Samsung S27A750D 120Hz

The monitor does not come with a DisplayPort cable. I bought a 6 ft. cable from Amazon Prime for $7. The monitor does come with 3D glasses. Also, it has the same screen as the 950D however the base is a different style. I haven't done much with 3D on it however from what I've seen in the 2D-3D conversion it looks pretty nice.

The monitor does not come with a DisplayPort cable. I bought a 6 ft. cable from Amazon Prime for $7. The monitor does come with 3D glasses. Also, it has the same screen as the 950D however the base is a different style. I haven't done much with 3D on it however from what I've seen in the 2D-3D conversion it looks pretty nice.

Very strange... :confused: I got mine in today and it came with a full DP>DP cable. I pulled my 5870's MiniDP>DP adapter out of it's box, plugged it in and was good to go, no extra purchases required.

I received my S27A750D today. It came with the 3D glasses and a 6' DP cable in the box. I purchased the monitor at buy.com. Now I need to find a 10' DP cable and play around with the 3D functionality. Are there any free 3D PC software bluray players? Do the new 11.8 drivers allow for 3D movies to play in 3D or do I need to still buy software?

My HTC EVO 3D youtube videos play fine in 3D if I select side by side 3D playback. Actually lots of 3D youtube videos look pretty good on the monitor. There's some ghosting, but I need to play around with the monitor settings.

Thanks,

GP

Yeah, i got a 6ft dp cable in the box as well, even though the contents didn't mention one, thankfully I only paid like 8$ for the one i ordered with it. Haven't noticed any ghosting in 3d yet, though I only really played with it for a second, not really all that interested in 3d personally. 2d is amazingly smooth though.

Hi everyone,

So far I really like the monitor. Call of duty modern warfare 2 looks amazing in 3D.

Now for the question, how do I enable bluray 3D movies? I'm running catalyst 11.8, Powerdvd 11 ultra, and a ATI HD5770 videocard. When I try to play a 3D bluray movie, Powerdvd says that it can't enable 3D, try selecting another device 3D device. Would it work if I connect the HDMI cable to the monitor from the videocard? Any ideas?

Thanks!

GP

Hi,

How do I view 3D pictures on the S27A750D? I can view movies fine, but haven't figured out how to watch my EVO 3D pictures on the monitor yet. Any ideas?

Thanks,

GP

Somewhere I thought I read about successfully using NVIDIA cards with this monitor. HDMI out to displayport in.

Also, if there is a professional review out there on this screen, I can't find it.

Does anyone know how to select the HDMI port on the monitor? I got a 3D bluray player from panasonic and I can't figure out how to select it. I tried the AUTO/MANUAL selections on the monitor, but nothing happens. I even tried with the PC off, but it still doesn't display the bluray player. Any ideas?

Thanks,

GP

In the menu of the monitor you can disable auto-detection and force it to stay on HDMI or DP based upon whatever you choose. I'd force it to HDMI then power cycle the monitor and turn the blu-ray player on.

>>In the menu of the monitor you can disable auto-detection and force it to stay on HDMI or DP based upon whatever you choose. I'd force it to HDMI then power cycle the monitor and turn the blu-ray player on.

I'm surprised the manual doesn't really cover this functionality. After playing with the several touch controls, I figured out that you have to press the middle button in between the four arrows while DISPLAYPORT or HDMI is displayed on the top left of the screen. If you don't catch it in time, you have to turn the monitor off then on and try again. Not the easiest way to switch between inputs. By the way, 3D movies look fantastic on this monitor. I purchased a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 at Fry's this weekend for $79.99 and it comes with a form to receive Avatar in 3D for free. It's a great deal considering the 3D bluray version of Avatar sells for close to $100 on eBay.

Thanks,

GP

So there is no way to use this monitor samsung S27A750D with nvidia cards even if i buy nvidia 3Dkit.

yeah this would have been cool if it had more ports...

the base is pretty stupid looking also, I do not like it

My only concern with that thing is the 1080p resolution at 27".. especially when sitting there staring at my desktop and browsing around.

So there is no way to use this monitor samsung S27A750D with nvidia cards even if i buy nvidia 3Dkit..................
ANYBODY
:rolleyes:

My only concern with that thing is the 1080p resolution at 27".. especially when sitting there staring at my desktop and browsing

I sit about 3 feet from the monitor and it looks very clear and crisp. Games and movies look amazing, especially compared to my previous 22" acer 60 hz monitor. No concerns on this end.

yeah this would have been cool if it had more ports...

the base is pretty stupid looking also, I do not like it

One thing i don't like about the base are the touch controls. They're not very responsive and it's difficult to switch from display port to HDMI. Other than that, the base is okay. Too bad it's not removable so you can mount the monitor on a wall or swivel type mount.

