• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

SB guys going SB-E or no?

Sandy guys going SB-E?

  • Yes - current 25/26K owner going SB-E

    Votes: 10 10.5%
  • No - 25/26K offers EVERYTHING I need and then some

    Votes: 77 81.1%
  • I am an AMD GUY

    Votes: 8 8.4%

  • Total voters
    95
I voted "the plain SB delivers all the performance that I need for years to come" because although SB-E is nice to have, its performance is not increased sufficiently for me to justify spending another $1,000+ for just another CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade.
 
SB 1155 will offer everything I need and then some, especially compared to what I have now.
 
I'm waiting until Ivy is released, then I'll compare performance numbers.
If performance is comparable, I'll stay with SB.
 
Im an AMD guy but Im gonna ride out my Phenom til Ivy Bridge gets here. I figure thatll be a good time for a new build. My motherboard is getting a little long in the tooth and Ive cranked the shit out of it but I think Ivy Bridge is a good point to aim for an upgrade.
 
I'd rather stick with my current setup and upgrade to a 1155 ivy bridge sometime next year.

But if quad-channel memory and/or the extra PCIe lanes end up making a big difference, who knows?
 
I very well might do it just because I skipped Socket 1156 entirely and Sandy Bridge. Did not vote as the poll is very limited.
 
Good to see the poll numbers. I just built a sandy bridge system. Waiting on my xfx 850 XXX and MSI r6950Twin frozr III 2gb to get here hopefully on wednesday and I saw the SB-E and was a little "worried" about me jumping into intel so soon but I am very happy with sandy bridge so I am definitely staying with my 25k.
 
Im one of those Yes votes because I justify the need for POWER. I am going to be Super Saiyan level 5 FTW with my 2011 pins on my mobo.

See whats even better is that I have both. I will have a 2500K and a 3930K.
 
If your currently a 2600k owner I don't know why you would. Only benches I have seen, were on Tom's in that preview they did. it didn't look like it warranted an upgrade (over a 2600k), unless of course you are using all 6 cores.

Right now I'm running a q9550.... its long over due for an upgrade lol. I'll be hanging on for Ivy I think. Its a brand new architecture so I will wait for benches before jumping.
 
People upgrade from SB to IB just to have peace of mind in having the latest and greatest.
 
Honestly I couldn't justify buying so expensive CPU and even if i had 700$ for spending on hardware it would go towards a pair of gtx 570 or those new radeon 7850 90W parts which are supposed to match 6950 performance.
 
umm, yeah, so was I!

SB is the new arch. IB isn't.

Ummm Sb has been out for several months.... I am not referring to SB in that post I'm talking about Ivy. "I'll be hanging on for Ivy, its (ivy) will be a brand new architecture so I will wait on benches before jumping "

hmmm... Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 may work in some of these current z68 p67 boards. Given it has UEFI and and support the ME8L update. I'm wondering if the same would apply to x79, assuming Intel doesn't change the socket.
 
Obviously IB is the new architecture, SB-E is just more cores of SB and more cache.

If Intel went Ivy LGA2011 in March/April with all the pcie3/usb3/sata kinks out I would eat it up.
 
Waiting to see how Windows 8 effects all cpus.
 
Obviously IB is the new architecture, SB-E is just more cores of SB and more cache.

If Intel went Ivy LGA2011 in March/April with all the pcie3/usb3/sata kinks out I would eat it up.

Ivy Bridge isn't a new architecture. The only major difference between Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge is the process. Ivy Bridge is Sandy Bridge on 22nm instead of 32nm. The next new arch coming from Intel is Haswell actually. All apart of the Tick Tock strategy Intel uses.

Like Yorkfield (Tick) -> Nehalem (Tock) -> Westmere (Tick) -> Sandy Bridge (Tock) -> Ivy Bridge (Tick) and so on.
 
I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge.

I have an aging Core 2 Duo E8600 that plays what few games I have well enough that I can't be bothered to upgrade before then.
 
Ummm Sb has been out for several months.... I am not referring to SB in that post I'm talking about Ivy. "I'll be hanging on for Ivy, its (ivy) will be a brand new architecture so I will wait on benches before jumping "

Obviously IB is the new architecture, SB-E is just more cores of SB and more cache.



You guys have been here five and six years and you can't figure this out?

I understand that not everyone can keep up on everything but you could at least do a simple search and find out the correct answer.


SB is the "new" architecture. The next one will be Haswell. IB will not be a new arch.
 
Sticking with Sandy Bridge. No question.

The fact that I would need a new MB for SB-E is one reason.
 
You guys have been here five and six years and you can't figure this out?

I understand that not everyone can keep up on everything but you could at least do a simple search and find out the correct answer.


SB is the "new" architecture. The next one will be Haswell. IB will not be a new arch.

sigh I don't remember SB totally remaking the transistor. To say Ivy is a mere die shrink is not giving Intel the deserved credit.

edit maybe new arch. is not the correct term, however since they are making big changes to the processor ill be approaching it as such. :)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top