• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Set the Sith Afire

I'm going to be keeping tabs on this!
I really want to see a review and video posted somewhere. It seems that several have ordered it, but no one actually has one in their possession.

I don't have any need for a strong laser, and if the claims are true. One its dangerous as hell, Two its cheap enough to make that other company's will start producing variants
 
I think the biggest problem with a laser this powerful is that for years people have gotten used to seeing lasers everywhere, and needing no protection. Laser weapons are the stuff of science fiction and military experiments, commercial lasers are perfectly safe. Even the strongest lasers are ridiculously expensive and can at most pop a baloon.

This may not have been exactly true, but it does seem like the general perception of lasers. So suddenly this 1W laser comes out, at a tenth of the cost and several times stronger than the strongest laser previously available. I don't like the idea of having it be regulated, but I think it would be necessary. Not because of how dangerous the laser is by itself, but because people in general have become so accustomed to seeing lasers that they're not going to take the proper precautions when using it.

Sure, there's a warning page. But we've also become used to just ignoring EULAs and other warnings. There's so much paperwork all over the place whenever you buy anything, that someone telling you you have to read a warning doesn't draw attention. You can scream at someone that they're going to go blind from just seeing the dot on the wall, and they're still not going to internalize the warning until someone does in fact go blind.

The fact that it is being marketed as a toy is just irresponsible on their part. Making it look like a lightsaber just encourages uneducated people to use it like one, and possibly ruin their lives forever.
 
where have I said they should be banned? They should be regulated and not just anybody can buy them.

Goggles are meant as the last defense. Your black box example is a safe way to use the laser - but look at the comments in this thread. That is not what people will be doing with it. They are going to be starting fires and popping balloons and the really stupid ones are going to be shining it at animals and insects.




actually you demonstrate my point quite well. Dangerous activities such as the ones you listed are regulated and not just anyone can do them without proper training. Such should be the case with lasers this strong. I've never said they should be banned. IF you want one and have a legit use go for it. I'm just scared for the people who think "oh yea it's dangerous" then go and have a simple/stupid mistake and end up with someone being blinded.

Looks like we've been in agreement then, lol

I thought you wanted it banned and you probably thought I wanted it to be sold in the Kmart toy aisle.
 
These should not be available to the general public. Some little turd in an SUV on the highway temporarily (thankfully) blinded me with a laser pointer. I cant imagine todays current generation of hellions running around with 1W lasers.
 
These should not be available to the general public. Some little turd in an SUV on the highway temporarily (thankfully) blinded me with a laser pointer. I cant imagine todays current generation of hellions running around with 1W lasers.
Jaysus! Yeah, EULAs are not going to cut it. It's just too easy to not get caught using these.
 
I think its a real bad idea to allow the general public to get these. I also can't think of a non-destructive, legitimate use for them.





And yet I want one.
 
I think its a real bad idea to allow the general public to get these. I also can't think of a non-destructive, legitimate use for them.





And yet I want one.

Case-modding of course! Cutting plexiglass and steel or aluminum cases. ;)
 
now seriously, if this can damage the car paint I’m getting one, it’ll be a civilized and safe action against stupid drivers out there.

You are exactly the sort of person who is going to get this thing banned.

Monkey God said:
Some little turd in an SUV on the highway temporarily (thankfully) blinded me with a laser pointer.

Hey look, a suspect...
 
Oh this is bought just for the pure awesome design.

I wouldn't even power it up, it just LOOKS too cool to pass up. I mean $200 for a Lightsaber, the damn geek in me just cannot resist this.

I wonder if I can use this for laser hair removal on that hairy backed neighbor that cuts his grass w/o a shirt.
 
Why would anyone want one of these things outside of a lab setting?

Personally I think they should be regulated in some fashion to ensure that particularly mean spirited people don't misuse them. Police, firefighters, pilots all come to mind not to mention some nut job on a freeway overpass looking down on oncoming traffic.
 
DO WANT!!!

Regarding "legal" issues, I believe there are already restrictions and requirements for industrial grade lasers as it is. If this device crosses a certain threshold I believe we already have laws in place that would apply to it. Not %100 sure on that.

Overall the ATF could swoop in on just about anything that is considered a weapon where the proper permits are not in place. This thing could definitely be considered in a discussion about "firearms" if it can indeed... light an arm on fire.
 
I keep seeing people mention eye damage as well as proper eye protection. Can't this thing also burn your skin? Bad?

So what kind of protective clothing is needed and what can this thing reflect off of? Will it bounce off of white house paint? Black house paint? Tile, granite and all that jazz?

