Samsung New 120Hz 3D Models S23A750, S27A750, S23A950 and S27A950

What will back-lit monitors do for a TN panel exactly. Nullify backlight bleed, and improve the quality of dynamic contrast? Will it help viewing angles any?

Yes, it (should) nullify backlight bleed and help dynamic contrast alot. I dont know about viewing angles but if you look at hi-res videos from CES 2011 you can see that these monitors have excellent viewing angles, black levels and generally great picture quality/colors (samsung claims 100% sRGB coverage). They also say that its not only their top-of-the-line 3d monitor, but the top 2d as well.

According to samsung its not just any TN panel, quoting the samsung representative at CES its a "proprietary, samsung only" "best possible" TN panel, and judging by the footage i agree.

Well shoot, was gonna plop my money down on a plasma this weekend. Guess i'll wait some more heh.

I just talked to one of my previous buyers on overclock.net (Who lives in Korea) and he says with the current exchange rates it costs $615 USD (Give or take 10ish)

I'm going to be having him ship it. That's a great price as long as shipping is under $100.

Yeah that is a really good price. Are they already selling the S23A950 and S27A950 series in Korea? I knew they were selling the T series...

I'm reading some more speculation on release dates... Now I'm seeing June sometime. First they said March... then April... Then May for sure.... lol.

Ohhh... and anyone have any speculation on how much a S23A750 will cost? I would rather have the smaller guy :)

I'm reading some more speculation on release dates... Now I'm seeing June sometime. First they said March... then April... Then May for sure.... lol.

Ohhh... and anyone have any speculation on how much a S23A750 will cost? I would rather have the smaller guy :)

The pricing here is 6000SEK for the 27" 950 and 4000SEK for the 23" 750.

So roughly 2/3 of the S27A950D's price (maybe $500?)

Remember that the 750 doesn't have dl-dvi, only displayport and as far as i can tell there are no dl-dvi -->DP active adaptors, only vice versa (but perhaps they are 2-way, noone can confirm that though). So be careful with the 750-models unless your gfx card has DP-out.
There is a 23" 950 which has dl-dvi but its not being released here it seems.

Last edited:
Only thing these monitors seem to be missing is a passive scanning backlight, not tru-motion but the thing that nullifies sample-and-hold without causing input lag.

Yeah that is a really good price. Are they already selling the S23A950 and S27A950 series in Korea? I knew they were selling the T series...

I'll ask him - He's currently out getting measurements from an electronics shop to see what shipping will cost.

I would look myself but he seems to know all kinds of Korean electronic sites (think Newegg) and I unfortunately can't speak Korean, lol.

I specifically want the T-Series because I am interested in the component inputs.

Response time listed as 3ms for anyone wondering. Also to the guy who quoted me earlier saying the T27A950 doesn't support 3D...
http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/...r/LT27A950AA/XS/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

Looks like it supports 3D via HDMI 1.4, which is exactly what I am looking for.

I'll ask him - He's currently out getting measurements from an electronics shop to see what shipping will cost.

I would look myself but he seems to know all kinds of Korean electronic sites (think Newegg) and I unfortunately can't speak Korean, lol.

I specifically want the T-Series because I am interested in the component inputs.

Response time listed as 3ms for anyone wondering. Also to the guy who quoted me earlier saying the T27A950 doesn't support 3D...
http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/...r/LT27A950AA/XS/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

Looks like it supports 3D via HDMI 1.4, which is exactly what I am looking for.
It certainly supports 3d (most TV:s with hdmi 1.4 do), and it can also convert 2d-3d in realtime, but no idea if it looks good or not.

It does not have any 120hz input however, only 60hz inputs so i dont understand why you want it instead of say, a 32" or 40" LED TV with the same inputs for the same price? (just curious)

It certainly supports 3d (most TV:s with hdmi 1.4 do), and it can also convert 2d-3d in realtime, but no idea if it looks good or not.

It does not have any 120hz input however, only 60hz inputs so i dont understand why you want it instead of say, a 32" or 40" LED TV with the same inputs for the same price? (just curious)

Input lag, actually replacing a television with it.

Input lag, actually replacing a television with it.

Ah, i see.. never knew anything about input lag on tv:s, they all have high values?
I guess the T-series has a use then after all, for console gamers.

Ah, i see.. never knew anything about input lag on tv:s, they all have high values?

Most of them have 20+ms of lag, My current television has tested versus my laptop's screen to have 30-50ms at all times no matter the connection or setting.

Planning on buying this one as I want a monitor the size of my TV (or close to it, I use a 32 inch)

It'll be used both for console and PC gaming.

I'm HOPING it's basically a monitor (in terms of quality and input lag) with all the features of a TV.

I hope you are right, i suspect its more like a tv though as it doesnt even have any monitor inputs.
Even some tvs have dvi-in.

Remember that the 750 doesn't have dl-dvi, only displayport and as far as i can tell there are no dl-dvi -->DP active adaptors, only vice versa (but perhaps they are 2-way, noone can confirm that though). So be careful with the 750-models unless your gfx card has DP-out.
There is a 23" 950 which has dl-dvi but its not being released here it seems.

