SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

jayztwocents and gamersnexus have good vids on the differences...

Seeing that some founder edition cards right now are close to 500$, setting the price at 650$ is a bit expensive for barely any increase in performance. However the new cooling system while not giving much better temperatures does a better job of moving the heat from the intake fan to outside the case, so it should be a nice improvement on the ACX card on compact builds.

if you watch either of those vids(I prefer jayz's) you will realize that there is A LOT more going on than just the cooler changes. is it worth the $99 upgrade or $650 price? that's debatable but it is the most technically advanced version of the 1080 right now. the FE vs AIB is also debatable especially with this very custom version.

So at the dan's case thread the dondan guy suggested that he might work on a new CPU cooler with noctua. If he can make it under 47mm this could be huge cooling solution for Small Form Factor cases. If you guys are interested please reply to this thread to let him know.

His words:
The Nexus is nearly end of life and is hard to get it, so i thought about developing my own heatsink.
The heatsink will be very similar to the Nexus, but with more heatsinks and the option to mount a 120mm fan under it. It will include a bracket to shift the fan if you don't have low profile ram. I think about Noctua as manufacturer.

Will be somebody interested in something like this?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Whole Ryzen lineup pricing got leaked in China:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-full-lineup-pricing-clock-speeds-leaked/

Interesting cpu options:

- AMD Ryzen 5 1400X 4c/8t 65W with unlocked multiplier and XFR (unlimited turbo depending on thermals) for $199 which might compete in performance with 7700K
- AMD Ryzen 3 1200X 4c/4t 65W with unlocked multiplier and XFR (unlimited turbo depending on thermals) for $149 which might compete in performance with 7600K

already tried to fit an LP53 + Noctua 92mmx14mm fan, but could not tame my stock 4770k (delid).

What would be the best CPU cooler option next to the LP53?

Whole Ryzen lineup pricing got leaked in China:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-full-lineup-pricing-clock-speeds-leaked/

Interesting cpu options:

- AMD Ryzen 5 1400X 4c/8t 65W with unlocked multiplier and XFR (unlimited turbo depending on thermals) for $199 which might compete in performance with 7700K
- AMD Ryzen 3 1200X 4c/4t 65W with unlocked multiplier and XFR (unlimited turbo depending on thermals) for $149 which might compete in performance with 7600K

That... Actually looks awfully nice. I'm going to be very interested to see some comparisons and to see what the thermals look like.

I think the most intriguing to me is the 1500. It does not have XFR, which is really kind of a shame, because that means to fit in it's 65W thermal window, it's base clock is only 3.2GHz.

However... For almost exactly the price of an unlocked core i5, you get a 6-core, 12-thread monstrosity that comes with 16MBs of L3 cashe; which means in games that are heavily CPU bound, it should crush the core i5 and it's 6MB.

Last edited:
IF what they're saying about way that Ryzen will save power, then 95W octa core XFR units might easily overpower 7700K by pure clock speeds in quad-threaded performance when only 4 out of 16 threads would be required to run quad core optimised applications

SaperPL

Does the "Nexus Low 7000 R2" mod with "Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12" fan will fit in the Sentry ?
Link to @dondan thread to mod the Nexus Low 7000 R2

By considering a Very Low-Profile (VLP) DDR4 non-ECC Ram like the innodisk DDR4-2400 M4U0-AGS1WCSJ installation ?
fc9c871e14.jpg

or even by using the Noctua A9x14 instead of the Prolimatech to install a standard size DDR4 Ram ?
nexus_190db74.jpg

any thoughts ? :)

If I remember correctly, dondan made drawing where he noted the height for this to be 49mm while we can put inside something around 48mm max.

I couldn't find the silverstone SFX 92mm V3.0 lineup in US stores while I was updating the recommended build so I've asked silverstone about that and it looks like I might've pushed this subject.

They gave me these links:

ST30SF V2.0

Amazon - http://a.co/hCOTSXF

Newegg - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256175

ST45SF V3.0

Amazon - http://a.co/c3AVQR8

Newegg - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256176

Is Silverstone going to come out with an 80 plus gold efficiency rated 92mm fan unit like Corsair's SFX PSUs?

