Samsung XL2370

this monitor is sweet I love it more and more every day the only thing that confuses me is I got mine around the holidays and have the original XL2370 while the ones being sold now are XL2370-1. I wonder what the difference is?

I don't think there is a difference, I have the xl2370-1 from amazon, but it just came in the same box as the xl2370 with a sticker (with the bar code and stuff) that says xl2370-1.

yeah maybe they had to change it for marketing reasons or something. I hope so anyway would suck if there is something wrong with the original they changed.

This monitor just came out and it's already back ordered here in canada. wtf!! My local futureshop won't be getting any for atleast a month! Does anybody know what's so difficult about producing these monitors? Are LEDs in short supply or what? It's very frustrating that this monitor finally gets released here and they can't even manage to keep it in stock.

I bought the xl2370 and ended up returning. The colors are great on this monitor but it still suffers from poor viewing angles. I bought a ea231wmi. It is a great monitor. Colors are good and the viewing angles are much better. I didn't notice bad white glow as is common on these eIPS panels.

I ended up selling it cause I needed the cash for an emergency. I have since bought a 2209wa which I am happy with for the price, although I wish I still had the ea231wmi.

Can you elaborate a little on the viewing angles. Does it come into play when viewed head on? I know that my Dell S2309W was slightly darker on top even when viewed straight on.

Also is there anything you prefer of the ea231wmi over the 2209wa other than the increased resolution? 2209wa is indeed a great monitor for the price but I can't get over the dullness of the colors when viewing movies and games especially coming from a glossy monitor.

I'm not sure if either is a worthwhile upgrade over the 2209wa. I wonder how long it will be still before we see an LED backlit IPS monitor?

LED backlight is just a marketing gimmick. The only positive effect it has is that the monitor "warms up" quicker from standby.

LED backlight is just a marketing gimmick. The only positive effect it has is that the monitor "warms up" quicker from standby.

Have you actually used this monitor in person?

Anyway, I bought this monitor a couple of days ago and I'm very happy with the results after some tweaking. Definitely is a step up over my 226BW which is now my office monitor; aka non-gaming. The brightness does hurt my eyes, though. Even after turning it down significantly. Also, the wobbling is a little obnoxious. I've tried tightening the screw to the point that I was concerned about damaging the base and it still wobbles a bit when typing. I've never experienced this before with any other monitor. Is there a McGuyver solution to this or should I just deal with it?

Can you elaborate a little on the viewing angles. Does it come into play when viewed head on? I know that my Dell S2309W was slightly darker on top even when viewed straight on.

Also is there anything you prefer of the ea231wmi over the 2209wa other than the increased resolution? 2209wa is indeed a great monitor for the price but I can't get over the dullness of the colors when viewing movies and games especially coming from a glossy monitor.

I'm not sure if either is a worthwhile upgrade over the 2209wa. I wonder how long it will be still before we see an LED backlit IPS monitor?

I had an IPS 2007wfp before I got the xl2370 so the viewing angles are definitely noticeable to me. If you are used to a tn panel then this monitor should be okay. To mo the most noticeable is the top to bottom viewing angle. Also for 300 I felt that it was a cheaply made monitor. The back plastic on it very cheap and flexes alot when handled to assemble. I also don't really like the glossy bezel. They seem to scratch easier, or least minor blemishes are alot more noticeable.

Of the dell or nec both are good. I like the higher resolution of the nec. Other than that they seem of similar quality to me. I prefer dell styling but that is just my taste. I have has alot of nec monitors over the years and all were great. Never had a problem with any of them.

Hi Guys,
Long-time reader, first-time poster here at HardForum. This has been a great discussion so far!

I bought the XL2370 in late December, and have been pleased with its performance so far...but does anyone know about scaling options with this monitor? For the life of me I couldn't find any valid information other than Samsung's vague marketinginformation.

I've got two machines: 1 as listed in my sig, and the other is an old Pentium 2 with Win95 to play DOS games :) My old monitor was a 20" CRT with dual VGA inputs and naturally, 4:3 aspect ratio. On the new monitor, I'd probably try to run the Win95 machine with my KVM switch for the peripherals and use the HDMI port with an HDMI to DVI converter followed by a DVI to VGA converter (messy I know)

Given that this monitor has a 16:9 aspect ratio, is it possible to do 1:1 scaling? I don't care so much about up-scaling, and would much rather prefer the black pillars/frame if I could do 1280x1024.

Any thoughts?

For the issue of XL2370 don't get into sleep mode after pc shutdown through HDMI port.

