SG02 Build Concern, looking for input!

infurion

n00b
Hi guys/gals,

Just to start off, I've completed my SG02-F last week and just recently receive 2 cooling fans, which are now installed (1 exhaust, 1 intake).

I managed to get everything done, and when I installed my OS and some apps to monitor temps, I noticed my CPU temp was idling around 60 C, so I reapplied the thermal paste and got the idle temp. down to around 45-49 C, after 15 minutes of idle.

After I installed two cooling fans, I wanted to run prime95 to check if there was any issues with the system and after a few seconds of running it on small FFT, I reached the following temperatures:

http://imgur.com/sfmbf

I stopped the program instantly and let the computer idle at no load and it reached back to the following temperatures:

http://imgur.com/cFBx0

I was wondering if you guys/gals could provide me with some input as to what may be missing/wrong while testing for system stability. I apologize in advance if this post might be placed in the wrong section, but I thought I would ask in the SFF section first.

Cheers!

Just to give you an idea of the build, these are the specs:

HD:-Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB
Memory:- CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Power:- SILVERSTONE ST75F-P 750W
CPU Cooler:- Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B
CPU:- Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58
GPU: EVGA GTX-570
Optical Drive:- Asus DVD Burner
Cooling Fans (2): Noctua 1800rpm 80mm

71 views and no responses:eek: cmon guys!

The forums has been experiencing issues in the last few days. Plus the SFF subforum doesn't get as much traffice/posting as other subforums to begin with. So those two factors combined have delayed responses to many threads.

Anyway, if the PC starts exhibiting issues, crashes, freezes, etc, during stress testing that's a surefire sign that something is wrong with the system. As for your tempetures, those aren't exactly surprising considering that you have a SG02 case, a low profile HSF, and low speed fans are cause for high CPU temperatures in that setup.

I use a Big Shuriken instead of the Rev. B (In a SG05, but they have the same height restriction) and I have swapped the stock 12mm fan with an normal 25mm fan. It does a great job... then again, my CPU has half the TDP of a i7 :)

Also make sure you don't apply to much thermal paste.

Okay, I had the same case with an i7 930 + R2GENE, and seriously... it was a pain to cool. I eventually stuffed a H50 into the front two drive bays at an odd angle, but even that wasn't enough... The NB overheated like nothing else. The major issue is, the CPU socket area mostly relies on the CPU HSF to cool, and the PSU fan to exhaust heat out...unless if you get the silverstone crossflow fan, which I'd recommend not getting. Eventually, I had two solutions: get a better CPU cooler than the H50 (like a shuriken or the Geminii S), or have more fans blowing air around (not as easy - without some case modding). Eventually, I just gave up and went for a P180mini... (not small in any sense of the word). However, you can install an external WC loop if you like, as a 4th option...

Honestly that cpu is too much for that case. You need to set up extra exhaust fans to get the heat out. Try it without the cover and see what sort of temps you get to get an idea of what they should be.

Try it without the cover and see what sort of temps you get to get an idea of what they should be.

Exactly... this and a little table top fan or box fan to get some air moving through the area will let you know if this a problem with you heatsink or if this is an airflow problem with your case. If your temps are fine with the cover off then you know you have to get some more air going through that case, change to a better heatsink, or both. :(

I just got finished building an sg02-f. Specs seem very similar. Only difference I'm seeing is I'm using an i7 970 w/ a Samuel 17 cooler.

After doing some testing with different fan configurations, here's what I've come up with.

I had to add in these 2 extra fans on the next to the CPU/RAM:

sil-cpu2.jpg

Both are currently used as intake fans. Mounted with heavy duty double sided tape.

Here's the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103081

The 120mm fan I have on the CPU is set as an outtake fan. Pulling air from the the CPU to the outtake fan of my PSU.

Doing that prevents air from lingering in my case.

As for the GPU: I'm using the PNY GTX 570 along with the Rampage III Gene. Since I am currently running 1 GPU, I have it on the 2nd PCI-E slot, that way the heat from the back from the GPU doesn't interfere with the CPU airflow.

sil-gpu2.jpg

Also, since the intake fan is close to the mesh grill - it'll have easier access to air. The top 80mm fan is used as intake, again to help the GPU fan pick up. And the back 80mm is used as outtake.

After such, I ran Prime95 for about 30 mins, and here is what I've pretty much maintained:
cpu.jpg

I've had this system for about a month now - before installing the 2 side fans, I did have heating/crashing issues. None since then.

And here's my system's specs for comparison:
Core i7 970 @ 3.2
Samuel 17 hs w/ 120mm using Tuniq TX-2 thermal paste
ASUS Rampage iii Gene
3x2GB Kingston HyperX 1600
PNY GTX 570
160GB Intel SSD
2TB Samsung Spinpoint

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Ok, thanks alot for all your suggestions. Uhohitzcooky, your recommendation greatly helps, and I happen to have 1 spare fan, so i'll look into removing the fan that came w/ the case and put it by the cpu. Will post later on after progress.

Cheers

I dunno, I tried attaching 80mm fans to the outside, but I didn't see much benefit (was already using the cramped H50). Chipset, the excessively hot running X58, I had to dedicate a 40mm fan onto.

Didn't see any major improvements, with regards to Uhoh's suggestion of additional fans! Even tried removing the case and monitoring temperatures... which did see noticeable differences. I guess I gotta move on to a different case =(

I appreciate all the input and help... ill be posting results when i get a new case. So far i've been contemplating whether to get [URL="Didn't see any major improvements, with regards to Uhoh's suggestion of additional fans! Even tried removing the case and monitoring temperatures... which did see noticeable differences. I guess I gotta move on to a different case =( I appreciate all the input and help... ill be posting results when i get a new case. So far i've been contemplating whether to get the P-180 mini like Jeremy or the Cooler Master Storm Scout/HAF932.

Cheers

lol... the HAF 932 dwarfs my P180mini :p

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The smaller cube case is a SG05 (soon to be joined by a SG06 :D), you can fit top end Sandy birdge CPU into there, and with the 450W PSU, a GTX570 :p: (with some dremeling). At least one member has done the GTX570 (or 470?) in this case, I'll try and find him :) So if you have the budget... SSF is beaconing :)

anigifen.gif

* AM3 DUAL CORE 3.0Ghz
* MSI 880 series MB
* PATRIOT VIPER 4GB RAM 16xMHz
* TR2-R1 (CPU Cooler)
* Cooler Master 700w PU
* ASUS DVD ROM
* WD 1TB
* Vista 64bit
* PNY EDITION GTX 570
* SG02 Case

Honestly, I've not any problem with beautiful SFF's heat. it keeps lowest temp.. ;)

GPU area is seperate, i7 outputs about... 50W more heat than a stock clocked AMD dual core (assuming Phenom II, otherwise, if it's an Athlon II, about 80W more heat).

Back