SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by SaperPL, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Kelby S

Kelby S n00bie

Yea they said at computex it wouldn't be until the end of the year before any new details. I'm not really in a rush to build so I will probably wait it out. Also waiting to see what dondan does with the HSLP-48.

2. m-jeri

m-jeri n00bie

It's here.. Finally!!.

[​IMG]

Thanks to the saber folks. Packaging was brilliant. @ZaberPL

And here you go... with the Dan A4.

[​IMG]

octagoncow and NTRX_ like this.
  3. ZombiPL

ZombiPL Limp Gawd

Something is wrong with this 2nd photo. Maybe you've moved your camera while taking it?

You also shouldn't put your sentry on a stand like you did it, because screws from the stand might scratch the surface of the case (you put your case upside down).

4. m-jeri

m-jeri n00bie

Its not assembled. Not doing a build now. Just placed it gently to make it stand up to take a photo.

Yea. I was doing gymnastics to make em fill in the frame. My desk is full of stuff for my FreeNAS/Plex build.

If you want nice photos, I can try to take em again though.

5. Rysen

Rysen Limp Gawd

If you don't mind sharing. What is your order number and time zone?

6. m-jeri

m-jeri n00bie

3rd batch. WA state. It was delivered last weekend. I moved and it was shipped to me again by a friend to east coast. :D

7. RosaJ

RosaJ Limp Gawd

Just wanted to give a quick update on my new Ryzen build in Sentry. I have my ram OC to 3200MHz and 14-16-16-16-32-54 timings, which has been rock solid and loving the results. Not sure if I can do any tighter timings, however next step will be bumping up the frequency, we'll see how that goes. Only have done a slight under volt OC on the CPU @ 3.65 GHz/1.3V as I've not had enough time to find the optimal voltage settings. So far I haven't seen it get to my target of 80C (temp which fan will go 100%) with a pretty quiet fan curve, courtesy of ASRocks cool customizable fan curve profiles in the BIOS.

Ej24 likes this.
  8. Veritas187

Veritas187 n00bie

Am I correct in stating that the last transport is this week and that all orders placed have been locked?

9. RosaJ

RosaJ Limp Gawd

As far as I know yes, you are correct.

10. ZombiPL

ZombiPL Limp Gawd

[​IMG]
    Sentry manufacturing process - weekly update

6th transport sent. It was the most complicated of all transports we had before in terms of logistics. Luckily everything went fine and everyone whose cases were assigned for this shipment should already received a tracking information via email.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's time for the 7th and the last transport from this First Batch. As we said before, it will be made with almost all of the "Long Run" orders, and with this shipment we will finish sending Sentry cases ordered during indiegogo campaign.
    Manufacturing process has already begun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a bonus, just like every second weekend we are adding some of the photos we received from our backers showing their builds and also nice desks environments:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Talyrius, nadeboy, dtagirov and 6 others like this.
  11. treasury

treasury n00bie

I really want a Sentry. Can I please buy one?

12. Rysen

Rysen Limp Gawd

There's a long line.

13. Gr8Scott

Gr8Scott n00bie

The Indiegogo campaign is currently closed, so there will be no more units sold from that campaign. They are currently in the process of shipping all of those units out and, after that, they will be working out specifics around sales for units outside the campaign. I believe the timeline on that is late this year/next year.

Many people have asked about buying one here and some have even commented on this forum that they would be selling theirs. If you go back and search for sellers, there may be someone's who has not already been swept up. Outside of that, you could find them marked way up on Ebay, if waiting is an issue.

14. RosaJ

RosaJ Limp Gawd

Duffman247, kingtron and Jspr like this.
  15. 4884

4884 n00bie

Any sentry user ordered a vega?
    I wonder blower fan design or open air design would be better in the sentry:rolleyes:
    I have no idea because I haven't received my sentry yet....It's been more than two months since shipped:cry:
    My system has been naked on a cardboard for quite a while now:banghead:

16. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

Well if you're genuinely interested in Vega, it seems the Vega 56 is the way to go. 90% the performance for only 80% the price and a good bit less power draw (and heat). That said all the reviews have clearly indicated that the 56 is artificially power limited through the stock bios. AIB partner cards (hopefully there will be a few good blowers too) will likely have custom bios that allow for more power and more OC headroom. At any rate the reference Vega 56 seems to be a good card and would probably be fine in Sentry. The 64 though? Meh. Marginally more performance with tons more power and heat.

