SAS controller here in 2020?

Freak1

Limp Gawd
Hello.

Moving my server to new hardware, my LSI controller is running on 8+ years and i'm considering using the old server and LSI card for a backup server and getting a new card. But what cards are recommended now? Harddiskes are 10x 12TB Seagate exos X16 running Drivepool with Snapraid in windows 10, if that matters.

Honestly, you don't need much more than what you probably already have. The Dell Perc H330 is a LSI 3008 based card, but you could probably get by with a LSI 2008 card and they are plentiful. I sold my 9211-8i, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I had a system like that.

With 10 drives though, I'm assuming you have a 16i card or an expander of some sort.

I run a pair of h330 cards. It is overkill, but another card was cheaper than an expander. For the cost, the future proofing of not having to take the server apart anytime soon is worth the 80$ for an h330.

What is your OS and filesystem? Do you need/anticipate the need for hardware RAID? Are you just running spinning rust or are you planning to add SSD's to the mix?

Honestly, you don't need much more than what you probably already have. The Dell Perc H330 is a LSI 3008 based card, but you could probably get by with a LSI 2008 card and they are plentiful. I sold my 9211-8i, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I had a system like that.

With 10 drives though, I'm assuming you have a 16i card or an expander of some sort.

I agree with this. a 9211-8i will serve you just fine. No real need to get a "better" card.

the 9207-8i is solid and semi future proofed, you could use that with quite a few SSD, or a whole swath of HDD with an expander

Back