SB Overclocking results?

Database: currently i have bios 1003. i have tried 1053 with the same results. ya of course i had hopes of 5ghz but kinda expected to at least hit 4.4-4.5 at worst with vcore bump. i think i might be missing something because 4.2 is rocket solid and 4.3 wont even boot windows with everything i have tried so far. i have a cosair A70 max temp so far is 48C folding over night at 4.2

so far the only voltage settings i have changed is:

LLC: High

Phase Control: Extreme

i would bump the vcore more but i am concerned with the 1.33 vcore i see in cpuz with vcore set to auto in windows. at idle vcore drops to 1.00X something but under load shoots up to 1.33X

LCC should just go to extreme, and put the vcore on manual at 1.33

I was rock solid stable at 4.6 with 1.325v but I think if I set LLC to high to even ultra high it would fail prime95

set LLC to extreme and vcore up to 1.39 it would crash at 44x100 with in seconds of being in windows. set it back to 4.2 and found 1.19 was min stable vcore. i just dont get it.

set LLC to extreme and vcore up to 1.39 it would crash at 44x100 with in seconds of being in windows. set it back to 4.2 and found 1.19 was min stable vcore. i just dont get it.

Woah, that's so weird!

thx to hardocp review I got the msi gd55 board and a 2500K
5ghz with ease.:D

jife3n.jpg

2dahopl.jpg

9a30wm.jpg

Looks like you may have got one of the slower chips. I see your temps are nice and low so I would think there is either some BIOS settings that are still not right or the CPU needs to be RMAed for a better one.

Watch this LONG video and replay the settings part till you can get them down. He goes real fast with the numbers so it's hard to see all the inputs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vBN-cBPs98

Anyone with a Gigabyte UD4, are you changing the CPU ratio to overclock, or doing it with the turbo multipliers like the Asus boards do? Got my system in last night but big electrical storms kept me from fooling with it much.

What are your bios settings ?What temperature do you get @ full load ?

Are you running 5ghz 24/7 ?

24/7 yes.
1.384v idle and load it shoots up to 1.432v.

Bios, basically turned off eist, c1 etc...and then rasied multiple and then run prime and raised vcore when needed, kind of easy.
4.5ghz I did at 1.25 or so.
Up to 4.8 it was easy, a bump from 1.28 or so to 1.38 was needed for 5.
set memory at 1600mhz, set bclk at 100mhz.
flashed new bios with unlocked pll setting.
easiest overclock I ever done, this chips just runs faster than light,:D

Msi p67a gd55
kingston hyper blu 2x2gb cl9 1600mhz
watercooled.

Anyone with a Gigabyte UD4, are you changing the CPU ratio to overclock, or doing it with the turbo multipliers like the Asus boards do? Got my system in last night but big electrical storms kept me from fooling with it much.

You are technically only ever changing the turbo ratio on any of the P67 boards.

24/7 yes.
1.384v idle and load it shoots up to 1.432v.

Bios, basically turned off eist, c1 etc...and then rasied multiple and then run prime and raised vcore when needed, kind of easy.
4.5ghz I did at 1.25 or so.
Up to 4.8 it was easy, a bump from 1.28 or so to 1.38 was needed for 5.
set memory at 1600mhz, set bclk at 100mhz.
flashed new bios with unlocked pll setting.
easiest overclock I ever done, this chips just runs faster than light,:D

Msi p67a gd55
kingston hyper blu 2x2gb cl9 1600mhz
watercooled.

What do you have pll set as ?

pll default 1.8
havent moved much around.
controlcenter tells me
vcore is set 1.3650

pll default 1.8
havent moved much around.
controlcenter tells me
vcore is set 1.3650

So wait, if your Vcore is set to 1.3650, how does it get so high on load? Are you using manual or offset mode, and, if manual, what level of LLC?

I'm no tWC'd, just running a H70, so I'd like to run at 4.8 (4.6 is easy at 1.3v), but I'm having trouble figuring out if it's better to run at 1.355v with 'extreme LLC' or turn LLC off and use offset +0.11. The only problem I see is that when I use offset mode, HWMonitor is reporting my voltage spiking up quite a bit when I start prime95. AKA, at load the cpu is at 1.344v, but HWMon says it hit 1.4v.

So wait, if your Vcore is set to 1.3650, how does it get so high on load? Are you using manual or offset mode, and, if manual, what level of LLC?

