SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

If you must buy something now, a good psu likely won't be obsolete in the next few months haha. So I'd suggest the Corsair SF450 or SF600 depending on how powerful of a system you intended to build. If you can afford it, I'd suggest the 600W as it gives you room to get more powerful components in the future but will also be more efficient even at low power consumption. The Corsair psu's are easily the best sfx psu's on the market in terms of component quality, warranty, and features for the price. I have read that the Silverstone sfx psu's have had issues with fans being loud, failing, etc. So the corsair is my suggestion.

I really thought the sfx-L units would be better but my research has also concluded that the Corsair SFX PSUs seem to come out on top in terms of build quality.

The noise difference is also similar between the sfx-L units and Corsair's SFX series since the sfx-L units have bearing noise.

The "key thing" in my statement was time. It is not that we can't get this cooler at all. We have Tuesday and every company we ask or check on the website when we could receive the package, they say 5-7 working days, "next week" or "by-the-end of next week". The best one was "transport takes 1-4 working days, shipment within 72 hours". Next week is the end of the crowdfunding campaign. The only time we can make such coolers benchmarks is this weekend. This is the last chance we can test all of them, to be sure everyone who are still undecided will get even better information how "their" cooler will perform in Sentry.

That's true. I can't believe the campaign is almost over! Well then if nothing else I'd still recommend trying the cooler for your own personal use. That is, unless your up coming cooler tests demonstrate an even better option.

Several days ago we received an email asking which company did we choose to make an intro for our Sentry campaign. The answer is: none :) It took us so long to make it, mostly because we had to learn how to do it right by ourselves. If someone is curious how the movie set looked like, here is a photo of it:

Got a question about the production scheme;

Do you plan to ship the week 1 batches first, then move on to week 2? Or will you roll all 10 batches and then ship?

I don't think so. It looks like this:

Totally understood about all of the complexities of managing not just the queue of actual stock to be produced, but also people's expectations!

BTW, great work on building a product that even got my lurking ass onto [H] and this thread. I've been reading back and what a labor of hardware love this has been :]

Got a question about the production scheme;

Do you plan to ship the week 1 batches first, then move on to week 2? Or will you roll all 10 batches and then ship?

We do not have so much time to make 10 small batches at once. We want to start sending packages in the 1st week of April. There are many things to do with the shipment (QC, assembling, packaging, paper work, etc.), so we plan we will prepare 150 unites every week, and at the end of that week we will ship this small batch. Next week, next 150 units, next small shippment. In that way people who ordered first won't have to wait untill we will make cases for everyone, but everyone will get their cases according the time of their order. We think this should be fair for everybody.

Anyway what's your order numbers guys? I wonder how fast were people on the forums to back the campaign :D

I was so upset because I've never crowdfunded before so I just donated 235 bucks then I realized I messed up so I refunded my order selected the perks put in my information and everything a second time and I got 137.

We do not have so much time to make 10 small batches at once. We want to start sending packages in the 1st week of April. There are many things to do with the shipment (QC, assembling, packaging, paper work, etc.), so we plan we will prepare 150 unites every week, and at the end of that week we will ship this small batch. Next week, next 150 units, next small shippment. In that way people who ordered first won't have to wait until we will make cases for everyone, but everyone will get their cases according the time of their order. We think this should be fair for everybody.
So do you guys know the actual numbers including the people who switched and got refunds. How much money has been backed by now? (That is, if you have a simple way of telling us)

Well since I backed on day one I've apparently moved up from 58 (I think?) to 40. So that's a roughly 20% drop out rate? Seems high, but nonetheless they've almost sold out and still have just over a week to go. I bet they'll sell out even with refunds.

Hey Saper and or Zombi, do you guys intend to directly roll profits from sentry in to a new project? Will you continue to optimize sentry or maybe try a whole new design? Or will this be your only venture in to custom pc components? I'm curious if you have any more big ideas or plans now that there is light at the end of this long tunnel for getting sentry to market.

So do you guys know the actual numbers including the people who switched and got refunds. How much money has been backed by now? (That is, if you have a simple way of telling us)

The money on the progress bar is accurate with refunds being removed from it but it includes the shipping costs. The perks are showing the value of all contributions including the refunded and this is intended behaviour by indiegogo.

