SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Now I'm stumped. I tried my other psylu with different results but still no success

Might be a different revision of the power supply, maybe the connector was mounted slightly off the center in RevoFox PSU or the plastic body of the IEC-C14 connector was from a different manufacturer/mould.

This is my SF450. It's a close fit but I didn't need to modify anything.
KIMG0596.JPG

Last edited:

Is this the only gpu you've been testing? I assume that you fit it in Sentry and there was no space for PEG connectors, so you just didn't plug them in. And just like Saper noticed you probably also forgot about connecting 8-pin motherboard power connector which is next to the I/O section.

The gpu does fit. I didn't have those power connectors plugged in because I already tried it with them plugged in and at that point I was just testing different configuration. I've tried so many things with multiple parts plugged in or even connected.

I took the ram out because it was the only way the system would stay on like you see.

The gpu does fit. I didn't have those power connectors plugged in because I already tried it with them plugged in and at that point I was just testing different configuration. I've tried so many things with multiple parts plugged in or even connected.

I took the ram out because it was the only way the system would stay on like you see.

Ok then, here's a few questions that you should answer first:

1) What's your specific config?

2) Did you try booting your system without the GPU (if you've got an intel platform).

3) What's the boot error code? Connect the beeper and try figuring out which code does it signal.

4) Did you re-seat the CPU while moving to sentry? While changing the cooler to clear old thermal compound maybe?

5) Did you detach the modular cables while moving your components? Are you sure they are attached properly?

Morzy
I know it's probably obvious but have you cleared the CMOS? Or remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes.
I've had a similar situation and that worked.

If that doesn't work I'd take it apart, down to individual components. Remove the cpu cooler. Remove the cpu, ram, everything. Put it back together outside the case and try to boot outside the case. If it works, tear it down and methodically rebuild in Sentry.

My configuration is
I5-7600
Gtx 1060 ftw+
Sf450 sfx
Nh-l9i
8gb corsair 2400
275gb crucial m.2
2tb firecuda 2.5"
1tb barracuda 2.5"

The only difference is the case and PSU. Have been using this since February

I tried just now, it won't turn on with or without the ram, with everything plugged it.
Removing the cmon did bring it back to where it's clicking, though, and it stays on without RAM, but only without.

As for the beeper. I rechecked my mobile box and didn't find the speaker. I don't know if it provided one.

The cables were plugged it fine, I checked them many times.

I'm gonna try rebuilding it, then.

Rebuilt, still clicks with ram inserted and runs as you see it here. Everything connected.

I've seen bad ram, but never this clicking.

Attachments

• 1508594361025.jpg
    1508594361025.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 70
Rebuilt, still clicks with ram inserted and runs as you see it here. Everything connected.

I've seen bad ram, but never this clicking.

Try booting with ram but without GPU. Remove M.2 drive as well. Ask your friends if anyone can lend you a beeper to check the error code. The fact that it "runs" without memory doesn't tell us anything. Some boards will power up like that without any components installed including cpu and ram while beeping to inform you there's stuff missing.

Btw do you have any isolation under the board when you put it like that on Sentry's cover?

I think I could have damaged the ram slot.

I left the ram in when I transferred and did need to apply some force because initially I was weatherstripping the cooler and had to press tape on top of the ram. Plus I mightve grabbed the ram from the side as I picked the mob up because it's so close to the cooler and I grabbed the mob by the cooler.

Still, the other ram slot doesn't work, either.. I dunno, this is stressing me.

Try booting with ram but without GPU. Remove M.2 drive as well. Ask your friends if anyone can lend you a beeper to check the error code. The fact that it "runs" without memory doesn't tell us anything. Some boards will power up like that without any components installed including cpu and ram while beeping to inform you there's stuff missing.

Btw do you have any isolation under the board when you put it like that on Sentry's cover?
M.2 out, still no go. I did have nothing under the mobo, that is correct. I changed that shortly after that picture with a box.

I can try to pick up a beeper later when I go out.

Last edited:
I did have nothing under the Sentry, that is correct. I changed that shortly after that picture with a box.

The thing is powder coating isn't really supposed to isolate the metal - you could've broken your board with that if pins were touching the case cover. You shouldn't power your system laying on possibly conductive surface.

In your case NH-L9i thumbscrews lifted the board slightly so you should be okay, but I wouldn't risk doing that.

Did you try running it without dedicated GPU? most basic config: motherboard + CPU + RAM and ondboard graphics. after that, the only thing you can do is check the error code to figure out what is failing during POST.

Ahh, I was naive. Still, the thing runs without RAM unless it only damaged the ram slots, and you're right about the Nh-l9i screws.

