Samsung XL2370

Went into BB to compare the LG E2350V and the Samsung XL2370, but they didn't have the XL2370. Walked out with the PX2370 instead. Hopefully this thing is at least as good as the XL2370, don't want BB to rape me with restocking fees if I end up taking it back. :x

I'm seeing two models, the XL2370 and the XL2370-1. Newegg has the XL2370-1 model, while my local BBY has the XL2370.

I tried Googling the difference, but no luck. Anyone know if there is a diff or if the "-1" model is just the next revision of the product?

I'm seeing two models, the XL2370 and the XL2370-1. Newegg has the XL2370-1 model, while my local BBY has the XL2370.

I tried Googling the difference, but no luck. Anyone know if there is a diff or if the "-1" model is just the next revision of the product?

There is no difference between the two. The xl2370 was replaced with the xl2370-1. Not sure why they changed the model number.

Went into BB to compare the LG E2350V and the Samsung XL2370, but they didn't have the XL2370. Walked out with the PX2370 instead. Hopefully this thing is at least as good as the XL2370, don't want BB to rape me with restocking fees if I end up taking it back. :x

No restocking fee at Best Buy for panels.

Uhh.. what the hell does a monitor have to do with jaggies? The only reason I could think of why a monitor would hide jaggies is to be blurrier than the source image.

You can probably blame it on the HDMI connection, but otherwise your claims about jaggies in PC games are unfounded. Add anti aliasing, thats what its there for.

I was thinking about this and there is an instance where a monitor might actually contribute to jaggies...OVERSCAN. I am not saying that this is the case here but some 1080p HDTVs have problems with overscanning 720p sources which the PS3 is.

My next question, does anyone actually own an XL2370 without backlight bleeding? I have a feeling that edgelit LED backlighting is actually making this monitor prone to backlight bleeding making it worse than traditional CCFL backligfhting. It really makes you wonder when these monitors are being hit with a price premium for what is basically just a TN panel.

I have not noticed any backlight bleeding on my XL2370.

And most of the "normal" usage you won't. It is apparent on the bottom when starting up and looking at your bios screen, after that, everyday use and gaming you will not notice it. The negativity towards this screen is people "looking hard" for something wrong with it. No input lag, fast response times, thin and "green" are what most would notice. We are not looking at all black screen trying to find a problem. Side to side viewing is very good. Sure, looking down or up at it isn't that great, but I sit in front so that isn't an issue.

And to be honest, it took me 2 1/2 to 3 hours over a couple of weeks of calibrating to get it exactly as I like it. Digital Vibrance in NV Control panel really helped make the colors "pop".

Monitor Settings:
Brightness=37
Contrast=25
Sharpness=76
Color Tone=Normal
Response Time=Faster
Gamma Mode=2
Hdmi Black level=Low (if you use HDMI)

NV Control Panel Settings

Brightness=42
Contrast=62
Gamma=1.01
Digital Vibrance=72 (If you don't have this type of setting on ATI cards, don't know what to tell ya.)

Works for me and looks best for my games. :)

And most of the "normal" usage you won't. It is apparent on the bottom when starting up and looking at your bios screen, after that, everyday use and gaming you will not notice it. The negativity towards this screen is people "looking hard" for something wrong with it. No input lag, fast response times, thin and "green" are what most would notice. We are not looking at all black screen trying to find a problem. Side to side viewing is very good. Sure, looking down or up at it isn't that great, but I sit in front so that isn't an issue.

And to be honest, it took me 2 1/2 to 3 hours over a couple of weeks of calibrating to get it exactly as I like it. Digital Vibrance in NV Control panel really helped make the colors "pop".

Monitor Settings:
Brightness=37
Contrast=25
Sharpness=76
Color Tone=Normal
Response Time=Faster
Gamma Mode=2

Brightness=42
Contrast=62
Gamma=1.01
Digital Vibrance=72 (If you don't have this type of setting on ATI cards, don't know what to tell ya.)

