Sapphire HD7970

Its not easy at all.
You have to increase core voltage at 1.25 and memory voltage to 1.75 and of course the fan.
Yeap the more voltage does not deserve the performance gain.
With default voltage you can go 1125/1575 with fan control at auto.

so +80 mV on the core for 78 MHz, and +150 mV on the memory for 325 MHz. you're right the overclock gain does not warrant the voltage required. in your case i'd just leave it at 1125/1575.

so +80 mV on the core for 78 MHz, and +150 mV on the memory for 325 MHz. you're right the overclock gain does not warrant the voltage required. in your case i'd just leave it at 1125/1575.
You are right. :D
If you plan to watercool then it is ok.
And something about eyefinity 2.0

ccc2t.jpg

ccc1k.jpg

Pls dont ask about driver just see.

If this does 20x30x20 I'm so saving my pennies. Use my 2 20's for somthing other then work finnaly. :D Might have a use for 2 of these then.

You are right. :D
If you plan to watercool then it is ok.
And something about eyefinity 2.0

ccc2t.jpg

ccc1k.jpg

Pls dont ask about driver just see.

Great! custom resolution... on landscape monitors... with no indication of being able to rotate. Am I missing something here?

very nice. does 1.3V make you nervous at all? are you able to keep your temps in check?

from the Afterburner link:
"Added core voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON 7970 graphics cards with CHL8228 voltage regulators."

i'm hoping all reference cards will come with these voltage regulators and will work in Afterburner.

very nice. does 1.3V make you nervous at all? are you able to keep your temps in check?

I tried with 1.3v and I had the same results as with 1.25v
This card does 1203/1900 with voltages core/mem at 1.25/1.75
After these clocks I have artifacts.

I tried with 1.3v and I had the same results as with 1.25v
This card does 1203/1900 with voltages core/mem at 1.25/1.75
After these clocks I have artifacts.

Good to know. thanks!

The card can do 935/1375 with minimum voltage from gpu tweak.

uniginemama.jpg

For those dont want to do flash bios and play with voltage but only with ccc limits there exist this solution.
Download this http://www.mediafire.com/?t2lt36eiulfy197
Install it and go Settings -> Tuning -> Advanced Mode choose Overclocking range enchancement and hit apply.
Thats all.
If you want you can uninstall the utility and of course the limits will be open.

ccclimits.jpg

cccuf.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info. This is a great thread.

Getting super-excited for my first 7970 and plan to add the Eyefinity 6 edition later (for 3xDP).

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info. This is a great thread.

Getting super-excited for my first 7970 and plan to add the Eyefinity 6 edition later (for 3xDP).

Depends on Nvidia movement this is the next step for ATI.

1100/1450
unigine7990.jpg

What would be the best program to lower the voltage as much as possible? I want to get the 7970 and clock it low to reduce power consumption/heat/etc. Ideally, 90% (ish) of stock performance with less than 90% of the power draw if I get a good chip.

What would be the best program to lower the voltage as much as possible? I want to get the 7970 and clock it low to reduce power consumption/heat/etc. Ideally, 90% (ish) of stock performance with less than 90% of the power draw if I get a good chip.

Cant. Tell. If. Trolling.

Cant. Tell. If. Trolling.

Nope. With my monitor size (1920x1080) this card won't be challenged but I will eventually do Eyefinity. Until then, I'm building my entire system around maximizing performance per watt. Since zpaf was able to lower voltage to 1.099, I was wondering if other programs could go lower.

Ideally without flashing an ASUS bios onto the thing.

Nope. With my monitor size (1920x1080) this card won't be challenged but I will eventually do Eyefinity. Until then, I'm building my entire system around maximizing performance per watt. Since zpaf was able to lower voltage to 1.099, I was wondering if other programs could go lower.

Ideally without flashing an ASUS bios onto the thing.

7970 for 1080p is uber overkill imo unless youre going to go eyefinity wery soon

The card has 579 euro here in Greece.
I ordered by phone here http://www.plaisio.gr/

Sorry I am committed.

These two posts contradict each other. If you bought a €580 card with your own money, then why aren't you telling people the info they want to know? You missed the "BenchZone" tag in one of your pics. Why don't you post as yourself, "BenchZowner", and tell people that you bench/review hardware? I guess it makes you feel better to hide behind a fake identity and lie.

These two posts contradict each other. If you bought a €580 card with your own money, then why aren't you telling people the info they want to know? You missed the "BenchZone" tag in one of your pics. Why don't you post as yourself, "BenchZowner", and tell people that you bench/review hardware? I guess it makes you feel better to hide behind a fake identity and lie.

You are confuse my friend.
This "Sorry I am committed" go for drivers.
And if you want me to be more specific look at these thread first.
http://www.thelab.gr/kartes-grafikon/sapphire-hd7970-protes-entyposeis-metriseis-103617.html
A greek forum with people bought that card from the same store 28-12-11.

lol I got four 470's I bought from eBay and eVGA B-Stock. :D Up until these cards were released, I used to find this 600 to 900 Mhz max out 470 impressive. Now that those things get well over a Ghz, a pair of them fuck over all my 470's. I never got any free hardware in my lifetime. This is the best one out of the bunch...

Temp699559.jpg

This "Sorry I am committed" go for drivers.

What do you mean by committed? I don't think that's the right word here. Are you under an NDA or something?