I have no idea, but I think this may be kind of a way for pushing the more expensive SFX-L units that have 80+ gold certification. Note the fact that corsair 450W unit costs twice as much as silverstone 450W 92mm.

They do but if the build quality is anything like their sfx-L units (fan rattle, short warranty, lack of high quality Japanese capacitors, and overall noisier than Corsair's 92mm) then I'd rather pay the extra for the Corsair units.

I hope they're good though.

They do but if the build quality is anything like their sfx-L units (fan rattle, short warranty, lack of high quality Japanese capacitors, and overall noisier than Corsair's 92mm) then I'd rather pay the extra for the Corsair units.

I hope they're good though.

I understand the lack of Japanese capacitors, but so far with 3 SFX units from silverstone: SFX-L 500W and two 300W SFX I've had literally no problems with them and they are inaudible on idle and not noisy at all under load. (All three of them are constantly being used now in prototype Sentry cases).

For comparison Chieftec's 500W SFX-L unit doesn't have semi-passive cooling and its fan isn't perfect from start, the bearing had to be put into work for some time before it stopped making screeching noises.

BeQuet SFX while being quiet in general tends to start screeching randomly when I stop playing a game and it has to cool itself down but it's not in a full load anymore so the fan in the middle RPMs is not optimised.

I simply haven't had any problems with solverstone's power supplies and their sfx series are quite reasonably priced.

SaperPL

Does the "Nexus Low 7000 R2" mod with "Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12" fan will fit in the Sentry ?

By considering a Very Low-Profile (VLP) DDR4 non-ECC Ram like the innodisk DDR4-2400 M4U0-AGS1WCSJ installation ?
fc9c871e14.jpg

or even by using the Noctua A9x14 instead of the Prolimatech to install a standard size DDR4 Ram ?
nexus_190db74.jpg

So the structure in that cooler is metallic, and it leaves a small space between the fan and the heat sink. That means that if you have some way to heat it up or by forcing the top you can actually shrink it 1mm. Unfortunately you run the risk of breaking it if you force it so it is much better idea to heat it up and then force it. But if you do, it should work. I was going to buy it for the sentry but unfortunately the heatsink is out of stock.

SaperPL

fc9c871e14.jpg

nexus_190db74.jpg

i'M thinking perhaps we can try the Phanteks PH-TC12LS Low Profile Heatsink (48mm tall without fan) If what frosty tech is saying is correct then it should fit a 25mm fan under it or at least a 15mm fan. The question is will it perform better than the lp53?

A word of warning for anyone wanting to use a Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WIFI motherboard (like me): The placement of the USB 3 header is quite awful and from a few measurements I've just done, it seems using an LP53 cooler on that board will block the USB3 header. I haven't found a proper footprint picture of the LP53, but a fair bit of collecting pictures and measuring around and I am now fairly sure it will not fit in any orientation and not obstruct the USB 3 header. Plan B is now to go with the an ASRock H270M-ITX/ac , because I really want the extra cooling power of the LP53. My first option was the Gigabyte motherboard with a Noctua NH9-LI, but that's now off. I'm still quite curious how the Zalman CNPS2X will perform, because of its flower shape and thereby cooling the surrounding components. I think I read a few pages back that that is going to be tested in the near future, but I don't expect better results than with the LP53.

Also: The ASRock also has the m.2 interface on the top of the motherboard, so I suspect that will be useful in keeping the SSD cooler than on the bottom of the motherboard. If anybody has any good reasons not to pick this motherboard and recommends going with the Gigabyte / Noctua combination instead, I would very much like to hear why.

Couple things, first I want to say that the lp53 is a great SFF cooler that requires ZERO modding to fit a traditional LGA115X socket. As Ej24 has proven, it is better than the beloved noctua.

Second is no, the lp53 is not better than the Dynatron. It's a server rated cooler meant for server racks with fans that sound like a jet engine taking off. That's is why I believe it has the ludicrous 150W TDP rating with no fan on it (because it was designed to fit 1U racks, usually with a line of fans in the rack).

Now upon further looking into the results of my test I was using Prime95 version 28.10 which can kill a Sandy Bridge chip. I will re-run the tests with version 26.6 to produce more realistic results; however the mere fact that even with ver 28.10 it ran at 64C is insane. I predict it will be even cooler, perhaps 3-7C. I unfortunately can not re-run the test until I return back to the states in 2 weeks.