I'm no tWC'd, just running a H70, so I'd like to run at 4.8 (4.6 is easy at 1.3v), but I'm having trouble figuring out if it's better to run at 1.355v with 'extreme LLC' or turn LLC off and use offset +0.11. The only problem I see is that when I use offset mode, HWMonitor is reporting my voltage spiking up quite a bit when I start prime95. AKA, at load the cpu is at 1.344v, but HWMon says it hit 1.4v.

hwmonitor shows me 1.38v
cpu-z shows me 1.384v.

If I run prime, vcore jumps to 1.43v.
I have set in bios llc low I think.

You are technically only ever changing the turbo ratio on any of the P67 boards.

I haven't had a chance to play with my Gigabyte board yet, but it has a CPU Ratio setting (which used to be used for overclocking) and a Turbo Multiplier setting (which is what Asus uses to overclock). I'm wondering what the difference is between the two settings, or if there is none, why they have two.

Looks like they both work the same way. Quick overclock at 4.5 on 1.3 volts with temps around 70 on a Venomous-X with single Gentle Typhoon. i7-2600K on Gigabyte P67A-UD4 with F7b BIOS.

Last edited:
4.6Ghz at 1.3V using a CM Hyper 212+ with 2 fans in push/pull
just a quick and dirty OC - i spent 2 minutes in the BIOS and performed 15 runs of IBT. i'll find my max OC (and perform more runs of IBT) when i have more time. amazingly easy overclocker...looks like i got a good chip :)

i5-2500KOC1-13-11.png

Just got the system put together. Locked in some tighter DRAM timings, manual voltage, and upped the Turbo multiplier. Been crunching Collatz for several minutes. Still have allot of voltage to play with in the days to come but pretty good for 10 minutes of work. Haven't even crashed the machine yet but I'm tired.

i7 2600k
Asus P8P67 Pro
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1866 9-9-9-24
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Antec P182

1/14/2011:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1593670
4.2Ghz
1.232 Vcore

I built the following today:

Gigabyte P67 UD7
4x2gb Corsair Dominator GT Cas7 1.65v
Prolimatech MegaShadow

These 2600K chips are stupid easy to OC compared to the 920 I came from. Literally anything up to 4.3GHz-4.4GHz is a piece of cake. I got it up to 4.8GHz at 1.4v right now but haven't tested it yet b/c son wanted me to play some L4D2 levels tonight. Spent about an hour on L4D2 and it worked fine - super smooth at that.

UD7 is an OK board - looks better in person than in photos but I'm so used to my X58 Classified so maybe I'm not giving the UD7 a fair shake. I don't like the way it handles failed OC's and reboots - the Classified recovered much more quickly and with less effort. I also cannot run my preferred push/pull setup on the Prolimatech due to the tall RAM so I'll have to move to the H70 probably. Temps are surprisingly good given that I have only one fan on the HSF (and on the "wrong" side too). At 4.8GHz/1.4v it idles about the same as my 920 4.2GHz/1.25v (low 30's). At 4.4GHz or below, idle temps got into the mid/high 20's with less than ideal cooling on the HSF. I like it.

2600k on a p8p67 pro running at 4.3ghz simply by bumping up the multi. asus turbo v says the voltage is set at 1.165 but goes up to around 1.25 under full load.
heatsink is a hyper212+ idle temps are around 35c and load tops out at about 60c

i will probably try going for slightly higher once i play around with the voltage a little more and learn more how the llc and phase control work.

I can't believe how easy this CPU is to overclock. Set multiplier, set voltage, done.

Anyways, as a first effort, got 4.6GHz at 1.33V. Stable after a full night of Prime95. I haven't bothered to find min stable voltage yet...1.25V (which was my lowball) booted into Windows, but failed after a few seconds of Prime95. If I can get it below 1.3V, I'll be a happy camper.

One weird thing though...I have LLC on in the Gigabyte BIOS, and when I boot the PC, CPU-Z reads 1.35V (I have it set to 1.365V in BIOS). Once I start stressing it, it goes down to 1.33V. Is there some protection kicking in? Is this normal?

Here is what I am testing with right now..

nice voltage. what did you set LLC to in the BIOS? i set mine to "ultra high". my screenshot on the last page shows 1.28V at full load and i have it set to 1.3V in the BIOS so it looks like it works pretty well.

That was at normal, I changed it now and right now actually doing 1.2 volts testing at 4.4 GHz. I am trying to get the best OC without using any volts above 1.25. I can do 4.5 GHz at 1.25 no sweat.

I can't believe how easy this CPU is to overclock. Set multiplier, set voltage, done.