I just find a way to prevent it.
I bought a kind of power box, then plug in the PC and the XL230 monitor to this power box.
This power boxes has multiple power sockets and has special function.
The PC connect to the main power socket and XL2370 connect to another one of this box.

After PC shutdown, this box will auto detect the main socket's power is off, then also cut off another socket's power by itself.

From this way, I can power off the XL2370 with the PC same time, and don't need to turn XL2370 off manually.

I also post this way in another forum thread:

http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?p=1034821695

Last edited:

Sorry, no, more to it than that.

Cleaner whites and blacks, just to name the obvious one.

Sorry, no, more to it than that.

Cleaner whites and blacks, just to name the obvious one.

I really noticed how deep the black level is from reading [H]ard forums. Clarity when reading anything on the web is another thing that stands out.

If you are used to a tn panel then this monitor should be okay. To mo the most noticeable is the top to bottom viewing angle. Also for 300 I felt that it was a cheaply made monitor. The back plastic on it very cheap and flexes alot when handled to assemble. I also don't really like the glossy bezel. They seem to scratch easier, or least minor blemishes are alot more noticeable.

Viewing levels bad from top and bottom? Not unless I am standing over it or sitting on the floor, which I don't think ppl are doing. And quite honestly I never understood the debate over viewing angles. I sit in front as most users do. So whats the point of side or top view? If it were and LCD T.V., well of course that matters! But not so much on something looking straight on to.

Avail, try adjusting your gamma on the monitor or the Catalyst/Nvidia Control panel. That helped me as I know exactly what you are talking about. Whites seemed overbright.

Last edited:
Viewing levels bad from top and bottom? Not unless I am standing over it or sitting on the floor, which I don't think ppl are doing. And quite honestly I never understood the debate over viewing angles. I sit in front as most users do. So whats the point of side or top view? If it were and LCD T.V., well of course that matters! But not so much on something looking straight on to.

Avail, try adjusting your gamma on the monitor or the Catalyst/Nvidia Control panel. That helped me as I know exactly what you are talking about. Whites seemed overbright.

After using IPS monitors the viewing angles differences are very noticeable. Like I said if you are accustomed to TN panels then this should be no problem.

I'm used to IPS panels but I'll take the speed of a TN over the viewing angles over an IPS any day. It's a computer, I'm sitting front and center anyway.

After using IPS monitors the viewing angles differences are very noticeable. Like I said if you are accustomed to TN panels then this should be no problem.

Only panels I had before this one were the NEC 1765, then to Viewsonic 2025, then to the Sammy 244T. Don't think there was a TN in the bunch there bud. And yes I have played around with a U2410 my brother bought after I bought my 2370. At $300 cheaper, I don't see the point of the higher price premium on these IPS panels, specially sitting straight on from them. To each their own. Until there is a 120hz LED Backlit IPS panel, its all on the user and what they like.

True. It still kind of amazes me how people don't notice how much the viewing angles on a TN distort the picture even when when sitting front and center. That's the whole point of a wide viewing angles LCD in my view - to sit directly in front of a screen without colors shifting.

Can anyone here share their settings for use with with the xbox 360 only?

Im getting quite paranoid here tbh. Im mainly switching between the MagicColors options, and the Dynamic Contrast settings.
I also dont know if i have to use intermediate or expanded levels in the Reference level in the xbox menu.

Expanded gives me a little black crush.

Now im using reference levels : intermediate
And Dynamic Contrast settings, this seems to me to be the best... But im no expert. (This is all using HDMI)

Also, theres the pc/av mode. Im using pc mode because av mode seems to be missing a small part of the image on all 4 sides! very weird.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone...

I just bought my xl2370 the other day... everything was awesome,beautiful images, colors, etc. But, then after a couple hours, noticed these very very faint diagonal lines coming out from the bottom left. Basically one point is on the left side, and the other on the bottom, and it stretches for a good few inches... must be over 50 very very small lines. It became so annoying that i went back to best buy to look at the demo, and it was the same thing. I tried it on my 360 with the hdmi, same thing. Now, I seriously can't get over it, as I think its a flaw with the xl23270... I even bought the brand new LG e2350v, thats not even listed on LG's site yet and literally just came out a few days ago, and it doesn't have this line problem. Why not return the samsung then? Well, the LG, although strangely not listed anywhere on the documentation, cd, or box, supposedly has a 5ms response time, vs the 2ms of the samsung, also, some England review site (the only review I could find of the LG) says the lg is inferior in color, etc, to the samsung. And i agree.. The samsung has a lot more pop, and whiter whites. My only issue is these repeating lines.

