SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Yayyy.

Would you explain what exactly makes these versions of Sentry much better than the images and videos we've seen?

Yayyy.

Would you explain what exactly makes these versions of Sentry much better than the images and videos we've seen?

As you know, Sentry is being manufactured in a small batch without molds, robots, automatic bending machines, etc. It means all of this work must be made by human. We designed Sentry in the way, that it can hide human errors up to 1mm (for example, wider elliptical holes, more free space for bending on the edges, etc.). It means, if even 2 cases will have some crucial dimensions different, you won't notice it. This 1 mm is a designed value. Through the last 2,5 years of the project (with those really small prototypes run) our subcontractor went down with "his human error" to the max. of 0,5mm. This is really a nice achievement if you think that this product is not made with automatic production line, but by humans. Now is the best part: With this bigger order, we could design better tooling and our subcontractor could also make some preparations on his side. Now we received those 4 pre-production prototypes to check if our manufacturer did good work with new machines calibration (mostly bending dimensions). With new tooling we achieved an dimension error of max. 0,2mm, where almost 90% of dimensions have error <0,1mm. It's so amazing, that we measured those 4 units 3 times, to be sure if we are not making something wrong. 0,2mm error on such big elements can be made even with molds. This is the main difference in steel elements between review and campaign units, and cases you will get in you hands.

Sentry project is prepared to hide up to 1mm human errors, and still production units should have bending errors <0.2mm (mostly <0,1mm), which is amazing with such small production scale and the current type of manufacturing process.

I hope this answers your question :)

As you know, Sentry is being manufactured in a small batch without molds, robots, automatic bending machines, etc. It means all of this work must be made by human. We designed Sentry in the way, that it can hide human errors up to 1mm (for example, wider elliptical holes, more free space for bending on the edges, etc.). It means, if even 2 cases will have some crucial dimensions different, you won't notice it. This 1 mm is a designed value. Through the last 2,5 years of the project (with those really small prototypes run) our subcontractor went down with "his human error" to the max. of 0,5mm. This is really a nice achievement if you think that this product is not made with automatic production line, but by humans. Now is the best part: With this bigger order, we could design better tooling and our subcontractor could also make some preparations on his side. Now we received those 4 pre-production prototypes to check if our manufacturer did good work with new machines calibration (mostly bending dimensions). With new tooling we achieved an dimension error of max. 0,2mm, where almost 90% of dimensions have error <0,1mm. It's so amazing, that we measured those 4 units 3 times, to be sure if we are not making something wrong. 0,2mm error on such big elements can be made even with molds. This is the main difference in steel elements between review and campaign units, and cases you will get in you hands.

Sentry project is prepared to hide up to 1mm human errors, and still production units should have bending errors <0.2mm (mostly <0,1mm), which is amazing with such small production scale and the current type of manufacturing process.

I hope this answers your question :)

If our address is changing in the coming weeks, should we just adjust the indiegogo address?

If our address is changing in the coming weeks, should we just adjust the indiegogo address?

Yes, you should do it before we proceed to fulfilling your order. If you're late and we've locked your order, then you have to contact us ASAP with the address change.

Here's how the back-end of campaigner looks like on this: https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/202916358 so you can have the rough idea how locking the orders look like from our side. You should be notified when we lock your order about the change of its status, I think.

Asrock B350 ITX in the middle of April:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/asr...nch-in-mid-april-with-the-b350-chipset/114167

16d8878cb9b9fc3c43c8604eef9ee6555ae2b92d_1_720x83.png

2da97b953fd3e4e46acdf0ef162687899be06a6e_1_720x408.png

Man that's why I've really started to love Asrock. They have great educated replies to their emails, they support small form factor enthusiasts, and they've even shown to be willing to create custom bios' for people at request.

Looks like X300 is pretty hard to tackle since it's something quite new in terms of how it works (being kind-of chipset terminator) and vendors don't want to release something uncooked and at the same time X370/B350 are still quite hard to fit onto mITX since AM4 is quite big itself.

