Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57" 7680x2160 super ultrawide (mini-LED)

1711482654706.png

hmm thinking abut it.

1711482726881.png

But then I think that since I don't need UW for productivity, from the AW32 OLED to this I downgrade: colors, black levels, contrast, motion clarity, screen coating clarity, blooming, desk space, viewing angles, uniformity, scan lines?, only 120 Hz until RTX 5090, to gain: brighter screen and side fish-eye effect in almost all games.

So really doesn't make much sense. But if I needed it for productivity and gaming/one monitor, this would be the obvious choice.

Last edited:
View attachment 643958

hmm thinking abut it.

View attachment 643959

But then I think that since I don't need UW for productivity, from the AW32 OLED to this I downgrade: colors, black levels, contrast, motion clarity, screen coating clarity, blooming, desk space, viewing angles, uniformity, scan lines?, only 120 Hz until RTX 5090, to gain: brighter screen and side fish-eye effect in almost all games.

So really doesn't make much sense. But if I needed it for productivity and gaming/one monitor, this would be the obvious choice.
Agreed, to me, this is more of a 75%+ productivity monitor. Actually, that is my main hesitation about it, had it been glossy or at least with a matte coating as good as on my X27, it would already be on my desk (again). Real dream would be a 8K TV that wasn't gimped for PC use.

Unless all you do is HDR gaming :inpain:
I do most of my single player gaming and flight sims on a 65" Samsung FALD at over 2000 nits and insane color volume. Now that's HDR. Still crazy how much better good FALD VA TV sets look over FALD PC monitors.

I do most of my single player gaming and flight sims on a 65" Samsung FALD at over 2000 nits and insane color volume. Now that's HDR. Still crazy how much better good FALD VA TV sets look over FALD PC monitors.

Yeah it's the same thing with OLED TVs, they just absolutely destroy OLED monitors when it comes to HDR. No OLED monitor will come close to delivering HDR on the level that the LG G4 and Samsung S90D will. Hopefully next year's OLED TVs will have PHOLED and offer up a nice bump in brightness spec.

If you're talking about the QN90B/C, it suffers from the same drawbacks as this. Low color gamut coverage and a big difference in terms of what it measures on test slides vs what it actually achieves in content due to the FALD algorithm which especially true for the Samsung TV's in game mode. In actual content I'd be surprised if the difference between the two is more than 100-200nits since the TV is way more aggressive in trying to suppress bloom. I'd wager they look pretty similar in HDR (similar color volume - roughly 10-15% lower than QD-OLED) the big difference is the TV has the wide viewing angle layer if yours is the VA and its way slower in pixel response.

If that is your frame of reference than you already get the gist of how the 57" compares to your OLED. Just imagine your TV but cleaner in motion and worse viewing angles although the curve mitigates 80% of that problem.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 143212.png

Last edited:
I have the QN95C which has double the zones so it does a little better. It does almost 900 nits in the Hallway lights test in game mode.

Lets go Vega, hurry up and order a 57"!!!

The quicker you get it, the quicker you test it, the quicker you can refund it and get your money bag!

Or you can end up like me and socali....stuck in hotel fiftsevenfornia!!! Such a lovely place such an extra ultra wide face!!!! Plenty of room left at hotel fiftysevenfornia!! *twang, twang, twang, twang......*

Reactions: Vega
like this
Little bit of off-topic music trivia. Hotel California was arguably heavily influenced by the Eagles having opened on tour for Jethro Tull before the eagles landed a hit single with "Take it Easy" . Which makes sense with the medieval bard quality and retrospective melancholy tone of "Hotel California"

. . . .

"We Used to Know

Song by Jethro Tull

Lyrics

Whenever I get to feel this way
Try to find new words to say
I think about the bad old days
We used to know

Nights of winter turn me cold
Fears of dying, getting old
We ran the race, the race was won
By running slowly

Could be soon we'll cease to sound
Slowly upstairs, faster down
Then to revisit stony grounds
We used to know

Remembering mornings, shillings spent
Made no sense to leave the bed
The bad old days they came and went
Giving way to fruitful years

[Flute/Guitar Solo]

Saving up the birds in hand
While in the bush the others land
Take what we can before the man
Says it's time to go

Each to his own way I'll go mine
Best of luck with what you find
But for your own sake remember times
We used to know

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Ian Anderson

. .

