SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

I'm also eyeing the 1700X but I don't think you could cool a 95W cpu inside Sentry... Maybe getting 1700 non-X and overclocking it slightly until the temps reach 85C will be a better idea..

Running a 95W CPU currently with, according to my last test, 64C on the CPU in prime95. Cooling a 95W CPU is cake, putting it in a smaller case will still be well under 85C. I agree tho after reading more reviews on the 1700, it may be a good pick when over clocked to 4.0GHz; however, this OC completely up to the mITX mobos as folks are seeing the VRMs are getting very hot on the basic mobos.

Okay, I am not trying to be biased but 7700k overclocks like a mofo. There is no question to that....

However, we have not had ANY bios/optimization for ryzen. Its literally running on 4+ yr old code at times.
Also, do we really care between 100 fps and 120 fps? , Anything above 60+ is good in my book.... and if I can get less times while animating/doing CAD work I am fine with the r7 1700. :/
I am really in a hole between the 7700k vs r7 1700.

There really is no right answer here: I think the deciding factor will be if there are any mitx am4 boards before/while my sentry comes... Because that strix board looks absolutely gorgeous.

Okay, I am not trying to be biased but 7700k overclocks like a mofo. There is no question to that....

However, we have not had ANY bios/optimization for ryzen. Its literally running on 4+ yr old code at times.
Also, do we really care between 100 fps and 120 fps? , Anything above 60+ is good in my book.... and if I can get less times while animating/doing CAD work I am fine with the r7 1700. :/
I am really in a hole between the 7700k vs r7 1700.

There really is no right answer here: I think the deciding factor will be if there are any mitx am4 boards before/while my sentry comes... Because that strix board looks absolutely gorgeous.
I would say go with the R7 1700. Even if it's less performance it's a experience with a brand new architecture that was built from the ground up for the past four or more years. I know being enthusiast seems to be about supporting the best of the best, or maybe that's just fanboys and bandwagons, but hell doesn't versatility among different platforms hold some value?

I would say go with the R7 1700. Even if it's less performance it's a experience with a brand new architecture that was built from the ground up for the past four or more years. I know being enthusiast seems to be about supporting the best of the best, or maybe that's just fanboys and bandwagons, but hell doesn't versatility among different platforms hold some value?

I just want the best for my money for a certain amount of time, lets say 4 years since I ll upgrade at that point since I hope by then 10nm + optimization has happened (late 2020/ early 2021).
Tbh, it doesnt really matter what I get -- the few seconds here and there are not gonna do much: I am just being picky.

At a certain point I guess I just have to buy and be happy with what I have, which is kindof why I set the Sentry Deadline because I have a fully functional laptop which can run most things......

I just want the best for my money for a certain amount of time, lets say 4 years since I ll upgrade at that point since I hope by then 10nm + optimization has happened (late 2020/ early 2021).
Tbh, it doesnt really matter what I get -- the few seconds here and there are not gonna do much: I am just being picky.

At a certain point I guess I just have to buy and be happy with what I have, which is kind of why I set the Sentry Deadline because I have a fully functional laptop which can run most things......
I'm on the same boat. Also own fully functional laptop that can run most things. Unfortunately it can't run VR and that will soon be my new toy. Going back to the subject of getting the best for your money, if you truly want the best the 1800X gives the best value for the money it cost. You will simply not get the performance the 1800X has for that price in any other chip. However, if you are looking into gaming only the 7700k destroys the competition in the ITX form factor. The reason I decided to finally go for the i7-7700k is because it will give me the best performance in VR because single core performance still gives a much higher advantage in real-time rendering than 8 cores can give at 3.6Ghz. However, if you are like one of my colleagues and you are looking for best overall rendering performance (for use in things like CAD software and 3D scene rendering) then the 1800X is by far the best choice in the market right now.

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
Rysen Well, I ll wait a few more weeks, lets see those bios updates roll in, and I ll decide. Thanks (Rage where is my beautiful sentrY)

Update plsss :x

Tired of waiting

Tomorrow we will make an update through the Indiegogo system. We will also post it here. I wanted to make this update few days earlier, but i was on a business trip to one of our wind turbines and i was simply AFK. In the morning we will aggregate all the information we gathered and by the end of the day we will send them to you.

avm52vdmj6jy.jpg

Mini-ITX mobo for Ryzen from biostar exists.