Reactions: Rysen
like this
Yes, you should do it before we proceed to fulfilling your order. If you're late and we've locked your order, then you have to contact us ASAP with the address change.

Here's how the back-end of campaigner looks like on this: https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/202916358 so you can have the rough idea how locking the orders look like from our side. You should be notified when we lock your order about the change of its status, I think.

Do you guys know when the cases will be shipped? As I'm moving to a new place on May 15th so I might also need to change address. Thanks.

We cannot be sure about this until we're done with first two weeks of shipments - white cases may slow us down a bit and we simply don't know that yet. If you're worried you won't be able to update your address, then maybe you should change it now to be shipped to someone from your family or a friend.

I am really interested in building a miniITX system..why should I wait for the sentry instead of using the Node 202? Can someone put some side by side pictures? I really need some motivation here^^.

I am really interested in building a miniITX system..why should I wait for the sentry instead of using the Node 202? Can someone put some side by side pictures? I really need some motivation here^^.

Sentry is roughly an inch smaller in each dimension than Node 202 and this difference makes it possible to be transported in a fairly standard backpack or a laptop bag. It also means its significantly slimmer and will feel better in front of TV.
Apart from that it's just the build quality - plastic panels of node 202 will degrade while full metal body will survive years and may be repainted if necessary.

The above, plus the fact that the Sentry easier to build in, and is just straight up gorgeous:

38b.jpg

Ba91Bts.jpg

If you don't want to wait and already ordered the Sentry, just get a temp case until it's delivered.. I couldn't wait and needed the PC so I got the Air 240 for now which my brother will use to build his own computer in later down the road.

Excuse me, but i can´t find the post anymore where somebody tested the Noctua NH-L9i with the deeper fan ?
Can maybe anybody quote this ? Thanks in advance.

We have tested this - not recommended, gets louder with worse performance - having clearance from the top inlet works best.

Stumbled across this looking for whether the new bracket is available yet. Hopefully it will be available by mid-April when cases start shipping and ITX motherboards for Ryzen start becoming available.

ontohcs3m32eoycjyrfo.png

4th week of Sentry manufacturing process

We are still in the period of receiving packages and organisation of production. We just rented the premises near our office where Sentry will be assembled, packaged and stored before the ride to your homes. We also received some more elements from the lists showed before.

This week we received:
- 2 mm allen wrenches,

rkm5ih9gvokmwxrpnok1.jpg

- USB 3.0 extension cables,

ialikdqgn8gajhpqwxir.jpg

- package-foiling machine for printed carton boxes (like we said before, security of your package is very important for us. Packaging Sentry carton box in heat shrink foil will make an additional barrier against eventual moisture during the transport).

bzhtmnlomnr07x0gmghf.jpg

What is more, we received samples of DEMCiflex magnetic dust filters designed especially for Sentry. You will be able to order them directly from DEMCifilter after we will test those samples to make sure the designs are okay.

ncavp7oqvdtjya6agbnz.jpg

Meanwhile we talked with our metal parts subcontractor and we predict we will get first transport of steel elements for accessory boxes on the 4th of April. We will get all of those smaller parts at once and on the following week we should start getting Sentry main body parts. Things are getting serious :)

Awesome! The dust filters are a great touch, I know people were worried about that. You guys are te best, thanks for all the hard work you're doing! Eagerly awaiting my Sentry.

ontohcs3m32eoycjyrfo.png

4th week of Sentry manufacturing process

We are still in the period of receiving packages and organisation of production. We just rented the premises near our office where Sentry will be assembled, packaged and stored before the ride to your homes. We also received some more elements from the lists showed before.

