Samsung new PVA screens

The "best" attribute of VA technology just happens to be it's major flaw. Sure, they have great black levels, at the cost of crush. What's wrong though, is they only crush when viewed head on. The outer portions of the screen have more detail and don't crush while viewing head on, so that there is what appears as a "shadow" in the middle of the image. This is especially evident on grey backgrounds and dark images with uniform horizontal detail.

IPS have no issues with backlights, they use the same backlights as all other panel types. IPS panels have traditionally not blocked the backlight as well as VA, thus black levels have suffered. But that has been changing, the new H-IPS in the HP LP2475w has produced some of the lowest black levels when calibrated at or near 120 cd/m2...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

"Best" is truly subjective, but there is no denying the flaw of VA technology. Some people are not bothered by it. But my money is on people that sit 2 feet in front of a monitor are going to notice it, and eventully get sick of it if they care about image quality.

Now on a TV that you sit 10+ feet from, it's not as much of an issue when sitting right infront of it anyway.

In regards to backlighting on IPS, I was not referring to what they use. I was referring to overall uniformity. Backlight uniformity of them just aren't up to par. Most VA panels I've seen have better uniformity.

I don't notice "black crush" on my 305t. I do heavily notice black crush on an older 21" samsung VA monitor I see my friend use (it's pretty bad on that), but I can't notice any on my 305t. It looks great...

You should stop posting comments on posters instead of posting on the topic.
My attitude is tests, measurements, pictures and videos.
I've posted links to illustrate that 2x2=4.
Neither 2709, nor 305T are any different in that regard - same PVA with black crush and colorshift.
It's not a matter of opinion - this is how a particular technology is designed. ABCs of LCD.
Opinion? Here you are.
In my opinion, 27"PVA (Dells, Samsung, Eizo) are good monitors. I like them. They occupy a certain niche in screen size and dot pitch, capable of relatively good colors and viewing angles, good for blu-ray and PS3, etc.
But one should be a zero noob to deny facts about standard limitations that panel technology puts on them: black crush of dark tones (can be relieved by screwing gamma curve at the cost of whiter black and lower CR), colorshift from vieving angles (not curable), color gamut issue.
If you can live without quality "printed photo looking" picture - those are stiil good in my opinion (even with PVA limitations).

Sorry, we cannot debate LCD basics in every thread. All tutorials are published already.
Detailed review of a PVA monitor.
If someone believes that 2x2 is not 4 - that's someone's own problem.

First of all, you are part of this THREAD, and you are part of the topic, so comments on how you comment on LCD technology are fair game.

Second of all, I KNOW about the limitations of VA technology. Yes, I do notice more colorshift on my 305t than my former IPS monitors. I did not deny that or some of its other limitations. There's a difference between you and me, however. You're the type of person who'll actually sit down and look for defects in your monitor and criticize the hell out of it to the point where you can't use it to get your work done. I just look at a monitor and see if I like the picture, and if I do, I'm good to go. I'm not going to sit there and look for shit and go "OMFG the colors shifted when I moved my head 10 inches to the right."

Look, in for the most part, LCD technology has several limitations, no matter what panel type. So once again, I will get what looks BEST to my eyes. You will not find a perfect LCD monitor, so you get whatever you like best for yourself.

Hell, a person could come out and say they prefer TN panels because they like the look of the inverted colors from wide angles because they "look cool." While, technically that is a limitation of a TN panel, someone else could look at it as a plus and prefer it. This is what I am trying to get to. People can live with certain things and prefer some things over others, and what is best is truly subjective. No where did I deny some of the limitations on certain panels.

For me, my biggest things are no aggressive antiglare coating that looks like dirt (which most IPS panels have), good backlight uniformity, and good blacks. So from my point of view, VA panels are better for my needs, and I'm willing to live with the limitations of VA panels (even though with any LCD panel type there will be limitations you need to deal with) But I will say, I view my monitor head on, so the worse viewing angles don't really matter to me. I also do notice if I look at a single block of color across the screen, the color will look very slightly different on different sides of the screen (no surprise as it is a 30" monitor) But I've seen that from IPS panels...and even crts. Nothing has been perfected yet, so that is why I think people should just get what they prefer, and there is no such thing as "best."