Anyone else have this problem? I seriously cant get over it, and now I always see them because I know they're there. I can't find anything about this online, and the samsung reps *cough* idiots don't know anything either. Only thing that it could be is that not only my unit is defective, but also the one at best buy?

Lastly, I thought it had something to do with the vga-to-dvi cable, but as I stated, it still shows on the hdmi.

Any insight, help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you could post a picture that would be great. I don't see these lines on mine and need to see what you are talking about.

I just tried, but the camera can't pick it up... But basically, its making the corners look like there is literally textured lines, like a canvas or something, but very very fine. Like I said, now that I know they're there, I see them always, even if i pull back from the monitor another 2 feet. Im sitting roughly 24-30 inches right now from monitor, and I see them just fine. It's mostly on light colors... When its black, they go away. It almost reminds me of the stabilizer bars in flatscreen CRTs... Some sort of pattern the tiny tiny leds are laid out possibly? I've given up now for sure on the LG, it's back in the box ready to be returned. I just found out my build won't be ready for a few more weeks, so my plan(this hour) is to return both, and just pick up a new samsung when my build is ready. This way it'll rule out the possibility of both mine and best buys being defective. The joe-retail-guy at Best Buy didn't seem to see them, so this might mean I have better eye sight? I have no clue...

To see them, look straight into the center of the monitor. then, without moving the position of your head, just move your eyes to the bottom left(or right, or top lef, or top right but less noticeable) and you can see them. Also, have a browser or something open, with light colors maximized, Im on the google, empty home page. Besides that, i can even see them across my windows task bar.

Edit: if you move your head down to either corner, and look straight on, they disappear. Thats why I think its something to do with the viewing angle of this monitor if it isnt a defect.

Last edited:
I would go with the defect position. I give up. I tried an all white, blue, green, red, and orange and can't see these lines.

Is there any manufacturer out there that makes LED LCD at 30"? If so, what's the speed in ms?

I returned my XL2370. The colors were way too bright and turning down the brightness and anything else did nothing to help. I tried my consoles with it, and the PS3 and 360 games also looked like crap on it when compared to my Acer H233H.

It looked like a real nice panel for watching 1080P movies and whatnot, but for gaming it just didn't do well for me.

I returned my XL2370. The colors were way too bright and turning down the brightness and anything else did nothing to help. I tried my consoles with it, and the PS3 and 360 games also looked like crap on it when compared to my Acer H233H.

It looked like a real nice panel for watching 1080P movies and whatnot, but for gaming it just didn't do well for me.

Hi Arklight, can you explain why or what you mean when you say the PS3 and 360 games also looked like crap on it when compared to your Acer H233H? What makes your H233H so much better for consoles and why is the xl2370 better for movies but not gaming? This monitor is finally in stock here and I'm about to take the plunge.

I returned my XL2370. The colors were way too bright and turning down the brightness and anything else did nothing to help.

Sorry to hear that. Turning down gamma in Nvidia Control panel "Use Nvidia Settings" did it the trick for me. The controls on the monitor were worse for me than using the Graphics card settings in Nvidia Control Panel to adjust brightness, contrast, and gamma. I agree, it was work to get it to that point more so than most want to, but I did and am happy still 4 months later. :)

Hi Arklight, can you explain why or what you mean when you say the PS3 and 360 games also looked like crap on it when compared to your Acer H233H? What makes your H233H so much better for consoles and why is the xl2370 better for movies but not gaming? This monitor is finally in stock here and I'm about to take the plunge.

Well, for some reason, jaggies just jumped out on this monitor for me. I am guessing it was because the colors and whatnot were so bright it brought attention to imperfections. I play a lot of military style games, so super bright colors made the palette look "cartoony" to me. Now, don't get me wrong, the panel was nice, and if I was watching movies and wanted colors to "pop" it would probably be a pretty good choice, but since I only use it for gaming it just did not appeal to me. I tested it with various games including: 360 - Battlefield Bad Company, MW2, and Forza 3. PS3 - Uncharted 2 Demo, Killzone, and MAG. MAG was what drew my attention the most to jaggies. It was like if all of a sudden all the wires/cables on the maps lost anti-aliasing and other edges got their "jaggies" back. The other aspect, graphically, that I noticed and was not happy with was how dark the darker areas were. Yes, that sounds sort of wierd, but what bothered me was how these darker areas became so dark I could no longer see anything. I tired adjusting the gamma, but that would just fix one aspect and introduce a negative somewhere else.

The reason I preach so much about the H233H is because no matter what I throw at it (PS3, 360, PC games) it takes everything in stride with regards to color and clarity. The panel is bright without being overly so. The stand is solid (another thing I did not like about the XL2370 was the very flimsy stand, which also seems to plague the new LG 23" LED), it's cheap, and it comes with a ton of cables. I've said it before here, and I will say it again: I prefer to play PC games on my H233H than I do my Dell 3007WFP-HC.