Our problem here is that we can't go with intended scenario of indiegogo on how to handle refunds by adding more white units as a new perk because we've got our limit on how much we are 100% sure we can manufacture. If we were to add a perk with small amount of white units, then many more people would try to refund their good place in line to get the whites thinking that white units may be kind of limited edition.

Hey Saper and or Zombi, do you guys intend to directly roll profits from sentry in to a new project? Will you continue to optimize sentry or maybe try a whole new design? Or will this be your only venture in to custom pc components? I'm curious if you have any more big ideas or plans now that there is light at the end of this long tunnel for getting sentry to market.

There's quite a few ideas about what we could be doing after delivering Sentry to backers, but we'll be thinking about this after we process the orders when we know how it all looks from the perspective of that point in time.

Obviously optimising Sentry price-wise comes into mind, but from what we see now it's less of a design problem and more of production volume problem - Some time ago Zombi did show you the numbers on manufacturing costs and with such small volume we're paying a lot to make it a complete product because of markups of subcontractors on every accessory included. If we were to make a volume of 10 000 then maybe we could get all those components dirt cheap per unit making it more affordable, but that volume is something we can target only after you prove us that we have indeed made something that is worth such investment.

Last edited:
Anyway what's your order numbers guys? I wonder how fast were people on the forums to back the campaign :D

156 - wasted some time figuring out what i had to whitelist on script safe to get the buttons on indigogo to activate properly. :bookworm:

358 -Black. So I read your comment in the forums like 2 minutes after you posted that the campaign was up, but I had not yet decided which case I wanted. I was looking at the ML08B-HW, the RVZ02 or the RVZ01 rework that silverstone showcased in their booth at CES 2017 (It looked great but Silverstone said nothing about release dates and its not the first time Silverstone showcases a concept and ends up not releasing it.) The Dans case was really nice in terms of size but I did not like the shape, too wide. I really wanted something like the ML08B-HW or the RVZ01 that looked slightly better. I saw linus tech tips video on the case but it was a bit disappointing that it couldn't run a titan X, which is what I am running at work, without throttling so I didn't want it. Until I realized that for the size of case I want pretty much every case will throttle using a titan x therefore I should get gtx 1080 instead and now sentry was not only good enough for my build but much smaller than the other options. Every other option that was too wide was ruled out. Tall towers don't really take too much space.

I love compact portable stuff so I am willing to give up other things like performance and value in order to get something that can fit anywhere and I can take everywhere which is the main reason why until now instead of owning a desktop pc I own a powerful laptop(attached most of the time to my monitors).

Last edited:

136 - White, I had to run to find a signal to place my order, I think I finalized it around 11 mins after launch. How are you guys figuring out your "new" number after a couple folks refunded/dropped out? Also super glad I made it in the first 150:D

How are you guys figuring out your "new" number after a couple folks refunded/dropped out? Also super glad I made it in the first 150:D
As far as I'm aware, the only way to find your new number is to go to the backer list and manually count the people before you. That's what I did.

I already ordered an NCASE but I really want something smaller now. After the disappointing order attempt of the Dan case I might consider this.. Anyone selling a black case? ;)

How long the long run perk takes? May/June?

I already ordered an NCASE but I really want something smaller now. After the disappointing order attempt of the Dan case I might consider this.. Anyone selling a black case? ;)

How long the long run perk takes? May/June?

At this moment it looks like something like 150-200 first orders from Long Run will be added to first batch. Probably something like 24h before the end of campaign, when we will know how many units people ordered, we will send a newsletter with information how many from Long Run units we guarantee to make as First batch. Our first batch should be 1000 units. It means, if we won't gather 1000 units together from single and double perks, then we will simply add those Long Run Black cases to the First Run. We just do not really know how many of them. Right now it looks like all of Long Run cases will be added as to First Run batch, so it won't matter if you are in 1st batch or in a Long Run... just the time of your order will count. We will see how will the situation look like 24h before the end of campaign.

764 :( I had no money when it went live so had to wait a few days until pay day. But I'm glad I was able to order!! (y)

So I'm trying to figure out my CPU cooling solution and am looking for some opinions. I really like RosaJ's solution using the DYNATRON R15 (even if it's not a perfect fit) since it seems like the best performance without being a ton of extra work to make it fit. I'm curious what everyone thinks the best fan would be to pair with it though.

