Senator Seeks to Expedite Online Sales Tax Bill

Someone has to collect the money all the Republicans spent on two wars and tax rebates for all this last decade. The restaurant bill has come due and we're all washing dishes now yet the Republicans act like they didn't ring up the bill and only had a glass of water.;)

Yep, Dems are angels and WAY more fiscally responsible than Republicans.

Yep, Dems are angels and WAY more fiscally responsible than Republicans.

You could send an entire generation to Harvard for six years for the cost that the illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have racked up, not to mention all the soldiers sent to their deaths by the war criminal terrorist George W Bush.

You could send an entire generation to Harvard for six years for the cost that the illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have racked up, not to mention all the soldiers sent to their deaths by the war criminal terrorist George W Bush.
While I'm not a fan of how we handled Iraq and Afghanistan, I don't believe the "wars" were entered illegally. Congress passed legislation allowing for Bush to send soldiers in. Since we were not fighting a state, but a group of people unassociated with the state, It was not a violation of the UN Charter.

Now Bush refusing due process and labelling the other side as being "outside the protections of the Geneva Convention" was definitely screwed up, but he did what he did with the full backing and support of the American people as determined by the body they elected to represent them. Only a single member of the house voted not to give Bush the power to invade the foreign country and hunt down the terrorists. It was possibly the only time in my memory that the US stood so closely united on any topic.

While I'm not a fan of how we handled Iraq and Afghanistan, I don't believe the "wars" were entered illegally. Congress passed legislation allowing for Bush to send soldiers in. Since we were not fighting a state, but a group of people unassociated with the state, It was not a violation of the UN Charter.

Now Bush refusing due process and labelling the other side as being "outside the protections of the Geneva Convention" was definitely screwed up, but he did what he did with the full backing and support of the American people as determined by the body they elected to represent them. Only a single member of the house voted not to give Bush the power to invade the foreign country and hunt down the terrorists. It was possibly the only time in my memory that the US stood so closely united on any topic.

Had we known the trillions of dollars that would be wasted, the many illegal and insider deals that would be made, and the overall body count, the country would have sent a resounding "fuck you" to the evil asshole.

Well, ya somewhat had my attention (and partial agreement) until you went off the deep end.

Good job there...

Just a few questions to ask yourselves for any of the lefties bashing Republicans for spending money:

1. The Afghanistan War was a response to 9/11, would you rather we said "oh shucks, you silly terrorists" and did nothing?

2. The Iraq War is over, and the Afghanistan War is being wound down, but we are still spending more this year, than any year that GWB was president?

3. Are you comfortable giving the current POTUS a free pass on losing 6,500,000,000 US Dollars to bankrupt green energy companies?

4. Are you comfortable giving the current POTUS a free pass on the killing of tens, if not hundreds, of innocent people in drone strikes? Follow-up question: does the war criminal rhetoric stop at the D in the party affiliation?

5. Are you aware that during the last two GWB years, in which GWB spent the most money, Democrats (not Republicans) controlled Congress and approved those budgets.

Just food for thought, if you can make it out of your idealogical bubble. :)

Had we known the trillions of dollars that would be wasted, the many illegal and insider deals that would be made, and the overall body count, the country would have sent a resounding "fuck you" to the evil asshole.
The war spending amounted to 10-15% of the deficit spending during Bush's tenure. Any thoughts on the other 85%?

I'm all for taxing online sales. We should do it, but do it right: 25% of the cost.

Bring back B&M stores. I like to drive an hour to get my Best Buy speakers. Returns are easy, too. I just take an hour or two off work to do it.

I don't see the big deal! :D

If B&M stores had the selection that online retailers have, I might consider using them more often.

As it stands, my local Best Buy sucks (I know, right?), and Wal-Mart, Target and the Mall don't carry what I buy off the internet.

