Setting up Lan Cache Docker DNS in windows server hyper V?

cdoublejj

Gawd
i’m trying to get lan cache working in docker on an Ubuntu VM in hyper V.
i’ve figured out that the network in hyper V needs to reach out side as does the docker network! i’m just not sure how to navigate and configure the docket network.
last time i tried this, i could ping the ubuntu VM but, when setting it as the DNS in the router it broke DNS for the network.
i thought i’d post on L1T, likely in the wrong sub forum to see if anyone has experience or tips

EDIT: https://lancache.net/

it looks the windows server host can't even ping the docker containers inside the ubuntu vm

You want to run a container, inside a VM :wtf:

If you insist on running windows, just install Docker Desktop on the base OS. Done.

What you are wanting can pretty easily be done, but, since you're struggling with the basics, I suggest going a much simpler route...

You want to run a container, inside a VM :wtf:

If you insist on running windows, just install Docker Desktop on the base OS. Done.

What you are wanting can pretty easily be done, but, since you're struggling with the basics, I suggest going a much simpler route...
That's what i thought!!! But, it's wrong. Apparently WSL and docker for windows are POS and have awful IO and IO performance. I did some digging and it is indeed a big complaint. WSL2 has been delayed and hasn't or will not hit server 2019.
Also WSL can't speaker for docker for windows but, i think it's based on WSL anyways, is also just a VM anyways.

technically what you would do is setup ISS and point it to nginx or something or other as seen here: https://www.reddit.com/r/lanparty/comments/7flh3z/steamcache_on_a_windows_box/dqdkr2k/

WAY WAY WAAAAYYYY over my head, and it would be a real bitch any time Lancache has an update. So as far as i can tell without dumping all my windows software i was told the simplest method is docker in an ubuntu vm.

what i've found out is, that lancache or docker isn't opening up the network. i'm going RTFM again. as that would be an issue even if i have an ubuntu box instead of windows.

Back