Sapphire wants to replace my X1900XT with a X1950Pro

ive not had a single HDD go bad on me......strange....ive got drives that are from 1 to 10 years old roughly and they all still work....

Thats why i said its all about luck. I was in the same boat as you up until last year i never had a bad drive before.

Then last year my seagate 7200.7 (If i remember right) drive died out of nowhere just stopped being recognized so i RMA'd it and the replacement had a high pitched whine to it, RMA'd it again and sold the replacement to a friend. So i replaced it with a hitachi deskstar and 2 months later it started randomly clicking and would lock up my computer until it was done with its temper tantrum. RMA'd that one and here i am 6 months later and the new one is starting to click again except this time its just a backup drive and is not locking up my system i just cant access it while its clicking.

Just saw the thread you have over at the Sapphire forums; those guys are a bunch of assholes :eek:

Anyhow congratulations on the new video card :D

I was think that I wish I hadn't bought that Sapphire 3870...maybe I'm still think that. Happy to hear was resolved.

P.S.-I took a look at the Sapphire forums and that mod is a jerk, god...heaven help me if I need support from the Sapphire Forums the 3870. On the plus side I can always count on the hardforum for answers and help.

i gotta say when it coems to hard drives, I don't think (other than their 20GB drives) I've had a western digital that HASN'T died on me. Lets see.

I know my uncles had at least 2 of them go, and he lost data both times.
my moms on her 3rd hard drives. I made sure I got her a seagate after the 2nd WD.
my one sisters 20GB western digital used to do this wierd thing where it would stop taking power (no the psu was fine). the whole drive would stop and the system would halt. you had to cold start it to make it run again.

seagate i've had great luck with. 2 250 GB sata drives i just bought, working great.
a near like, idk 6 year old, seagate 40GB just keeps on chugging. that thing will not die.
surprisingly, I ahve an 80GB IBM hard drive I pulled from an 8 year old system (which was 2 years ago) still works great as my backup IDE hard drive!

Hey People,

I finally got a working hard drive...SATA. It's my first SATA drive. It was a cinch to set up. The other one--the one that is failing--is slower than Sapphire Technologies replacing a Radeon under warranty. :D My guess is the cache is FUBAR, although when I gently turned it from side to side and upside down, there was a mysterious clicking sound. :confused: Something came loose, but the drive doesn't act like it literally crashed. Whatever. It's on its last legs. I'm zeroing it out on another system I'm building in the back room, hoping it won't take over a month to do a low-level format. I know the HD companies don't bother looking at your stuff. I just feel more secure sending a securely-erased drive.

Anyway, the working drive allowed me to install the X1950XT and by golly-gee-willakers, IT WOIKS!!! :eek: How about that. No artifacts and my system didn't blow up when I turned it on. ;) I'm thankful that I got a reasonable replacement that works and I hope it lasts longer than my last video card.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get a working replacement. I'm getting me some HL2: Episode 2 luvin'. It's weird to be playing something besides old emulators. :)

Catch me around. ;)

Hey People,

I finally got a working hard drive...SATA. It's my first SATA drive. It was a cinch to set up. The other one--the one that is failing--is slower than Sapphire Technologies replacing a Radeon under warranty. :D My guess is the cache is FUBAR, although when I gently turned it from side to side and upside down, there was a mysterious clicking sound. :confused: Something came loose, but the drive doesn't act like it literally crashed. Whatever. It's on its last legs. I'm zeroing it out on another system I'm building in the back room, hoping it won't take over a month to do a low-level format. I know the HD companies don't bother looking at your stuff. I just feel more secure sending a securely-erased drive.

Anyway, the working drive allowed me to install the X1950XT and by golly-gee-willakers, IT WOIKS!!! :eek: How about that. No artifacts and my system didn't blow up when I turned it on. ;) I'm thankful that I got a reasonable replacement that works and I hope it lasts longer than my last video card.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get a working replacement. I'm getting me some HL2: Episode 2 luvin'. It's weird to be playing something besides old emulators. :)

Catch me around. ;)

Awesome! HL2 Ep2 is a sad game (especially the ending but I'm not spoiling it for you).. I just beat it and I could say it's quite different from Episode 1 but still very good though.