Or are you in a mental institution? ;)

For those dont want to do flash bios and play with voltage but only with ccc limits there exist this solution.
Download this http://www.mediafire.com/?t2lt36eiulfy197
Install it and go Settings -> Tuning -> Advanced Mode choose Overclocking range enchancement and hit apply.
Thats all.
If you want you can uninstall the utility and of course the limits will be open.

ccclimits.jpg

cccuf.jpg

This is just a nice looking ASUS Smart Doctor.
I've used it before with varying results.
Generally it WILL work with a single GPU, but it will crash the system if you try to use it with Crossfire.
It has to be re-run every time you change drivers as well.:eek:

So what's the simple solution to overclocking in Crossfire? I've got 2 of these Sapphire's on the way that I want to slap around and make them do my bidding.

So what's the simple solution to overclocking in Crossfire? I've got 2 of these Sapphire's on the way that I want to slap around and make them do my bidding.

You should be able to easily OC your cards using AMD Overdrive, and it will work, but the limits are puney.

You can try Afterburner, but my experience is poor there too. It doesn't work well in Crossfire, generally crashing the system.

I'd try Sapphire Trixx, the only problem there I've found is you have to reset the parameters with each start-up or if you go out of the game and come back in you have to restart.

If your Sapphire has a dual BIOS, the write BIOS may be able to be flashed with higher values, it was with my 6950.......that would be the ticket right there.:D

sapphire released a new version of trixx yesterday

perhaps they fixed the resetting issues, i had that problem as well.

You should be able to easily OC your cards using AMD Overdrive, and it will work, but the limits are puney.

You can try Afterburner, but my experience is poor there too. It doesn't work well in Crossfire, generally crashing the system.

I'd try Sapphire Trixx, the only problem there I've found is you have to reset the parameters with each start-up or if you go out of the game and come back in you have to restart.

If your Sapphire has a dual BIOS, the write BIOS may be able to be flashed with higher values, it was with my 6950.......that would be the ticket right there.:D

Appreciate the input. This will be my first time running dual cards on the AMD side. (and first AMD card since the x1800 series). I've been running Nvidia SLI for years so I'm hoping AMD at least gives me a similar experience. I honestly had great experiences running SLI and really had to think long and hard before taking the plunge back to AMD.

May I ask why exactly you're "committed" to someone or something? Aren't you one of those guys that shell out €600 for their cards from their own pocket?

You're new here, huh? You do realize there's a such thing as an "NDA" even if you're not an employee of a hardware company, sometimes, for testing/being given early due to notoriety/etc. drivers/cards/anything, right? Right? (crickets) Yeah, thought not.

You're new here, huh? You do realize there's a such thing as an "NDA" even if you're not an employee of a hardware company, sometimes, for testing/being given early due to notoriety/etc. drivers/cards/anything, right? Right? (crickets) Yeah, thought not.

Yes, I do realize there's such thing as "NDA", however you can't seem to read all my posts before replying. Or can read but can't understand, then try a cheap attack.

The guy bought the card with his own damn money. If he was going to get under an NDA, he would have gotten an ES card, which PCPartner (Sapphire) readies 3 months till the release. You don't know or understand anything about this subject. So I suggest you to move on.

Yes, I do realize there's such thing as "NDA", however you can't seem to read all my posts before replying. Or can read but can't understand, then try a cheap attack.

The guy bought the card with his own damn money. If he was going to get under an NDA, he would have gotten an ES card, which PCPartner (Sapphire) readies 3 months till the release. You don't know or understand anything about this subject. So I suggest you to move on.

No, he wouldn't be necessarily, but since you seem interested in only arguing, I'll stop feeding you sir.

P.S. Drivers are not the same thing as an actual card. :p

7970 for 1080p is uber overkill imo unless youre going to go eyefinity wery soon

It'll be in about six months or so. That's why, until then, I'd like to get the power draw as low as possible from the 7970 just as a challenge.

That's why I was asking if people have any experience undervolting it beyond what zpaf did. :)

NOT true at all.
ESPECIALLY if you are using a 120 hz LCD.
Case in point:

On sacred 2 main menu, on my HD 6970, at *1024x768* and 4x AA, I got 104 FPS.
On HD 7970, I got 168 FPS at max CCC speeds (also 1024x768). <--154 FPS, didn't have AF enabled...:/

This is just at 1024x768 (yes I'm on a CRT, but I have a Samsung 2233rz on the floor).
So obviously, higher resolutions are going to get hammered.

I do ALL of my gaming at 1024x768 and max AA and a 2600k cpu, and even Battlefield 3 drops into the 60's sometimes. (haven't tested with my 7970 yet, just finished installing it and after testing Sacred 2 main menu (Very shader heavy), busy running Vantage).

And in COD Black Ops, at 1024x768 on my 6970, with supersampling AA enabled, a few maps drop down into the 60's (making aiming too hard) around trees, and even just adaptive AA can cause fps drop on those maps into 80's. So yeah, a 7970 can benefit even at lower resolutions (haven't tested with 7970 yet)

Ok, just tested BF3. Noticeable FPS improvement, not massive, hard to tell what parts are CPU or video limited. I'll have to overclock to 5 ghz to see for sure. I do know the game is playable at 1600x1200 resolution, 4x AA, although the FPS is only around 60'ish on caspian border, and while that's great for a casual player, it's not good for a competitive player, as your aiming ability goes way down when the FPS drops. That's why pro gamers need 100+ FPS at all times...the slighest bit of unsmoothness can make the difference between you landing a kill and dying, although admittedly that's not as much of a big issue in BF3 as in games like COD.

Last edited:
Back