Sounds scary.
 
Put a few thousand people in a closed venue with some reflective surfaces and any idiot could blind them all. Shine this through a school-room window onto a wall and all the little kids will go blind when they look at the dot....... To me, this laser is potentially far more dangerous than a gun in certain situations. I'm all for personal freedoms to do what you like (I have several guns and a CHL). However, this laser should be licensed like a machine gun.. Anyone should be able to own one if they really want to, but it should be an onerous process to do so.
 
I have a ">400mw Hercules", It does a little over 800mw on D cell NIMH batteries.

I used it for some experiments at work since it's so portable and can be powered via an ac adaptor. I lately have been using it to let the dogs chase it and to cut wasp nest off of my house. There's a video I posted online somewhere, I'm sure you all can find it.
 
finally.. a frikin' laser beam I can strap to a sharks head for the torture tank in my evil layer.. muahahaha. *cough*

honestly though, as cool as this is, it sounds very dangerous.. any old PITA doosh can buy one for $200 and start flashing it at cars and people and anything from a far.. sound all bad to me.
 
I haven't read all the comments, but I told my friend about this last night. He was highly interested in it and tried to order one. They DO NOT ship to the USA. Was a bummer, we started thinking of some cool stuff we could setup with the optics kit he was getting with it.
 
They do ship to the USA. The vast majority of wicked's customers are from the USA.
 
Put a few thousand people in a closed venue with some reflective surfaces and any idiot could blind them all. Shine this through a school-room window onto a wall and all the little kids will go blind when they look at the dot....... To me, this laser is potentially far more dangerous than a gun in certain situations. I'm all for personal freedoms to do what you like (I have several guns and a CHL). However, this laser should be licensed like a machine gun.. Anyone should be able to own one if they really want to, but it should be an onerous process to do so.

As a responsible gun owner with several firearms and a Concealed Firearms Permit, I agree that this should be heavily regulated IF it's as dangerous as people are making it out to be. I'm even fine with licensing being similar to class III, although they should allow site licenses for universities, etc, provided the devices are not transported offsite. I'm willing to take the chance that some student with take 1 of these devices off campus illegally, as that's a small risk. I've been to a concert that was canceled due to some @hole shining a laser in through a window pointing at people after a recent shooting in the region. I've also been to lots of other events where idiots are constantly shining lasers off the speakers, etc to show off I guess.

And that's where I see the problem. My first reaction was "cool, that must be fun", and after reading some of the warnings, I'm afraid that some teenager will order one of these and show off by reflecting his 1337 new toy off a kick drum or something, blinding members of the audience.

Now there's the other side where the risks could be overstated, and that it may be unlikely that the visible dot would cause any danger. As long as there is no chance of temporary or permanent eye damage by simply looking at the reflected dot off a standard matte or semi gloss finish, I'm willing to accept the risk of someone shining it directly in my eye, as that's a current risk anyways, even with current lasers.

One last thing... if it's not a toy, please don't make it look like a toy. I understand the whole lightsaber coolness factor, and I'm sure it's helping them move some units, but I guarantee that it reduces the apparent danger to whoever is using it, thus increasing the likelihood of irresponsible usage, etc.
 
They do ship to the USA. The vast majority of wicked's customers are from the USA.

Yeah I checked out their policies after my post. My friend got rid of his bank account and just keeps cash from his checks now, when he needs to order something he goes to walmart and picks up a prepaid debit card. Weird thing is, it came back declined twice, then under further details, it said something along the lines of, can't ship to your country.
 
Anything over 5mW is illegal to the general public in the USA. If any of you get this shipped it's either a huge scam and under 5mW, or they're breaking the law.
 
Anything over 5mW is illegal to the general public in the USA. If any of you get this shipped it's either a huge scam and under 5mW, or they're breaking the law.

We shall see. I ordered one. They didn't make me read or sign off on any hazard form either.
 
Anyone from the USA that ordered one, could you please keep us updated when you get it? Like how long it took to ship, should be pretty quick for 30 bucks I'm assuming. Also if they can find out exactly how powerful it is. Still interesting in trying to get it for my friend.
 
I'll let you know when I get it. Not in any rush to fuck around with it though :D.
 
Anything over 5mW is illegal to the general public in the USA. If any of you get this shipped it's either a huge scam and under 5mW, or they're breaking the law.

They seem to be pretty legit, don't know. Source for your legality statement?
 
Anything over 5mW is illegal to the general public in the USA. If any of you get this shipped it's either a huge scam and under 5mW, or they're breaking the law.

