Scorn

I finished this finally. I can't say I loved it, but I didn't hate it, either (well... some parts I did). Combat remained frustrating and poor throughout. The atmosphere and creepy plot is really the only thing driving this game. The puzzles are not difficult enough to really even matter, and mostly involves just waking back and forth between points.

I am so glad I played this on Game Pass and did not spend $40 on it. My final playtime was just under 3.5 hours, and probably 30-45 minutes of that was redoing sections because of bad checkpoints going.

For $15-20 this might have been an okay indie title but $40 for a 3 hour game with zero (IMO) replay value and bad game mechanics is just disappointing.

All that said, they did something different and that's cool. Maybe Scorn 2 or whatever will be better.

I finished this finally. I can't say I loved it, but I didn't hate it, either (well... some parts I did). Combat remained frustrating and poor throughout. The atmosphere and creepy plot is really the only thing driving this game. The puzzles are not difficult enough to really even matter, and mostly involves just waking back and forth between points.

I am so glad I played this on Game Pass and did not spend $40 on it. My final playtime was just under 3.5 hours, and probably 30-45 minutes of that was redoing sections because of bad checkpoints going.

For $15-20 this might have been an okay indie title but $40 for a 3 hour game with zero (IMO) replay value and bad game mechanics is just disappointing.

All that said, they did something different and that's cool. Maybe Scorn 2 or whatever will be better.

exactly what my thoughts were just from reading reviews...

https://hardforum.com/threads/scorn.1904524/page-3#post-1045477742

The thing is, 90% of the combat is skippable.
I wouldn't say that, some of the time you have no way of getting around something because the corridors are so narrow so you are forced into combat. That, or you try to shove your way past while taking massive damage that you may or may not be able to recover later, given how stingy the game is with healing. A few times when I took damage I just let myself die so I wouldn't have to waste all of my limited healing items.

I know what you are talking about, and there are certainly a few ambushes. But I noticed halfway through the game that often if you hang back / lose them they will crawl into a hole. And then you just run past while they crawl out...

Scorn has released its first major patch which fixes one of the games biggest flaws- the checkpoint/save system...

Patch 1.1.8.0 is now out

Fixed Bugs
-A player can get stuck in the hurt machine
-A player can get stuck in the collision after performing a glory kill
-After killing the Boss in Act V, players are unable to pick up the dropped item
-A player might die by falling through the floor at certain positions

Updates and Additions
-Removed the Continue option after a player finishes the game
-Removed the Load and the Quit game options from the death screen
-Added safety check for a corrupted save slot
-Added Load last checkpoint option
-Added Act III-II hard save
-Updated checkpoint positions
-Updated list of the Kickstarter backers
-Updated Credits
-Updated FSR 2.0 label in the Options menu
-Updated positions of certain assets