An oft ignored thing about internet sales is that there are those of us who use the internet to buy things because it's not available locally. The lack of sales tax is just a plus on the purchase. :)

I say let it be up to the individual states. There's no reason that the Federal government needs to get involved with this, except to appease their lobbyist overlords. ;)

Ask the Swedes. Ask the Norwegians. Ask the Danes. Ask the Belgians. 20-25% VAT and more than 50% paid in income tax, plus a host of other fees and levies.

but the quality of life is AMAZING. if you've lived there (which i have), you'd see.

but the quality of life is AMAZING. if you've lived there (which i have), you'd see.

If that's YOUR cup of tea, then okay. Until I'm so old and far-gone that I cannot wipe my own ass, I'll kindly ask that everyone keep their hands (and taxes) to themselves and their own utopias.

If that's YOUR cup of tea, then okay. Until I'm so old and far-gone that I cannot wipe my own ass, I'll kindly ask that everyone keep their hands (and taxes) to themselves and their own utopias.

its not my personal utopia. the nordic countries are consistently rated the happiest in the world. there's a lot to be learned from them. collaboration comes with compromise but moves us forward.

its not my personal utopia. the nordic countries are consistently rated the happiest in the world. there's a lot to be learned from them. collaboration comes with compromise but moves us forward.

I'd be happy too if I could see something beneficial come out of my taxes like they get too.

alcohol and tobacco products are taxed more heavily because they present a greater burden to the healthcare system. also, if you're over a certain BMI, youpay more for medical visits. see, it's not so bad.

I'd be happy too if I could see something beneficial come out of my taxes like they get too.

same, i'm taxed about 35% and it feels like it goes out the window. get off the plane in copenhagen and you immediately feel the return. the people are also impossibly attractive and educated as well. (ever see a hot blonde on an offshore rig?) :eek:

Well I can only hope our lobbyists win over their lobbyists. Voting? What do you think this is Athens?

You can't even drink in Norway it's so expensive.

Someone has to collect the money all the Democrats spent on their failed War on Poverty and nationalized medicine for all these last several decades. The restaurant bill has come due and we're all washing dishes now yet the Democrats act like they didn't ring up the bill and only had a glass of water.;)

Fixed.

Given the number of angry old guys here who want to talk about nothing but the government while posting on a forum about computer hardware, I'm gonna say that's a no. :D

This article wasn't about computer hardware, just about Harry Reid wanting to impose taxes on consumers who shop on the Internet (in other words, the government). Because, you know, they have tons of spare cash to throw at Big Brother, and aren't possibly shopping online because it's more affordable.

Har Har. Only casualties there are dollars not bodies. Jerk:rolleyes:

Some would argue that you've stolen the dignity of the lower class by reinforcing that they have no one to rely on except the government. I understand that there are genuinely poor people who need assistance and I don't have a problem with that, but you have to come to grips with the fact that there are poor people who choose to be poor because of life choices (alcohol/drugs/failure to use birth control, etc.) and the government gives them money to continue lifestyle choices that are destructive to their well-being and the well-being of their children and I have a problem with that.

This article wasn't about computer hardware, just about Harry Reid wanting to impose taxes on consumers who shop on the Internet (in other words, the government). Because, you know, they have tons of spare cash to throw at Big Brother, and aren't possibly shopping online because it's more affordable.

Creating a consistent business environment and closing a loophole that has allowed companies an unfair advantage is big brother?

Some would argue that you've stolen the dignity of the lower class by reinforcing that they have no one to rely on except the government. I understand that there are genuinely poor people who need assistance and I don't have a problem with that, but you have to come to grips with the fact that there are poor people who choose to be poor because of life choices (alcohol/drugs/failure to use birth control, etc.) and the government gives them money to continue lifestyle choices that are destructive to their well-being and the well-being of their children and I have a problem with that.
Believe me I am NOT for those programs either. At least not with some sort of verification of need, sliding pay scale to get them off, shorter terms, drug test,etc. I have no prob with the govt helping someone get back on their feet. Its the ones that drag their feet and refuse to help themselves that irks me and thats where reforms are needed.

Back