Samsung Odyssey: 49" 5120x1440, 240 Hz, HDR1000

Nobody is trolling. Most are just cautious with manufacturer claims, because most were burned before by those. Those comparisons come from TFTCentral, a reputable review site that mostly gets things right. I've been burned by VAs that got good reviews there as well, with no mention of visible ghosting which ended up ghosting badly in person. Display tech is very rarely jumping big steps in 1 year. Hell, VA haven't managed to solve ghosting in the last 20 years, so excuse us for being skeptic until reputable sites actually report on there being an actual break through...

what you are saying is different than what he is saying, he's purposely posting false information, i looked at his history, he's been here for a while and knows things, so he's not dumb to post wrong info.

I can care less what brand monitor it is, or if its va, ips, tn, oled. I bought this based on what other owners were saying in Asia, they had theirs much earlier than here in US, it had great results and specs that i been wanting for so long, so i went to Bestbuy and got one, and everything that was said about it was true, and kept it.

i own the monitor and everything he's saying is wrong, so lets see if he keeps posting nonsense based off some 1080p lower end model from last year.

Don't get me wrong, i know about VA drawbacks, if this thing performed like some other VA panels with trailing, ghosting, black smearing etc, i would of returned it the same day. But it truly is an awesome gaming monitor.

Last edited:
That is a total different panel from last year, that one is advertised with 4ms, this years G7 and G9 from the Odyssey lineup is 1ms, complete different panel, stop trolling.

Have you even done some reading on G7 and G9, plenty of videos on youtube and articles, at 240hz it is incredibly fast, no trailing, smearing or perceivable ghosting.

you even went as far to compare a 1080p panel from last year to just released G9 with like 5000x1440p resolution, what is the matter with you?

that is like someone taking the recent 3840x1600 LG 38GL950G monitor and compare it to some low end LG from last year and claim that is what the latest is going to be like, what is wrong with you?

The only thing "wrong" with me is knowing infinitely more about displays than you.

Anyone who quotes marketed pixel speeds is out of their depth when discussing displays.

It will be hilarious when published measured pixel speeds for this "magic" VA panel come out and make you look stupid. It will still be clearly slower than TN and fast IPS panels in pixel transitions.

The only thing "wrong" with me is knowing infinitely more about displays than you.

Anyone who quotes marketed pixel speeds is out of their depth when discussing displays.

It will be hilarious when published measured pixel speeds for this "magic" VA panel come out and make you look stupid. It will still be clearly slower than TN and fast IPS panels in pixel transitions.

so lets say it ends up being slower than the fastest TN or IPS by a small margin, the monitor sucks, right?

and nobody here is saying it is a magic VA, except you, you are hyping it to that degree, for your own amusement down the road.

You said:
no smearing reported by people who actually own it, stop trolling.

Which will 100% be proven to be not true once an actual review site like TFTCentral or Prad.de does measurements.

You said:

Which will 100% be proven to be not true once an actual review site like TFTCentral or Prad.de does measurements.

instruments will always will pick up LCD drawbacks, ain't that the case for every display? lol

I see no perceivable black smearing on my G7 like with previous VA panels I used, smearing was clearly visible to the naked eye but on this one.

Nobody here is saying that instruments that measure monitors will detect all 0's for input lag, pixel response, etc on this monitor.

stop with the nonsense.

Last edited:
instruments will always will pick up LCD drawbacks, ain't that the case for every display? lol

I see no perceivable black smearing on my G7 like with previous VA panels I used, smearing was clearly visible to the naked eye but on this one.

Nobody here is saying that instruments that measure monitors will detect all 0's for input lag, pixel response, etc on this monitor.

stop with the nonsense.