Having said all that, I REALLY wanted to like the XL2370. I had to drive almost 60 miles one way just to see one and be able to buy it. Returning it was a real let down, especially after hearing so many great things about it. Keep in mind though, what bugs me may not bug others. "Jaggies" are something I actually look for when I appraise image quality in my games (and with a console, any type of help wiith the jaggies is welcome!). The colors being so bright might actually be a huge plus for somebody else. Despite my experience with the product, there are many out there who seem to really ejoy it (the thig is NEVER in-stock at any of the Best Buys by me except for one.

On a side note, if I may make a suggestion. If you are in the market for a nice looking and relatively cheap panel, take a look at the new LG W2340VG. I had the chance to see it at Best Buy by my house and it happend to be mounted next to the new LG LED 23". It has a glossy screen and an HDMI as well as DVI input. It looked very nice (it beat the pants off the LG LED model next to it). I am actually thinking about picking one up and comparing it to my Acer. Interestingly, Best Buy's website list it as only available online with the other WV2340VG (I believe they got the name designation incorrect...I think the W2340V is the one only available online) one being available in-store. I looked at the back and it had the HDMI and DVI inputs. The other model has no HDMI.

There are a lot of options out there. If a Best Buy located near you has an XL2370 in-stock and you want to check it out, you can always return it for a refund if you are not satisfied. You can't go wrong. I've picked up and returned so may panels and TVs from there I bet their refund division knows me by name.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I hope what I wrote above makes sense, I am about half asleep. lol

Uhh.. what the hell does a monitor have to do with jaggies? The only reason I could think of why a monitor would hide jaggies is to be blurrier than the source image.

You can probably blame it on the HDMI connection, but otherwise your claims about jaggies in PC games are unfounded. Add anti aliasing, thats what its there for.

Uhh.. what the hell does a monitor have to do with jaggies? The only reason I could think of why a monitor would hide jaggies is to be blurrier than the source image.

You can probably blame it on the HDMI connection, but otherwise your claims about jaggies in PC games are unfounded. Add anti aliasing, thats what its there for.

This.

And about the colors really popping out, and black crush. It has nothing to do with your display. I also have BadCompany 2 and at first the colors were just sooo obvious and there was black crush all over. White crush too. But i changed the settings in the menu (where it says adjust so you can see all shapes)

And now everything is just perfect. So i think you kinda messed up, theres was nothing wrong with the display.

I can tell you that it is much more vibrant than either the 2209wa or the ea231wmi. I have owned them all. Currently I have the ea231wmi. I just couldnt stand the horizonal viewing angles. I couldn't take it after having an ips 2007wfp. Also the casing is made from cheap ass plastic. I know you dont ussually look at the back of your monitor but I still don't want it feel like a cheap plastic toy. Not worth the price especially since you can get the ea231wmi for less than the xl2370 at least here in the states.

Seems like a good monitor....wish it had vesa mounting though :(

*Sigh* Please actually read the post before you make the decision to hit the "Qreply" tab.

The colors are so bright it makes edges and whatnot "stand out" compared to my other panel (where the palette is more subdued). Color and clarity can draw more attention to imperfections in graphics. Also, you can't add FSAA to console games. The issue has nothing to do with the HDMI connection. I never even mentioned "jaggies" in PC games.

Pay attention next time. lol

This.

And about the colors really popping out, and black crush. It has nothing to do with your display. I also have BadCompany 2 and at first the colors were just sooo obvious and there was black crush all over. White crush too. But i changed the settings in the menu (where it says adjust so you can see all shapes)

And now everything is just perfect. So i think you kinda messed up, theres was nothing wrong with the display.

The panel itself just isn't worth the price of admission. I worked with the settings for the afternoon and evening and just could not make it look "right" for me. The only benefit it seems to really have was how bright it was, and that was actually a negative for me.

With regards to Bad Company for the PC, it actually looked really good on the XL2370. My biggest reason for returning it was how it looked with console games..........which is exactly what the OP was asking about (PS3/360), hence my reason for listing PS3 and 360 games. I put them side by side and just did not like the XL2370 overall. It definitely appeared to have more light bleed than my Acer as well. Lastly, the stand is garbage.

To be honest, I am not even sure why I wanted to test one outside of wanting a change. If I had to do it over again, I would not have even considered the XL2370. It's overpriced for what it is.