I did try it without the gpu and with the basic configuration you describe. I've gotten different results from different PSUs. The SF450 will click and nothing, but the 550G2 will try to boot twice but won't post.

Got a speaker. It won't boot or make a post code with the ram inserted. Without the ram, though, and the pc running, it gives 3 beeps, which I believe is a ram code.

Am I to assume that the ram is bad because it does not give another error code?

Got a speaker. It won't boot or make a post code with the ram inserted. Without the ram, though, and the pc running, it gives 3 beeps, which I believe is a ram code.

Am I to assume that the ram is bad because it does not give another error code?

You only have one stick of ram? Or two? Try each slot individually with different sticks. The slots are pretty robust. They have 280ish metal pins holding them in place. Have you checked your lga pins? You didn't bend a cpu pin did you? Do not touch the pins, just look closely. That's another possibility.

I only have one stick. Trying the other ram slot was one if the first things I did.

Bent pins doesn't make sense either because the cpu and heatsink were attached when I transferred the system and it worked before the process. Still, I can check if you advise it.

I only have one stick. Trying the other ram slot was one if the first things I did.

Bent pins doesn't make sense either because the cpu and heatsink were attached when I transferred the system and it worked before the process. Still, I can check if you advise it.

Oh right, that's true about the cpu staying in place when you moved cases. I forgot.

I honestly don’t know what to do now part of me wants to wait until zen 2 or buy the coffee lake 8700 non k with 1080 or Vega 56

I honestly don’t know what to do now part of me wants to wait until zen 2 or buy the coffee lake 8700 non k with 1080 or Vega 56

If you're strictly interested in gaming then for some time intel will still have an edge over the Ryzen. Coffee Lake seems like a great step up from what intel served us for few generations and there's lot more to choose from low profile cpu coolers for intel.

If that ~15% of intel's edge over the Ryzen in gaming doesn't make a difference to you, or you're going to use the system for some heavier productivity then I think you should go for Ryzen. And I don't really think that next Zen instalment will blow away current Ryzen generation, so it might not be worth waiting.

As for the GPU - radeons are still power hungry and hot in comparison to geforce GPUs so I'd recommend going for nvidia inside Sentry.

You can get a placeholder CPU and wait for zen 2 if you need productivity, but if you are only aiming at gaming and casual work then your best bet is intel's 8700k. I was going to get the 8700k but decided it wasn't worth it for me. Two more cores does not justify a $380 purchase. I currently own the 7700k

My desk:
lu9pQpl.jpg

I'm very curious to hear the first reports from Sentry owners that decide to get the 8700k.

I'm so very tempted to upgrade platforms. But with the platform shenanigans Intel has been pulling lately I don't want to make the jump just yet. There's rumors of 8 core i7's on a supposed z390 platform later this year or early 2018. What a time to be a pc enthusiast!

I'm very curious to hear the first reports from Sentry owners that decide to get the 8700k.

I'm so very tempted to upgrade platforms. But with the platform shenanigans Intel has been pulling lately I don't want to make the jump just yet. There's rumors of 8 core i7's on a supposed z390 platform later this year or early 2018. What a time to be a pc enthusiast!
I only just bought my 7700, setup in May to install in my Sentry, so I'm not interested in upgrading anytime soon. It's clear Intel are having to release so much new kit so quickly because of AMD.

I hope AMD keep pushing as that clearly pushes Intel into action and it all improves our choices (y)

You can get a placeholder CPU and wait for zen 2 if you need productivity, but if you are only aiming at gaming and casual work then your best bet is intel's 8700k. I was going to get the 8700k but decided it wasn't worth it for me. Two more cores does not justify a $380 purchase. I currently own the 7700k

My desk:
lu9pQpl.jpg
I think I’m gonna just get the 8700 non k I know for sure with that one temps won’t be a prob I don’t see a reason to pay a premium if I have no intention of over clocking unless someone can give me good enough reason to get the k version? I doubt noctua l9i would be enough to cool that thing.

I think I’m gonna just get the 8700 non k I know for sure with that one temps won’t be a prob I don’t see a reason to pay a premium if I have no intention of over clocking unless someone can give me good enough reason to get the k version? I doubt noctua l9i would be enough to cool that thing.
The clocks on the 8700 are lower but there is no way of running the 8700k at decent temperatures without undervolting, deliding, or like i did attaching a fan to the side.

Any news on that 8 core consumer chip intel supposedly launching soon? I highly doubt there will be a 9700 non k at 65 watts

Any news on that 8 core consumer chip intel supposedly launching soon? I highly doubt there will be a 9700 non k at 65 watts

Probably next year, so not that soon :D

I just hope that's the reason for motherboard incompatibility with previous generations.