If the G7 actually manages to have no smearing then hey that's truly awesome. Look you gotta understand why everyone is so skeptical about this, so far as of 2020 none of the VA monitors reviewed by TFTCentral and PCMonitors have zero black smearing. Here are the last 3 VA monitor reviews from TFTC with response time charts:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/coolermaster_gm34-cw.htm#gaming
1594849010309.png

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/coolermaster_gm27-cf.htm#detailed_response
1594849020201.png

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_c27rg50.htm#response_times
1594849033295.png

And here are the last 3 VA monitor reviews from PCMonitors with pursuit photos:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-cq27g2u-cq27g2/#Responsiveness
1594849073250.png

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-cu34g2x/#Responsiveness
1594849087709.png

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-346b1c/#Responsiveness
1594849099715.png

So as you can see, no VA panel of 2020 so far is completely free of black smearing. Yes I fully understand that the VA panel in the G7 is NOT the same panel as these monitors, it is a brand new one of it's own so indeed it may be the very first VA to have zero smearing just as you claim. But until we see some response time charts and/or pursuit photos, you gotta understand that THIS is why we remain skeptical. Again I am NOT trying to say that you are wrong or that are you lying, I'm just giving you the reason for everyone's skepticism on this monitor that's all.

Last edited:
And that ~40ms 'highest' rating?

You're going to see that. I was hoping I wouldn't, and I was wrong.

This is about G7 Odyssey, not RG50, and nobody here said that you wouldn't see it, I tested the RG50 monitor my self, black smearing was clearly visible.

The G7 that I have right now has no visible black smearing.

If the G7 actually manages to have no smearing then hey that's truly awesome. Look you gotta understand why everyone is so skeptical about this, so far as of 2020 none of the VA monitors reviewed by TFTCentral and PCMonitors have zero black smearing. Here are the last 3 VA monitor reviews from TFTC with response time charts:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/coolermaster_gm34-cw.htm#gaming
View attachment 261945

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/coolermaster_gm27-cf.htm#detailed_response
View attachment 261946

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_c27rg50.htm#response_times
View attachment 261947

And here are the last 3 VA monitor reviews from PCMonitors with pursuit photos:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-cq27g2u-cq27g2/#Responsiveness
View attachment 261948

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-cu34g2x/#Responsiveness
View attachment 261949

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-346b1c/#Responsiveness
View attachment 261950

So as you can see, no VA panel of 2020 so far is completely free of black smearing. Yes I fully understand that the VA panel in the G7 is NOT the same panel as these monitors, it is a brand new one of it's own so indeed it may be the very first VA to have zero smearing just as you claim. But until we see some response time charts and/or pursuit photos, you gotta understand that THIS is why we remain skeptical. Again I am NOT trying to say that you are wrong or that are you lying, I'm just giving you the reason for everyone's skepticism on this monitor that's all.

You can have a VA monitor where you cant see any black smearing, but it can still be picked up with an instrument. Example, them new LG monitors, they are extremely fast, i wasn't able to see any ghosting when i tested one at Microcenter, but instruments still picked up 3-4ms. But i say so what, it wasn't visible to me, that is what matters the most. There will never be a VA panel that is completely free of black smearing when measured with instruments, same with IPS, and TN with motion blur.

Vega is clearly making statements here how the G7 and G9, and which i own G7 will be as bad as older models, complete nonsense.

Last edited:
You can have a VA monitor where you cant see any black smearing, but it can still be picked up with an instrument. Example, them new LG monitors, they are extremely fast, i wasn't able to see any ghosting when i tested one at Microcenter, but instruments still picked up 3-4ms. But i say so what, it wasn't visible to me, that is what matters the most. There will never be a VA panel that is completely free of black smearing when measured with instruments, same with IPS, and TN with motion blur.

Vega is clearly making statements here how the G7 and G9, and which i own G7 will be as bad as older models, complete nonsense.

Laugh. I never said the G7 and G9 were as "bad as older models". Now you are making up nonsense. All sample-and hold LCDs have smear, and all strobe LCD's have cross-talk. VA will still be the slowest panel type. The G7 and G9 will not change that. It depends on where the threshold is for each individual as to what's "good enough". It also doesn't change the fact that LCD is the bottom of the barrel in the display world.