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/how-jethro-tull-influenced-the-eagles-hotel-california/

“It was a piece of music that we were playing around the time… I believe it was late ’71, maybe early ’72, when we were on tour, and we had a support band who had been signed up for the tour, and subsequently, before the tour began, had a hit single,” Anderson remembered. “The song, I believe, called ‘Take It Easy.’ And they were indeed the Eagles.”

“We didn’t interact with them very much because they were countrified, laid-back polite rock, and we were a bit wacky and English and doing weird stuff,” he added. “And I don’t think they liked us, and we didn’t much like them. There was no communication, really, at all. Just a polite observance of each other’s space when it came to sound checks and show time. But they probably heard us play the song because that would have featured in the sets back then, and maybe it was just something they kind of picked up on subconsciously and introduced that chord sequence into their famous song’ Hotel California’ sometime later.”

Anderson stopped short of accusing the Eagles of ripping him off. “But, you know, it’s not plagiarism. It’s just the same chord sequence,” Anderson claimed. “It’s in a different time signature, different key, different context. And it’s a very, very fine song that they wrote, so I can’t feel anything other than a sense of happiness for their sake. And I feel flattered that they came across that chord sequence.”

. .

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EBQ-ljFlt4

. .

Anyone playing Horizon Forebidden West on this monitor. Please tell me all your monitor settings and ingame HDR calibration settings.

BTW, HFW actually looks incredible on this monitor!

I got my replacement monitor this morning. Packing it back up now to take the Bestbuy giftcard. Just a summary of my experience with each monitor.

1st - Friends monitor that I traded for just started artifacting at random. Thought it was memory GPU or DSC problem but nope, monitor itself.
2nd -. Replacement had horrific uniformity that put WOLED vertical bands to shame making it unusable in any game with a skybox.
3rd - Enabling HDR literally looks like the panel is textured due to the severity of the diagonal scanlines.

My first 2 monitors had the diagonal scanlines but they were so subtle that I couldn't even see them unless I pressed my face to the screen and even then they were only on the right side with HDR enabled. Basically invisible to me in games, barely visible on solid desktop colors super close. This 3rd one is atrocious, like literal corduroy texture applied to the entire panel when I enable HDR.

I give up for now. Way too much of a PITA unpacking, packing and hauling these huge boxes around. If QC improves I'll try again but for now I'm just going to have to go back to some 16:9 miniled that's cheap.

I got my replacement monitor this morning. Packing it back up now to take the Bestbuy giftcard. Just a summary of my experience with each monitor.

1st - Friends monitor that I traded for just started artifacting at random. Thought it was memory GPU or DSC problem but nope, monitor itself.
2nd -. Replacement had horrific uniformity that put WOLED vertical bands to shame making it unusable in any game with a skybox.
3rd - Enabling HDR literally looks like the panel is textured due to the severity of the diagonal scanlines.

My first 2 monitors had the diagonal scanlines but they were so subtle that I couldn't even see them unless I pressed my face to the screen and even then they were only on the right side with HDR enabled. Basically invisible to me in games, barely visible on solid desktop colors super close. This 3rd one is atrocious, like literal corduroy texture applied to the entire panel when I enable HDR.

I give up for now. Way too much of a PITA unpacking, packing and hauling these huge boxes around. If QC improves I'll try again but for now I'm just going to have to go back to some 16:9 miniled that's cheap.

The cheap mini LED champ InnoCN is calling your name lol.

Samsung continues being Samsung it seems. Kind of makes me curious to try out another QN900C as the one I tried felt really bad even compared with the QN900B. Already returned two Neo G9 57", one even had broken screw threads.

What a horror show...... thankfully *knock on wood* my 57" has been perfect these last two weeks and it may be my favorite display ever.

I think best buy got loaded up with a bunch of early 57" version 1.0 inventory, and it didn't sell well, so all these unsold ver 1.0 57's been sitting around in their warehouse just waiting to be purchased and then RMA'd back to Samslut.....but I don't think they counted on people with BB extended warranties constantly RMA'ing for all the other bad ver 1.0 inventory stock.