Last edited:
Some people get caught up in judging these LCD panels by tests, measurements, specifications, reviews etc. I fell into this trap too and thought that the only good panel in the whole world is the IPS panel when in fact the only real judge is my eyes and what looks good to me.
It would even get to a point where I would tell me eyes that they were lying if I was looking at some TN or even PVA/MVA type panel.
Over the years I have tried them all. As I have mentioned in previous posts even the TN panels have vastly improved over the original ones that were introduced. The viewing angles (if that is important to you) and color accuracies are looking good even next to a IPS panel.
There are bad TN panels and good TN panels and sometimes it takes awhile to find them. I had some that look terrible no matter how much you try to adjust it. The HP w2558hc (TN) that I have next to my Planar 2611 (IPS) gives me just about the same PQ at less than half the price.
I have also compared the Dell 2407WFP-HC and Benq 241 both of these PVA panels next to my Planar 2611 with the same results.

I am sure the Samsung 305t will make me very happy if I can ever get my hands on one.

Yes Im very picky about all my screens. I even have two Pioneer Plasma Kuros in the house which have yet to be beat by any flat screen to this day.

Well for me, VA color shift jumps out and clobbers me over the head. I had no idea it even existed when I bought my first LCD (Dell 2405) and it was among the top reasons I sold it about a week after buying it. For me this tires my eyes out/gives me headaches and I am not prone to headaches (maybe 1/year normally).

I got a "magic eye 3d" effect from the my PVA screens. The color shift was different in each eye and my brain processed that as 3d information. So for me PVA is just unusable. TN is actually better than VA for me. No one panel is the best for everyone. If VA didn't drive me nuts I would rate it higher than TN, so I can see why most people rate VA higher than TN. But for me it is the other way around.

At 30" I agree that IPS isn't great either. I had a Dell 3007-HC again for about a week. Screen uniformity was hideous. It had strong off axis white glow. It sucked royally but did not have traditional VA like color shift that give me headaches/fatigue. So if my 30" choices are poor quality IPS or VA, I drop to a different size to get a good quality IPS.

I have no loyalties either. If Samsung really fixed the viewing angle shift. I would be on board with them for my next monitor.

IPS have no issues with backlights, they use the same backlights as all other panel types. IPS panels have traditionally not blocked the backlight as well as VA, thus black levels have suffered.

The problem is actually the exact opposite. Non-black IPS pixels let LESS light through than PVA pixels. To achieve the same level of brightness for non-black pixels as achieved by PVA, IPS LCD backlights must be run much brighter than PVA LCD backlights. This creates multiple problems, including worse blacks and contrast ratios, more pronounced brightness uniformity issues, and higher heat production and power consumption.

"Best" is truly subjective, but there is no denying the flaw of VA technology. Some people are not bothered by it. But my money is on people that sit 2 feet in front of a monitor are going to notice it, and eventully get sick of it if they care about image quality.

No not really. I sit right infront of two P-MVA and H-IPS and atleast since the MVA is dead ahead i really do have to look and bob my head left and right to notice crush on darker screens, even panning the image to and fro my IPS screen. Point is, I work with photoshop, color inaccuracies drive me up the wall but its not something that would catches the eye. If you look at my LG from a far angle though it is noticeable and why my HP takes the right spot. Older VAs are worse offenders though, poorer contrast and blacks bring it out far more.

To achieve the same level of brightness for non-black pixels as achieved by PVA, IPS LCD backlights must be run much brighter than PVA LCD backlights. This creates multiple problems, including worse blacks and contrast ratios, more pronounced brightness uniformity issues, and higher heat production and power consumption.

including worse blacks
99517178cn1.jpg

and contrast ratios
27pva1.jpg

more pronounced brightness uniformity issues
PVA (Eizo) backlight bleed (from prad.de forum):
eizopva.jpg

PVA (Eizo) uneven color tint on white (from prad.de forum);
vacolorcontamination.jpg

Angle glow and uneven backlight on 27" PVA

higher heat production and power consumption

Screen Size>Panel>Model>Measured Brightness (screen)>Measured Power Consuption (prad.de)

26" IPS NEC 2690............ max 389 cd/m2.....88.3W
24" PVA Eizo HD2442W .. max 381 cd/m2.....87.3W
27" PVA Eizo SX2761W ... max 380 cd/m2 ....91.7W
27" PVA Dell 2709w ......... max 390 cd/m2 ..107.6W

30" IPS NEC 3090............ max 360cd/m2 ... 150W
30" IPS HP LP3065 ......... max 300cd/m2.... 142W
30" PVA Eizo SX3031W.... max 224cd/m2 ... 170W-manufacturer