It looks like a fan thickness of 20mm is possible when paired with the R15 (for a total height of 47mm); but, that's probably too close to the case side and would create too much noise. The fan I've been looking at is the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12. I realize that it's 120mm and I'll have to have the fan slightly offset so it doesn't interfere with my RAM but I like that it should help keep other motherboard components cooler. I realize that the Noctua NF-A9 would fit better and would potentially be quieter but it's just so ugly that I can't see me putting it in my case even if I won't see it once the side panel is on. I'll know that it's secretly there mocking me with its clashing color scheme. The other option that I might go with is using the fan from my C7. I don't find it to be extremely loud and it matches the black and white color theme I'm trying to go with for my build. I just feel like there's a better solution than using that fan.

I'm open to any suggestions for both CPU coolers or what fan to use (or insults about my refusal to use the Noctua fan due to the color even though the heatsink will be copper colored already). I've been trying to think of the best solution and I can't seem to come to a conclusion for more than a few hours before feeling like there's a better solution that I just haven't thought of.

On a side note: Does anyone know if the only difference between the R15 and R30 is that the R30 just has a fan attached to it? Amazon has the R30 for $3 cheaper which seems odd since it looks identical to the R15 except that it has a fan on it (which could just be removed).

I've been lurking here for quite some time, finally created an account! I started out at Order 52, just counted from the end of the backers list and I got 33 now, but two of those are double orders so I'm guessing I'm around 35...?

EDIT: All that said, I'm really excited for this case, it'll be replacing an RVZ02, and will be perfect for my job which has me traveling a LOT. My main plan is to hook it to hotel TVs and game while on the road! I use lower TDP components already so this is a perfect fit for me! (lower wattage GTX 1060, i3 6100T, etc).

So I'm trying to figure out my CPU cooling solution and am looking for some opinions. I really like RosaJ's solution using the DYNATRON R15 (even if it's not a perfect fit) since it seems like the best performance without being a ton of extra work to make it fit. I'm curious what everyone thinks the best fan would be to pair with it though.

It looks like a fan thickness of 20mm is possible when paired with the R15 (for a total height of 47mm); but, that's probably too close to the case side and would create too much noise. The fan I've been looking at is the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12. I realize that it's 120mm and I'll have to have the fan slightly offset so it doesn't interfere with my RAM but I like that it should help keep other motherboard components cooler. I realize that the Noctua NF-A9 would fit better and would potentially be quieter but it's just so ugly that I can't see me putting it in my case even if I won't see it once the side panel is on. I'll know that it's secretly there mocking me with its clashing color scheme. The other option that I might go with is using the fan from my C7. I don't find it to be extremely loud and it matches the black and white color theme I'm trying to go with for my build. I just feel like there's a better solution than using that fan.

I'm open to any suggestions for both CPU coolers or what fan to use (or insults about my refusal to use the Noctua fan due to the color even though the heatsink will be copper colored already). I've been trying to think of the best solution and I can't seem to come to a conclusion for more than a few hours before feeling like there's a better solution that I just haven't thought of.

On a side note: Does anyone know if the only difference between the R15 and R30 is that the R30 just has a fan attached to it? Amazon has the R30 for $3 cheaper which seems odd since it looks identical to the R15 except that it has a fan on it (which could just be removed).

Thanks for the shout out. I ended up sticking with the C7 fan and mount due to my observation that the type fan won't really have an effect on cooling. This after watching quite a bit of YouTube videos/pictures with the last being the creator of the s4 mini testing the ID-Cooling IC45 against the noctua. He swapped fans with no difference in cooler; however the noctua cpu fan was quiter. Fortunately I never hear my C7 fan unless I benchmark it which I don't think if a real factor for me switching the fan.

As for the R15/R30 difference appears to only be the addition of a fan and mount. If it cheaper now I say go for it. If it's load slap the C7 fan on it and reap the cooling benefits of the Dynatron cooler. YMMV heavily and is dependent on how tall your CPU IHS is to mobo PCB as well as if you have capacitors around the CPU socket you need to be aware that they may be to tall to fit the cooler on the CPU. You can replace the caps or go with the copper shim idea SaperPL suggested (which is a good one). Hope this helps and have fun!!

