SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Man how difficult is it to run two M.2 slots on the backs of these mITX MoBos? One day I guess...

Man how difficult is it to run two M.2 slots on the backs of these mITX MoBos? One day I guess...

I'd say it'll be more likely one on top and one on the back when CPUs go full SoC and chipset will be like X300 without need for radiator.

Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac
and the
Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
announced by ASRock
View attachment 26063
I don't understand. According to my knowledge, the only differences between a B350 and an X370 are multi GPU capability and some ports. Why do manufacturers sell X370 boards when it is more expensive but, in the case of mini itx, it is basically the same as B350 boards?

7fdGUax.png

[Image credit: Gamers Nexus]

You should be aware that the Katana might perform awful in the Sentry. In the "Hardware Unboxed" review it hits the thermal limit of 82C in an ATX tower with absolutely perfect airflow, so it will hit 82C in the Sentry even faster and either ramp up the fan speed like crazy, or thermal throttle a lot.
I thought it ran at 82C no matter what doesn't get cooler or hotter

I thought it ran at 82C no matter what doesn't get cooler or hotter

Take that statement and think about it for a second. Is a graphics card sitting at idle going to be as hot as one under load? For that matter, what's the point of buying a card with a better cooler on it, if the card is just going to be static?

It doesn't just magically sit at that temperature. In order for a graphics card that's running too hot, it has one of two options:

1) Increase the fan speed, causing way more noise.
2) Decrease the clock speed, making it perform way worse than it should.

The Katana, while being a very neat little card, has a single slot cooler that isn't quite up to par.

Now take that already poor cooler, put it in less-than-ideal conditions, and make it keep the card at the same 82 degrees it already struggles with. What do you think happens?

The fan ramps WAY up, the clock speed drops WAY down, and you're now playing games with a hair dryer.

Hi there,

Does anyone know if the Sentry is compatable with the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3?

I realise it might be a tight squeeze, though the numbers say it's possible!

Sorry, the GPU compatability chart isn't updated with the GTX1080Ti's!

Hi there,

Does anyone know if the Sentry is compatable with the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3?

I realise it might be a tight squeeze, though the numbers say it's possible!

Sorry, the GPU compatability chart isn't updated with the GTX1080Ti's!

Just wondering.. I saw the new EVGA 1080TI FTW3 and it looks sexy AF... will that card fit our SENTRYs? if not, how abt the new SC2?

Ftw3 no, sc2 yes.

The TDP is too high on these cards anyway and it's recommended that you get the founders edition instead. Though do whatever you wish!

The FTW3 is too tall. Please use the search function (y)

Edit: Also ditto on what Veritas187 said.

For those looking forward to the ASRock Mini ITX AM4 motherboard to launch soon, it won't launch until July.

"Thank you for your interest of ASRock MB. AM4 ITX will be available in the market around July. Thanks

Best Regards

JC Chung"
I was told the same at their booth at computex.
He also wasn't sure about pci-e bifurication and told me to not get my hopes up, but he didn't really seem to know what it is, so I would just ignore this statement for now.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that a fanless sfx-l psi would cook in the sentry, though I wonder about the feasibility of doing something like SaberPL's watercooling setup with a short Gpu and a 120mm fan instead.

I'm assuming that a fanless sfx-l psi would cook in the sentry, though I wonder about the feasibility of doing something like SaberPL's watercooling setup with a short Gpu and a 120mm fan instead.

I don't get what fanless psu has to do with ITX GPU + AIO WC setup - care to elaborate?

I don't get what fanless psu has to do with ITX GPU + AIO WC setup - care to elaborate?

Not the actual WC setup- just whether mounting an actual 120mm fan where you had the radiator in that build would add enough airflow to the case that a fanless psu would survive (wouldn't overheat).

Thinking more about it, though- I think the standard 450w psu is already passive to somewhere upwards of 200w. Upping the size to sfx-l and adding the fins might be enough to let the fanless one be ok.