Last edited:
Arklight, thank you so much for your review. It's always nice to get peoples firsthand experience with a monitor. I agree with the posters who mention that jaggies have nothing to do with a monitor and I personally see the XL2370's clarity (as you say) as one of it's advantages. It's similar to how you notice all the impertections of a DVD when you play it on a FULL HD TV. The problem is the source material. The problem can somewhat be alleviated by monitors with a smaller dot pitch which is one of the advantages of playing on a monitor over a big screen TV.

However I did some research on the H233H that you rave about as it looked interesting and I found people complaining about that monitor's jaggies and loss of dark detail problem, the very same problems you described about the XL2370! I wonder how much of that is due to user configuration and/or panel variance.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1477976&highlight=H233H
img00048200912140319b.jpg

I agree with you on the color palette issue however. Having tested Dell's S2309W I remember there was a chair in the opening scene of Bioshock and while trying to configure the monitor I could not tell if it was supposed to be dark red or brown. It sounds stupid that something so trivial bothered me but I've come ot appreciate accurate colors thanks to the 2209wa. So truthfully, while I am very curious to test out the XL2370 vibrancy, I am very happy with the 2209wa and the only thing holding it back is the resolution which would bump it up from great to awesome! All for the low measley price of $200! I hear that Nec's EA231WMi is basically as close to a 1080P version of the 2209wa and were it more readily available I would certainly have jumped on it!

Well how bad is the backlight bleed? I have an ASUS VH242HL and was thinking of switching to this because the ASUS' backlight bleed is terrible.

I'd say its not bad, but im new to this though and im not picky.

You can see really a small amount of bleed on top of the screen, down of the screen and just a little below the middle.

But its really minimal... I certainly dont mind it. Now ive seen some pics of screens with bleed that i can see it can annoy people, but on this one its totally fine. For me at least.

Arklight, thank you so much for your review. It's always nice to get peoples firsthand experience with a monitor. I agree with the posters who mention that jaggies have nothing to do with a monitor and I personally see the XL2370's clarity (as you say) as one of it's advantages. It's similar to how you notice all the impertections of a DVD when you play it on a FULL HD TV. The problem is the source material. The problem can somewhat be alleviated by monitors with a smaller dot pitch which is one of the advantages of playing on a monitor over a big screen TV.

However I did some research on the H233H that you rave about as it looked interesting and I found people complaining about that monitor's jaggies and loss of dark detail problem, the very same problems you described about the XL2370! I wonder how much of that is due to user configuration and/or panel variance.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1477976&highlight=H233H

I agree with you on the color palette issue however. Having tested Dell's S2309W I remember there was a chair in the opening scene of Bioshock and while trying to configure the monitor I could not tell if it was supposed to be dark red or brown. It sounds stupid that something so trivial bothered me but I've come ot appreciate accurate colors thanks to the 2209wa. So truthfully, while I am very curious to test out the XL2370 vibrancy, I am very happy with the 2209wa and the only thing holding it back is the resolution which would bump it up from great to awesome! All for the low measley price of $200! I hear that Nec's EA231WMi is basically as close to a 1080P version of the 2209wa and were it more readily available I would certainly have jumped on it!

Np!

I think with regards to a panels picture, it really depends on ther user. We all have different tastes and "what we look for", what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. :)

I have read similar things about the H233H, ad then seen somebody else say the opposite as well. That seems to be the norm when it comes to panels. The NEC offering you metioned seems to have a similar followig with some people likig it ad others having issues.

The best thing to do, if possible at your locale, is try a few differet panels and keep the one that suits you best. If you have had your heart set on the XL2370 check it out, it certainly won't hurt! The brightness of and color vibrance of the panel, I'm sure, is probably why I notice the jaggies. I was not saying the panel is causig them, just that when they are present I seem to notice them more due to the qualities of the panel I had tested. The smaller dot pitch is the predominant reason I game on my 360 and PS3 with the 23" panel over my huge Samsung in the living room. Perhaps if I had spent a few more days working with the panel I could have reduced some of the issues I had noticed. However, there didn't really seem to be a point when the one right next to it had already far exceeded my expectations. I the ed, the purchase of the XL2370 was more of a whimsical purchase tha anything else. I am always on the look out for "better". lol

Let me know what you finally decide to go with.

Happy hunting! :)

Looks like if I end up getting this monitor I'll have to buy a new 360 to use the HDMI. Damn my old xbox 360 and its lack of hdmi.

Last edited:
Looks like if I end up getting this monitor I'll have to buy a new 360 to use the HDMI. Damn my old xbox 360 and its lack of hdmi.

You can still get HD with your 360 by using an xbox to VGA cable, just not with this monitor since it doesn't have a VGA input.

Back