> X370? Isn't this supposed to be X300?

That's indeed X370. Biostar managed to fit it into Mini-ITX.

That's awesome! The morning after I bought my MSI Carbon itx motherboard. Anyways I hope it performs well on the case for whoever decides to get one.

I thought you'd buy Asus strix...
That board is sexy AF.

I didn't expect this but I'm not complaining.

I knew I saw that biostar had an x370 itx! There's really no reason it can't fit in an itx form factor. It's not like it has 500 pcie lanes coming from it. They only include traces that are needed. I mean, if asrock could make the x99 itx, then x370 itx is no problem. The only disappointment is they didn't have 2x m.2 pci x4 lanes for two nvme drives. A few z270 itx have two m.2 slots now.

I thought you'd buy Asus strix...
That board is sexy AF.
The Asus Strix requires me to remove the M.2. heatsink in order to fit DAN's cooler that's why I didn't get the strix. Also it was a bit expensive, I wanted to make-sure that most of my budget went to the 1080ti.

We are preparing a bigger update in the middle of this week. For now i can tell you that, thanks to bigger order we could talk with our suppliers to make some additional improvements in some things, like... this will be in the update :) Please be patient.
Hey! Hope you guys can give us a update soon regarding weather you can meet delivery deadlines for first batch. I will be moving in a few months and was concerned. Thank you :D

Hey! Hope you guys can give us a update soon regarding weather you can meet delivery deadlines for first batch. I will be moving in a few months and was concerned. Thank you :D

What is your number? As I recall they start shipping in April and will ship 150(might be wrong here) each week.

Also haha, that biostar. Clearly they want to take the mobile out of our ITX machine. XD

Last edited:
I knew I saw that biostar had an x370 itx! There's really no reason it can't fit in an itx form factor. It's not like it has 500 pcie lanes coming from it. They only include traces that are needed. I mean, if asrock could make the x99 itx, then x370 itx is no problem. The only disappointment is they didn't have 2x m.2 pci x4 lanes for two nvme drives. A few z270 itx have two m.2 slots now.

IIRC X370 chips only provide gen 2 PCI lanes. If there are more than 1 m.2 slots one would use gen 3 PCI lanes directly from the CPU and the rest would use gen 2 from the chip set.

Stealth "will be available later this year" which hopefully means it will be released during Rysen 5 or Ryen 3 launch in Q2 and we may see some changes by then.

RZFZ7fz.jpg

Judging from this picture, if Spire is 54mm tall, then Stealth will be at least 8 mm lower making it a ~46mm unit and it should fit inside Sentry if that will be true in the end.

as for stealth not being bundled with 1700 - it looks like Spire is the only cooler launched so far as Max will be available to the pre-built makers (AMD partners).

[QUOTE = "SaperPL"] [/ QUOTE]

Please, dont stop! we want see news about Sentry )

Last edited:
it is english language forum not russian ;) 1700 will be 95tdp as a result built with spire not stealth.

It is a cooler TDP of 95W, 1700 is still 65W. We should be able to get a stealth cooler from the lower end users that will upgrade to water cooling etc.

it is english language forum not russian ;) 1700 will be 95tdp as a result built with spire not stealth.

I would like to say that I'm like you and like all people from this thread waiting for the news about the sentry )

Reactions: 7x1x
like this
[QUOTE = "SaperPL, должность: 1042856933, член: 278939"] Stealth "будет доступен позже в этом году", который, мы надеемся, означает, что он будет выпущен в течение Rysen 5 или Ryen 3 запуска в Q2, и мы можем увидеть некоторые изменения к тому времени.

Судя по этой фотографии, если Шпиль 54мм высокий, то Stealth будет составлять не менее 8 мм ниже, что делает его ~ 46 мм блок и он должен поместиться внутри Sentry, если это будет верно в конце концов.