Wonder if there's anything happening to Gr33nGecko? If Sapphire quietly disposes of that dysfunctional moderator in one way or the other, I'd like to be the first to know!!! :D Better Sapphire workers, and better customer svc for us, FTW!

i gotta say when it coems to hard drives, I don't think (other than their 20GB drives) I've had a western digital that HASN'T died on me. Lets see.

I know my uncles had at least 2 of them go, and he lost data both times.
my moms on her 3rd hard drives. I made sure I got her a seagate after the 2nd WD.
my one sisters 20GB western digital used to do this wierd thing where it would stop taking power (no the psu was fine). the whole drive would stop and the system would halt. you had to cold start it to make it run again.

seagate i've had great luck with. 2 250 GB sata drives i just bought, working great.
a near like, idk 6 year old, seagate 40GB just keeps on chugging. that thing will not die.
surprisingly, I ahve an 80GB IBM hard drive I pulled from an 8 year old system (which was 2 years ago) still works great as my backup IDE hard drive!

funny.. I have exactly the opposite experience as you, I was good with Seagate drives until I went through RMA'ing two 500gb 7200.9's 3 times each, and then getting rid of them because they just ticked and whirred like crazy.

I went WD and can't hear a thing and they're awesome, two 500's and a 750, all WD.

funny.. I have exactly the opposite experience as you, I was good with Seagate drives until I went through RMA'ing two 500gb 7200.9's 3 times each, and then getting rid of them because they just ticked and whirred like crazy.

I went WD and can't hear a thing and they're awesome, two 500's and a 750, all WD.

True but then you will meet people like me who rmaed a single WD800JB over 9 times before I got one that worked, and its starting to die now :p

10 years ago is the last time I had a problem with WD drives and I use them almost exclusively for PC builds now.
Thats 100's of drives and zero returns!

I have managed to hurt a 100GB drive by running it with no cooling which damaged the bearing.
It still works but is a bit noisy so I use it for offline storage.

WD rock!
(IMHO :))

10 years ago is the last time I had a problem with WD drives and I use them almost exclusively for PC builds now.
Thats 100's of drives and zero returns!

I have managed to hurt a 100GB drive by running it with no cooling which damaged the bearing.
It still works but is a bit noisy so I use it for offline storage.

WD rock!
(IMHO :))

I've had the same stellar experience with Seagate. I have had tons of problems with Maxtor drives (but then again, who hasn't ;)) and even a few WD's back in the 90's, but never an issue with said brand.

Well, after reading this thread, if I buy a 38x0 it won't be Sapphire, that's for sure.

Awesome! HL2 Ep2 is a sad game (especially the ending but I'm not spoiling it for you)..

Not Alyx!!!!!

I haven't reached the end, but I don't want to lose Alyx. I'm totally hetero, but when you're playing as a guy, it's hard not to notice she's kind of cute. I guess I'm seeing through Gordon's eyes or something...
image051.gif

Anyway, the problem-solving is more involved than in the original game or Episode I, which I rather like. I never did figure out how to get the supplies in that one building. Alyx started whining about needing to go, so I left. :)

Ok, After reading this post and NOT being just a consumer, but a reseller of electronics...

I have a few things to say.

First off, this person is the ONLY one who posts NON-STOP in all forums. I was amazed. I have been using search engines to find out sapphire customer service. I keep seeing page after page of horror stories.

Then I noticed something. It is only HER horror story. Can anyone fathom how many customers a company like Sapphire Tech. has handled since ATI allowed them to make cards? I cannot. Several hundred thousand? At least. Over a million? Probably so. They also make some of the best, most featured motherboards that people love.... look for their other products and the reviews of them. Intriguing, yes?

So, I spent a half hour just now looking for any glimpse of reactions or whatever to Sapphire customer service. Nothing really to be seen. I noticed though that the x19xx version this person had is no longer made and has not been made in many many months. x1950 pro's are not being made either it seems. (stocks dying on sites with no refills, certain brands not even carried, 512 versions gone, xt versions gone, etc.)

A full replacement in the reselling business is really rare. She was upgraded. It might not work as well, but it is the equal version of it currently.