To be fair, if you don't have a reference display with fast response times right next to it, it can be actually hard to tell the difference. I thought my CRG9 had no issues with black smearing and response times because I did not see the problems that my KS8000 had in that regard. I was coming from a fast TN panel and only when I put it right next to the CRG9 and played the same game in mirror mode could I notice that the TN panel stayed more sharp in movement. In the same vein it took me a while to figure out where to see black smearing, to me it was still only noticeable when in dark mode and scrolling stuff on the desktop.

If the G7/G9 just uses more aggressive overdrive without having significant overshoot it would do well. Maybe not as well as a TN or LG nano-cell IPS, but really good for a VA. Then it will have the G9's unique form factor as well as VA contrast ratio as well as mediocre but usable HDR in one package.

Reactions: Aix.
like this
This does not bode well methinks

If I had to guess, it's probably due to the "slight flickering effect in HDR" that Linus noticed even in his brief unboxing video of the G9:

I have a buddy that works at Samsung though so I'm seeing if he's heard anything.

If the G9 is identical to the G7 then yeah it's a whole new animal.

I been trying to convince people like how good my G7 is and the feedbacks were like from Vega's, bu bu bu bu its just another VA panel, bu bu bu its just some crappy VA panel from last model bla bla bla.

I hope this video stops him trolling something he doesn't own.

Last edited:
I been trying to convince people like Vega how good my G7 is and feedbacks were like from Vega's, bu bu bu bu its just another VA panel, bu bu bu its just some crappy VA panel rom last year's model bla bla bla.

I hope this video stops him trolling something he doesn't own.

I really wish Samsung had made this monitor years ago. It took way too long to get a VA this fast IMO. I absolutely hate edge lit IPS panels for gaming so I root for VA's whenever I can, they've just always been held back by a few things like black smearing and Samsung has finally fixed it. Samsung could now help with the other problems like BLB and uniformity by making the panel flat instead. Of course I'm pretty sure even if they do that then all the IPS fanboys are gonna start banging on the viewing angles drum 🙄. Still, good job Samsung.

I really wish Samsung had made this monitor years ago. It took way too long to get a VA this fast IMO. I absolutely hate edge lit IPS panels for gaming so I root for VA's whenever I can, they've just always been held back by a few things like black smearing and Samsung has finally fixed it. Samsung could now help with the other problems like BLB and uniformity by making the panel flat instead. Of course I'm pretty sure even if they do that then all the IPS fanboys are gonna start banging on the viewing angles drum 🙄. Still, good job Samsung.

In the comments section someone posted why he showed contrast ratio only after the calibration and not out of the box, interesting. It is known that contrast ratio drops a lot on some monitors after the calibration.

Of course I'm pretty sure even if they do that then all the IPS fanboys are gonna start banging on the viewing angles drum 🙄.
Have a ten year old IPS (ZR30w) on my wife's desk next to my LG 32GK850G; the differences are stark with respect to color and viewing angles. The old panel calibrates to 100% SRGB in one pass, the VA... doesn't calibrate. The IPS exhibits great color uniformity when shifting viewing angles, the VA? Yeah :).

Now, that IPS is so old that it's response time overall is perhaps only slightly better than the worst response time on the VA, but that VA response time is worst when going from dark to light, and well, it's just so damn obvious. Not game-breaking of course, but very present.

To bring it a bit more into perspective: I have a pair of 24" 1080p IPS monitors, Acer bargain-bin $100 black-Friday jobs that I put on arms, and those look almost as good as the aging professional panel.

For me, for VA to really be acceptable for a broad range of applications, I'd need the black smearing to be controlled, which Samsung seems to have made progress on per this thread, and I'd need the color to be stable enough that the panel could be calibrated and reasonably used for even amateur color work. Close would be nice -- VA is generally in another damn country, at least as implemented in consumer displays.