Hi, would you by any chance have settings for a Xbox360 console?
Thanks.

http://translate.google.com/transla...u=http://readme.ru/news/none.html&sl=ru&tl=en
Had nothing to do with topic and heres hoping for a ban, freakin site advertising bullshit!:mad:

Guess it doesn't support direct link to download... works just fine if clicked from site. Anyway here's another link with host for download. It's just a decent tool for testing response time, yet is was made by a russian so you won't understand the text part but it has images, quite easy to follow (I'm not russian).

PS.hardforum is not a Russian forum, why would i post Russian advertising?!

Sorry bud. I would never use a console on a pc monitor.;)

A lot of people do; especially people who play console games on a competitive level.

Hi, would you by any chance have settings for a Xbox360 console?
Thanks.

If you like his settings for his computer then alter them on the 360 till you find something you like. I have a different monitor but I use it for my pc as well as my 360 and I use the same settings for everything, but I use the Extended Blacks on the 360 because it looks the best.

Hi, I have a Samsung 2494HS right now. I'm wondering if I should replace it with an XL2370, is there anyone here, who have already seen both monitors? Are there noticable differences in quality, and black levels? I had more TN panels already, and 2494HS is the best so far, it doesn't have any noticable backlight bleeding, the only problem is that blacks arent perfect, it can be seen that black is lighter than it should be, especially on a website like this.
Also, is LED backlight any better for your eyes for longer pc usage? or is it the same?

Hello.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I come baring some advice for PS3 (And 360) gamers using this monitor and complaining about "scaling issues". It took me ages to figure it out, but I finally realized that this monitor has no scaling issues at all. It's a combination of the piece of shit "AV" mode on this monitor, as well as the sharpness control.

Instead of going into the details, I'll just tell you how to fix it:

1) While in HDMI mode, click "Menu" on the OSD, and scroll down to "Setup&Reset". Once you're in "Setup&Reset" scroll down to "PC/AV Mode, and change "AV" to "PC"

2) Now, go on "Picture" in the OSD, and change to these settings

Brightness: 100
Contrast: 62
Sharpness: 60
Response Time: Faster
HDMI Black Level: Normal

I've checked these settings on Lagom.nl, and they are the best possible. Espicially the sharpness, which is now "neutral".

3) Now, go on "Color" in the OSD and change to these settings:

MagicColor: Off
Red: 59
Green: 60
Blue: 70
Color Effect: Off
Gamma: Mode 2

Again I've checked these settings on Lagom, and they are the best possible. The Gamma is now accurate, too.

I'm now playing Killzone 2, and Uncharted 2 on my PS3 and they look stunning. I sit about 5"5 - 5"7 feet away from the monitor.

Anyway, I hope I help some people on here. Cause I knew there was more to this monitor than at first glance. ;)
Also, another interesting thing I noticed was that PC mode actually displays the full image compared to AV; AV for some reason appears to chop quite a bit off the sides and changes the aspect ratio ever so slightly...

Note: You may wish to change the settings once you're back on your PC.

Last edited:
Hello every1 i own this monitor too the XL2370, when i was surfing the web at first i didnt notice about a blue tint in the grays in some forum sites compared to a CRT model of my borther, so that let me a little unconformtable and i tried to get the most neutral colors as possible, meaning to obtain the best grayscale i can get with this monitor...

This are my current values...in combination with my Nvidia card, i dont know about how to do it with an Ati videocard cuz i dont have one...

RedGreenBlue = 45 (all 3)
Gama 1
Contrast 71 (According to Samsung contrast software you cant go further 73 otherwise you cant see all the 4 bright squares in the pro calibration tool...)
Brightness 25 with Text / 100 in Movies
No Magic Color ruins the grayscale and make look blue some grays...
Sharp 72
Response Time Faster (2nd Level), take out some ghosting in Panic Room, but the maximun level ruin the result, i see ghost effect again in level 3 and according to the manual is not good to leave it in that level, only recomends the 2nd level.

