SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

That's like the worst possible option for sentry, hottest CPU and GPU. You should pick some ryzen, and gtx1080.

Also waiting on 8 core intel doesn't make sense, AMD has higher efficiency right now, so *if* intel manages to throw out 65w 8 core, it will surely be slower and more expensive than current ryzen 1700 which you can have right now for low price.
and? I have a massive 1440p free-sync monitor on its way and i plan on driving that baby to its fullest. whether i use the case as a heating for my dorm and the building down the road is just an extra perk. Intel still has the higher clock speeds which is frankly what i was looking for in a processor seeing as my productivity doesn't benefit from those extra cores ryzen offers. Besides, it still isn't close to the worst option for a sentry.

Anyone able to fit GPUs with 3 fans? What’s the biggest anyone has fitted into the sentry?
a guy got a 3 fan 1070 strix in a sentry, but he had to make some adjustments e.g. using lp power cables and clipping the ends off the sentry logo's screws

Anyone able to fit GPUs with 3 fans? What’s the biggest anyone has fitted into the sentry?

I had my Gigabyte Radeon R9-270X Windforce 3 inside Sentry and it was fine.

b2518.jpg

There are photos in our gallery with this GPU and tbh this card is quite big (but there is still place for something even bigger):

DSC_1315zzz.JPG

Last edited:
It had better be the reason kinda lame Intel changing chipset every iteration

Making new chipset lineup with improvements every generation isn't a bad thing if there's backwards compatibility both ways. The problem is that is not the case now AND there's a chance that 8-cores might require another board update with Z390... I hope it's note the case...

Gigabyte has still quite a lot of cards based on windforce 3X design. They just made different plastic shrouds on them for aesthetics. Those should fit, but check the dimensions. And AORUS cards will most likely NOT fit.

2017072710374461_m.png
2017072019090423_m.png
2017070719190431_m.png
20161107140959_m.png
20160802145513_m.png

the new Silverstone SX650-G has a compatibility issue with the Sentry :(

In both the two Sentry’s purchased, I added a SF450 PSU and the same problem occurred for the two units (no. 0631 and 0677) where the power plug was hitting the frame just 1,5mm to early. I considered cutting the plastic edge but found removing just 1,5mm of the inner frame with a flat file a more elegant looking and easy solution without the need to modify the PSU.
Maybe there is a slight bending offset with my two Sentry’s or just the two SF450 PSU’s have a small identical offset in the power plug connector location. Anyway, if you have this issue in my opinion just sanding off about 1,5mm of the Sentry inner frame with a good quality flat file will take you just a few minutes and completely solves the issue. Don’t forget to first remove all the electrical components from the Sentry frame before sanding and after sanding, vacuum-clean off all the metal dust.

Another small issue I had was that I visually can notice that both my two Sentry’s are not standing straight in the vertical position. Probably this is a small bending offset because I checked my desk and it is 100% level and both my two Sentry’s have this issue. I solved this by putting under the two left side (seen from the front) rubber feet, an additional small 3mm thick rubber piece and this works fine for me.

and? I have a massive 1440p free-sync monitor on its way and i plan on driving that baby to its fullest. whether i use the case as a heating for my dorm and the building down the road is just an extra perk. Intel still has the higher clock speeds which is frankly what i was looking for in a processor seeing as my productivity doesn't benefit from those extra cores ryzen offers. Besides, it still isn't close to the worst option for a sentry.

That's fine, freesync and all, but it's going to throttle a lot or be very loud. And for CPU, if they make 65W 8 core, it wont have higher clocks. Look at new intel 8400 (also 65W), it only goes to 4.0 ghz boost, and it's only a 6 core part.

Thank you for the responses!

Just got a good deal from newegg for a 1080ti. Would this fit on the case (even with mods)

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
29055829774l.jpg

Thank you for the responses!

Just got a good deal from newegg for a 1080ti. Would this fit on the case (even with mods)

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
29055829774l.jpg

Are you sure you want to go with this card?

I made a little comparison with the R9-270X from our gallery (scale made basing on the size of PCI-E connector, maybe view angle is a little bit different, but I think you'll understand what I am talking about):

qyij6nq.png

Last edited:

I made a little comparison with the R9-270X from our gallery (scale made basing on the size of PCI-E connector, maybe view angle is a little bit different, but I think you'll understand what I am talking about):

qyij6nq.png

Thanks for the overlay!

Worth a shot, I have other cases (node 202, Dan A4 v2 - sometime 2018).

Figured if I can jimmy rig this card to a sentry that'd be awesome. maybe by removing the shroud, tilting the card a little. low profile PCIE extensions.

It'll make the sentry a monster! worse case, i'll have to settle with puting back the vega 64 or the old xfx 390 double dissipation.

Plus i got the card for $200 off, so was a no brainer for me.