The best performing cooler is the lp53 (THAT ACTUALLY FITS IN THE SOCKET) but you have two choices (it should perform better than the I based on my research):

1.Get a slim 80mm fan (good luck finding anything decent)

2. Mod the lp53 by attaching a Noctua NF-A9 fan or a XtraFlow fan from coolers master (might not fit) to the LP35 heat sink like others have shown in the Thermolab (Cooltek) LP53 review thread.

Last edited:
The best performing cooler is the lp53 but you have two choices (it should perform better than the e DYNATRON R15 based on my research):

2. Mod the lp53 by attaching a Noctua NF-A9 fan or a XtraFlow fan from coolers master (might not fit) to the LP35 heat sink like others have shown in the Thermolab (Cooltek) LP53 review thread.

Couple things, first I want to say that the lp53 is a great SFF cooler that requires ZERO modding to fit a traditional LGA115X socket. As Ej24 has proven, it is better than the beloved noctua.

Second is no, the lp53 is not better than the Dynatron. It's a server rated cooler meant for server racks with fans that sound like a jet engine taking off. That's is why I believe it has the ludicrous 150W TDP rating with no fan on it (because it was designed to fit 1U racks, usually with a line of fans in the rack).

Now upon further looking into the results of my test I was using Prime95 version 28.10 which can kill a Sandy Bridge chip. I will re-run the tests with version 26.6 to produce more realistic results; however the mere fact that even with ver 28.10 it ran at 64C is insane. I predict it will be even cooler, perhaps 3-7C. I unfortunately can not re-run the test until I return back to the states in 2 weeks.

My Too long, didn't read from my original post on Page 46 was: Replaced mobo caps to fit a new cooler bringing temps from 98C to 64C.

This again was done with Prime95 ver 28.10

Edit: I apologize if I come off a little strong. I just don't know what research you've found to produce that conclusion.

Here's a small UPDATE on how we'd like to handle smaller news you still might be interested in and some of the "case porn" we might have:

- We've come to a point where there's enough talks here in this topic that our updates and explanations on things you ask are quickly falling behind unnoticed
- There are smaller updates about our tinkering with prototypes and testing things you ask about that everyone might be interested in but that's usually not a good material for newsletter
- We don't want to spam through newsletter people that subscribed but aren't really interested in buying at this point and are just waiting for retail most likely, and our newsletter provider has quite strict anti-spam policy limiting how much newsletters can we push over time.
- It's even hard for us to backtrack subjects that came up on those ~60 pages now and point to the post with our detailed explanations on things you guys are asking.

We are kind of old-timers with social media, so we weren't paying too much attention to twitter earlier, but now it might be a good place for those smaller updates and "case porn" content:

- twitter user page has a blog-like behaviour with comments pinned within each post so they won't flood the page and push down our updates
- you can easily look through all the content we've posted so far without scrolling through hundreds of pages on the forums
- it's a place we're more prone to put some quick smartphone photos on what we're doing at the moment over high quality photos made with requirements on how should the content look on the product website that take significant time to arrange
- we can embed tweets easily through multiple forums like this:
while BBCode has different limitations and handling on each forum and we're usually fixing links over and over to make small gallery of photos with miniatures...

Because of all that we've moved most of the updates from personal accounts to quite freshly made company/project twitter page.
If you're interested in those smaller news from now on, then follow us here: https://twitter.com/ZaberSentry

If not - make sure to read the newsletters when we're explaining crucial things about campaign, shipping etc.

the lp53 is a great SFF cooler that requires ZERO modding to fit a traditional LGA115X socket. As Ej24 has proven, it is better than the beloved noctua.
I am sitting here with a NH L9i and a 4670k and not sure what I should do. I know I am not gonna get to go crazy but a slight overclock without cooking my components would be nice. Is there a way to improve the NH L9i? Do I have to spend another $50 on a the LP53? Thoughts?