My Too long, didn't read from my original post on Page 46 was: Replaced mobo caps to fit a new cooler bringing temps from 98C to 64C.

This again was done with Prime95 ver 28.10

Edit: I apologize if I come off a little strong. I just don't know what research you've found to produce that conclusion.

For the Dynatron R15 wouldn't this mount or this mount help mount it properly?

It's compatible with LGA2011 and someone even said they tried it with the Noctua D14 and it worked so I think it might work with the Dynatron 15. Any thoughts?

41ib29NW8VL.jpg

For the Dynatron R15 wouldn't this mount or this mount help mount it properly?

It's compatible with LGA2011 and someone even said they tried it with the Noctua D14 and it worked so I think it might work with the Dynatron 15. Any thoughts?

41ib29NW8VL.jpg

The noctua secu-firm you attached is clearly meant for lga115x. I have no idea how it'd be compatible with a lga 2011 cooler. Have any links to examples?

Looks like I'll be selling my i7-4790K for an AMD R7 cpu. Things are beginning to look very nice for AMD to really shake up the entire cpu market. Their "mainstream" am4 platform will compete with Intel all the way to the top HEDT i7's. I really wonder how Intel will justify the massive up charge for x99/x299 anymore. Soon it seems 6900k performance will be available at 6700k prices.

Soo much hype all around! SENTRY! RYZEN! Exciting times.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be selling my i7-4790K for an AMD R7 cpu. Things are beginning to look very nice for AMD to really shake up the entire cpu market. Their "mainstream" am4 platform will compete with Intel all the way to the top HEDT i7's. I really wonder how Intel will justify the massive up charge for x99/x299 anymore. Soon it seems 6900k performance will be available at 6700k prices.

Hopefully dynatron will have am4 socket mounts since that's what I'll be getting.

I currently have my 4670k and the rest of my respective build parted out and listed on eBay. All aboard the hype train! Choo choo!

I've also been looking closely to leaks about Ryzen. Do you think we'll have any luck cooling R7 1800X in Sentry?

The noctua secu-firm you attached is clearly meant for lga115x. I have no idea how it'd be compatible with a lga 2011 cooler. Have any links to examples?
From the comments section a review by one of the verified owners. I Quote:

" I have the D14 for LGA 2011 and decided to move to Haswell because my setup was overkill and figured it was time to build a truly silent PC. So I kept my D14 and bought this mounting kit. It was a simple installation with no problems.

I've owned all the Noctua parts below for about 2 years."

Noctua Official website, I quote:

"The kit can not be provided free of charge for the NH-D14 SE2011 (special edition for LGA2011 only) as well as for DX series Intel Xeon coolers. If you would like to use the kit with these coolers, please purchase it a local reseller. "

the FAQ says:
"The following coolers can be made compatible to LGA1150 using the NM-i115x Upgrade-Kit but are not eligible for Noctua’s free mounting kit offer: DX-Series Xeon coolers, NH-D14 SE2011."

Essentially it doesn't directly say its compatible with all LGA2011 but it should be compatible with older version of Noctua heat sinks that use LGA2011

It is not very clear because they do not refer to the socket itself but rather to whether it is compatible with older noctua products or not, that's why I was asking. So I'm not sure.

Also read the stuff here.

Haha, I'm also getting the Ryzen 1800x and hope that they can release decent itx (amd300) motherboards fast. Even if the only option is biostar I'll buy it. I don't want to wait another month after the arrival of ryzen (if case is already shipped by that time).

I've also been looking closely to leaks about Ryzen. Do you think we'll have any luck cooling R7 1800X in Sentry?
Cooling might not be a problem given the way the architecture works. It should adapt to the temperatures in the case and under-perform instead of overheat. Also so far all the new cpu coolers Noctua released for Rysen do not fit on the Sentry so we will be stuck with the stock coolers.

From the comments section a review by one of the verified owners. I Quote:

" I have the D14 for LGA 2011 and decided to move to Haswell because my setup was overkill and figured it was time to build a truly silent PC. So I kept my D14 and bought this mounting kit. It was a simple installation with no problems.

I've owned all the Noctua parts below for about 2 years."