99517178cn1.jpg

27pva1.jpg

PVA (Eizo) backlight bleed (from prad.de forum):
eizopva.jpg

PVA (Eizo) uneven color tint on white (from prad.de forum);
vacolorcontamination.jpg

Angle glow and uneven backlight on 27" PVA

Screen Size>Panel>Model>Measured Brightness (screen)>Measured Power Consuption (prad.de)

*facepalm*

My 305t is nothing like those panels--from any viewing angle. I could take a pic of my old 20" ACD, and it would have almost gray blacks, horrible uniformity, and put it next to my 305t--it would look like crap. Anyone can play that stupid game. For the most part, it is well known LG has quality control issues when it comes to uniform backlighting, and from an overall standpoint (not a lame comparison between only two monitors) PVA panels have better uniformity.

And just to prove my point (picture of H-IPS panel)
post-11142-1213711772_thumb.jpg

Once again, not one suit suits every occasion. It all depends on what monitor you have at hand.

You've made it clear you prefer IPS panels, which is fine with me. I don't care. Me, I personally prefer things on a case by case basis. When it comes to 30" monitors, I prefer the 305t. But if I had something smaller, I'd go for something like the 26" planar (which is H-IPS). Overall, however, I believe VA panels provide a better picture (as in prettiest to look at) and have less quality control issues than the LG ips panels have.

BTW, is it just me, or are pictures of monitors at night not really not an accurate representation compared to when you see it with your own eyes--I believe so.

Last edited:
Pictures will never tell the true story of how well a monitor really looks. You have to see it in person. Sure you may see some obvious flaws but not the "true picture"
I would never base my decision on some pictures someone has posted.

And backlight bleed, uneven colors etc etc etc can happen on any monitor whether it be IPS, PVA/MVA or TN.

People who own those panels don't see the things in your pictures. People who test these things don't see what you show. People who see IPS and PVA screens side by side make their choices and certainly a great many folks don't seem to see IPS as the almighty.

Albovin. Go buy a screen. Be happy. Your opinion is your own.

People who own those panels don't see the things in your pictures. People who test these things don't see what you show. People who see IPS and PVA screens side by side make their choices and certainly a great many folks don't seem to see IPS as the almighty.

Albovin. Go buy a screen. Be happy. Your opinion is your own.

There is no even a bit of my opinion here (except for one post where I underlined my opinion regarding 275T).
I don't share my opinion, I share information. Please, understand the difference.

There is no even a bit of my opinion here (except for one post where I underlined my opinion regarding 275T).
I don't share my opinion, I share information. Please, understand the difference.

the "information" you presented is something you agree with, so it is your opinion, too...

I'm not trying to constantly attack you or put you down here. I'm just trying to get you to see that sometimes people are happy with things that you may not be happy with.

I see, for some people it's soooo hard to tell a technical forum from a bazaar.
I am not "happy with things", I am happy with technology, math and engineering.
2x2=4
You have another opinion? Good for you. Have it. I am not going to persuade.
Feel free to attack "me" or put "me" down here 24/7. I don't care because there is nothing personal from me in this thread (except my time). I don't post pictures and video of myself, I don't post my height and weight.
I post technical info. Attack it and put it down.
To be honest it looks a little bit ridiculous but... you know..
I cannot and I am not going to change people. Time and experience will probably change.
Best regards.

Last edited:
I see, for some people it's soooo hard to tell a technical forum from a bazaar.
I am not "happy with things", I am happy with technology, math and engineering.
2x2=4
You have another opinion? Good for you. Have it. I am not going to persuade.
Feel free to attack "me" or put "me" down here 24/7. I don't care because there is nothing personal from me in this thread (except my time). I don't post pictures and video of myself, I don't post my height and weight.
I post technical info. Attack it and put it down.
To be honest it looks a little bit ridiculous but... you know..
I cannot and I am not going to change people. Time and experience will probably change.
Best regards.

Did you know 10X10=100?

Anyway, your technical info can basically be summed up like this:

"IPS--I just JIZZED in my pants"

"PVA-OMFG sucks"

"TN--OMFG sucks"

You post very biased information, and you don't take into account the needs of others. You present information in a way that shows what suits you best is what should suit everyone.