за скрытность не в комплекте с 1700 года. - это выглядит как Spire единственный кулер запущен до тех пор, как Макс будет доступен для прекомпилированных производителей (партнеров AMD) [/ QUOTE]

Please, dont stop! we want see news about Sentry )

We certainly welcome people from all over the world but please post in English so those of us who are not bi lingual can communicate with you .:)

It is a cooler TDP of 95W, 1700 is still 65W. We should be able to get a stealth cooler from the lower end users that will upgrade to water cooling etc.
aaaa i'm sorry ryzen with X has 95tdp without 65w

1600x - 95w, 1500x 65w

where is a update? week is coming to end ;)

Last edited:
Stealth "will be available later this year" which hopefully means it will be released during Rysen 5 or Ryen 3 launch in Q2 and we may see some changes by then.

RZFZ7fz.jpg

Judging from this picture, if Spire is 54mm tall, then Stealth will be at least 8 mm lower making it a ~46mm unit and it should fit inside Sentry if that will be true in the end.

as for stealth not being bundled with 1700 - it looks like Spire is the only cooler launched so far as Max will be available to the pre-built makers (AMD partners).
aaaa i'm sorry ryzen with X has 95tdp without 65w

1600x - 95w, 1500x 65w

where is a update? week is coming to end ;)
Yeah, I have been waiting since I woke up this morning. Ha ha

They said that they would compile today, and release at the end of the day (my understanding), assuming they live in Poland it is currently 20:30 there, so it should be soon......

Hey, does anyone know if I can install my MSI Gaming X 1070 when the cover and the frame on the GPU side are not installed? I know that I will have to sell it, but I want to wait for Vega before i do!

I cant wait for the update! Greetings from Germany!

Update is live

YEAHHH BLACK USB CABLES AND BETTER SHIPMENT

Really, though, I'm glad you guysa re gonig with that transportation method, with the foam.

We just made an update through the indiegogo newsletter system, so as i promised, i'm also posting it here:

ps6lszhhvxn4ymxhsj6p.png

It's time for the first update about current state
of Sentry manufacturing process.

After long wait, this week we received your contributions from Indiegogo. Immediately we started making orders for Sentry components. At this moment we ordered parts which need the most time to be manufactured and delivered:
- Steel body of Sentry,
- PCI-E riser,
- USB 3.0 extension cable.

Thanks to the bigger order, we could talk with our suppliers to make some improvements that contributors asked about:
- USB 3.0 cable will be manufactured in the black colour (previous one was blue), with only USB sockets in blue, which will make the cable less visible through the vents and hopefully will match aesthetic of other black cables inside your case.

pwslopwym9calhf6d0lw.jpg

- Power button cables will be manufactured with additional cable sleeving. Also power and led connectors will have printed descriptions instead of paper labels.

During the waiting time for first parts to come, we are improving some other elements, which will be needed in the later production stage. For example, we have decided to switch the idea of using bubble wrap or packing peanuts to the newly designed transport foams. As you know, Sentry will be packed in the foil bag and its own carton box. We will put this whole box in the transport foam and this construction will be inserted in another, bigger transport box.

sbsvfg5h1pulotoljmho.png

We are thinking about making additional package protection against water and all kinds of moisture, but we will see if we will be able to get the special foiling machine on time. This is not a must, but we think, if there is a time and possibility to improve something, we can check it.

What is more, we designed the internal transportation process using euro paletes and cargo boxes, so we will be able to transport Sentry steel parts safely without harm from our manufacturer to our assembling facility.

prqriblu0jolsuq7uvus.jpg

It looks like everything is going in the right direction. Even considering the long waiting time for the bank transfer from Indiegogo, we still think we will be able to start the shipment process in the April (so according to the plan).

Meanwhile, as many of you know, in Poland we had Intel Extreme Masters 2017 event. We were asked by Intel to send them some of our prototypes for their exhibition made in press showroom. Some of the photos can be found below:

kdq8sckvhzmnkbh01rqe.jpg

rcxidgeoa1jb5wstrxlt.jpg

We will try to make more frequent updates, so stay tuned.

It's awesome that Intel reached out to you guys! What exactly did they want the Sentry for, do you guys know?

That looks like a GPU dock and laptop in the background, so maybe they were talking about power density? Anybody feel like translating some Polish? ;)

Perhaps they wanted to demonstrate how people could "feel" or use their Intel processor, haha. In a way I don't blame them.. Showcasing their desktop processor in such a small form factor and particularly one that rivals consoles.

Back