SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by SaperPL, Sep 1, 2014.

1. NuclearLemons

NuclearLemons n00bie

i think at this point any c7 would perform better than a rusted one.....

2. reif

reif n00bie

Haha, I do not intend on using the rusted one. I threw it away.

I am also looking into the ID-Cooling is-40v3 which seems similar to the C7. They're about the same price and TDP

NuclearLemons likes this.
  3. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

The noctua is really a decent cooler for anything less than ~80W TDP. And quiet too.

Everything I've heard about ID-cooling suggests their performance claims are often way overstated. I've heard the cryorig is loud, but if you're ok with the noise of the C7 then get that. Or the NH-L9a. Either will be fine. Just get something that is known to work well to avoid more headaches.

If the copper c7 proves to be 10C better in cooling then just sell what ever cooler you have and get the copper one. No sense tolerating a bad cooler to wait for one that may or may not be any better than what you could have now.

4. NuclearLemons

NuclearLemons n00bie

in addition to that, some have found that its better to change the fan on a c7, you can get adapters or stick your own on it, there is some degree of performance/noise gain depending on the fan you use.

5. Kelby S

Kelby S n00bie

It's done! Man we're those Corsair cables difficult.

Complete build specs:
    Ryzen 7 1700
    GTX 1080ti
    ASRock ab350
    16GB of Corsair lpx ram
    Corsair SF600
    Cryorig C7 with a 120mm fan adapter and Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM fan

Attached Files:

RosaJ, SoSquidTaste, Gr8Scott and 6 others like this.
  6. Gr8Scott

Gr8Scott [H]Lite

Went on a business trip and have had the pleasure of being able to take this bad boy with me! This is a PC gamer's dream come true! Now to find a smaller monitor!

Still planning on taking more elegant build pictures soon, but thought I would share while it's still fresh.

Thanks Zaber team!

Attached Files:

Sam-I-Am, RosaJ, Talyrius and 5 others like this.
  7. ZombiPL

ZombiPL Limp Gawd

Business trip with ~24'' monitor? What kind of laptop bag you have? :)

8. FISCHER

FISCHER [H]Lite

9. Sam-I-Am

Sam-I-Am n00bie

I travel just the same way!!! Though I found a USB powered 15" HDMI connected 1080p monitor on one of the Chinese websites (like Aliexpress) and it works great! If it works as planned coming up I'll have another treat for this thread!

EDIT: I keep this monitor in a laptop sleeve, fits perfect!

To Be CONTINUED...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 6:38 AM
    Talyrius, Ej24, ZombiPL and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kelby S

Kelby S n00bie

Follow up to my build and the temps I am seeing.

So I have my cpu manually set to 3.6 GHz and with the Noctua Fan and Cryorig C7 during long gmaing sessions 3+ hours the temp hovers around 60C. I ran Prime95 and of course it hit 90C, but I think after keeping an eye on it while playing games I am going to try and get it overclocked to 4.0GHz. I did not test with the stock cryorig fan but if somebody wants I can try and do some testing with it. Overall I am happy with the Noctua fan mod it does use all cpu cooler height available but the 120mm fan helps not only cool the cpu but the surrounding components as well.

Ej24 and SaperPL like this.
  11. Ryvaeus

Ryvaeus n00bie

So it's relatively easy to modify the Sentry to use a PCIe bifurcation riser:

IMG_20171208_113342298.jpg

I'm using an Ameri-Rack ARC1-PELY423-C5V3 which I paid $58 for all-in.

IMG_20171208_113441731.jpg

As you can see, my GTX 1070 Katana fits perfectly with room for one more PCIe card. I intend to fill that slot with an Elgato 4k60 Pro.

IMG_20171208_113504968.jpg

The only necessary modification to the Sentry itself was to cut out the PCIe retention bar, which I did with a Dremel.

IMG_20171208_113605730.jpg

It just took two quick cuts, finished in less than 5 minutes tops, including the time taken to plan the angle of approach.

12. forScience

forScience n00bie

You should put another 1070 in there in sli. That would be neat.

riba2233 and Ryvaeus like this.
  13. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

Galax 1070 isn't actually SLI friendly in neighbouring slots as it's blowing the hot air through the slits in the shroud above the radiator rather than the bracket. I've explained this few times already. This card also isn't ideal for Sentry as there are no vents below the slot for this type of blower card.

Ryvaeus said on reddit that he's reaching 88 degrees c, which is quite hot.

Ryvaeus likes this.
  14. Ryvaeus

Ryvaeus n00bie

It would be neat if I lived in Alaska, where the ambient temp would be able to keep the system running cool.

You suggest cutting a vent, right? I might just do that, but I'd like to figure out the best way to do so while maintaining dat AESTHETIC