In the comments section someone posted why he showed contrast ratio only after the calibration and not out of the box, interesting. It is known that contrast ratio drops a lot on some monitors after the calibration.
That just means that the contrast ratio isn't 'real'. If they have to bend the color response curves to get their numbers, manufacturers are cheating quite a bit.

Granted I'd assume that if it's not too bad, that it won't matter for most consumer usecases. Still, it's frustrating that asking a display to output red, green, and blue, as actually red and green and blue pushes them 'over the edge' with respect to meeting their marketing numbers.

Reactions: Ors
like this
Have a ten year old IPS (ZR30w) on my wife's desk next to my LG 32GK850G; the differences are stark with respect to color and viewing angles. The old panel calibrates to 100% SRGB in one pass, the VA... doesn't calibrate. The IPS exhibits great color uniformity when shifting viewing angles, the VA? Yeah :).

Now, that IPS is so old that it's response time overall is perhaps only slightly better than the worst response time on the VA, but that VA response time is worst when going from dark to light, and well, it's just so damn obvious. Not game-breaking of course, but very present.

To bring it a bit more into perspective: I have a pair of 24" 1080p IPS monitors, Acer bargain-bin $100 black-Friday jobs that I put on arms, and those look almost as good as the aging professional panel.

For me, for VA to really be acceptable for a broad range of applications, I'd need the black smearing to be controlled, which Samsung seems to have made progress on per this thread, and I'd need the color to be stable enough that the panel could be calibrated and reasonably used for even amateur color work. Close would be nice -- VA is generally in another damn country, at least as implemented in consumer displays.

I bet 90% of people who would buy a G7 probably don't even own a colorimeter and probably also love oversaturated gamer colors. Getting it calibration friendly is the least of Samsungs concerns given that it was never even marketed for professionals who want perfect calibration in the first place.

ouch, lol

Last edited:
I bet 90% of people who would buy a G7 probably don't even own a colorimeter and probably also love oversaturated gamer colors. Getting it calibration friendly is the least of Samsungs concerns given that it was never even marketed for professionals who want perfect calibration in the first place.
I really don't disagree.

I just dislike the trend of displays being difficult to calibrate in the first place. It's something that I had hoped would be figured by now, i.e., as display technology moves toward color data technology that provides for capture-to-consumption color definition, display manufacturers would have presets where SRGB is actually SRGB.

Well I think they are doing that now with Vesa DisplayHDR.

Once you enable it in the monitor, it locks out most picture settings, so you are getting a good baseline.

To be fair VAs are also cheaper than IPS. Personally I can live with the black crush and color shift of VA screens in my preferred size (32" 16:9). What I never could get used to was banding (most visible on grays, not sure how this is on the Samsung, all VAs I had showed some of this though they were all "cheaper" models) and the black smear which Samsung seem to really got under control now, 14ms worst case is still a spike but is less than half of most other VAs so hopefully it's enough to not be visible to the naked eye in motion anymore (on the UFO it's still clearly there, the black trailing somewhat, but it's very short this time around (except on the very first, that might still be picked up by the naked eye but I would need to see it in person to determine how bad)).

While I would still most likely prefer an IPS (my only complaint with those performance wise is the IPS glow, which would probably be a problem on 32") I can't really justify their cost to myself if I can get a VA for half the price that doesn't smear. Now all I need Samsung to do is make a 32" 4k flat panel with this tech and give it to other OEMs as well so they make a non HDR display with it for me to buy :)

Last edited:

I really want to know the panels native contrast ratio too. He was screwing around on some kind of brightness slider to fix his gamma and this made me wonder if he managed to increase his black level in the process.

Also if you ask me, 2.3 flat gamma is okay in my book. Being a movie freak I calibrate my screens to 2.3-2.4 gamma anyway because I always watch movies and play games in the dark. 2.2 tends to be too bright in those enviroments.