I am sitting here with a NH L9i and a 4670k and not sure what I should do. I know I am not gonna get to go crazy but a slight overclock without cooking my components would be nice. Is there a way to improve the NH L9i? Do I have to spend another $50 on a the LP53? Thoughts?
I asked Ej24 if he could check NH-L9i with 25mm fan for comparison with LP53 - the 25mm Noctua fan is pushing like ~50% more air than 14mm unit by spec so there might be significant difference in performance there.

Hi!

New poster here, for around 1 year I have followed this forum occasionally... It has been some 11+ years since I built my last desktop pc. After that I only had couple of entry level “gaming” notebooks, now I'm typing this on 3 year old Dell notebook with Radeon 8870M graphics card, which I use for gaming.

Followed NCASE thread, but decided that I don't like such wide case and such a complex build.

Thanks to SENTRY I finally took decision to enjoy full power desktop graphics and VR, so I ordered SENTRY Long Run perk on Indiegogo. Looking forward to build my first desktop pc on August/September timeframe, when back from vacation and summer house.

Looking forward to hear from you guys, what CPU coolers, graphic cards and power supplies are the best match for the SENTRY case.

Couple things, first I want to say that the lp53 is a great SFF cooler that requires ZERO modding to fit a traditional LGA115X socket. As Ej24 has proven, it is better than the beloved noctua.

Second is no, the lp53 is not better than the Dynatron. It's a server rated cooler meant for server racks with fans that sound like a jet engine taking off. That's is why I believe it has the ludicrous 150W TDP rating with no fan on it (because it was designed to fit 1U racks, usually with a line of fans in the rack).

Now upon further looking into the results of my test I was using Prime95 version 28.10 which can kill a Sandy Bridge chip. I will re-run the tests with version 26.6 to produce more realistic results; however the mere fact that even with ver 28.10 it ran at 64C is insane. I predict it will be even cooler, perhaps 3-7C. I unfortunately can not re-run the test until I return back to the states in 2 weeks.

My Too long, didn't read from my original post on Page 46 was: Replaced mobo caps to fit a new cooler bringing temps from 98C to 64C.

This again was done with Prime95 ver 28.10

Edit: I apologize if I come off a little strong. I just don't know what research you've found to produce that conclusion.

I'm sorry, I made a mistake. I didn't look into it and rushed my answer. Never mind that part of the comment. Essentially what I was saying was out of all of the other heat-sinks that actually fit in the socket ( Intel LGA1155/1156/1150) based on what I have researched it seems to be the best. (fixed it).

Last edited:
Reactions: RosaJ
like this
Thanks for the shout out. I ended up sticking with the C7 fan and mount due to my observation that the type fan won't really have an effect on cooling. This after watching quite a bit of YouTube videos/pictures with the last being the creator of the s4 mini testing the ID-Cooling IC45 against the noctua. He swapped fans with no difference in cooler; however the noctua cpu fan was quiter. Fortunately I never hear my C7 fan unless I benchmark it which I don't think if a real factor for me switching the fan.

As for the R15/R30 difference appears to only be the addition of a fan and mount. If it cheaper now I say go for it. If it's load slap the C7 fan on it and reap the cooling benefits of the Dynatron cooler. YMMV heavily and is dependent on how tall your CPU IHS is to mobo PCB as well as if you have capacitors around the CPU socket you need to be aware that they may be to tall to fit the cooler on the CPU. You can replace the caps or go with the copper shim idea SaperPL suggested (which is a good one). Hope this helps and have fun!!

You're very welcome for the shout out. You did some good work actually trying out the mod and proving that it can be done and that it provides a noticeable improvement instead of just theorizing it. What did you do to keep the C7 fan from falling off? I have an Asus Z170i pro gaming and it looks like the capacitors won't interfere with the cooler but it's REALLY close and I don't think I can really make a judgement call from just images. I'll have to take off the C7 at some point and take a look myself to be 100% sure. There are way too many capacitors around the socket so replacing them isn't really an option. The biggest hurdle that I'll have to overcome with this cooler is attempting to think up a mounting solution that doesn't look too out of place. Luckily the angle that the screws would have to go at to fit into the LGA115x mounting holes isn't very severe so it shouldn't be too bad.

