SB Overclocking results?

I don't think I'd be completely comfortable with temps in the 80s and voltage above 1.45 - that just seems like a bad combination.

Uncomfortable in the sense you cannot afford to replace a blown CPU?

These cpu's are pretty hardy. If you haven't had a chance to read up on the Sandy Bridge white paper, I suggest you do. Lot of information there you can use to educate yourself vs listening to the have nots and haters spreading lies on "dying Sandy Bridge" cpus. You can also read up on how modern CPU's protect themselves against thermal damaged.

No doubt there is a wealth of misinformation out there that is very effective at flaming the fears newbies have. Not calling you a newbie. Just saying.

Hit up overclockers forums, XtremeSystem forums, etc. Lots and lots of first hand accounts along with screen shots of people running their new SB cpus at 5Ghz+ @ 1.45 - 1.5 vcore, within that range.

There are all sorts of levels of understanding and comfort levels. My friend is timid and doesn't overclock. Lot of us here want to push the limits. As a man and a member of Hardocp and I say this trying to be funny. I would be absolutely ashamed to ever admit I was uncomfortable about overclocking and or having the fear that I might damage something.

There's being bold, and then there is being foolish. Running high voltage (and I'm talking 1.5+) and high temps (80+) isn't being manly, that's just being foolish. In my opinion.

I've got the Vcore set at 1.345 in the bios. Windows reads it as 1.336 as it idles and stressed it drops to 1.328. Tried 1.36 but couldnt get to 4.9. Which setting in the P8P67 bios will keep the voltage stable under load? That the next way to go?

Highest temps so far was 67c according to Coretemp. Windows freaked out once so I can't call it absolutely stable yet.

CPUz4_8.PNG

AIDA89824_1N.PNG

4.6 ghz at 1.26

8gb C. Vengeance
Asus P8P67 Pro
Hyper 212+

I was about to go to sleep and decided to use the auto overclock software just to see how high I could get it. Two minutes later this is what I got. Wouldn't go any higher without rebooting.

g8PpP.png

Not stable, got an error in prime 95. I'm a noob at overclocking

Last edited:
My new 2600K is up and running. :D

Had it to 4.8ghz @ 1.4v but it got too hot under stress testing and was not stable at less volts. Waiting on my H70 to arrive. :yessir:

Here some pics of the testing.

4.8ghz before it got real hot.
i2600K48_138.jpg

4.6ghz
i2600K46_134.jpg

4.6Ghz at 1.3V using a CM Hyper 212+ with 2 fans in push/pull

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc10/Porter_/i5-2500KOC1-13-11.png

EDIT: i was a little too ambitious while lowering my voltage, 1.275V did not pass my "nerd-out to video games" test. back to 1.3V.

i leaned-out my system today. the spec for my ram lists "1.55V - 1.75V" and i previously had it set at 1.65V. i lowered that to 1.55V and manually input timings and speed and all is well. the cpu Vcore ceiling i've set for myself is 1.35V until time proves otherwise. 4.7 GHz would not load into windows with 1.325V (meaning it probably requires 1.35+), so i decided the extra 100 Hz over my previous OC is not worth the extra heat output.

4.6 GHz @ 1.275V is stable and cool

i5-2500KOC1-15-2011a.png

i5-2500KOC1-15-2011b.png

Last edited:
i leaned-out my system today. the spec for my ram lists "1.55V - 1.75V" and i previously had it set at 1.65V. i lowered that to 1.55V and manually input timings and speed and all is well. the cpu Vcore ceiling i've set for myself is 1.35V until time proves otherwise. 4.7 GHz would not load into windows with 1.325V (meaning it probably requires 1.35+), so i decided the extra 100 Hz over my previous OC is not worth the extra heat output.

What are you cooling it with?

I'm running my 2600k @ 4.8Ghz with 1.34v set in the BIOS. CPU-Z reports the voltage as 1.35-1.36 once booted. I have an H50 and the hottest it's gotten is high about 62C under load. I'm pretty happy with this overclock so far.

One odd thing - I've noticed most people seem to have screenshots that show the base clock at 100Mhz exactly. Mine is set to 100Mhz in the bios but CPU-Z reports it as 98.9 or something very close to that. Is that normal?

I'm using an MSI P67A-GD65 motherboard.

EDIT: i was a little too ambitious while lowering my voltage, 1.275V did not pass my "nerd-out to video games" test. back to 1.3V.

What mobo are you running? Do you have LLC at extreme if Asus board?

i have a stock 2600k with a hyper 212+ and its idling at ~32 and maxing around ~53. is that normal? coming from a e6600 that ran at 3GHz idling at 24 and maxing at 55 with a stock cooler, so it just seems a little warm to me, esp with an aftermarket heatsink.

if it is normal im going to go ahead and OC. I just want to make sure I got this heatsink seated and pasted correctly.

Exact same situation here. Can someone chime in so I can go forth confident in my setup? I want to hit 4.8!