Not the actual WC setup- just whether mounting an actual 120mm fan where you had the radiator in that build would add enough airflow to the case that a fanless psu would survive (wouldn't overheat).

Thinking more about it, though- I think the standard 450w psu is already passive to somewhere upwards of 200w. Upping the size to sfx-l and adding the fins might be enough to let the fanless one be ok.

But the GPU and AIO would be in a separate compartment from PSU and PSU is taking air directly from the outside - there can't be anything inducing the airflow through the PSU inside the case unless you put some kind of 60mm fan at the PSU exhaust near the USB front panel.

Got it; don't think I have it fully through my head how separate the two sides are.

Reading more about it, the passive PSU has Silverstone's 800w innards, so maybe it could survive on its own?

Got it; don't think I have it fully through my head how separate the two sides are.

Reading more about it, the passive PSU has Silverstone's 800w innards, so maybe it could survive on its own?

I think that semi-passive 800w is good-enough if you have low power draw and the fan would wake up only if really needed. I wouldn't risk burning such expensive PSU.

Reactions: Rysen
like this
After seeing the new Asrock motherboard and the new i9 CPU I think I am going to get the 1800x with the asrock motherboard for my sentry. Hopefully by that time Dan's cooler is already kick-started. I will probably received my case by July so everything will be out at the same time. I'm order #653 or something around there. Anyone else getting the 1800x?

To the people running Ryzen on the Sentry any issues so far?

After seeing the new Asrock motherboard and the new i9 CPU I think I am going to get the 1800x with the asrock motherboard for my sentry. Hopefully by that time Dan's cooler is already kick-started. I will probably received my case by July so everything will be out at the same time. I'm order #653 or something around there. Anyone else getting the 1800x?

To the people running Ryzen on the Sentry any issues so far?
Any thoughts on the 1700 vs. 1800x? The 20 degree tCTL offset on the "x" Ryzen chips seems a bit worrying for fan control and throttling.

Any thoughts on the 1700 vs. 1800x? The 20 degree tCTL offset on the "x" Ryzen chips seems a bit worrying for fan control and throttling.
I am going for the 1800x because for the 1700 to reach the same performance as the 1800x at stock you have to overclock it and I have seen plenty of 1700 results that show that temperatures and wattage of the 1700 when overclocked to perform similarly to the 1800x it can easily reach 140w at load while the 1800x will only reach around 104w at load which is about the same wattage you would get from the i7700k stock at load. Based on most test out there the 1800x performs either about the same as the i7700k or better, showing lower temperatures.

I am going for the 1800x because for the 1700 to reach the same performance as the 1800x at stock you have to overclock it and I have seen plenty of 1700 results that show that temperatures and wattage of the 1700 when overclocked to perform similarly to the 1800x it can easily reach 140w at load while the 1800x will only reach around 104w at load which is about the same wattage you would get from the i7700k stock at load. Based on most test out there the 1800x performs either about the same as the i7700k or better, showing lower temperatures.
Good point, I just hope the fake temperature offset doesn't cause the XFR feature to prematurely downclock.

Good point, I just hope the fake temperature offset doesn't cause the XFR feature to prematurely downclock.
I read that was in some specific motherboards, not all of them. And it got fixed with the latest BIOS update. I highly doubt that by the time ASROCK release their motherboard this would still be a problem.

Reactions: ceski
like this
Im running a 1600x and so far it seems good stays at 3,7 and even seems to go up to 4ghz shortly at times just running auto no overclock. Im running it on an NH L9x65 SE-AM4 that I cut down with a hacksaw and put 4x40mm noctua coolers on the sides in push/pull. I got an extra 92mm noctua and mounted those two on an old 7870 card and now the noise is pretty much acceptable and it runs quite well so far.