The person on forums was rude. A "rep" for a business is a politically correct term for Peon. It is the ultimate lowest position. Cleaning crews make more money and have more respect. Rep's never rep the business ever. Otherwise they would be called PR managers or CEO's. If someone at BMW takes a bat to your window, does that mean you should buy a hyundai? i just dont get it. Am I missing something in all of this? Please explain before I buy.

1-3 instances out of millions is just bad math to me.

A full replacement in the reselling business is really rare. She was upgraded. It might not work as well, but it is the equal version of it currently.
Initially, they were offering a card that was a downgrade. It became an issue and it later was an upgrade. I would have been upset too if I was offered a card that was not an equivalent to what I had RMAed.

Fact remains for me that I will not touch their cards.

i just remembered thats sapphire once offered me those select DVDS's they had available cause I called asking if they came with the X850 Pro I bought. The dude son the phone says yeah I'll send you one once you send me the reciept.

i send the reciept, they send me the DVDS's.

then i find out the DVDS's they gave me were BETAS! They had 2 games on them each (mind you they were the SAME GAMES on both cds), and neither of the codes worked. as a matter of fact, I could not find a way that the cd could extract a full game because all I found was demo files.

Am I missing something in all of this? Please explain before I buy.
What I've told people lately: Sapphire makes a good card - but if you buy one and it breaks, don't expect a quick turn around on your replacement. And if you are as lucky as me - perhaps they will send you a bad card, and after you send THAT back to them and they turn around and send you the same exact one back to you - prepare for a lengthy battle with some asshole named Tony, who may eventually make you suffer for a month longer until he finally sends you a working card, with the caveat of "if this one doesn't work, you'll have to sell it on ebay as we won't send you another one..." This is the SOLE reason I currently use an EVGA 8800 GTS.

as a silent running computer enthusiast, the 38xx series is the best.

8800GT is really nice for many reasons, but it idles at about 35 watts more. If you disregard one bench place, the others put the 3870 as cooler on load in dx10 games. Load is less of an issue though for a 24/7 computer that also plays hd movies.

35 watts+ is a lot in truly near silent system (one fan on rear blowing at 5volts, no psu fan no other moving parts but a suspended harddrive recommended by silentpcreview.com...)

so, 8800gt offers a middle road for silence but not dead silent passive ability using an aftermarket cooler.

The customer service does sound crappy. Visiontek offers a larger warranty however, they do not have to honour it either. no one does unless you sue them.

well. so i have to go for an ati solution, the 3870 seems best of all worlds.

finding one in stock is difficult. i see a decently priced Sapphire one. shrugs?

UPDATE:

I just called the tech line for sapphire. Instantly picked up. Nice guy, polite, happy. I asked him about recommendations of retailers and he said newegg was the most friendly to their rma's. I asked about whether certain "etailers" were authorized, the ones I asked about were. He was really nice. I cannot see how they are unpleasant. No other company i have called was as nice as them so far besides Thermalright, they are number one, number two is Zalman and now this one. I know i havent hit an issue with them yet :) but... most companies have huge hold times, various "levels" of help, etc. The old ATI company was the worst. they dodged any call possible and took really long to get back to you with form letters when they did.

shrugs?

anyone ever see good service from ATI AIB's in general?

Well, Visiontek offers a lifetime warranty while Sapphire offers only 2 years. Plus Sapphire is really based in Taiwan ( I think) and has it RMA stuff handled by Althon Micro here in the States. That's where the problem lies.. Althon Micro might have horrible managers in the RMA department who do not work directly under Sapphire, so Sapphire cannot just fire them. It's up to Althon Micro--but with some kind of a binding contract with Sapphire, it seems that there is not very much they can do about those RMA issues.

Perhaps there are indeed some nice guys in the RMA department and you were lucky enough to talk to one. OR perhaps they straightened out their business ethics due to LadyHawk's publicized issue, and are nicer now? I dunno..:rolleyes:

A quick addendum: Seagate must not have had any 320 GB hard drives in stock because when I RMA'd my failing drive, I got back a 500 GB drive, no hassle and no questions asked.

Sapphire, you suck.

you had better luck with seagate then i did.

my first drive went bad in a couple of days, so i sent it in for a replacement. i sent them a 400gig Sata 7200.10, i get a 400gig Ultra ATA 7200.8 as my replacement. 2 months later i finally got a damned 400gig sata 7200.10. it took them forever to even find the right drive.