If the G9 is identical to the G7 then yeah it's a whole new animal.

Interesting. Although he still says TN has better overall motion clarity and the G7 still has some black smear (15ms slowest transition) and some overshoot. So 240 Hz TN still better. To get those VA speeds, looks like Samsung had to neuter/loosen their VA pixel matrix which lets more light through to get the worst VA contrast ratio tested along with the worst back-light bleed tested. Call it VA "light".

Last edited:
Interesting. Although he still says TN has better overall motion clarity and the G7 still has some black smear (15ms slowest transition) and some overshoot. So 240 Hz TN still better. To get those VA speeds, looks like Samsung had to neuter/loosen their VA pixel matrix which lets more light through to get the worst VA contrast ratio tested along with the worst back-light bleed tested. Call it VA "light".

The contrast is definitely on the low side by VA standards. But remember it's still about 3x better than the fastest IPS panel which is the LG 27GL850 (700:1 contrast). Not to mention it's delivering 3x the contrast while destroying it when it comes to response times.

LG:
2019-09-12-image-3.png

1594936852247.png

The G7 at 165Hz obliterates the LG at 144Hz. Samsung can probably help with BLB and uniformity by using a flat panel too. If they released a 27" FLAT version that tops out at 165Hz with the same fantastic performance as the G7 and target a $500 price point, no more reason to buy any trash IPS panel in that price range, especially the LG nanocell IPS.

Attachments

• 1594936760010.png
    1594936760010.png
    246.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If they released a 27" FLAT version that tops out at 165Hz with the same fantastic performance as the G7 and target a $500 price point, no more reason to buy any trash IPS panel in that price range, especially the LG nanocell IPS.
I'd be happy with that IPS... depending on how well Samsung cleaned up their VA act.

One thing I hold against VA panels: that 'superior' contrast ratio comes into effect with the slowest response times. An IPS might only hit 1000:1, but those darkest transitions will retain all of their detail!

The contrast is definitely on the low side by VA standards. But remember it's still about 3x better than the fastest IPS panel which is the LG 27GL850 (700:1 contrast). Not to mention it's delivering 3x the contrast while destroying it when it comes to response times.

LG: View attachment 262276

View attachment 262271

The G7 at 165Hz obliterates the LG at 144Hz. Samsung can probably help with BLB and uniformity by using a flat panel too. If they released a 27" FLAT version that tops out at 165Hz with the same fantastic performance as the G7 and target a $500 price point, no more reason to buy any trash IPS panel in that price range, especially the LG nanocell IPS.

Be VERY cautious about those numbers since he also shows the UFO pursuit ghosting test and to be frank the numbers don't add it up with what the camera sees:

Attachments

• g7pursuit.png
    g7pursuit.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Be VERY cautious about those numbers since he also shows the UFO pursuit ghosting test and to be frank the numbers don't add it up with what the camera sees:

Did a bit more digging into this guy's monitor reviews and they are NOT to be trusted! For one example, in the LG 27GL850 review he is reporting HALF the response times and overshoot error as rtings! Yikes!
Hardware Unboxed (at 4:12 in):
Rtings: 27gl850-tables-max-fast-large.jpg

Did a bit more digging into this guy's monitor reviews and they are NOT to be trusted! For one example, in the LG 27GL850 review he is reporting HALF the response times and overshoot error as rtings! Yikes!
Hardware Unboxed (at 4:12 in):
Rtings: View attachment 262340

Well TFTCentral's results don't match up with RTings and matches more closely to HUB making to 2 to 1. Looks like RTings are the ones who cannot be trusted.

Attachments

• 20200716_232024.jpg
    20200716_232024.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 0
Rtings, TFTCentral and HUB might use different ways to measure these things. Rtings is the only one without TestUFO pursuit camera tests and instead I think they do a similar one with their own logo. I would consider all of them trustworthy sources

Back