I've got mine running 24x7 stable at 4.8Ghz @ 1.38V. Temps while folding do not go beyong 60 (core 3 will touch about 62-63). I'm using a XSPC Rasa RS240 liquid cooling loop.

If I can get any solid numbers on what max voltage intel reccomends, I will try pushing it further. I know with a little more voltage I can touch 5Ghz stable.

I have a complete Work Log here.
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=138486

Last edited:
Exact same situation here. Can someone chime in so I can go forth confident in my setup? I want to hit 4.8!

Mine maxes around 70C (which seems to be pretty common) so something in the 50s sounds pretty good.

Mine maxes around 70C (which seems to be pretty common) so something in the 50s sounds pretty good.

Mind you I'm at 30 idle, 50 load without any overclocking whatsoever on my 2600k with a 212+. Still sound ok to move on with the OCing?

Mind you I'm at 30 idle, 50 load without any overclocking whatsoever on my 2600k with a 212+. Still sound ok to move on with the OCing?

Mine idles at 27 - 40C (big split on a couple of cores) so you'll be fine. Try something reasonable to start to check the temps, but that's a pretty good cooler so you should be fine.

Can you guys start posting your LLC settings? I am having a hard time getting past 4ghz with LLC set to anything other than extreme or auto. With auto I can get up to 4.8ghz, but temps are crazy high into the 90sC

Right now I'm at 4.5ghz with LLC set to auto and max prime temp is in the low 60s.

Will boot into Windows @ 100x50 1.425 but fails stress testing by locking up during IBT @ max.

Don't want to push that voltage just yet due to the varied reports out there.

Did you guys do a fresh install of Windows 7 ? got a setup that I'm happy with and need to understand any difficulties with trying to use it with the new motherboard and chip. Thank You!

I'm able to game and run windows fine at 4.8 1.35v vcore and extreme LLC but fails prime95 within 5 minutes. I've found 4.6 1.3 vcore and Auto on the LLC is stable and never goes over 70c.

Also the Corsair vengeance sticks I have are in the same boat. I can game and run windows fine at 1866 8-9-8-24 1t but I can only get it stable @ 1866 9-10-9-27 2T. Tried voltages up to 1.6 and can't lower a single timing or get 2133.

Once the newness wears off I'll try going over 1.35 on the cpu and 1.6 on the memory but for now I'm just going to enjoy what I have. Took me three days to get here the way it is.

This is immediately after running IntelBurnTest on Maximum.

ocdy.jpg

Whats with my wacky bus speed? I'd like to be at 4.8Ghz for reals :)

Yeah, that bugs me too. When I next reboot I'm going to change it to 101 (hardly out of spec), just to keep it above 99.8

If you have a Gigabyte board, you can set the bus speed to 100.2 and you'll get the exact 100.

Update: Spent more time OCing my 2600K.

Nice and stable now [email protected] on air. H70 should be here tomorrow. :D
I can still get it pretty hot with Intel Burn Test (80's) but I'm pretty sure I'll be safe with my normal uses.

2600K4700hz1344.jpg

My vcore reads out in Windows 7 at 1.39 under load, 100.2 bclock & 49 x multiplier. CPU temperature at idle (read through Easy Tune) 38-43°C, Individual core temperatures @ 43-48°C Load temperatures >76° & rarely exceeding 70° (forgot to check Easy Tune generic CPU temperature under load, need to remember & check that later). Overclocking done with Gigabyte P67A-UD7 & H70 push/pull.

Got myself a 2500k and p8p67 evo board.

Overclocks to 5ghz at 1.425volts and load temps are in the low 60s on a h70
It will do 4.8 at 1.328 with loads in the mid 50s

I have a 2500k, in a P8P67 Pro, I haven't tried much tweaking of it yet, so far I have it running at 4.4Ghz. I have the voltage set at 1.3V, and LLC at auto, which seems to result in the actual core voltage being 1.28V under load, according to CPU-Z 1.56. I have a Hyper212 Plus, running with the stock fan, at default fan profiles, and RealTemp has it running at about 59C on the hottest core right now (With a max of 61C after running overnight. Stable on Prime95 for about 12 hours now, and several hours of games.

So currently:
2500K @ 4.4Ghz
1.28V
60C load with Hyper212 with stock fan

come on guys where all the 4.9ghz - 5.0ghz on air o/c at.

Reports are that very, very few SB CPU's will be capable of such overclocks - so we might see a handful here or there but it's not going to be a common thing. I've got mine on 4.8GHz at 1.35v and that's about all I can squeeze out of it. Anything more would push load temps into the 80's, which I don't care to do.

Reports are that very, very few SB CPU's will be capable of such overclocks - so we might see a handful here or there but it's not going to be a common thing. I've got mine on 4.8GHz at 1.35v and that's about all I can squeeze out of it. Anything more would push load temps into the 80's, which I don't care to do.

But all the hype was 4.9 on air.

believing hype is like believing people who post stock info on the yahoo finance boards.. not a wise thing to do. :)

Really? The hype was more like 4.4-4.6 on air. What does hype matter now that it's out anyways? It's a good chip thats very overclockable.

Back