This week we received:
- 2 mm allen wrenches,

rkm5ih9gvokmwxrpnok1.jpg

- USB 3.0 extension cables,

ialikdqgn8gajhpqwxir.jpg

- package-foiling machine for printed carton boxes (like we said before, security of your package is very important for us. Packaging Sentry carton box in heat shrink foil will make an additional barrier against eventual moisture during the transport).

bzhtmnlomnr07x0gmghf.jpg

What is more, we received samples of DEMCiflex magnetic dust filters designed especially for Sentry. You will be able to order them directly from DEMCifilter after we will test those samples to make sure the designs are okay.

ncavp7oqvdtjya6agbnz.jpg

Meanwhile we talked with our metal parts subcontractor and we predict we will get first transport of steel elements for accessory boxes on the 4th of April. We will get all of those smaller parts at once and on the following week we should start getting Sentry main body parts. Things are getting serious :)
I adore you guys for really going all in on every part and detail of the project!

ncavp7oqvdtjya6agbnz.jpg

why 5 filters?

why 5 filters?

I can see you haven't been paying attention to our twitter :p

In vertical position you can mount all four filters externally. Note the fact that one of the exhaust filters has cutouts for the vertical stand locking bolts.

In horizontal position the GPU filter should be mounted on the inside because the magnetic frame is thick enough to cut the gap between the case and the surface it's standing on on the bottom of the case by almost half limiting the fresh air access to the GPU.
When only using case horizontally you could be also using the rectangular filter without cutouts for vertical stand bolts on the CPU/PSU side.

Also, since I believe those filters are directional meaning they are optimised for the airflow in one direction, you might want to install the exhaust filter in opposite way, internally inside the GPU bracket when using blower style GPU because it will suck air from the side as well. I think there should be no problem in ordering the set with this filter optimised for opposite direction since they are taking custom orders as well.

You won't have to buy all 5 filters because DEMCifilter sells their filters either as a package or piece by piece.

I can see you haven't been paying attention to our twitter :p

In vertical position you can mount all four filters externally. Note the fact that one of the exhaust filters has cutouts for the vertical stand locking bolts.

In horizontal position the GPU filter should be mounted on the inside because the magnetic frame is thick enough to cut the gap between the case and the surface it's standing on on the bottom of the case by almost half limiting the fresh air access to the GPU.
When only using case horizontally you could be also using the rectangular filter without cutouts for vertical stand bolts on the CPU/PSU side.

Also, since I believe those filters are directional meaning they are optimised for the airflow in one direction, you might want to install the exhaust filter in opposite way, internally inside the GPU bracket when using blower style GPU because it will suck air from the side as well. I think there should be no problem in ordering the set with this filter optimised for opposite direction since they are taking custom orders as well.

You won't have to buy all 5 filters because DEMCifilter sells their filters either as a package or piece by piece.
Where do we buy?

Will you try to get a German distributor, like Caseking? It might have been asked before but is there an estimation when a non-backer customer can buy one?
Do you think high end hardware will still be silent in office/idle?

Will you try to get a German distributor, like Caseking? It might have been asked before but is there an estimation when a non-backer customer can buy one?
Do you think high end hardware will still be silent in office/idle?

1) It will depend on the the retailers ability to order/fund their stock. There are few retailers that are interested in having our product already so don't worry. If they're not covering your region, then we'll try to figure out direct sales from us for you, but I think EU should be covered by one or another retailer some time after we deliver campaign cases to backers and they hopefully will be satisfied with their purchase.

2) I've got 80W TDP Xeon E3-1231v3 - something between 65W non-K i7s and 91W unlocked-K i7s. On office/idle its fine, gaming is okay and synthetic loads are slightly, but noticeably louder than 65W i7-6700.

We've also got some other builds with xeon E3 and pentium working in the office in tandem with silverstone semi-passive SFX PSUs and blower style high-end quadro's and those builds are silent to the point you can hear the almost silent coil whine/switching on those GPUs power sections when rotating big assemblies in SolidWorks, which is kind of funny because it makes you feel like an electric actuator is rotating your assembly :)

I've also made an Unreal Engine 4 build-bot with an older 91W unlocked i7 last week that is standing on my desk and it's quite bearable in the open office space environment when cooking the build, but I think it'll be noticeable in solo office where the ambient is silent.