I have a corsair h60 AIO that I tried to fit in but damn that really is hard to do, the kinks in the tubes and ram clearance and so on is a nightmare. I looked at the masterliquid series as their tubes seem more flexible, but the pump head seems to be too tall. I think you could run a 240mm radiator out of the motherboard backplate and create like an alternative foot for the cabinet to hold it, but it would require some fabrication work.

Im running a 1600x and so far it seems good stays at 3,7 and even seems to go up to 4ghz shortly at times just running auto no overclock. Im running it on an NH L9x65 SE-AM4 that I cut down with a hacksaw and put 4x40mm noctua coolers on the sides in push/pull. I got an extra 92mm noctua and mounted those two on an old 7870 card and now the noise is pretty much acceptable and it runs quite well so far.

I have a corsair h60 AIO that I tried to fit in but damn that really is hard to do, the kinks in the tubes and ram clearance and so on is a nightmare. I looked at the masterliquid series as their tubes seem more flexible, but the pump head seems to be too tall. I think you could run a 240mm radiator out of the motherboard backplate and create like an alternative foot for the cabinet to hold it, but it would require some fabrication work.
what are the temps on that CPU at load?

According to Polish post it's 6-8 weeks, so less than two months is a worst case scenario.

I'd say if we manage to send 6 shipments by the end of June, then it's more likely August for your order (depending on your case colour), not October.
I'll stay hopeful but your shipping company has quoted the transport time. It will be held up in Australian customs for 2-4 weeks and 90% chance of being unwrapped and inspected and shoved back in it's box before delivery. I would actually of paid more for air freight and the carrier handling the import of the case, less chance of Australian customs pulling it apart and it would be in my hands 5 days after you shipped it. Honestly USD$28 is air freight pricing for shipping.

End June for shipping, July/August sea freight, September AU customs. October delivery. Happy to be wrong....

Contribution Date - January 11, 2017 :eek:
Estimated Delivery Date - April 2017 o_O
My guess - October 2017 :mad:

I am trying to stay positive about Sentry and understand the huge task you have in front of you, the updates do help but my original build plans are out the door now and I'm going to wait for Coffee Lake CPU and 300 series mainboards. Thank god all I bought was a GTX1080.

Last edited:
what are the temps on that CPU at load?

74 according to the biostar control program loading it for a while on CPUZ at 100% did make it go down to 3,4Ghz but I am running the the fans on a voltage regulator at somewhat low rpms.

You mind linking some sauce? I only have one as some others listed system power and not just CPU and I'm to lazy to search more for now.

CPU Power Draw of
Ryzen 7 1700
index.php

Ryzen 7 1700X
index.php

Ryzen 7 1800X
index.php

Edit: Overall I will agree that the 1800X uses less Watts when overclocked; however, with both the 1700 and 1700X at 4.0 GHz with a 10W difference I think it's a little silly for the price difference. Again, my opinion, all Ryzen CPUs should be overclocked. In that case, the clear winner in price will always be the non "X" variant.

Links:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_1700_review,23.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_1700x_review,24.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_processor_review,23.html

You mind linking some sauce? I only have one as some others listed system power and not just CPU and I'm to lazy to search more for now.

CPU Power Draw of
Ryzen 7 1700
index.php

Ryzen 7 1700X
index.php

Ryzen 7 1800X
index.php

Edit: Overall I will agree that the 1800X uses less Watts when overclocked; however, with both the 1700 and 1700X at 4.0 GHz with a 10W difference I think it's a little silly for the price difference. Again, my opinion, all Ryzen CPUs should be overclocked. In that case, the clear winner in price will always be the non "X" variant.

Links:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_1700_review,23.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_1700x_review,24.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_processor_review,23.html
Even in those test the 1800x is overclocked to 4.1Ghz. If you leave the 1800x at base speeds it will consume a lot less.

I got my conclusion from this chart:
oc-power.png

Source.