Welp my unit 962 arrived roughly 5 weeks after shipment, which was much earlier than I expected.

Transport wasn't bad at all. A few bumps, and one to the internal box, but nothing touched the case.

Assembly was fun! I've never worked with a SFF case before, so it was rather hard. It I didn't already read about the struggles with the riser, I would've been stumped.
Everything fit - no off mobo mounts and the I/O shield fit.
I really like it! Much much smaller than the Air 240 placeholder I've been using.
My only real problems were the RAM which I suspect I damaged during the system transfer, though I am surprised. I ordered one right away as I need this for school work. Those corsair PSU cables were a pain, though.

One concern is the power LED, which seems to flicker at inconsistent rates.. Maybe I put the header at HD LED. <.<

I did end up using weatherstripping tape to try and create a passage for the CPU to get air from the outside. I haven't sealed the GPU chamber yet, though I have yet to game on this to see how bad it gets.

Speaking of which, these are the parts I have

i5-7600
GTX 1060 FTW+
275gb Crusial M.2
2tb Firecuda
1tb Barracuda
SF450
NH-L9i
Windows 10

I'm really pleased with this case! I can't think of much improvements at this time.. I'd say close the GPU off, but I feel like custom cables would almost be a requirement at that point...
DSC_0369.JPG DSC_0373.JPG DSC_0374.JPG DSC_0383.JPG DSC_0384.JPG

I just received my Sentry (Long Run: Order ID #1229) here in Portland, OR. I wasn't expecting to receive it so soon (40 days). USPS tried to leave a notice without even attempting to knock or ring the doorbell first, but I caught them before they could get away.

There were some slight tears in the package's vapor barrier, but the exterior box is nearly unblemished.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be building in it anytime soon. I'm probably going to holdout for the 8C/16T Coffee Lake CPU (or is it Cannonlake, again?)—that is, unless AMD does something to drastically one-up Intel again in the meantime.

Last edited:
Anyway, I don't think I'll be building in it anytime soon. I'm probably going to holdout for Ice Lake unless AMD does something to one-up Intel again.

But why? Intel just laid out a proper response to Ryzen and Ryzen should be already refined in terms of bios and memory compatibility. You want to wait another year to build your PC?

But why? Intel just laid out a proper response to Ryzen and Ryzen should be already refined in terms of bios and memory compatibility. You want to wait another year to build your PC?
Because I don't have the money right now and knowing that Intel is very likely to release an eight core processor alongside a new chipset (Z390) next year, I don't want to buy their current six core offering. The new chipset is supposed to bring us some long awaited new features. I'm likely going to be using this system for several years, so I want the best return on my investment.

untitled-2.png

Intel-300-Series-8th-Gen-Chipset-Roadmap-For-Coffee-Lake-CPUs-Z370-Z390-H370-H310-B360-Q360-Q370.jpg

wbbW1Bl.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going with a 7700k and vega limited edition in mine. 4 cores with hyperthreading is more than enough for me. I'll likely get it delided somewhere down the line. Parts should get here Thursday/Friday so I'll post pictures then

I'm going with a 7700k and vega limited edition in mine. 4 cores with hyperthreading is more than enough for me. I'll likely get it delided somewhere down the line. Parts should get here Thursday/Friday so I'll post pictures then

I have a 4770K delided + LP53 hitting at 84C + Vega 64 hitting 84C. It's a nice powerfull machine that dual boots Win10 and High Sierra (Supports VEGA GPUs)

I used to have r9 390 (xfx open air) and seems to have the same level of noise as the Vega 64 at stock fan profiles (~2500 rpm). Vega sounds like a leaf blower when set to 3500 RPM or higher

I have a 4770K delided + LP53 hitting at 84C + Vega 64 hitting 84C. It's a nice powerfull machine that dual boots Win10 and High Sierra (Supports VEGA GPUs)

I used to have r9 390 (xfx open air) and seems to have the same level of noise as the Vega 64 at stock fan profiles (~2500 rpm). Vega sounds like a leaf blower when set to 3500 RPM or higher
i cant wait to get all my pieces together, going with an lp53 as well. Will try to use weatherstripping to bring down temps on both cpu and gpu though. As long as i can avoid the leaf blower :)

I'm going full out on the colour scheme, even getting custom keycaps to seal the deal!

That's like the worst possible option for sentry, hottest CPU and GPU. You should pick some ryzen, and gtx1080.

Also waiting on 8 core intel doesn't make sense, AMD has higher efficiency right now, so *if* intel manages to throw out 65w 8 core, it will surely be slower and more expensive than current ryzen 1700 which you can have right now for low price.

Back