Then go the Nvidia Control Panel and set in VIDEO - Adjust Video Color Settings - With the Nvidia Settings and i reduce the brightness from the default 50 to 49 %
Then in Advance Tab select Full Dynamic Range 0-255

This is the test i used...
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5006/graytest.jpg

I hope some of you like it...

In other though a preview comparison between th XL2370 and the PX2370 can be found here...

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=711&p1=8105&ma2=36&mo2=589&p2=6587&ph=6

On Monday 19 will be available in Digital Versus the PX2370 full review...

Last edited:

Monitor Settings:
Brightness=37
Contrast=25
Sharpness=76
Color Tone=Normal
Response Time=Faster
Gamma Mode=2

Brightness=42
Contrast=62
Gamma=1.01

I tried these settings on my PX2370 but theres a lot of black crush according to this test: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php Are these monitors that much different (XL2370 vs. PX2370) ?

I had to set the Brightness and Contrast in Nvidia control panel to default 50% and the monitors Gamma mode to 1 in order to make the black level test appear correctly (I can see box 1) however the REAL challenge im having is getting the black levels correct AND the white saturation test page correct at the same time: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php once I have the black levels correct I can only see up to box 251 on the white saturation test.

Im probably being overly picky but this wasnt an issue on my FW900 CRT (quit working couple days ago). and im trying to convert into LCD land.. lol

can someone post some comparison shots from the XL2370 with an another normal, ccfl lcd monitor? about colors, blacks, whites, etc...
is there any pulsing/flashing effect when looking at whites or blacks with this monitor like with normal CCFL TN monitors?
also, are the viewing angles good if you watch it from a little above?

Last edited:
22.4" is the width of the display not screensize which is 23" (measured diagonally). The PX2370's width is only 21.9" due to the smaller bezel.
aw, you're right, sorry, so it is real 23"? that isn't bad, as my 24" 2494HS is only 23,6", that isn't much difference in size...
though I'm thinking of buying an eIPS screen, which is only 22", but most people are saying it's much better

Does the Amazon return policy for panels still take effect if the monitor is sold by a marketplace seller and not Amazon itself? Thinking of getting one of these from Amazon soon.

Does the Amazon return policy for panels still take effect if the monitor is sold by a marketplace seller and not Amazon itself? Thinking of getting one of these from Amazon soon.

I don't think so. That only applies to items sold directly by Amazon.

Oh, okay. Has anyone owned or used both this monitor and the Asus 24" thats so popular? If so, any comment on which one takes the lead for games? Thanks.

Also, any thoughts on dead pixel policy? If I don't get the benefit of the good Amazon one since it seems to be sold by a marketplace seller there, where else can I go? My local Best Buy doesn't have them available.

Newegg.com has them last I checked although their return policy on lcds sucks. I don't know what samsungs policy is though. If you have a problem samsung should be able to replace it.

Also, any thoughts on dead pixel policy? If I don't get the benefit of the good Amazon one since it seems to be sold by a marketplace seller there, where else can I go? My local Best Buy doesn't have them available.

I do not know whether you are in the US or Canada but NCIX serves both Canada and the US and has a good dead pixel policy.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=52406&promoid=1141&vpn=LS23EFPKFK/ZA&manufacture=Samsung

And as regards the dead pixel policy coverage which you can get on purchase:

http://www.ncixus.com/go/?expresscoverage

Scroll down to see it.

The XL-2370-1 is down to $268.99 at Amazon (direct, not Marketplace). I paid $31 more at Christmas.

Hi, I bought this monitor, on the Lagom.nl black test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
I can clearly see all the blacks, even the first, over HDMI connection, but the temporal dithering is also very clearly visible, for example on 6, 9, 11... it is almost like a gif animation or something...
If I connect the monitor in DVI the temporal dithering can't be seen, almost nothing... but the black levels are worse, 1 can't be seen, and 2-3 is harder to see too, why is this??
Also the white saturation test looks better on HDMI too, i can see even 254, but on dvi only to 251-252...