My theory when I bought mine, was to order direct from samslut and have it shipped from them (which took ELEVEN DAYS), instead of going with the super convenient Best Buy pickup option because I figured all the samslut inventory would have been refurbished or replaced out with repaired / updated / improved version 2.0..... maybe i'm right.....or maybe i'm lucky and got a good one.....or maybe i'm sitting on a ticking time bomb uggghhhhh

One quick question for Socali and other users..... did you all test with AMD cards and native 240hz or have you been limited with Nvidia cards like me? I ordered a 7900xt for my productivity rig to use native 240 resolution for desktop and old games like halo MCC.....and I was wondering if you all been having your issues at 120hz or 240hz??

Also, it doesn't seem like this display can do normal 16:9 4k240, because I get a ton of frame skipping when I try that with my 4090 and DP 1.4

Ohhh...I sold my spare Innocn 27" 4k160 already to another member here last week.

Any idea what your model # & manufacture dates were on all those shitpiles?
Mines new....Jan' 24
1712011107286.png

My model number was the same but manufacture date was December last year. What's strange is they have been on version CA01 since launch. Usually Samsung quickly puts out revisions. The Neo G9 OG and Neo G8 were on CA02 or CB01 (can't remember) within like 3-4 months.

I just don't have any luck with Samsung monitors.

That sucks ass...well....ill continue to stress test this thing....7900xt arrives later this week

View attachment 643958

hmm thinking abut it.

How do you get it for $1,400? I know you're active duty but I don't even see an option to put something like that in. Does that really take $400 off? I see it for $1,800 on Best Buy, $1,900 after tax.

How do you get it for $1,400? I know you're active duty but I don't even see an option to put something like that in. Does that really take $400 off? I see it for $1,800 on Best Buy, $1,900 after tax.
DONT BUY FROM BEST BUY, THEIR ENTIRE STOCK SEEMS TO BE VOODOO HEXED!!!

You register your account on Samsung.com if you are military/first responder/student etc and the discount price always comes up when you are logged in.

https://www.samsung.com/us/shop/offer-program/

One reason I almost always look for Samsung products first as the discounts stack. I love their clothes washer/dryers and their TV sets are great. But their monitors are always plagued with problems. The G8's scan-lines drove me crazy and I received TWO 49" SUW with undamaged boxes and both had cracked screens during transit.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240401_214018_WhatsApp.jpg

My friend and cousin managed to get the Neo G9 at the following price. January 2024 manufacturing dates. Only issue they've experiencing so far is flickering with G-Sync enabled so far.

Last edited:
View attachment 645212

My friend and cousin managed to get the Neo G9 at the following price. January 2024 manufacturing dates. Only issue they've experiencing so far is flickering with G-Sync enabled so far.
I'd buy one instantly if I could get it at that price. If Samsung can make money on these at those prices, then there's clearly a lot of air baked into their regular prices.

Here in Finland the lowest so far has been 2099 € and my workplace's Samsung store page doesn't even offer the 57" model as an option.

It was actually even cheaper than that. You could get it for $1039 with workplace discount and if you did the CS roulette to find an agent to give you a $50 promo that stacked early on it came out to sub $1000. 3% Rakuten cash back on top of that and it was like $960 pre tax. Also as people have noted, Samsung will give you a partial refund if you complain after it arrives about something just so that you keep it. Usually it's like 5%.

Samsung MSRP's are always a joke in North America at least. Real street price has always been 40-50% less within 3-6 months. At around $1000 its a bargain for what it offers.

That sucks ass...well....ill continue to stress test this thing....7900xt arrives later this week

This kind of thing was brought up in various threads lately....

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/s/lDXDQtfPZb

"Your gfx card has 4 display headers. Your 4k 240hz monitors take up 2 display headers each, leaving zero display headers for the 3rd monitor, resulting in no output. Even though you have enough ports on your gfx card to connect all 3 monitors, you're out of display headers, which are an internal component of the gfx card

You'd need to plug one of the three monitors into a second gfx card or if you have an onboard GPU, plug it into the motherboard"

. .

"Laughs in AMD.

Its a BANDWITH Issue.

From the 4090 product page.... specifications, scroll down for full specs, then scroll all the way down for the "extra small print" bullshit at the bottom....

>*4 - Multi Monitor:*

>4 independent displays at 4K 120Hz using DP or HDMI

>2 independent displays at 4K 240Hz or 8K 60Hz with DSC using DP or HDMI

>Other display configurations may be possible based on available bandwidth

**Other Display Configurations May Be Possible Based On Available Bandwidth**

that says it all. its 100% a "total bandwidth" issue. based on this info, looks like max bandwidth is around 160 Gbps.... hence 4k240 times two.... shame. nvidia fucks its customers once again.