17. 4884

4884 n00bie

So in general a blower design is preferable in sentry right?
    I've already ordered a 64:oops::p I don't mind the power draw at all. Really want to own some thing balls to the wall (well at least it is to AMD) for once. :happy:
    The thing is, non reference blower design is quite rare on AMD cards. (can't think of any tbh)

18. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure many of us look forward to seeing the results. Blower cards are generally preferred in Sentry. I have a GTX1080 Founders Edition in my Sentry and am perfectly happy with it.
    It seems AMD went with a proper vapor chamber cooler this time so it's not going to be 'terrible' like blower coolers used to be. As for non-reference design, you can usually expect some from Gigabyte, Asus, Sapphire and MSI.
    As far as we know AMD is not planning to restrict it to reference designs with RX Vega like Nvidia does with the Titan line of cards. So I bet there will be one or two Sentry owners that are going to be crazy enough to try an open air style non-reference Vega 64 OC card.
    After all, there are a few people sporting GTX 1080TI's in their Sentry cases already and that's a big power hungry card.

19. reif

reif n00bie

I saw a youtube video that went over open air vs blower cards in SFF cases.

EDIT: Wasn't Linus, it is Bitwit

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 9:58 AM
  20. 4884

4884 n00bie

Thanks for the input. I don't think card in sentry will behave similar to that in the video. That is a huge itx case with two case fans providing pressure so the air inside keeps getting replaced.
    It's not hard to imagine how an open air design would benefit from that.
    In the Sentry we are relying solely on the gpu cooler. Theoretically a blower design should give a consistent, good cooling performance. But since the gpu has it's own compartment (seems like it), an open air design can do pretty good too, depending on the grill and thermal property of the steel. Only someone who actually tested it will know.

Ej24 and darksable like this.
  21. Rysen

Rysen Limp Gawd

Don't get Vega. It's not worth it. With that power consumption you will end up paying way more than what you would for a 1080. The only card from Vega that can be considered is Vega 56 and that is only if you can absolutely not afford a 1070. If you can afford 1070 then there is no point on getting Vega 56.

Vega 56 is not a good choice for a sentry case. Plenty of people who have tested say it gets too hot. The blower cooler is bad.

dtagirov, RosaJ and AgShield like this.
  22. BlkRazor

BlkRazor n00bie

Finally got around to completing my build aka "Black Razor" last night and wanted to share. Here's a quick rundown of what's inside:

CPU: Intel i7 7700
    --originally planned to get an unlocked i5 but came across that eBay deal for the 7700 a while back and thought it was too good to pass up, hence the MB
    MB: Asrock Z270m-itx/AC
    RAM: 16gb 3000 mhz Team Dark Pro
    CPU Cooler: Thermolab itx30
    PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G
    SSD: 250gb Samsung 960
    HDD: 2tb Seagate Barracuda
    Custom cables from avaentum.com
    ......and
    GPU: Asus Strix 1070 Gaming!

Yes, the Strix fits! It is a TIGHT fit, but it fits and required the use of a low profile/angled adapter (came from the eBay seller mentioned a few posts ago). I did have to clip off part of the ends on the rivet things that hold the Sentry nameplate to the GPU bracket in order to clear the shroud on the Strix. I also had to hold everything in place just right to get it back together, but it can be done! Still have to put everything through its paces, but everything powers up, etc., without issue. Silverstone magnetic fan filters (120mm GPU side and 140 mm CPU side) have been added to the inside of the case as well to maintain aesthetics. I did cut out the filter material to fit over the PSU though. I know someone else did this and I "borrowed" the idea from them (don’t remember who right offhand but hope you don't mind :)).

Here are a couple of quick pics I took before I left for work this morning. Thanks for reading!

Sentry BlkRzr1.jpg Sentry BlkRzr2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    Talyrius, RosaJ, octagoncow and 4 others like this.
  23. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

ITX30 with a 7700, eh? How are temps? Only 65 watts so I assume it's pretty good. I have used the itx30 with my pentium g3258 and it works well. I'm honestly impressed with both the itx30 and lp53. Very nice build.