Hell, if I wanted, I could take those same panels you posted and find angles with a camera that would make the NEC look a lot worse than the Dell. Pictures do not give an accurate view of what is seen with our eyes (seriously look how many ugly girls make themselves look hot on myspace). It's a pretty simple concept, and what you posted is not technical at all.

9X9=81

10X10=100

5/5=1

Man I'm great at math...

:declineoftheinternet:

I don't know if that has to do with me, but I do believe that whole "jizz in my pants" thing is incredibly retarded. I was just trying to express how dumb (hence jizz in my pants) his approach is when it comes to recommending monitors for people.

Last edited:

http://img.publish.it168.com/2009/0428/images/1444603.jpg

Take a look at the person. I might get you to notice the absence of detail in her hair. I'm guessing this is a fairly good example of the VA trait where the presence of tones proximate to 0,0,0 black cannot be seen head-on.

here is a good thread on the subject. I think I actually admire this one compared to that deathmatch CRT thread. This trait does exist and I was able to catch a glimpse of it last time I was in front of a Samsung 40" model.

In fact, LG actually attacks the tech in its promotional material, here:

14mxm5k.png

seriously what the ****.

Blacks is IPS weakness, so a review showing a VA screen going grey at angle and saying IPS handles blacks better is wrong.

Even dead on my 2209wa cannot get black as dark as my MVA, but at angle especially when close to screen you get the silver shimmer people mention, this shimmer does not occur on my MVA. If I stand up in front of both screen with this website loaded (black bg), it goes greyish on the IPS and stays black on the MVA.

Trust your own eyes I think using pictures on review sites can clearly be misleading.

seems that panel discussions always start the flame-war....
be sure that I going to check what this new cPVA is and also check the new LG W2420P IPS type...
all this while waiting for OLED panels....

yes the proper question really is I guess.

whats different between PVA and cPVA, where is the cost cutting taking place? :)

You are listing the power consumption for the entire monitor. I was talking about the power consumption and heat related to the backlight itself, which is higher for IPS than PVA due to the need to run the CCFL much brighter in IPS panels.

The monitor power consumption is misleading. For example, you chose not to list the Samsung 305T (PVA) which is 130W - lower than the 150W for the NEC (IPS). The 305T is also lower than the SX3031W which uses the same LCD panel as the 305T...

If you are indeed so "facts" driven, why are you so selective in the information you provide (both pictures and numbers)?

seriously what the ****.

Blacks is IPS weakness, so a review showing a VA screen going grey at angle and saying IPS handles blacks better is wrong.

Trust your own eyes I think using pictures on review sites can clearly be misleading.

That picture reflects exactly what I see when looking at my NEC 2490 and my Samsung 37a530 (MVA). The NEC is stable at all angles, the samsung washes out to grey mush off angle.

I know the 2490 is somewhat unique among monitor, but when I compared the Samsung A530 against the 37" Panasonic with Alpha IPS in store this is again what I saw.

I have never seen a VA screen that didn't lose contrast off angle like this. I have seen a LOT of screens.

In your place I would be just quiet after posting that nonsense about "power consumption and heat related" comedy.

In your place I would be just quiet after posting that nonsense about "power consumption and heat related" comedy.

What happened? Suddenly ran out of "facts" to hide behind, so now the real person is showing his face?

If you don't want to see faces after your tremendous posts, please do your home work beforehand.
It's easy. For example, open prad.de, take the first IPS monitor you see in their list of tested monitors and compare with the first three VA monitors.
Compare and see that your pathetic theory "To achieve the same level of brightness...IPS LCD backlights must be run much brighter than PVA.... this creates multiple problems, including worse blacks...." is worth nothing.
If it's not enough for you, look up HP 2480ZX and Samsung XL** measurements. Do it yourself, visualguy.

To achieve the same level of brightness for non-black pixels as achieved by PVA, IPS LCD backlights must be run much brighter than PVA LCD backlights. This creates multiple problems, including worse blacks and contrast ratios, more pronounced brightness uniformity issues, and higher heat production and power consumption.

I would like to know what evidence you are basing this on? You called out someone else for pointing out that there is minimal difference in power consumption.

So where is the evidence backing your claim that IPS panels need more powerful backlighting (and produce more heat and draw more POWER) to produce the same light output?

I don't know the truth of this one, one way or the other, but if you are going to shoot down someone elses lack of evidence, perhaps you should provide some of your own. But I really can't see it being that different.

