited:
IMO that looks pretty pathetic. The characters look janky as hell and the animations look like a massive step back from the previous game. My gosh the faces were stiff and lifeless during dialogue with piss poor lip syncing. And the graphics looked ok at best in spots but fairly crappy in other spots.
To me it looked like a typical overly compressed video so I think the graphics will probably be fine. The lip sync definitely needs a bit of tweaking, it looked ok when they spoke in english but when they were speaking in the native language they seemed wrong in spots. It must be whatever automated system they are using in the game, probably it is tuned for english but not for what ever native language was being spoken. I do agree that the faces were stiff and non-emotive. Hopefully they can fix it before release.

I didn't listen to it, but it looks like it's running on a standard Xbone. Add the typically bad Youtube compression and I don't think this is representative of the final game. I'm sure it will look at least as good as Rise when it comes out in 2 months.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
It doesn't look any worse than the last one. I played it recently. That said it doesn't look better either. Which I had hoped.

It doesn't look any worse than the last one. I played it recently. That said it doesn't look better either. Which I had hoped.
You are blind then because the facial animations and lip-syncing are an absolute joke in this video and look quite a bit worse than the last Tomb Raider game. My God the characters look like freaking robots.

You are blind then because the facial animations and lip-syncing are an absolute joke in this video and look quite a bit worse than the last Tomb Raider game. My God the characters look like freaking robots.
Lip sync and facial animations were noticeably bad in the previous game as well Time makes everything look better. Rise of the Tomb raider however doesn't look better than this. If we remove the compression and the fact that it was the xbox version.

And thanks for calling me blind, I really appreciate it.

Back