Ladyhawk,
Just curious to know if you think that the mod at Sapphire has recieved a warning by the admin. I posted a suggestion to for sapphire to get ATi's catalyst to show whether memory speeds shown were actual. rated, effective, or whatever, and the same mod got very personal, implied I took drugs and started having a go at my maths and english skills. I was hoping you might know who to complain to?

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/forums/showthread.php?t=17189

Ladyhawk,
Just curious to know if you think that the mod at Sapphire has recieved a warning by the admin. I posted a suggestion to for sapphire to get ATi's catalyst to show whether memory speeds shown were actual. rated, effective, or whatever, and the same mod got very personal, implied I took drugs and started having a go at my maths and english skills. I was hoping you might know who to complain to?

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/forums/showthread.php?t=17189

I hope Sapphires mod gets slain, he deserves to lose his job.

Well I'm in the same boat...

My X1900XT started to distort and have lots of rendering errors.

I called and got the RMA started. They told me 2-4 weeks on the phone when I gave them all of my information including the card model #.

Then a week after I mailed them my card I asked how long it'll take.... they responded back with
Please note our regular RMA turn around
time is 2-4 weeks after we received your item, the "end of life" card will be taken longer
time, you're welcome to check the RMA status by sending us an e-mail to [email protected]

So responded and asked what their experience has been with RMA's of "discontinued" cards. And they cannot give me time frame. So I guess I'll just expect more than 4 weeks... But who knows...

I've never spent so much money on a piece of "high tech" technology to have such a low tech support system in place.

I mean how can you not be able to estimate turn around time on equipment you are constantly dealing with. It's not like my X1900XT is the only one they have received in the past month... give me a break.

Unfortunately the video card is for my workstation... it's not in a "gaming rig" so I'm really hosed, I work out of my house... to say this is aggravating doesn't quite cover it.

Normally I'd just buy another crossfire card to go with it; but I don't feel at all comfortable purchasing another sapphire product if this is how they "support" their customers...

They could save themselves a lot of typing by just emailing everyone "we received your card; sometime in the future you will get a card back; maybe"

Anyhoo... just thought I would share. If I get it back in a reasonable ammount of time I'll post about it...

This is the only RMA I have ever done where they didn't just simply cross ship the return... or have one ready to go after I submitted the RMA and they received/verified the problem.

Sapphire obviously is only in it "for the money" and does not care about how it's customers are treated after they have their money. Very sad indeed. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to expect anything other than a prompt replacement of equal value or greater if that particular part is no longer available. There should never be any discussion about it. It's really simple. Customer bought X card, it failed, they sent it in, we dont have X card, so send them Y card which is a little bit of an upgrade but hey, it's better than telling a customer, go screw yourself basically.:rolleyes:

Sapphire obviously is only in it "for the money" and does not care about how it's customers are treated after they have their money. Very sad indeed. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to expect anything other than a prompt replacement of equal value or greater if that particular part is no longer available. There should never be any discussion about it. It's really simple. Customer bought X card, it failed, they sent it in, we dont have X card, so send them Y card which is a little bit of an upgrade but hey, it's better than telling a customer, go screw yourself basically.:rolleyes:

All companies are in it for the money if you believe any company gives a shit about you as a person your sadly mistaken.

All companies are in it for the money if you believe any company gives a shit about you as a person your sadly mistaken.

Of course the purpose of a business is to make money, but many companies manage to do it while still providing a reasonable level of customer satisfaction. Sapphire just isn't one of them.