So there is no way to use this monitor samsung S27A750D with nvidia cards even if i buy nvidia 3Dkit..................
ANYBODY
:rolleyes:
It looks like with HDMI 1.4 you're limited to 720p60 or 1080p24 with a GeForce, so you're gaming at 720p or playing Blu-Ray 3D at 1080p. GeForce cards can do 3D on a 120Hz CRT monitor, so I don't see why 3D wouldn't work over DisplayPort if you had one of them with a native DisplayPort on it. May be time to do some trading. I see that most of Zotac's GTX 560s and 570s have DP. EVGA has the one updated "GTX 570 HD" with DisplayPort, then MSI has the one 580 with DP, and all 590's have a mini-DisplayPort. My impression is that you would need the 3D Vision glasses kit with the transmitter in order to game with a GeForce, but this is all new so we could use some confirmation from somebody. Whereas with a Radeon you'd use the glasses and the Tridef software driver that the monitor comes with, plus a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter.

I was looking all around for a converter for Dual-link DVI to DP, but but the ones on the market are all DP to single link DVI for using a super new DP only PC with a DVI monitor. These are also uni-directional, so I do not believe that an adapter would work. I think for a GeForce it would have to have a DP out.

I've ran a 26-inch LCD since 2005, and while it's bordering on too big, I think this may be the dream monitor I've been holding out for upgrading to, except for not being an IPS display.

New samsungs coming out in October, may want to hold out for those. Suppose to be the same line of monitors but less ugly and more ports.

Ya, can you give us any more info on where you read that, Inu? I can't find anything about a refresh of this line and I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one of these soon.

I have a couple questions about the SA750:
1. Does the stand tilt forwards?
2. Has anyone had any issues re: the monitor "crashing" every now and then?

1. yes marginally

2. no

What do you mean by crashing? I get something like that. My 750 intermittently just drops signal the DP signal for no good reason. So, I'll be doing whatever and suddenly it acts like there is no input signal. If I power cycle the monitor it comes back. I have never seen such a strange thing. I'm rebuilding my O/S soon and hope its a windows or hw issue as I know my mb & vid card and/or drivers are flaky. Maybe its the card just stopping to push the signal in, but makes no sense since a monitor power cycle fixes it.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I've heard about the issue on a different forum, so I was wondering if people here have encountered it.

One of them said he couldn't see the POST/Bios screens via displayport, not sure if that's really a monitor or GPU issue though.

*hopes Samsung will fix it by the time I have enough money to buy one

What do you mean by crashing? I get something like that. My 750 intermittently just drops signal the DP signal for no good reason. So, I'll be doing whatever and suddenly it acts like there is no input signal. If I power cycle the monitor it comes back. I have never seen such a strange thing. I'm rebuilding my O/S soon and hope its a windows or hw issue as I know my mb & vid card and/or drivers are flaky. Maybe its the card just stopping to push the signal in, but makes no sense since a monitor power cycle fixes it.

This could be the power saving stuff. It could be shutting off due to lack of movement detected by the sensor. You can disable that.

Tachikoma said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. I've heard about the issue on a different forum, so I was wondering if people here have encountered it.

One of them said he couldn't see the POST/Bios screens via displayport, not sure if that's really a monitor or GPU issue though.

*hopes Samsung will fix it by the time I have enough money to buy one

I have the 23" version and it displays the post screens fine over DP. I would imagine the internals are pretty similar, so that is likely a video card issue.

I have the 23" model too. Its shows through POST, and I use DP, but def. a crash issue as all the eco crap is off and it will literally crash as I am working on it. If you can post a link to the other forum I'd be interested in reading up on it thanks!

I got mine in yesterday and had some time to tinker with it. I have it connected to my asus 6970 CUII via displayport and it posts bios screens like a normal monitor.

This is the supermodel of screens as its waif thin, tall and lean.

2011-10-13142625.jpg

As you can see it holds its own sitting next to my triple portrait U2410s and is a welcome addition to the bat cave. The 120hz is impressive and I can see its superior response time between it and the U2410s.

Simply put if your a gamer, then this monitor is a must have. I pretty much bought it specifically for BF3 and its 3d capabilities, but it is a welcome screen when I am doing productivity as well. In fact, it was sorely needed for me because my one pet peeve about portrait mode is the lack of adequate horizontal viewing space for videos...I can deal with games and bezel gaps but I HATE VIDEOS, PICTURES & MOVIES with bezel gaps.