Noctua Official website, I quote:

"The kit can not be provided free of charge for the NH-D14 SE2011 (special edition for LGA2011 only) as well as for DX series Intel Xeon coolers. If you would like to use the kit with these coolers, please purchase it a local reseller. "

the FAQ says:
"The following coolers can be made compatible to LGA1150 using the NM-i115x Upgrade-Kit but are not eligible for Noctua’s free mounting kit offer: DX-Series Xeon coolers, NH-D14 SE2011."

Essentially it doesn't directly say its compatible with all LGA2011 but it should be compatible with older version of Noctua heat sinks that use LGA2011

It is not very clear because they do not refer to the socket itself but rather to whether it is compatible with older noctua products or not, that's why I was asking. So I'm not sure.

Also read the stuff here.

I just don't see how the vertical posts of the bottom bracket of the secu-firm for lga115x will also line up with mounting holes on lga 2011. The socket (and thus the mounting holes for a cooler) is so much bigger.

A bit off topic.. XD. But how sturdy is the sentry while using it as a headphone stand? Haha. Wouldn't want the thing to fall over. Ever.

I just don't see how the vertical posts of the bottom bracket of the secu-firm for lga115x will also line up with mounting holes on lga 2011. The socket (and thus the mounting holes for a cooler) is so much bigger.

They don't. It has 2 optional holes the outermost hole should be the one for the lga2011

Reactions: Ej24
like this
A bit off topic.. XD. But how sturdy is the sentry while using it as a headphone stand? Haha. Wouldn't want the thing to fall over. Ever.

I imagine Sentry with a pc in it outweighs your headset 100 to 1. And the stand is quite wide. I doubt the sentry will even know your headphones are there.

Reactions: Rysen
like this
I imagine Sentry with a pc in it outweighs your headset 100 to 1. And the stand is quite wide. I doubt the sentry will even know your headphones are there.

Oh ya I keep forgetting the package will weigh nearly 6 pounds o_o.

I think those were found to be just renders by a forum member on another enthusiast forum.
What do you mean? See image below:
AMD-Ryzen-Cooler-Raja-Koduri.jpg

Also the only ITX motherboard revealed to date is the biostar motherboard. Anyone found any pictures?

What do you mean? See image below:
AMD-Ryzen-Cooler-Raja-Koduri.jpg

Also the only ITX motherboard revealed to date is the biostar motherboard. The one on the right.
biostar.png

That's basically just the wraith cooler, correct? Others have posted similar images that were found to be just renders.
AMD-Ryzen-CPU-Coolers.jpg

That's basically just the wraith cooler, correct? Others have posted similar images that were found to be just renders.
AMD-Ryzen-CPU-Coolers.jpg
Yes, they are obviously renders lol, but they might be renders of the real thing.

Yes, they are obviously renders lol, but they might be renders of the real thing.

More specifically renders by a forum member with no affiliation to amd. At any rate, even if close to the real thing, none look slim enough to fit in sentry.

The dan A4 case thread is picking up momentum for a custom manufactured low profile cooler. If anyone hears anything else on the subject be sure to post it here too. I'm sure there are many Sentry fans that will be equally interested.

More specifically renders by a forum member with no affiliation to amd. At any rate, even if close to the real thing, none look slim enough to fit in sentry.

Good to know that those are renders from someone on a forum, but I wouldn't be sure that they aren't real deal. That might've been someone who've seen some of them in the builds presented in amd zone on CES but couldn't take a photo obviously. Big stretch on faith here thought.

Also note the fact that all those leaks might be orchestrated by AMD as I said before to pick a fight with intel and see what will they do before AMD launches the ZEN with final pricing. While the coolers don't fall within the subject to last minute changes, leaking them makes us talk about Ryzen so it works :p

As for the fitting:

65W unit looks like ~47mm, and the rest look like ~58mm - if those are real and AMD wants to keep compatibility with cases based on intel atx design recommendations.

The backround: I'm looking for a case that is easy to transport, but sometimes I need to do very intensive computations fast.
I pre-ordered sentry, as it's the most mobile case that I was able to find, now I'm thinking if there's a way to mod it to get better cooling while not sacrificing much of portability.

Has anyone considered placing a bunch of presure optimized NF-F12 outside of the case blowing into the case? They can be easy to attach, remove.

Back