Actually believe I saw someone mention that 5mW law is for laser pointers which are classified differently than these.

Sounds like stupid bureaucracy, but really, anyone surprised?
 
Actually believe I saw someone mention that 5mW law is for laser pointers which are classified differently than these.

Sounds like stupid bureaucracy, but really, anyone surprised?

Hey if you can find a loophole i'm all for it. I just don't want to order one and it gets trashed coming over the border. :D
 
Heh, I'll risk that. I just hope I don't get a knock on my door by men in dark suits and shades.
 
Now there's the other side where the risks could be overstated, and that it may be unlikely that the visible dot would cause any danger.

The risks are not being overstated. This a an extremely dangerous "toy" in untrained/malicious hands.

Anything over 5mW is illegal to the general public in the USA. If any of you get this shipped it's either a huge scam and under 5mW, or they're breaking the law.

since it has all the regulated safety devices built in it is legal.
 
They seem to be pretty legit, don't know. Source for your legality statement?

This is one

Does FDA have a mandatory limit on the power emitted by laser pointers?

Yes. Laser products promoted for pointing and demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation.

21 CFR 1040.11(b) and 1040.11(c), limit surveying, leveling, and alignment, and demonstration laser products to Class IIIa. This means that pointers are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers. There are also limits for any invisible wavelengths and for short pulses. Pointers may not exceed the accessible emission limits of CDRH Class IIIa or IEC1 Class 3R.


The other "sources" are from sites I went to that were selling laser pointers and refuse to ship to the USA anything over 5mW due to the above URL.
 
I guess this is the loophole:

Can battery-operated, portable laser systems be sold in the U.S?

Yes, battery-operated, portable laser systems can be sold in the U.S., providing that they fully comply with the standard, are certified and reported, and are not Class IIIb lasers sold or promoted for pointing or amusement purposes.

So long as it's not sold for "pointing or amusement" and is compliant with the standard, then it can be sold.
 
The risks are not being overstated. This a an extremely dangerous "toy" in untrained/malicious hands.
The problem is that there aren't that many people other than you making these statements that simply looking at the dot will cause instant blindness. There's a risk inherent in everything, and there's always a population that believes that there can be no risks taken, ever (e.g. the bubble types). This exists for everything from pocketknives, to guns, to even cough medicine and insect repellents.

I'd like to see some published reviews of this device, preferably from someone who can actually test the output, and factually state it's inherent dangers. I'm wondering if it's less powerful and they're just trying to scam a quick buck like Chinese importers do with knock-off products.

Again, I'd like for people to be able to purchase this irregardless of it's danger. But if it's truly dangerous, I see no reason why there can't be a registration process similar to the above stated "class 3" license/stamp to purchase it. Those who need it and can use it properly, will go through the hassle. Those who can't use it responsibly will largely not purchase the device (or purchase an illegal knock-off) except for a select few, and I can live with that.

Unfortunately, just like with firearms, the slippery slope argument comes out, and just like with guns, it is a legitimate argument. The thought of banning firearms based on appearance was never permitted under the second amendment, however I'm sure they'll pass another "quote" assault weapons ban that does just that simply based on the fact that the national firearms act was passed, and there is precedent in the previous AWB. I'd hate for responsible laser technicians to be unable to modify the laser's they just purchased for higher output, etc simply because it must remain unmodified under whatever control act they pass. This is an unintended consequence that likely WILL happen when they require registration for such high power lasers. My hope is that they would simplify the process as much as possible but this is the government so that's not possible.
 
It's not really a loophole. As this is NOT a laser pointer, it is also definitely not promoted for 'pointing and demonstration purposes'.

Aside from that, I don't see them getting in any trouble, they definitely have sufficient warnings and advisories, also making you read (well check mark) the dont's in case you somehow didn't see them plastered everyone before ordering. As with anything that has the potential to be dangerous, it's the end user's responsibility. Companies can only go so far in making sure people will be protected, which they seem to have done everything they can.
 
You sit in your office pretending to work while reading [H]forum, suddenly you see a blue dot creep along the wall.

I whip out my trusty sniper rifle, paint a RED dot on him, and blow his Aussie head off. Damned Blu wanker! :D

When a fork can blind me instantly from hundreds of feet away you let me know.

Didn't you ever see Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl? They shot spoons, forks, and other kitchenware out of a cannon. It hit the one pirate in the eye. It was his wooden eye, granted, but had he not been a one-eyed, cursed undead pirate, well, he'd have to wear an eye patch after that. :p
 
Back
Top