EDIT: There is a chinese youtubers who when running THREE 8k60 TV's on a 3090, got consistent driver crashes. Running TWO Off HDMI 2.1 and the third off DP1.4. HE could either run all 3 off DP or only TWO off HDMI, due to some weird HDMI vs DP issue. dunno if it ever got fixed. Same video he switched to an AMD gpu, and ran all 3 8k tv's no issue. two display port to hdmi and one straight hdmi.... proving once again AMD is superior even though performance is a bit less.

OP Best bet? if the CPU supports displays, have one output via the motherboard and the other 2 off GPU. Or try to daisy chain.... OR get a second GPU."

Incredible value once you go under $1500 IMHO....that is if you get a good one ughhhh

Especially since you can save on going to the gym by just lugging around a couple of broken 57" monitors before you get one that works :D
Its only 40lbs, I snatched it right up and tossed on my desk!......*Laughs in FW900*

I legit had to dead lift the fw900 off the floor to my desk....more times than I can count cause I had two of them and moved three times in two years ugghhhh....

And nothing more awkward to move than my C1 77" oled.....paper thin, nowhere to really grab and requires 2-3 people due to its size

Xbr960 1080i/720p 34" widescreen Hdmi crt. 196 Lbs.
tv1-jpg.3153540

tv2-jpg.3153541

1000005294.jpg

1000005295.jpg

Fw900. 93 Lbs

914248_fw900.crt_sideways_1.jpg

Last edited:
It was actually even cheaper than that. You could get it for $1039 with workplace discount and if you did the CS roulette to find an agent to give you a $50 promo that stacked early on it came out to sub $1000. 3% Rakuten cash back on top of that and it was like $960 pre tax. Also as people have noted, Samsung will give you a partial refund if you complain after it arrives about something just so that you keep it. Usually it's like 5%.

Samsung MSRP's are always a joke in North America at least. Real street price has always been 40-50% less within 3-6 months. At around $1000 its a bargain for what it offers.

The black bezel InnoCN is currently on sale for $679: https://www.amazon.com/INNOCN-Compu...a33aeba00a0b6&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

But if you are able to get a 57" G9 for under $1000 then I'm not sure if the InnoCN is even worth it at that price.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The black bezel InnoCN is currently on sale for $679: https://www.amazon.com/INNOCN-Compu...a33aeba00a0b6&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

But if you are able to get a 57" G9 for under $1000 then I'm not sure if the InnoCN is even worth it at that price.
Nah I don't have access to the special employee discount. Lowest I can get is like $1300 but I'm not going to bother right now because whatever gets shipped to me will he some QC nightmare.

I'm going to look into that Innocn. Wonder if the black version is any different than the silver considering it's always commanding a higher price.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nah I don't have access to the special employee discount. Lowest I can get is like $1300 but I'm not going to bother right now because whatever gets shipped to me will he some QC nightmare.

I'm going to look into that Innocn. Wonder if the black version is any different than the silver considering it's always commanding a higher price.

It's only a $20 difference so I think they're just trying to nickel and dime people for the better aesthetic. I'm still happy with mine after over a year with it. HFW looks waaaay more epic on this display vs my QD OLED during daytime cycles! Sure it won't hit 1600 nits like a PG32UQX but it still does a respectable 1200.

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    622.5 KB · Views: 0
Are you talking about the 57"
If yes, I totally agree! HFW with a bit of reshade tweaking looks bloody gorgeous on my 57".

I went and looked at my friends new 49" Oled G9, and I could not believe how crap (besides the shadows in caves) it looked compared to this 57" NG9. To me, Oled isn't everything anymore. I use to be a massive oled fan boy. But, now the tables have turned quick.
20240329_115413.jpg

Yeah I forgot to mention they got those discounts as well. I think their all-in price was around $1,070 taxes included. What a far cry from the $3K 144Hz Pg32UQX. I actually wanna see higher zone count FALD monitors now since the price has come down so much. Between the MiniLED and OLED, there's finally some great movement in the PC display arena.

I was an OLED fanboy too but saw the light (literally) when I put my PG32UQX up against my C2. RTX HDR is a total game changer too.

Back