Madden NFL 10 (360) -- 289,600
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS) -- 258,100
The Beatles: Rock Band (360) -- 254,000
Madden NFL 10 (PS3) -- 246,500
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (360) -- 236,000
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) -- 212,500
Guitar Hero 5 (360) -- 210,800
The Beatles Rock Band (Wii) -- 208,600

It's not something that you'll see everyday, another console has outsold the Wii.

Well with the price drop to $300 I can totaly see this. A great blu-ray player and console together for $300 is an awsome price, I know its what convinced my wife to finally buy me one for x-mas lol

Well with the price drop to $300 I can totaly see this. A great blu-ray player and console together for $300 is an awsome price, I know its what convinced my wife to finally buy me one for x-mas lol

For $100 more than a Wii it's at least 10 times the system for anyone who isn't a shitfaced 8-year-old.

^lol ok whatever that's why MS and Sony are trying to get in on the Wii's action with interactive gameplay........

OP

If the PS3 continues to sell over the x360 at the current rate, it would take over 51 months for it to surpass the x360.......32.5millions vs 25.3 millions.....short of a miracle from God, there is absolutely no way that the PS3 is going to outsell the Wii

If you look at past sales trends, price cuts only offer a temporary spike in sales..PS3 sales will most likely be no different.

who the fuck is buying ps2s and ds!?

it doesn't help that they're still making PS2 games too :p

Oct 26, 2009
Dance Dance Revolution X2 Bundle ( PlayStation2)
DJ Hero Bundle with Turntable ( PlayStation2)
Ben 10 Alien Force: Vilgax Attacks ( PlayStation2)
Ni Hao, Kai-Lan: Super Game Day ( PlayStation2)

there's still a ton of new games coming out on the PS2?! :eek:

DS sales are continually insane. Over the year its outsold everything else by a big, big margin.

On the flipside, apparently these results include 2 days of PSP Go sales... seems there can't have been a lot of launch interest.

This seemed pretty likely given the sales in August being as good as they were from only a week(or so?) of the PS3's price drop. Will it continue, though? I'm sure Sony hopes so :p

Wasn't GH5 predicted by analyst to outsell Beatles Rock Band 2:1?

PSP Go has all the potential to fail un-admirably.
Its the psychical manifestation of a series of terrible ideas from sony.

^lol ok whatever that's why MS and Sony are trying to get in on the Wii's action with interactive gameplay........

OP

If the PS3 continues to sell over the x360 at the current rate, it would take over 51 months for it to surpass the x360.......32.5millions vs 25.3 millions.....short of a miracle from God, there is absolutely no way that the PS3 is going to outsell the Wii

If you look at past sales trends, price cuts only offer a temporary spike in sales..PS3 sales will most likely be no different.

Yeah I think your right. I don't see the PS3 ever surpassing the 360 in total sales. What I do hope to see is the PS3 sharing the #1 spot with the 360 more often as far as monthly sales go. The next 6 months for the PS3 look to be awesome for releases which should help sell more units. Which in turn will hopefully make the PS3 more appealing for software development.

The thing is how are people using the PS3? I knew it would sell much better for this month and a few more after. But I have some friends (older) who don't play games but bought it just for being a blu-ray player still (that obviously has more multimedia features in it too than a cheap dedicated player)

The thing is how are people using the PS3? I knew it would sell much better for this month and a few more after. But I have some friends (older) who don't play games but bought it just for being a blu-ray player still (that obviously has more multimedia features in it too than a cheap dedicated player)

Exactly. The money is in the games, so, looking at the software chart and only seeing them on there for two hugely hyped multiplatform games isn't that promising...conversly, MS is selling a decent/good amount of consoles, but a metric ton of games, consistently. I think 3rd place is firmly decided.

Funnily enough, they look like they're getting on it just as the "gimmick" stops selling.

It blows my mind so many people think this still. At my office here, 5 of us have PS3s, 2 have 360s. All used for gaming. I personally dont know anyone IRL who has a PS3 that doesnt use it for gaming.

Its not a system lacking in titles like it was the first year.

I bet that those older friends also don't play any games on any other console right? If they play games on another console, don't you think that after a while of owning the PS3, what would stop them from buying a PS3 game when they go to a local retail store and then they see a cheap platinum edition exclusive game?

Im 34 (older if you will)... and have over 40 PS3 games. Use it to watch blurays, and stream movies/tv shows/music from my PC.

Im sure there are people out there who use it for just movies and audiophiles like it too. Stand alone bluray players are cheap enough now, that its not the only option though.

Interesting numbers, but next month will be more interesting to see how sales level out leading into the holiday season.

I'm surprised ODST sold so well. Software sales for the month seemed off overall. I thought Madden NFL usually sold better. And whats up with Batman:AA making the top ten list for the PS3 and not the xbox and The Beatles:RB selling in the top ten on the xbox and not the PS3.

Nevermind, looking at the top 20 list makes more sense and Batman apparently has some PS3 exclusive content.