Here is another example (2nd Graph)

Another example with different wattage for the 1800x

Here they compared the 1700 overclocked with 1800x

The results are generally inconsistent but they all show a clear advantage to getting the 1800x rather than getting the 1700 overclocked to 4.0GHz or less. This makes the 1800x the best performing Ryzen 7 CPU for a limited TDP build.

Even in those test the 1800x is overclocked to 4.1Ghz. If you leave the 1800x at base speeds it will consume a lot less.

I got my conclusion from this chart:
oc-power.png

Source.

Here is another example (2nd Graph)

Another example with different wattage for the 1800x

Here they compared the 1700 overclocked with 1800x

The results are generally inconsistent but they all show a clear advantage to getting the 1800x rather than getting the 1700 overclocked to 4.0GHz or less. This makes the 1800x the best performing Ryzen 7 CPU for a limited TDP build.
The inconsistencies are really only from results that display the non OC 1800X compared to a OC 1700. They're not going to be comparable. You have one that will be a constant power at 4.0 GHz and the other that can "turbo" to 4.0/4.1 GHz.

It's only when you see comparisons between the OC 1800X vs OC 1700 that it's within 10'ish Watts. Your last three links showed that in their respective tests.

Edit: Yes the 1800X is a better performer, zero doubt, but it's also 180 USD more MSRP for a couple % performance increase. It also will allow you to have a CPU that will "turbo" to w/e it needs to for a given workload. Whereas a OC 1700 will always run at a given speed(depending on OC settings).

Last edited:
The inconsistencies are really only from results that display the non OC 1800X compared to a OC 1700. They're not going to be comparable. You have one that will be a constant power at 4.0 GHz and the other that can "turbo" to 4.0/4.1 GHz.

It's only when you see comparisons between the OC 1800X vs OC 1700 that it's within 10'ish Watts. Your last three links showed that in their respective tests.

Edit: Yes the 1800X is a better performer, zero doubt, but it's also 180 USD more MSRP for a couple % performance increase. It also will allow you to have a CPU that will "turbo" to w/e it needs to for a given workload. Whereas a OC 1700 will always run at a given speed(depending on OC settings).
Yeah I was essentially ignoring price and just going by best performance.

I'll stay hopeful but your shipping company has quoted the transport time. It will be held up in Australian customs for 2-4 weeks and 90% chance of being unwrapped and inspected and shoved back in it's box before delivery. I would actually of paid more for air freight and the carrier handling the import of the case, less chance of Australian customs pulling it apart and it would be in my hands 5 days after you shipped it. Honestly USD$28 is air freight pricing for shipping.

End June for shipping, July/August sea freight, September AU customs. October delivery. Happy to be wrong....

Contribution Date - January 11, 2017 :eek:
Estimated Delivery Date - April 2017 o_O
My guess - October 2017 :mad:

I am trying to stay positive about Sentry and understand the huge task you have in front of you, the updates do help but my original build plans are out the door now and I'm going to wait for Coffee Lake CPU and 300 series mainboards. Thank god all I bought was a GTX1080.

1) We were preparing campaign to be able to launch with 100 orders and thus we weren't able to get any proper pricing for courier shipments unless we were doing something like 500+ packages monthly throughout whole year and at least 100 packages going to same country with each batch. Even if we went with that we wouldn't bet on getting so much orders from Australia.

2) I don't know where did you get the $28 freight rate because of the the shipping price for the package by air is somewhere around $130 according to our courier and this freight calculator here: http://worldfreightrates.com/freight

freight.png

We talked about this here when we were preparing campaign as the biggest target of the campaign is obviously US and we couldn't get anything better for US shipping. Since people here were already waiting quite a lot of time for us to launch the campaign, economic shipment to US that takes longer but doesn't cost $100+ was better option.

3) Indiegogo is not perfect - there isn't an option to give you two shipping types to choose unless you split a perk but at the same time you can't make multiple perks share item limit which was our core problem with white cases in the campaign.