The 3d is hit or miss. Batman and Dead Space 2 are excellent and everything else that I have tried sucks. Also, once I load up tridef software, it attaches itself to every game and forces 3d on them when I start them, which is annoying when I don't want to play a game in 3d or when 3d does not work properly with the title I am trying to play. The only way to solve this so far is a complete reboot, which is annoying.

My one major dislike is the touch controls on the base. They are slightly unresponsive and too close together so it can be frustrating navigating menus and accidentially selecting options that you did not want. A monitor in this price range should have come with a remote control.

All in all I love it though. If it had VESA mounts and didn't have the base, I would buy three of em for eyefinity because the bezels are small and the screen is so thin you can easily tuck the other screens bezels behind each other.

I have had the intermittent issue once in a while of the DisplayPort cutting out and saying not recommended settings which requires a power cycle. I however am constantly updating my video card drivers and am currently running the 11.10 preview2 driver. Not sure if its the screen itself or the video card, but it happens maybe once/twice a week for no apparent reason. I have disabled the eco stuff in the menu too. With the exception of this, my monitor still looks and games great. I guess I'll try swapping the DP cable itself like the other forum suggested to see if it causes it to go away.

I have had the intermittent issue once in a while of the DisplayPort cutting out and saying not recommended settings which requires a power cycle. I however am constantly updating my video card drivers and am currently running the 11.10 preview2 driver. Not sure if its the screen itself or the video card, but it happens maybe once/twice a week for no apparent reason. I have disabled the eco stuff in the menu too. With the exception of this, my monitor still looks and games great. I guess I'll try swapping the DP cable itself like the other forum suggested to see if it causes it to go away.

My 23" version I am testing keeps doing this constantly. The screen will randomly go black and the little light on the base flashes twice slowly then fast once. All Eco options are turned off. I am using the displayport output of a MSI Lightening GTX580 at the moment. This is seriously not good as the display turns off every 5 minutes are so.

Also, the screen will not show and POSt/BIOS and only turns on once the Windows logon comes up. I have AMD 6990s coming in so I will test how they handle these screens. You can only get 120Hz using displayport so this might be a show-stopper.

I just timed it and the screen turns off every ten minutes. I think this monitor has an electronics/firmware issue and not a display port issue.

EDIT:

I found what the problem was. There is a tiny little fan in the back of the stand/base module that was not spinning. I gave it a small nudge with a screwdriver and it started to spin. The power light stopped blinking and the screen doesn't turn off anymore. It's funny they must have programmed a over-heat safety feature that reads the RPM of the fan (it has a third wire).

Although, not sure if there is enough heat generated to warrant a fan. The bad thing though is if that little fan quits down the road the monitor will stop working. If it is out of warranty you would have to take the base apart and wire in a new fan.

Last edited:
Hey guys

I have been following this thread for quite some time and managed to buy the "little brother" S23A750D. As I believe my problem to be systematically I use this thread due to more participation. So please forgive. ;-)

The display is connected to a DVI->HDMI cable and everything works just fine EXCEPT 120Hz. So I changed to Displayport at my brand new Gainward GX-580 1.5 gig Phantom.

Surprisingly the resolution is to 640x480 and I cannot do anything to convince my system of doing any other resolution.

Latest NVIDIA beta drivers are installed as well as Samsung's little addon tool (where is the display connected to).

Does anybody have similar problems while using NVIDIA?

I liaised with Samsung Support and, believe me or not, they told me to buy an ATI graphics card... which is pretty hard for someone using NVIDIA cards all life long.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards

n

I am using a MSI Lightening GTX580 with a S23A750D and the resolution is normal via Display-port. Maybe you have a defective DP cable? Make sure the plugs are inserted very securly also.

I have 2 at hand and it is the same with both. I mean at least it is transmitting a signal but... :-(

Despite having an Asus 6970 I wasn't able to get frame sequential 3d mode working with my new S27A750D and had been settling with side-by-side mode. In fact, the 3d mode was pretty damn clunky as I had to manually activate 3d mode and select side-by-side every time I played a game. On top of all that, in game menus were out of wack and distorted mouse cursor placement which was very annoying.

After digging through a couple of forums, I found the solution (http://www.ddd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1234&start=20). Basically, I had to roll back the drivers to 11.5b hotfix and now the monitor correctly picks up 3d sequential mode.

At first I was even more dissapointed with sequential mode than I was with side by side as the ghosting was off the charts, but then I began tinkering with DDD's control panel and the monitor contrast/brightness functions and MY GOD THE 3D IS JUST JAW DROPPING IN MAFIA II AND BATMAN AA!

Yes, the 3d mode washes out the colours and cant match 2d mode there, but it is very, very immersive and worth the cost of entry!

Last edited:
Back