Some extra numbers...

01. (360) HALO 3: ODST (360) - 1.52M
02. (WII) WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII) - 442.9K
03. (360) MADDEN NFL 10 (360) - 289.6K
04. (NDS) MARIO & LUIGI:BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY (NDS) - 258.1K
05. (360) THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (360) - 254.0K
06. (PS3) MADDEN NFL 10 - 246.5K
07. (360) MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 - 236.0K
08. (PS3) BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* - 212.5K
09. (360) GUITAR HERO 5* - 210.8K
10. (WII) THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* - 208.6K
11. (360) BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* - 202.0K - 208.6K
12. (NDS) KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS 194.0k - 208.6k
13. (NDS) SCRIBBLENAUTS - 194.0K
14. (360) NHL 10
15. (360) NEED FOR SPEED: SHIFT
16. (PS3) NEED FOR SPEED: SHIFT
17. (PS3) MARVEL: ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2
18. (NDS) PROFESSOR LAYTON: DIABOLICAL BOX
19. (WII) WII FIT (W/ BALANCE BOARD)* - 134K.0
20. (PS3) THE BEATLES: ROCK BAND* - 132.4K

Outside top 20:

(PSP) GRAN TURISMO - 18.0k
(WII) DEAD SPACE: EXTRACTION - 9.0k

Miscellaneous:

(PS3) NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA 2 < 38.0K

(PSP) SOUL CALIBUR: BROKEN DESTINY < 26.0K
(PSP) PERSONA < 23.0K
(PSP) MOTORSTORM ARTIC EDGE < 3.0K

(WII) MURAMASA: THE DEMON BLADE: > 35K
(WII) SPYBORGS < 1K

I'm amazed anyone develops for the PSP any more. Those sales are beyond horrible.

It blows my mind so many people think this still. At my office here, 5 of us have PS3s, 2 have 360s. All used for gaming. I personally dont know anyone IRL who has a PS3 that doesnt use it for gaming.

I don't play a whole lot of games any more (kids, school, work, etc) - at my high point I think I had 12 xb360 games and 15 Wii games. Lately it's more like 10 and 10.

We don't own a single PS3 game (besides Tekken 5: DR which I can't sell...I played a ton when it came out...but now I generally stick with SC4 / SF4). My wife bought Heavenly Sword but we never got around to playing it (I sold it when we needed some cash). I had Warhawk for a few months but found I preferred sticking to the 360 for online games like that.

The PS3 only sees BDs these days and DVDs if the wife doesn't feel like waiting for the HD-XA2 HD-DVD player to boot up.

And a PS2 game once in a while. I still have a large handful of PS2/PS1 games I still intend to play...eventually.

But I bought the 20GB PS3 as a PS2/PS1 + Blu-ray machine so I don't have any complaints. If it didn't have hardware PS2 capability, it would likely have been ebayed for a dedicated BD player by now.

Demon's Souls is the 1st PS3 exlusive I've been really interested in. Any maybe White Knight Story if it ever comes out.

*laughing* why is it so hard to believe that people are buying it just for a movie player outside of your little bubble? Hell I don't even game on mine. I mostly game on my PC and 360. I bought it a while ago but I still haven't even touched Resistance 2. But I sure as hell use it to watch a lot of blu-ray movies from netflix. Wii on the other hand I pretty much gave to my parents and they are getting good use of it for exercise (working!) I didn't intended to buy it just for that, but it's ultimately what happened! I like my PS3 not knockin it. I'm glad I bought mine with backwards compatibility too (it's a near launch system)

I bet that those older friends also don't play any games on any other console right? If they play games on another console, don't you think that after a while of owning the PS3, what would stop them from buying a PS3 game when they go to a local retail store and then they see a cheap platinum edition exclusive game?

My "older" friends (they are 45 range, sorry incase it sounds like they 60 :D I'm 31) don't game at all. Honestly, they have admitted they MIGHT get a game here or there to try, but you're looking at casual games like Guitar hero or such. They don't give a shit about exclusive games and it better be cheap. Maybe a download game here or there if there is a demo. But they truly have no interested in that. They like they can rent/buy movies from it, and play music when they host a party as an extra.

You can go to bestbuy or any other store and you see specials about getting a tv with ps3 for Hi Def experiences! I mean it's marketed a lot as an entertainment unit, not just a game console.

There are indeed people who never use the PS3 for playing games.

Someone i know has had the PS3 since launch day, and to this day he still has not played one game on it. He bought it strictly for Streaming video/music/photos.
He also currently does not own a single BD disk either.

Quite some time ago his PS3 was acting up, ( something with the sound).
He called up tech support, and they asked him to pop in a game and do a test.
He replied that he did not own any games, and kinda got them by surprise, so he was unable to perform the test they wanted him to do.

Eventually they were able to figure out what was wrong with it, and it was fixed for free.
To this day he has not had any other problems with it, however since he has never used the optical drive for anything, i wouldent be surprised if when he does try to use it one day, that he may find out there are issues with it, due to lack of use.