For office work it will be totally fine, don't worry. Also if you don't necessarily need highest clocks possible, go for one of those i5-7600/i7-7700/R5-1400X/R7-1700 (all 65W TDP).

as i arrived late for the crowdfunding where and when can i buy this case?

We have to deliver the cases to the backers before we get into the retail. Until that happens we cannot take orders outside the indiegogo and we don't want to launch inDemand sales on indiegogo because that would discourage retailers to do business with us.

Retail should come sooner than anticipated in the campaign timeline since we've gather ~1000 orders while we were prepared for up to 5000, but will definitely be after the cases are delivered to the backers.

If you want to get one of the campaign cases and not wait for retail availability then the best way would be to try getting Sentry from someone who changed their mind or ordered two to have more time in choosing their colour etc. Make sure to find someone from your country if you want the case to be shipped directly to you, since we won't be changing shipping country of perks. The backer can change the address until we lock their contribution when we're handling his order. You need to be fast if you want to buy off the case from someone with low order number.

How do I find one wantig to sell theirs? Is there a community thingy within indiegogo? Thing is also I'd really like to see in IRL before buying one. 10 years ago I dearly wanted a Silverstone Temjin 07 and when I found one in retail I didnt really like it. Also it spoiled aluminum a bit for me, its not that great imho.

I organize a lot of stuff with magnets at home, ist there any reason no to put magnets on the sentry?

I just wanted to further mention how much I adore the beauty auf the project! When I showed it to my (polish) best friend, who is an engineer at Volkswagen, he seemed rather proud of you guys :)

How do I find one wantig to sell theirs? Is there a community thingy within indiegogo?
You could start a thread here for perk exchange somewhere here, on sff forum, LTT etc where you believe you'll get most attention. Putting info in this thread will make it sink pretty fast under new posts. Also you can't comment in the indiegogo campaign unless you have contributed to it.

Thing is also I'd really like to see in IRL before buying one. 10 years ago I dearly wanted a Silverstone Temjin 07 and when I found one in retail I didnt really like it. Also it spoiled aluminum a bit for me, its not that great imho.

If that's what you need, then you'll have to find someone pretty close wanting to sell their perk to see it for yourself.

I organize a lot of stuff with magnets at home, ist there any reason no to put magnets on the sentry?
Don't put the magnet where your 2.5" drives are?

I just wanted to further mention how much I adore the beauty auf the project! When I showed it to my (polish) best friend, who is an engineer at Volkswagen, he seemed rather proud of you guys :)
Cool to know, thanks :)

We have to deliver the cases to the backers before we get into the retail. Until that happens we cannot take orders outside the indiegogo and we don't want to launch inDemand sales on indiegogo because that would discourage retailers to do business with us.

Retail should come sooner than anticipated in the campaign timeline since we've gather ~1000 orders while we were prepared for up to 5000, but will definitely be after the cases are delivered to the backers.

If you want to get one of the campaign cases and not wait for retail availability then the best way would be to try getting Sentry from someone who changed their mind or ordered two to have more time in choosing their colour etc. Make sure to find someone from your country if you want the case to be shipped directly to you, since we won't be changing shipping country of perks. The backer can change the address until we lock their contribution when we're handling his order. You need to be fast if you want to buy off the case from someone with low order number.

Is there going to be any design adjustments needed to accommodate resale from retailers?

Is there going to be any design adjustments needed to accommodate resale from retailers?

We'll have to figure out whether we can continue making white cases as we told you before and we might need to update packaging for retail, but except for that we probably won't make any changes.

We don't want to delay retail launch and updating designs followed by further prototyping would definitely delay it significantly. We also want to gather concrete feedback from the current version users before changing the designs.

Last edited:
So with shipping getting closer and April around the corner...has anyone started purchasing and rounding up new parts for the build? Would love to hear what everyone is planning to buy and build with for their new Sentry once it arrives :)

Back