True, But if customer satisfaction goes up, So does word of mouth, And along with word of mouth comes more sales.

please man, dont insult me or anyone else here, we all know these are COMPANIES we are talking about, they would not exist if they did NOT make money, thats a given, but treating customers like this is NOT the way to get repeat business, it's simply wrong, making money by providing a superior product and service after the sale is COMPLETELY different than making money by providing an okay product or even a good product and then treating your paying customers, who keep you making money, like crap, like Sapphire does....

i worked in our own companies' service department for several years, and you could actually have a failing product, failing over and over, but if you serviced it promptly and treated the customer well and showed them you actually wanted to keep them happy, they would actually come back to buy another product that they know going into it will have issues, and i am talking about products that cost way more than a video card in a PC....

we actually had a client that bought a few of our units that had service out every month or more, and he would raise hell, and we would do our best to fix his issues and move on, and guess what, he kept on buying our products for years and still does, and the ONLY reason he did so is because we took such good care of him AFTER the sale, he knew we didnt want to turn a quick buck and leave him hanging, he appreciated that, he had several options in terms of competition that had products similar that did not break down as much, but the problem with them is when they DO break down they could stay broken for a week or longer.....and then they would sub out the service to a third party who has no real reason to make the customer happy, they get paid to do a job and could care less if the customer buys another one of their products (sounds like Athlon Micro now doesnt it ;) )...sometimes customers would stop buying ours and go with them, and then when they saw how they were treated after the sale, they quickly jumped back on board

people want to feel like they are being treated well, like a person, even if they truly know they are just another sale, but it's the perception that matters honestly, if i sell product to a client and once it is in they never hear from me again, they wont be back, you have to treat people right man, being a "company" to "make money" doesnt cut it

i could go on and on....but im hungry and theres a good BBQ place next door, so, gotta go for now

please man, dont insult me or anyone else here, we all know these are COMPANIES we are talking about, they would not exist if they did NOT make money, thats a given, but treating customers like this is NOT the way to get repeat business, it's simply wrong, making money by providing a superior product and service after the sale is COMPLETELY different than making money by providing an okay product or even a good product and then treating your paying customers, who keep you making money, like crap, like Sapphire does....

i worked in our own companies' service department for several years, and you could actually have a failing product, failing over and over, but if you serviced it promptly and treated the customer well and showed them you actually wanted to keep them happy, they would actually come back to buy another product that they know going into it will have issues, and i am talking about products that cost way more than a video card in a PC....

we actually had a client that bought a few of our units that had service out every month or more, and he would raise hell, and we would do our best to fix his issues and move on, and guess what, he kept on buying our products for years and still does, and the ONLY reason he did so is because we took such good care of him AFTER the sale, he knew we didnt want to turn a quick buck and leave him hanging, he appreciated that, he had several options in terms of competition that had products similar that did not break down as much, but the problem with them is when they DO break down they could stay broken for a week or longer.....and then they would sub out the service to a third party who has no real reason to make the customer happy, they get paid to do a job and could care less if the customer buys another one of their products (sounds like Athlon Micro now doesnt it ;) )...sometimes customers would stop buying ours and go with them, and then when they saw how they were treated after the sale, they quickly jumped back on board

people want to feel like they are being treated well, like a person, even if they truly know they are just another sale, but it's the perception that matters honestly, if i sell product to a client and once it is in they never hear from me again, they wont be back, you have to treat people right man, being a "company" to "make money" doesnt cut it

i could go on and on....but im hungry and theres a good BBQ place next door, so, gotta go for now

Im not insulting you or anyone, you act as if sapphire is somehow more "evil" than other comapnies and thats a crock of shit. The only thing different about this situation is the way the mod acted. Search the forums all the major companies have pulled the same types of shenanigans when replacing end of life products.

The fact is unfortunately this is a fairly isolated incident with the mod and how he treated sapphires customers but if you think this has even made a dent in thier sales your again mistaken. There used to be a time when customer service was the way to get return business but anymore people stopped caring and just about everyone in this thread would buy from sapphire if they where cheaper then their competitors as much as they would claim otherwise.

The fact is unfortunately this is a fairly isolated incident with the mod and how he treated sapphires customers but if you think this has even made a dent in thier sales your again mistaken. There used to be a time when customer service was the way to get return business but anymore people stopped caring and just about everyone in this thread would buy from sapphire if they where cheaper then their competitors as much as they would claim otherwise.

Did you even read the whole 16 pages of this topic, fuck no its not isolated, There were atleast 6-7 separate incidences, getting screwed over by the same sapphire RMA dept' and harassed by the same sapphire sponsored forum mods.

Now that ATi and sapphire are back in the game of selling high end video cards because of rv670 chip, the same problems with sapphire are going to start popping up again when people need to get RMAs, the problem hasn't been fixed.