I have a 4770K delided + LP53 hitting at 84C + Vega 64 hitting 84C. It's a nice powerfull machine that dual boots Win10 and High Sierra (Supports VEGA GPUs)

I used to have r9 390 (xfx open air) and seems to have the same level of noise as the Vega 64 at stock fan profiles (~2500 rpm). Vega sounds like a leaf blower when set to 3500 RPM or higher

High Sierra eh? I've been really tempted to dual boot MacOS on my second, work oriented Sentry pc. Glad someone else here is a fan of hackintosh pc's.

SaperPL ZombiPL
You did a great job in this tiny powerful case.
the best design among all SFF cases in my opinion.
Looking forward for version 2.0, an aluminum version maybe ?
Thank you

Did you check this card's compatibility before ordering? It's clearly stated as not compatible in our compatibility spreadsheet and I've been saying it over and over...

The only thing you can do with it to fit is to get an ultra low profile PEG cable.

Looking forward for version 2.0, an aluminum version maybe?

As much as we'd like to make it with aluminium, there's quite a few obstacles in making like the fact that for the threaded bushings we use, we'd have to use thicker aluminium sheets and welding aluminium is different than steel.

Note that many "aluminium" cases are still having frames made of out steel for rigidity and only panels are aluminium. Sentry doesn't have a frame...

Looks like you need to get a low profile right angle PCIE power connector like one below.

https://www.amazon.com/Sleeved-Righ...&sr=8-3&keywords=8+pin+right+angle+pcie+power

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As much as we'd like to make it with aluminium, there's quite a few obstacles in making like the fact that for the threaded bushings we use, we'd have to use thicker aluminium sheets and welding aluminium is different than steel.

Note that many "aluminium" cases are still having frames made of out steel for rigidity and only panels are aluminium. Sentry doesn't have a frame...

The backplate of the modren GPU cards is too hot, the design of the Sentry does not allow this kind of heat to affect other components, the GPU is well isolated.
looking forward for a list of enhancements in v 2.0 although it does not need that much of an enhancements.

I must say, I'm glad the Sentry uses hex screws. I really don't like phillips screws.. I stripped two already trying to fit my hard drives in.

I'm surprised how hot the PSU gets. I've not gamed yet, but so far temps look better than my Air 240 with stock fans. I imagine weatherstripping the coler against the wall really helps, but I'm, not about to take it off to compare.

The backplate of the modren GPU cards is too hot, the design of the Sentry does not allow this kind of heat to affect other components, the GPU is well isolated.
looking forward for a list of enhancements in v 2.0 although it does not need that much of an enhancements.

I agree. I think the most functional enhancement would be somehow including audio ports on the front.

https://ebay.com/itm/Dr-Zaber-Mini-ITX-90-Degree-Inverted-to-8-Pin-PCI-E-PSU-Adapt-/332384462503

This also word as well, although I think I like the amazon link more. Depends I guess which is shorter may help a little with cable management.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If there is a further revision, it'll be perfect if there's a third screw on the top / bottom panels.
As you can see there's curvature at the middle. Aesthetic nitpicking so no big deal at all though.
Just my two cents.;)
IMG_20171028_081332745.jpg

Which would be a better GPU to put into the Sentry, a Zotac 1070 Ti mini or a 1070/1080 with a blower fan?

Which would be a better GPU to put into the Sentry, a Zotac 1070 Ti mini or a 1070/1080 with a blower fan?

Zotac Mini series cards will not fit without custom low profile angled PEG power connector. Reason:

I can almost guarantee it's the same PCB. It won't fit. As ZombiPL and SaperPL have pointed out many times before, those press release renders aren't trustworthy. They're just renders, not to scale. Check the spec sheet from Zotac to get the real dimensions

On the site, the Height of the card is 125mm, which is 2mm less than what the GPU compatibility diagram on the first page says so that's why I thought it would fit.

But my main concern was which would be better to have in the case. Would a blower fan be better to direct the heat outward or would a shorter card be better?

On the site, the Height of the card is 125mm, which is 2mm less than what the GPU compatibility diagram on the first page says so that's why I thought it would fit.

But my main concern was which would be better to have in the case. Would a blower fan be better to direct the heat outward or would a shorter card be better?

I've had a very good experience with my 1080 FE in my main gaming Sentry. My other Sentry now has an evga 1060SC (previously an Rx460) and it's a short open air card. Things get warmer in that Sentry than the one with a 1080 FE. Keep in mind the 1080 has a superior blower cooler as it has a vapor chamber. The 1070 doesn't. Even with this in mind I'd still suggest a blower cooler. It simply ejects all its exhaust. Open air cards just bathe the whole interior of the pc in their exhaust.

I've had a very good experience with my 1080 FE in my main gaming Sentry. My other Sentry now has an evga 1060SC (previously an Rx460) and it's a short open air card. Things get warmer in that Sentry than the one with a 1080 FE. Keep in mind the 1080 has a superior blower cooler as it has a vapor chamber. The 1070 doesn't. Even with this in mind I'd still suggest a blower cooler. It simply ejects all its exhaust. Open air cards just bathe the whole interior of the pc in their exhaust.