BTW: Here is a power series I ran on my screen when I first reviewed it. Anyone have a similar set for a PVA screen. A 24" PVA NEC might be ideal as they probably share some electronics, but I expect the backlight is the biggest factor.
backlightnq0.png

I didn't realize there's a IPS vs PVA flame war ;-)

At least everyone agrees TNs are crap!

Do this: go to any store and check out all panes. TNs. Go to another. TNs. And another and another and another. It's damn hard to find a place that would have anything other than TN screens on display. I wanted to see for myself what the difference is, but I can't (if anyone knows good computer stores in Geneva, please let me know!). Need to find Eizo retailer or something.

So, based on what I've read, my point is: buy an IPS = win, buy an VA = win, buy a TN = fail.

The usual argument is that IPS are better (which they might as well be) and PVA are almost as expensive as IPS. But here we have Samsung that's cPVA (whatever the c stands for) that's priced like TN. If you could buy 2 of those for a price of 1 IPS (or 4 of those for a price of the NEC!), and they are way better than TNs (although they have their own little problems) then that's pretty damn good for me!

I would like to know what evidence you are basing this on? You called out someone else for pointing out that there is minimal difference in power consumption.

I didn't say anything about "minimal difference". I said that monitor power consumption is not the same as backlight power consumption. Albovin picked a 30" PVA monitor (SX3031W) which has a higher advertised power consumption than a 30" IPS monitor (LCD3090WQXi), but there's a 30" PVA monitor (305T) which has a lower advertised power consumption than the LCD3090WQXi, which he chose not to mention.

Anyway, my focus is on the backlight power and heat, not the entire monitor which has other components. Also, any comparison has to be done at the same brightness level, and these advertised numbers don't give you that information.

My observations are based on studying these technologies. IPS cells have a smaller aperture because of the need for two electrodes in each cell. These electrodes block some of the light and also reflect some of it. If you want the evidence, you can read it at:

http://www.barco.com/barcoview/downloads/An_Introduction_to_IPS_pro_LCD_Technology.pdf

Read Pages 10 and 14. The paper talks explicitly about the need for brighter backlights for IPS due to the smaller cell aperture.

The paper also mentions the lower contrast ratio resulting from this property of IPS.

By the way, the higher the resolution of the panel per given size, the worse this problem gets.

Last edited:
http://www.barco.com/barcoview/downloads/An_Introduction_to_IPS_pro_LCD_Technology.pdf

Read Pages 10 and 14. The paper talks explicitly about the need for brighter backlights for IPS due to the smaller cell aperture.

The paper also mentions the lower contrast ratio resulting from this property of IPS.

By the way, the higher the resolution of the panel per given size, the worse this problem gets.

It explicitly states compared to TN. And the also note improvements in every generation.

You are a just speculating at this point. The biggest element of power draw is going to be the backlight. That is why I posted my power tests I did. I will bet compared to a 24" PVA the differences will be negligible.

I don't have a device for measuring power draw, so I can't run the tests even though I have the monitors. In terms of heat (which should correlate with power), there's no doubt - my 30" IPS monitors run much hotter than my 30" PVA monitors (LCD3090WQXi and 3008WFP vs. CG301W and 305T). Brightness is set to 100cd/m2 on all of them. The difference is very noticeable. It's so bad that if I turn on two 30" IPS monitors, my room temperature goes up. I can feel the heat radiating from the monitors when sitting in front of them. Much heat is dissipated from the top as well as the front (the panel itself). This is not the case with my 30" PVA monitors which run much cooler.

Both technologies have their advantages and disadvantages - I use both extensively. IPS in the winter, and PVA in the summer :cool:

I don't have a device for measuring power draw, so I can't run the tests even though I have the monitors. In terms of heat (which should correlate with power), there's no doubt - my 30" IPS monitors run much hotter than my 30" PVA monitors (LCD3090WQXi and 3008WFP vs. CG301W and 305T). Brightness is set to 100cd/m2 on all of them. The difference is very noticeable. It's so bad that if I turn on two 30" IPS monitors, my room temperature goes up.

Wow and you accuse Albovin of making tilted comparisons. In that comparison you have the NEC IPS which has almost no backlight control and is running the backlight near full on all the time. The minimum brightness of the NEC is 242 cd/m2.

Even worse, you know this. Just a tad disingenuous.

Last edited:
Wow and you accuse Albovin of making tilted comparisons. In that comparison you have the NEC IPS which has almost no backlight control and is running the backlight near full on all the time.