Also we didn't want to split perks into smaller batches because:
a) once again indiegogo is a mess and you have to fill out the shipping charges for every single country by hand each time and checking that up for the perks we had was already terrible.
b) we didn't want to make an impression that perks are running out and then adding more like some campaigns do because it effects in people getting pissed and refunding which was counterproductive

4) Indiegogo actually screwed us over with "Estimated Delivery Date" now by updating this description without handling legacy campaigns intact with original description. Up to the end of campaign and still somewhere around March this was described as "Estimated Shipping Start" in the campaigner backend and thus we have shown in the campaign story our plan for processing shipments of 150 cases. We were checking that in our campaign backend every time we were explaining this to people asking about it in mails and just recently we've seen that indiegogo changed this.

Indiegogo doesn't care about keeping the legacy stuff since by their terms the only thing that counts is perk description.

5) Our shipping provider, Polish Post, has the estimated shipping times from when package is delivered to the post office to the moment when it's received including customs handling. According to our "patron" at Post they have updated their statistics on this last year and 95% of the packages are being delivered within this estimated range with those 5% being either randomly picked up for air freight taking less time or taking longer at customs office because the paperwork is incomplete.

One of the things that is taking our time is specifically customs handling through the customs systems which is quite a lot of paperwork but this should make it faster to be freed at the destination customs office. So far our economic packages sent this way were already freed within few days from customs offices in multiple Asian countries.

I will add 2 cents to what Saper said about costs of shipping.

First of all please remember you are receiving a really big package. Really. 60x40x15cm isn't small. At start we just wanted to send you every package in small transport box, but when we were talking about this with you in forums and via emails, most of you were complaining about how transport companies treat packages in different countries. Some of our backers even sent us youtube videos like this one (link) showing how transport looks like in small cities in their country. This is why we decided we need to go big with the package (bigger transport foam, thicker external box, etc.) to avoid future problems.

Secondly, before the campaign when you do not know how many packages will you be sending, then noone from courier companies will give you better price. You have to tell how many packages you will be sending, and if you don't know that, then you will get something nearly as "good" as standard price for 1-package customer.

Finally, i have an example of the offers we received before and after the campaign. When we were preparing the campaign, the best offer for the USA which we received was something like $85 (including insurance and handling customs paper work). Now (after the campaign) when this transport operator saw how many packages we have to send, he gave us an offer for $60 if we will send all of those packages through his company. How can we compare $27 (customs paperwork we are doing by ourselves) which we offered for transport during the campaign to $85 offer which we received before? Many people asked us about the possible options of transport and when they heard those prices most of them said they waited almost 3 years for the Sentry, so 3 or 4 weeks more doesn't change anything. This is why we decided we go with this economic package, and we were talking about this many times.

I hope that explains everything.

Oh. And the best offer for 5-14 days transport to Australia which we received before the campaing was $109, while economical transport which we offered costs something like $28 afair.

4.9 kg according to 'official' weighting by Polish post. Thick cardboard adds its weight to the sole chassis weight...

9.1 kg / 20 lbs for those who are getting two cases.

I don't think you guys really need to explain how you organized your project. I feel like backers should have been well prepared to wait for what is nearly a hand made product.

Thanks again guys!

9.1 kg / 20 lbs for those who are getting two cases.

I don't think you guys really need to explain how you organized your project. I feel like backers should have been well prepared to wait for what is nearly a hand made product.

Thanks again guys!

This is a community project, so we are answering everyone on every subject. One of our goals was that we wanted people to feel they have a real influence how everything will be designed, manufactured, shipped. If you are designing wind turbines and other heavy duty stuff and for some incomprehensible reason you decide to make something waaaay different from your industry field (in our situation, pc-cases) you need to work really hard to deserve people's trust. Maybe we are a little bit too talkative, but we understand, that not everyone has to understand everything after just one answer. This is why we are answering as much as we can, so everything will be clear for everybody.

Back