Last edited:
PC Monitors have made another more extended review of this screen and i posted in the comments some pictures too, of Riddick, and others...

http://www.pcmonitors.org/monitor-reviews/samsung-syncmaster-xl2370

Do you use Gamma Mode 1 or 2?
For me gamma mode 1 is very dark for movies, and colors doesn't look too accurate in my opinion either. Mode 2 is nice, and colors looks very good too.
The only problem is that for standard pc usage I like mode 1 better, so I always have to switch between them...
My brightness is 33, Contrast is 67.
I found that with Contrast Over 69-70ish looking the monitor from slightly above you can see that whites becomes inverse color, and over 70 greys are also too bright, it looks bad.

Hello saito, well i use several tweaks to get my image right, i use :
RedGreenBlue = 45 all tree, Gamma1, Brightness 100 in Movies, Contrast up to a maximun of 71, in 75 i start to notice some blue color in the last row of the grayscale :

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5006/graytest.jpg ,

Thats the hardware of the monitor now in the hardware of the videocard Nvidia 8800gts i select Advance Control Panel and select Adjust Video Color Settings - With the Nvidia Settings and Advance Tab Dynamic Range 0-255 so the videocard process the colors only with movies that are played with my favorite player, Kmplayer, now the software tweaks...
I have Windows 7 so i choose the calibration tool in Color Managment of the Display Properties and proceed to run the test once finished you have to go Advance Properties of Color Managment and in the fisrt option Profile select the option that says "sRGB display profile data derived from the calibration" maybe not all this words appear visible..
Then in Kmplayer free software i use Overlay Mixer Mode with no KMmplayer filter copy transform neither the video or the audio so the process is directly achieved by the decoders of audio and video , h264 CoreAVC , AC3 Filter for Dolby Digital and DTS..etc
Now download the last version of MagicTune and see if your videocard is supported...mine does and have been updated for windows 7...
Now theres a tool in the MagicTune options called Calibration for setting the gamma to a more extended level..
Now look the Grayscale image that i posted, save it and doble click in windows until reachs the fullscreen, you will see that there are not very uniform yet, especially in the 6 and 8 row of the scale, to correct this
run the Calibration tool ...and then dont move no matter what, the center square that appears in the center window of the screen cuz you only need a minor adjustment in the gamma specially the brightness, you will see now in th bottom a few steps from 1 to 5 , in the 1 step just move the arrows of ur keyboard to the right to make it brighter 17 times to the right¡ and press next be careful, then in step 2 again 17 times to the right, step 3 ..3 times to the right, step 4 leave it dont press anything, step 5 move it 3 times to the Left (this last step controls how dark the grays will look like and also how dark ur screen will be , you can try another maximun and minimun dark tones for the desktop but only change the values in the step 5 and not the others, the other steps correct other deviations of the grayscale, i sugest this settings for the desktop cuz the movies are already managed by the videocard and are not affected by this settings, this settings only affects the desktop and the webpages)...
Also notice that once you finish ur first profile and save it, in other to create other different and accurate one, select first the default profile and apply it to reset all the gamma tweaks, otherwise you will ending calibrating ur previous profile 1 and the result is horrible...

I dont have an Ati videocard so i dont now how to calibrate with that card...

I hope that helps ...

PS: the last photos of GI Joe the contrast is not accurate only the brightness, cuz once you take out the flash with the camera the colors are not well represented neither accurate, the lost of contrast is abismal , it was used only to represent the brightness nothing else, the colors looks semi accurate with Riddick and Samsung LED demo, cuz even with the flash enable the colors looks far great ...

Last edited:
This monitor is awesome spec as well as aesthetics wise. The only complaint I have is that I am on my third monitor due to dead pixels and even that has the darn pixel problem. 1st had 1 right in the middle, 2nd had 2, and now the 3rd has 12. Did or does anyone else have this problem with this model?

Thats weird i dont have death pixels but im not in north america, change of store, maybe they are starting to sell their retun monitors lol ...

Hey guys, I've been considering getting an XL2370, but then there are also the BX2450 and SM2494HM. Which of the three would be the best choice?

Back