The best performing cooler is the lp53 (THAT ACTUALLY FITS IN THE SOCKET) but you have two choices (it should perform better than the I based on my research):

Thanks for the reply and a link to that thread. If I give up on the idea of using the R15, the LP53 looks like a great alternative. I wonder if anyone will be able to come up with an easy way to mount larger fans for quieter operation (even if it doesn't result in much better performance).

You're very welcome for the shout out. You did some good work actually trying out the mod and proving that it can be done and that it provides a noticeable improvement instead of just theorizing it. What did you do to keep the C7 fan from falling off? I have an Asus Z170i pro gaming and it looks like the capacitors won't interfere with the cooler but it's REALLY close and I don't think I can really make a judgement call from just images. I'll have to take off the C7 at some point and take a look myself to be 100% sure. There are way too many capacitors around the socket so replacing them isn't really an option. The biggest hurdle that I'll have to overcome with this cooler is attempting to think up a mounting solution that doesn't look too out of place. Luckily the angle that the screws would have to go at to fit into the LGA115x mounting holes isn't very severe so it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for the reply and a link to that thread. If I give up on the idea of using the R15, the LP53 looks like a great alternative. I wonder if anyone will be able to come up with an easy way to mount larger fans for quieter operation (even if it doesn't result in much better performance).
There are fan mounts that you can use on ebay or amazon. Just use them in reverse. Example.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm sorry, I made a mistake. I didn't look into it and rushed my answer. Never mind that part of the comment. Essentially what I was saying was out of all of the other heat-sinks that actually fit in the socket ( Intel LGA1155/1156/1150) based on what I have researched it seems to be the best. (fixed it).
No worries, I completely agree the LP53 is a phenomenal cooler thanks to Ej24 for his tests.
What did you do to keep the C7 fan from falling off?
At the moment it is just resting on the cooler, its a snug fit, but has nothing to latch on as the C7 has a notch/flange on 2 sides of the cooler to hold it down. I'm not sure what I plan to do for a more "permanent" solution as I'd rather not involve glue or my dremel yet as I'd like to visualize a solution when I have my SENTRY case:)
I have an Asus Z170i pro gaming and it looks like the capacitors won't interfere with the cooler but it's REALLY close and I don't think I can really make a judgement call from just images. I'll have to take off the C7 at some point and take a look myself to be 100% sure. There are way too many capacitors around the socket so replacing them isn't really an option.
Yeah it's difficult to eyeball, best bet is taking a toothpick or something small and straight, and drawing two lines on it at 6mm and 8mm. If the capacitor is over 6mm, then probably a no-go. Also should be able to measure the other capacitors around the motherboard as they are usually the same across the entire board now a days. Fortunately I only had to replace 3 and only one gave me trouble, but was fun non the less and a good learning experience.
The biggest hurdle that I'll have to overcome with this cooler is attempting to think up a mounting solution that doesn't look too out of place. Luckily the angle that the screws would have to go at to fit into the LGA115x mounting holes isn't very severe so it shouldn't be too bad.
I actually have a couple ideas for new mountings, first is to epoxy 2-3 nuts together(number depends on actual length) with 2 screws on each end like this:
|___
.......|
(dots/periods....are for spacing)
and the it will all be painted black to look less noticeable. I'm hoping the epoxy will set quickly and look smooth, if not I plan to sand it.
Again best bet is to do a quick measure of surrounding caps and if it's over 6mm then your decision will be easy and the LP53 will be a great alt. (y)

Guys, I know that this forum is read and the people of Russia too. Is there anyone here from Russia, who want to share my 2-pack set of white+white or white+black (but for myself I will take White)? If anyone is interested, let me know at [email protected]

what is max length gpu for put 4 hdds in gpu space? zotac gtx 1060 amp has 210mm. is it fit with hdds? or only max lenght gpu is 200mm?

By default there's ~203 mm from the quad drive bracket side to the end of GPU compartment for 200mm GPU + some clearance for hard drive screw heads.

You can try to move the drives to non-dedicated to that holes in GPU compartment inlet and that will give you additonal ~6mm + maybe 1 more mm because of those screw holes are bigger.

I think you might be able to squeeze in this card if the plastic shroud doesn't make it too hard for you.

I cannot be sure though if zotac measured those 210mm with the bracket thickness or not etc.

Back