Anyways, as a first effort, got 4.6GHz at 1.33V. Stable after a full night of Prime95. I haven't bothered to find min stable voltage yet...1.25V (which was my lowball) booted into Windows, but failed after a few seconds of Prime95. If I can get it below 1.3V, I'll be a happy camper.

One weird thing though...I have LLC on in the Gigabyte BIOS, and when I boot the PC, CPU-Z reads 1.35V (I have it set to 1.365V in BIOS). Once I start stressing it, it goes down to 1.33V. Is there some protection kicking in? Is this normal?

It's normal for the voltage to drop a little, even with LLC turned on. Strange that your CPU-z is working, I have the latest version (1.56) and it still shows some random voltage for mine (1.065).

Just played around with the multi for a quick OC. Will be playing around more with the voltages soon to get optimal settings.

Got IBT stable on 4.6Ghz with voltages set to auto, seems to hit around 1.35v

Probably going to go for 4.6Ghz as normal daily 24/7 till I get some better fans for the H70. Always gotta remember that I have two 6950s dumping heat in there when I game too.

Batch#: L040B698

Noob question here. What settings would I use to overclock my 2600K to an even 4GHZ? Before I just set the blck but now it seems different....

Noob question here. What settings would I use to overclock my 2600K to an even 4GHZ? Before I just set the blck but now it seems different....

leave voltages on auto and put 40 as the multi.

but im sure u can go up to 45

On that Asus board, you need to change the Turbo Multipliers to whatever you want your overclcok to be - so set them to 40 for 4.0 Ghz.

4ghz 1.2v, stock intel cooler with AS5(old AS5 that is prob bad). I hit 70c full load. Nothing I do loads up all four cores so I'm not concerned.

Ok I put the turbo on 40. But now when I goto system info it shows my cpu at 5.8ghz, that's can't be right....and my system is running stable but it must be wrong

4ghz 1.2v, stock intel cooler with AS5(old AS5 that is prob bad). I hit 70c full load. Nothing I do loads up all four cores so I'm not concerned.

2600K/P8P67 Pro

Waiting on my 1155 water block adapter to arrive, so running the stock Intel cooler for now. 4.0Ghz at a HARD (set manually in BIOS, er, UEFI) voltage of 1.2v and I hit about 66c full load (21c ambient).

If I leave the voltage to Auto, it ends up actually being about 1.23v, and temps exceed 70c under load.

Don't use Auto is my recommendation.

2600K/P8P67 Pro

Waiting on my 1155 water block adapter to arrive, so running the stock Intel cooler for now. 4.0Ghz at a HARD (set manually in BIOS, er, UEFI) voltage of 1.2v and I hit about 66c full load (21c ambient).

If I leave the voltage to Auto, it ends up actually being about 1.23v, and temps exceed 70c under load.

For shits and giggles the other day, I set voltage to 1.35 and my OC to 4.2ghz. I was hitting 98C load temps. I am not kidding.

2600K/P8P67 Pro

I used an 1156 backplate if you have one laying around.

Just set the turbo to 50x - everything else auto

testku.png

Here it is at idle

idle.png

Do the temps seem high for a D14 setup? Room temp is ~19C.

----
Core i7 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24, ASUS 5850 Direct CU video card, X-25M 80GB SSD, Cooler Master HAF 932 case

Here it is at idle

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3770/idle.png

Do the temps seem high for a D14 setup? Room temp is ~19C.

seems a bit high for the D14. my CM Hyper 212+, which is less-efficient than your D14, is sitting at 25C idle and that's with a larger voltage applied (roughly same ambient room temp as well). i've never researched the HAF 932 but it looks to be just as cool as my CM Storm Sniper. did you have any issues seating the D14?

here's mine at idle: (EDIT: perhaps the i7's run a little warmer than the i5's?)

i5-2500Kidle.png

Right now I'm at 4.9Ghz. Linpack stable. Load temps are high, 80 - 90c. Also, vcore would jump up to 1.48 at times.

I'm not scared about killing my CPU. So far, everywhere and anything I've read, the reports have been 1.45 - 1.5+ are common, especially with all the guys that had ES Sandy Bridges and some of them have been running 5Ghz for 3+ months 24/7 in those ranges if not more. I've seen several screen shots of 1.6, though, I want to stay at or below 1.5.

Prime95 locks my system right away. Which, I am pretty sure is a voltage issue.

I'm also very stable with World of Warcraft and Bad Company 2. As far as I'm concerned, Linpack success validates to me at least that my CPU is stable under load.

I might try and raise my mem speeds and lower the CPU speed, meet in the middle for lower temps, better performance if possible.

dy1iO.jpg

Back