CCFLs have a limited brightness range. There's a problem with attenuating high-brightness CCFLs to achieve low brightness.

The heat/power problem is indeed not as bad with smaller and lower-resolution panels. At 30", it's very obvious. I noticed the difference on 20" and 24" panels as well, but I agree that it's much less of a problem there - not enough to heat my room!

The extra real-estate of 30" panels is wonderful - I'd like to see even larger and higher-resolution panels.

The Panasonic 37" Alpha IPS had superb viewing angles .

GAWD I love my Alpha IPS Panasonic. There is only noticeable shift if you are only a few inches away from the screen and your eyes are above the top edge or below the bottom edge. That's not even a realistic viewing position! and it gets so sickeningly sharp, that I have it set to - 11 so that it looks great. Even at "0" its too much! Zero backlight bleed. Nice natural colors, though pure yellow (like a car's paint) does blow out a little bit. Black levels are competitive with other good LCDs, but probably not as good as the very best and definitely doesn't touch a decent Plasma screen.

That picture reflects exactly what I see when looking at my NEC 2490 and my Samsung 37a530 (MVA). The NEC is stable at all angles, the samsung washes out to grey mush off angle.

I know the 2490 is somewhat unique among monitor, but when I compared the Samsung A530 against the 37" Panasonic with Alpha IPS in store this is again what I saw.

I have never seen a VA screen that didn't lose contrast off angle like this. I have seen a LOT of screens.

I havent seen any LCD full stop that doesnt lose contrast at angle.
My VA will lose a bit but it certianly doesnt look anything like in that picture, it will still look very close to black.
The IPS is a different story tho, will have obvious silver shimmer affect off angle when close to the screen. This is what shocked me on the picture.

I guess every monitor is different so having a good VA wont mean all VA are good and likewise for IPS, seems it is a real lottery out there.

I don't have a device for measuring power draw, so I can't run the tests even though I have the monitors. In terms of heat (which should correlate with power), there's no doubt - my 30" IPS monitors run much hotter than my 30" PVA monitors (LCD3090WQXi and 3008WFP vs. CG301W and 305T). Brightness is set to 100cd/m2 on all of them. The difference is very noticeable. It's so bad that if I turn on two 30" IPS monitors, my room temperature goes up. I can feel the heat radiating from the monitors when sitting in front of them. Much heat is dissipated from the top as well as the front (the panel itself). This is not the case with my 30" PVA monitors which run much cooler.

Both technologies have their advantages and disadvantages - I use both extensively. IPS in the winter, and PVA in the summer :cool:

I will back you up, my 2209wa feels like a radiator if I put my hand on the top vent, if I do the same on my VA its cool to touch.

IPS and VA both beat TN by a mile, I think the difference between the 2 on the naked eye is not large, IPS probably better for photo editing,desktop and games and VA better for movies.

Still waiting to see what a cPVA is like tho. :)

I havent seen any LCD full stop that doesnt lose contrast at angle.
My VA will lose a bit but it certianly doesnt look anything like in that picture, it will still look very close to black.

They all lose contrast, but VA loses more, that is pretty much the defining characteristic.

I shot of my NEC 24" IPS monitor vs my 37" Samsung TV. The TV has better black level, double the contrast, but you wouldn't know if you walk out of it's sweet spot. It just looks so blah when it washes out.

I have seen this washout on every VA panel and TV I have seen. Dozens of them at this point. The best monitor I have seen is my NEC, the best TV was the Panasonic Alpha IPS.

SamSpace.jpg
SamSpaceB.jpg

If I had a decent cam I would show you pics of mine.

Basically my VA I can stand up and to the side and black stays black, I have been watching movies in bed on it for 2 years below the screen and to the side with no obvious distortion.

The IPS I immediatly noticed the silver shimmer affect on blacks when off angle, and I only have to be slightly off angle, luckily this affect goes away when a distance from the screen so I can still watch movies in bed.

The IPS is of course also poorer on blacks dead on due to the strong backlight, so even if my VA were to lose a bit of black contrast it would be just letting the IPS catchup.

What I will say tho is the IPS wins hands down on brighter colours and text is sharper on the desktop, I also get no lag at all on my IPS on the desktop.

I am guessing your IPS has a a polarizer thing fitted? mine doesnt.

I dont go by charts or tests or pictures. I go by what looks good to my eyes.
I just want my Samsung 305t............:mad:

Back