• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sandybridge Mobo setback

J

Jagga

Guest
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I hope I havn't posted in the wrong section, my question/post was basically about motherboards anyway.

I was totally unaware about this motherboard recall and yesterday when I was browsing UK internet vendors selling the 2600k i7, I realised that they didn't stock it. Which lead me to google "no stock for i7 2600k"? As you do :p and I came across this. I managed to find stock at some random vendor and i'm glad I didn't go through with it.

Also would like to thank for the knowledge I have gained from this forum in particular.

Anyway, Now what? I want to build a new rig though in the next few weeks etc as my current pc (mainly gpu) is DYING and flashing all over the place. So my understand is that it's best to wait for the Z67 chipset since H67/P67 Mobos manafactured between Jan 9 and Feb 31 have faulty Sata 2.0 Ports.

Is this the correct way of thinking? Since i'm kind of weary for waiting for the new revised P67 boards since i'm scared some vendors MIGHT still stock the faulty versions of the chipsets.

If someone could shed some light on my tiny but money spending dilemma, I'd be greatful!


Also here is a link to the current setup of my rig i'm planning on getting : Will be using it for hardcore gaming really and perhaps some streaming aswell.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?hl=en&key=tDmnpGm3cZMyNkkVLZns_kQ&authkey=CLm6uPIM&hl=en#gid=0

As you can see the current list has the asus P8P67 mobo which I obviously can't buy.

Jagga
 
The H67/P67 issue is in my opinion relatively minor. According to press releases and information from Intel engineers posted on various tech sites, the issue is only with SATA II (3Gb/s) ports. There is a roughly 5% chance that the ports will fail after about 3 years of use. It does not cause data corruption, the ports may eventually stop working and your drives won't be detected. The chance of failure goes up if you run at increased chipset voltages or temperatures. A lot of people are freaking out like their computers just caught fire, when as far as I know no end users has even experienced this problem.

As far as waiting for Z68, I haven't seen too much information on the new chipset yet. The only differences over H67/P67 that I've see are:
1) Ability to OC K-series CPUs while using integrated graphics (great for crunchers, 2D benchmark rigs)
2) Something called SSD cache which from what I understand uses new Intel RST drivers to automatically determine if it should write something to your SSD or conventional HD. Sounds intriguing, but may be implemented on H67/P67 with just a driver update.

I don't have a problem with buying a revised P67 board, revisions should be pretty clear on the board or chipset itself so you don't have to worry about getting an potentially faulty board. Really the thing that pisses me off most about this issue is that I have to wait another 2 months to get an Asus Maximus IV...
 
Ah well, atleast i'm not alone. Also thank you for your quick reply, really appreciate it.

So I hope that my brain does have enough understanding when these revised boards come out to recognise them. I'm sure they will have different model #'s or whatever and as long as I buy them from a respected retailer I won't get scammed or anything.

Thanks!
 
Based on what I have seen, the Z68 rumors don't get me very excited. There are indeed issues with the P68 chip and the Z68 really does not address them. To me the main one is the limited number of PCIe lanes. Minor ones like lack of USB-3 and full SATA-3 / 6 G support also are not addressed.

Building an overclock rig with integrated graphics just does not sound all that much fun. Maybe I'm just not looking at it right.
 
Based on what I have seen, the Z68 rumors don't get me very excited. There are indeed issues with the P68 chip and the Z68 really does not address them. To me the main one is the limited number of PCIe lanes. Minor ones like lack of USB-3 and full SATA-3 / 6 G support also are not addressed.

You realize that these are the mainstream parts, right? As in the replacement for socket 1156, which wasn't boasting loads of pci-e lanes either. If you want more lanes you need to go higher end which would be socket 1366 or the upcoming 2011.
 
Based on what I have seen, the Z68 rumors don't get me very excited. There are indeed issues with the P68 chip and the Z68 really does not address them. To me the main one is the limited number of PCIe lanes. Minor ones like lack of USB-3 and full SATA-3 / 6 G support also are not addressed.

Building an overclock rig with integrated graphics just does not sound all that much fun. Maybe I'm just not looking at it right.

a) wait for 2011

USB-3: most mobo manufacturers add it to their boards aftermarket

Full Sata-6: you have at least 2 SATA-6 ports. some boards have the Marvell controller which adds 2-4 more sata-6 ports
 
You realize that these are the mainstream parts, right? As in the replacement for socket 1156, which wasn't boasting loads of pci-e lanes either. If you want more lanes you need to go higher end which would be socket 1366 or the upcoming 2011.

Yes indeed they are "middle of the road" parts. All I'm saying is that the Z series also is in the same area without turning the high end into the "new middle". If they were doing that, then indeed it woud be well worth waiting for them.
 
Agreed. It is suppose to only affect a small fraction of users.

The number of end users (out of only 100,000 out here) impacted before the replacements come out may be zero. Ultimately, over a 5 or 10 year "life" and millions of boards, a lot of people might have been affected had it not been caught.

At least compared to my checking account, a billion dollars in six or so months (two quarters) is a pretty big chunk of change. Even for Intel it's about 5% of sales over those two quarters. Carry off 5% of my paycheck and I'd certainly not be to happy ...
 
It just sucks cuz I really was about to make the purchase and it was pulled off market. I mean for those who bought it will get a new board! They got lucky.
 
we'll have stuff by the end of the month best case and middle of the next month worse case
 
I just got mine tuesday and considered refusing the package. Glad I didn't. I love this thing. 4.8 GHz @ 1.34v water cooled.

the mobo swap ain't a big deal. But this thing smokes my 860 @ 4.2. Glad I upgraded it was worth it.
 
Between this minor(IMO) issue and the i7-2600k being overkill for my needs (MS office, internet, gaming), I decided to switch back to my 1090t/Crosshair IV combo and sell this SB stuff to a friend who was wanting to upgrade but can't due to them halting sales.
 
I'd be suprised if it was that long as it's not like they have to redo all their SB designed MBs it's a simple chip revision......

Intel's first new batch of the revised chips does not ship until the end of February. You have to then factor in transit times, installation into the motherboards, and transit times to vendors. Likewise how will initial supply be allotted? Right now it seems they will be given to OEMs first priority.
 
Intel's first new batch of the revised chips does not ship until the end of February. You have to then factor in transit times, installation into the motherboards, and transit times to vendors. Likewise how will initial supply be allotted? Right now it seems they will be given to OEMs first priority.

Some estimates say you won't be able to get a B3 stepping SB mainboard until April. Well I guess my 775 will have to just chug along a a bit longer. ;)
 
Intel's first new batch of the revised chips does not ship until the end of February. You have to then factor in transit times, installation into the motherboards, and transit times to vendors. Likewise how will initial supply be allotted? Right now it seems they will be given to OEMs first priority.

Intel isn't stupid, they will make allocations avaliable for for people selling retail boards as well so that they can get product out and deal with possible rma issues
 
Hardly expect that the B3 stepping start shipping in limited quantities. Intel needs to get as many out as quickly as possible because right now their Sandy Bridge sales are on hold. They will want to change this ASAP.
Posted via Mobile Device
 
i was hoping for a ramp up late feb with a march re-release from mobo manufacturers..
they need to get these out before amd pulls a card out, or people lose interest from waiting.
 
Back
Top