Im not insulting you or anyone, you act as if sapphire is somehow more "evil" than other comapnies and thats a crock of shit. The only thing different about this situation is the way the mod acted. Search the forums all the major companies have pulled the same types of shenanigans when replacing end of life products.

Did you even read the whole 16 pages of this topic, fuck no its not isolated, There were atleast 6-7 separate incidences, getting screwed over by the same sapphire RMA dept' and harassed by the same sapphire sponsored forum mods.

Now that ATi and sapphire are back in the game of selling high end video cards because of rv670 chip, the same problems with sapphire are going to start popping up again when people need to get RMAs, the problem hasn't been fixed.

QFT....i suppose pfunkman was only responding to my post and did not read all of the other people in the various threads linked to here where the vast majority of people who have attempted to RMA a card to Sapphire got treated the same........

and no, you would not find EVGA or XFX or BFG treating their customers like that, or if you do that TRULY is an isolated incident

i can tell you this pfunkman, go start a poll yourself here asking of people if they have bought a EVGA, XFX, BFG, or Sapphire product and had to RMA, did they get an equal or upgraded part, and how much did those companies ask them to pay, and how were they treated and how quick was the turnaround....

i can already tell you the outcome, the vast majority of people who went through Sapphire, just like most of the responses in this thread, will tell you they got the shaft, but the vast majority of the other AIB partners experiences will be very positive with many "i got a free upgrade" remarks along with super fast turnaround times, even cross shipping accolades....!!

if you dont believe this, you are living in your own little Sapphire kingdom where everything is peaches and creme

The fact is unfortunately this is a fairly isolated incident with the mod and how he treated sapphires customers but if you think this has even made a dent in thier sales your again mistaken.

I know I had a choice between Sapphire and PowerColor and guess which one I picked? I will never buy a Sapphire product and I know a lot of other members here won't either.

When I RMA'd my X1900XTX, I think sapphire sent me back a rebadged X1900XT. It has the barcode of an X1900XTX and everything, but when I popped that heatsink off, it had the 1.2ns memory, I've never heard of any other XTX having this memory. Of course since the card worked at its rated speed (but nothing higher) I didn't really have a case.

I know I had a choice between Sapphire and PowerColor and guess which one I picked? I will never buy a Sapphire product and I know a lot of other members here won't either.
Agreed; from the CS perspective I still prefer nVidia's big three (eVGA, BFG, XFX), but I still look at ATI when they are compelling. But that's only because I've had to RMA directly with ATI several times, and have NEVER been disappointed. You can bet money that I won't be buying a Sapphire anytime in the future, unless I hear that they've turned around

Did you read my post at all? What i said was isolated was the way the mod treaded ladyhawk.

QFT....i suppose pfunkman was only responding to my post and did not read all of the other people in the various threads linked to here where the vast majority of people who have attempted to RMA a card to Sapphire got treated the same........

and no, you would not find EVGA or XFX or BFG treating their customers like that, or if you do that TRULY is an isolated incident

i can tell you this pfunkman, go start a poll yourself here asking of people if they have bought a EVGA, XFX, BFG, or Sapphire product and had to RMA, did they get an equal or upgraded part, and how much did those companies ask them to pay, and how were they treated and how quick was the turnaround....

i can already tell you the outcome, the vast majority of people who went through Sapphire, just like most of the responses in this thread, will tell you they got the shaft, but the vast majority of the other AIB partners experiences will be very positive with many "i got a free upgrade" remarks along with super fast turnaround times, even cross shipping accolades....!!

if you dont believe this, you are living in your own little Sapphire kingdom where everything is peaches and creme

As far as offering lesser cards for EOL RMA's all the companies do it search the forums.

I believe you wuold be more surprised at such a poll. While i would agree that sapphire is behind just about everyone else with thier policies and customer service what happened here is not uncommon for alot of companies. There are very few companies that will give out "free upgrades" or cross ship and even with these companies its not unheard of for someone to recieve a lesser card for an EOL RMA or get an offer to pay for a better card.

Did you read my post at all? What i said was isolated was the way the mod treaded ladyhawk.

Not true, I had a look around their forums a few times and saw similar behaviour from the same mod.
He needs replacing by someone who can add the 'care' to Customer Care.

Back