Also the other day i was browsing the local Kijiji ads for PS3 games, and there was a senior citizen selling not only the free game that came with his 160GB PS3, but also he was selling both his controllers. He stated that he had no intention on playing games, and that he bought it just to play BD disks, and surf the internet on his tv with his keyboard and mouse, and BD remote.

Personally i never found that a BD remote was necessary as the PS3 controllers do a fine job of playing movies, but i guess the controlers were to complicated for this old guy.

I also bought my PS3 slim with the intent on only using it to stream videos, however i just couldent go without buying a few PS3 exclusive games for it :D

Price drop works....as usual. I am surprised the 360 is up that much though. I figured they would be close to last year.

*laughing* why is it so hard to believe that people are buying it just for a movie player outside of your little bubble? Hell I don't even game on mine. I mostly game on my PC and 360. I bought it a while ago but I still haven't even touched Resistance 2. But I sure as hell use it to watch a lot of blu-ray movies from netflix. Wii on the other hand I pretty much gave to my parents and they are getting good use of it for exercise (working!) I didn't intended to buy it just for that, but it's ultimately what happened! I like my PS3 not knockin it. I'm glad I bought mine with backwards compatibility too (it's a near launch system)

My "older" friends (they are 45 range, sorry incase it sounds like they 60 :D I'm 31) don't game at all. Honestly, they have admitted they MIGHT get a game here or there to try, but you're looking at casual games like Guitar hero or such. They don't give a shit about exclusive games and it better be cheap. Maybe a download game here or there if there is a demo. But they truly have no interested in that. They like they can rent/buy movies from it, and play music when they host a party as an extra.

You can go to bestbuy or any other store and you see specials about getting a tv with ps3 for Hi Def experiences! I mean it's marketed a lot as an entertainment unit, not just a game console.

dont doubt it, but people making it sound that its the only reason the PS3 sells its what blows my mind. would wager on the percentage of PS3 owners who dont game on it is below 2%

that software listmakes me wonder what the heck the US are doing with their psps!! its a shame really as the recent games are bloody fantastic. psp is consistently selling well which makes it very strange, unless most are psn game sharing

I just recently bought a PS3 slim, mostly because the high end multimedia functions on bluray players were still costing $285, so I just paid the $15 more to get the PS3. I'm sure I'll be getting games for it, but they will probably only be console exclusives or the odd game that is better on PS3 than 360 which I would have bought anyway (FF13 maybe).

Now that the low-end bluray players are getting to $100, the PS3 really needs to start pushing the other features of the console. I haven't had enough time to use the multimedia features, so who knows if it better than 360 media center streaming, but I wanted a bluray player with wifi, and at that price point, the PS3 was the better deal.

I'm sure the PS3 will hold on at least through December right at the top. See what happens after December. We're probably getting a 360 for our son for Christmas since that's what he asked for; he already has a PS3.

I don't understand the DS being so popular. It seems pretty shitty to me. We have 2 (one's my wife's and the other my son's). The graphics don't look as good as the PSP's to me and the control scheme is weird.

I doubt the PS3 will be top in October onwards. This NPD only has a few days of sales after the Wii's price cut and I'm expecting it to sell pretty strongly from now until xmas.

So if people are buying the PS3 for movies, not for games, does it mean that the PS3 sales number has a lower significance than the other console sales numbers?

I got the PS3 40 gb when it first came out and have only used it as a Blu-Ray play. I got the Slim on Aug 28, my 42nd B-day. I ended up selling a friend the OLD PS3 for $100 so my Bday present to myself was cheaper :) I got the Slim primary for the bit-streaming of the audio, the lower noise and power it draws when in Blu-ray play back. I still have yet to play a game on my PS3 as its seems all its action as a Media stream and DVD player. My 360s gets used all the time to play games.

We all knew the PS3 Slim was going to top the charts. Every time you have a price drop you always see a spike. The question now is how long will it last?

To the poster that said he bet less than 2% PS3 owners use thier to play just movies/media (ie no games), I would take that bet as I think its probably that or a bit more.

I can see why Batman:AA sold more as the PS3 version allowed users to play as the Joker and that does sound like fun :)

dont doubt it, but people making it sound that its the only reason the PS3 sells its what blows my mind. would wager on the percentage of PS3 owners who dont game on it is below 2%

oh no I'm sure that happens too (buying for games obviously) it's just I wonder what the stats are for that particular issue. I mean you don't see too many PS3 games in the top ten usually for the NPDs and it's not like the PS3 isn't selling. That's the only question I was raising.

If your 8 year old is S**faced, then you have bigger problems... :D

Both comments made me laugh :)

Enough with all of this "circumstantial" evidence about ps3 not selling that many games.

Who has the ATTACH rate number? (The preferred nomenclature when talking about how many games are sold per console).

I would guess that number would look something like 3 games per ps3, vs like 10+ per 360...

Back