The only issue I have is that a 1080 is overkill for my usage, maybe if I find one at a decent price I'll pick it up. I'll just keep my 980 for now then. Thanks for the input!

I know that the zotac 1070 mini won't fit since it's too tall, but the new 1070ti mini doesn't look as tall. https://www.zotac.com/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-mini#spec

Zotac uses horribly inaccurate renders on the product pages for their Mini lineup:

Also as a reminder - here's Zotac's 1080 mini RENDER FROM THEIR PRODUCT PAGE:

KF2dWSt.jpg

Versus REAL LIFE PHOTO FROM REVIEW:

U7vOtKD.jpg

Note that in the render there is no oversize above the PCI bracket end AND also reference PCB part holding the DVI connector at the bottom of the PCI bracket is missing as well.

So be careful with those short cards especially if size numbers seem to good to be true :)

Do you realise there are more dimensions than one on that diagram? 127 mm is measured from the start of the PCI bracket to the top of PCB. But there's also 112 mm measured from the start of PCI-e connector to the top of PCB.

GPU.png

Manufacturers aren't providing drawings with dimensions so we can't be sure how did they measure the cards, so you have to figure out yourself by inspecting real life photos of the product and comparing them to our reference diagram.

You have 50% chance of being right and 50% of being wrong here. Don't just assume the more convenient option here because jumping the gun and buying the card will end up with problem like this:

Zotac is extreme case here because of those inaccurate renders on their product page.

Last edited:

qyij6nq.png

Got the 1080ti today. As expected, won’t fit OOB. The black led strip at the top of the card is out of bounds from the case. If only I can remove the led strip without breaking this highly technically complex card. May need to to use the low profile power connector as well. This 1080ti monster may have to live temporarily on my node 202, while waiting for the Dan case or if I can figure out to remove the led strip.

I finally received my case! I need a parts list. I want the best and latest parts. Looking for 24 or 32gb of ram and a fast M2 SSD. A core i7 coffee lake cpu. No need to over clock. Willing to get amd if it's truly better.

I have a Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LX001)and a
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC that will go into this build. I just need everything else (MB, PSU, CPU, Ram, etc).

I can get a new video card if the 970 is limiting or doesn't fit. I also have the demcifilters if that makes a difference.

Anyone have "the best" parts list?

I finally received my case! I need a parts list. I want the best and latest parts. Looking for 24 or 32gb of ram and a fast M2 SSD. A core i7 coffee lake cpu. No need to over clock. Willing to get amd if it's truly better.

I have a Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LX001)and a
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC that will go into this build. I just need everything else (MB, PSU, CPU, Ram, etc).

I can get a new video card if the 970 is limiting or doesn't fit. I also have the demcifilters if that makes a difference.

Your card should fit without problems.

If you want to make a build mainly for gaming, then going for i7-8700 should be better than Ryzen at this point in time. You might want consider i5-8400 if you don't want to do any productivity on this system though since it performs quite well in games and it's significantly cheaper.

Is there a reason for 32GB of ram? If that's going to be a workstation than you should check out how coffee lake compares to R7 1700 in your specific applications.

If your SSDH is 2.5" drive then it should have no problem fitting. The 970 should also fit if we go off https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-3975-RX.

MB and CPU is up to you. If you decided to go Ryzen (which seems to be quite popular) then https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157780 is the most common board people use, paired up with a Ryzen 1500/1600.
For a CPU cooler many people like the Noctua lh9i, but you have to get an adapter that will fit onto the MB. PSU is usually a Corsair SF450/600.
For RAM, just make sure that it's not too bulky and doesn't have clearance or space issues with the CPU cooler, other than that Corsair's Vengeance lineup has fairly low heatsinks.

Sharing my long overdue build.

4770k + LP53
XFX R9 390
Nixeus 24” 144hz freesync
Dual boot OS X-high Sierra / Windows 10

Can run most games on high/ultra 40-60 FPS.

Attachments

• E58C0820-339B-44B9-A4BD-D4D4ACE80440.jpeg
    E58C0820-339B-44B9-A4BD-D4D4ACE80440.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 73E8E60A-4950-475C-9C33-57B2E325276D.jpeg
    73E8E60A-4950-475C-9C33-57B2E325276D.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 0F7D022E-2973-4634-B3C0-F9A79ED7DD83.jpeg
    0F7D022E-2973-4634-B3C0-F9A79ED7DD83.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 108
Got the 1080ti today. As expected, won’t fit OOB. The black led strip at the top of the card is out of bounds from the case. If only I can remove the led strip without breaking this highly technically complex card.

Just an idea, could you remove the shroud and fans just leaving the heatsink. Then mount some fans directly to the sentry. The fan connectors would probably need to be changed. Try at your own risk.

Back