Server 08 Domain Controller issue

lone wolf

Gawd
I have just put my first server 08 R2 domain controller on my domain, everything went as exptected very uneventful. the challenge is now I'm trying to ping it and I get nothing. I can ping the network and servers from inside the 08 server with no issues, AD is working inside also, but not when I connect to the 08 server.

another thing I just found is that on the network and sharing center I now see that my adapters are "unknown" and can't pull up any of the networking.

any ideas?

You can't ping it probably because of the firewall. Not sure what you mean that AD is working from inside and not out?

turn windows firewall on but set the policy to accept everything.

chances are you have a windows domain policy to turn off windows firewall. If that is the case... move the server to an OU where the firewall policy is NOT enforced.

I do have it in a DC OU with all of my other DC's.

I can get to the domain AD from inside the server, (logged on to the server), but when I try to get to the AD from my admin tools, I am not able to access the server AD (from my workstation.

the firewall is shut off by a GPO so I'm working on that now.

I had a similar issue at a place with 2008R2...had to turn on the GPO for link layer topology (ie network discovery) with GPO, and allow pings, network shares, etc, then I could ping

Back