24. FibonacciOne1235

FibonacciOne1235 n00bie

I got a text from USPS this afternoon saying my Sentry (4th batch white) arrived in the US. Hopefully it'll be here soon. :woot:

ChiaPet1021 likes this.
  25. BlkRazor

BlkRazor n00bie

Thanks! Haven't had time to properly test temps yet and may not be able to until this weekend. Right now I'm showing 45c in the BIOS. I was thinking it should be a little bit better than that though. Thoughts? Would appreciate the feedback. Wondering if I need to reapply and/or change my thermal paste or something (Cryorig). Or am I just being overly concerned?

26. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

Bios always reads a little warm due to the fact it runs at max clocks on a all cores and at full voltage. Once you go in to windows it may cool down at proper idle.

My 4790k (recently delidded) with the LP53 cooler and noctua NF-a9x14 fan sits at around 40-42C in bios. And idles around 38C in windows in Sentry. So you can expect a small drop.

You'll potentially overwhelm the cooler with Prime95 or Aida64 but those aren't realistic anyway. In my opinion, anything less than 80-85C is fine during gaming which causes sporadic temp spikes. 70-75C is ideal but not necessary. If you're not satisfied with temps you could try Noctua's NT-H1 thermal paste or Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut (not conductonaut) as both are among the highest performing non-conducting compounds.

If for whatever reason you're still not satisfied there's always the NF-a9x14 fan which could be mounted to your cooler or the LP53, the slightly larger version of the itx30. Though from the few reviews I've found, the itx30 performs about a degree or two C better than the venerable Noctua NH-L9i so I really don't think you're going to have problems.

And if you're crazy like some of us there's delidding and liquid metal. :D totally not necessary though.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017 at 2:23 AM
  27. Morzy

Morzy Limp Gawd

Phew. <.< Order was finally locked. Order ID 1136. I have a feeling these last shipments will stretch into November in terms of arrival.

28. Gr8Scott

Gr8Scott n00bie

I think I'm also 4th batch white. What was your ship date? Mine was 4th of July. Exciting to see more Sentry's hit the States!

29. FibonacciOne1235

FibonacciOne1235 n00bie

Same here, left on July 4th.

30. FeiGnt

FeiGnt n00bie

Would this card be a good choice for a Sentry build? https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814137094
    And if not, would be a better replacement?
    I mainly play League, which I know isn't too gpu intensive, but may pick up PUBG soon while waiting for Destiny 2.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM
  31. BlkRazor

BlkRazor n00bie

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. This definitely makes me think that I'm probably just being myself: concerned when I don't really need to be. :)
    That being said, I'm not going to worry about it too much for now and just go with what I've got unless I come across something alarming. No sense in taking things apart if I don't need to.

Ej24 likes this.
  32. AlbinoWolf

AlbinoWolf n00bie

FeiGnt gtx 1060 will prob be more then enough for what your are looking at; League aint a gpu killer -- just a reminder though, pubg is poorly optimized from what I understand and even with a 1080ti i sometimes get <60fps on ultra setting (1440p - dell 24in gsync 144hz monitor)..... so even if you go with a high end gpu the lows are pretty bad

33. FeiGnt

FeiGnt n00bie

Cool, thanks a lot!

34. RosaJ

RosaJ Limp Gawd

FeiGnt, you need PUBG in your life. Im on a 1070 with min settings (yes this game can look pretty beautiful on max settings) as I play PvP FPS's with as much frames as I can get which is around 140+ in a match and 45-55 pre-game start. So you should be fine with a 1060 at min.

35. Gr8Scott

Gr8Scott n00bie

Keep me posted on when your package arrives. I signed up for text updates too, but haven't received anything as of yet and manual order tracking just shows the same updates when it left Poland. I may be one of those "never received updates, but it showed up on my doorstep" cases, which is totally fine, but I'd like to know when someone else from the same shipment gets theirs so that I can wait a requisite week and then knock on USPS's door.

Also, as a Scrum Master for an Agile team, your username makes me smile. Long live Fibonacci!