Would that display port connect fine to a AMD 6990 "mini display port"? Was thinking I would have to buy an nvidia card for the 3d vision but now this is looking better I assume AMD cards would run fine on Samsungs 3d

Would that display port connect fine to a AMD 6990 "mini display port"? Was thinking I would have to buy an nvidia card for the 3d vision but now this is looking better I assume AMD cards would run fine on Samsungs 3d

Yes both those things should work fine. (mini DP is just a smaller contact for DP, same wiring etc).

I hope you are right, i suspect its more like a tv though as it doesnt even have any monitor inputs.
Even some tvs have dvi-in.

Most new LED monitors do not have DVI in. Just use the HDMI out on your video card.

Yes, it (should) nullify backlight bleed and help dynamic contrast alot. I dont know about viewing angles but if you look at hi-res videos from CES 2011 you can see that these monitors have excellent viewing angles, black levels and generally great picture quality/colors (samsung claims 100% sRGB coverage). They also say that its not only their top-of-the-line 3d monitor, but the top 2d as well.

According to samsung its not just any TN panel, quoting the samsung representative at CES its a "proprietary, samsung only" "best possible" TN panel, and judging by the footage i agree.
hype hype hype!

Get it at a place with a good return policy is all I'm sayin, it's samsung notorious liars. I'll wait for a real review.

hype hype hype!

Get it at a place with a good return policy is all I'm sayin, it's samsung notorious liars. I'll wait for a real review.

We always have 14-day full refund here by law :) Ill post some pictures and impressions when i get it.

Edit: delayed until 9th of june :(

Last edited:
We always have 14-day full refund here by law :) Ill post some pictures and impressions when i get it.

Edit: delayed until 9th of june :(

9th of June! Bummer! Well I am sure it will be worth the wait. I have come soooo close to buying another monitor instead of waiting for this bad boy... It always seems to be just a few weeks away from being available -- ever since January. I pity the folks who bought into Samsung's anouncement of a similar 27inch 3D monitor last year. That turned out to be total vaporware. At least we know this one is real.

Most new LED monitors do not have DVI in. Just use the HDMI out on your video card.

Can we agree that 24 Hz not enough for most games? Because that is all that HDMI displays will give you in 3D mode at Full HD resolutions. To get 60 Hz you will have to reduce resolution to 720p, which will reduce image quality and introduce input lag by activating the display's scaler. Further, those displays only support 60 Hz in 2D mode instead of 120 Hz. After all HDMI was created to get a stripped down DVI for consumer devices with cheaper connectors and cables. And now it is choking to support the required bandwidths.

Can we agree that 24 Hz not enough for most games? Because that is all that HDMI displays will give you in 3D mode at Full HD resolutions. To get 60 Hz you will have to reduce resolution to 720p, which will reduce image quality and introduce input lag by activating the display's scaler. Further, those displays only support 60 Hz in 2D mode instead of 120 Hz. After all HDMI was created to get a stripped down DVI for consumer devices with cheaper connectors and cables. And now it is choking to support the required bandwidths.

HDMI works just fine at 1920x1080x60p. If it's not working for you, there is something wrong with your setup. HDMI supports all the same bandwidth of single link DVI

Plus you get 2 Roy Orbinson battery specs free with any samsung display you buy.

1. Organization A states that a flow of 3 gallons per minute of oil will go down a tube

2. Company B builds a pipe to handle a flow of 3 gallons per minute

3. Organization A now decides that it will now send 5 gallons per minute down the tube.

Oops. Pipe has already been built, it just can't handle the additional oil flow.
That is what happened. New cables had to be made to handle more bandwidth, or existing ones had to be re-spec'd to state that they can't go as far with the higher speed signals.

Last edited:

games themselves have a input lag 4x more than the LCD itself so they are blaming the wrong people. Lower fps more input lag. Total input lag gets blamed on a LCD. When input lag of 250ms 50ms belong to the screen the rest thank the games encoding for it. It differs from game to game. Yet we put all that blame on a LCD. Sigh*

games themselves have a input lag 4x more than the LCD itself so they are blaming the wrong people. Lower fps more input lag. Total input lag gets blamed on a LCD. When input lag of 250ms 50ms belong to the screen the rest thank the games encoding for it. It differs from game to game. Yet we put all that blame on a LCD. Sigh*

Yes this is a huge problem with console games. Play the same game with a PC hooked to your HDTV and the lag will be much less. Thankfully, for MS and Sony, most people are complacent and used to it.

No sign yet of the S27A750 or S27A950 on Ebay. Even the T27A950's are drying up. Too bad they didn't make the T27A950 with dual-link DVI or Displayport -- good display got crippled beyond recovery.

yeah, Samsung said these would be out in March. perhaps the real reason for the delay in getting oled to market is not the tech rather that Samsung tends to drag their ass. :p

Yes this is a huge problem with console games. Play the same game with a PC hooked to your HDTV and the lag will be much less. Thankfully, for MS and Sony, most people are complacent and used to it.

yet pc owners still complain about input lag. I just think they're full of shit personally.

yet pc owners still complain about input lag. I just think they're full of shit personally.
So, you lack the observational skill to detect lag (doesn't mean you're abnormal) you have no grasp of the significance of the numbers, you ignore the history of analogue v. digital displays, kid yourself that once upon a time games had no inherent lag, that consoles and PC's somehow magically used to process everything instantly, and everyone else is full of shit?

You obviously don't have a full understanding of the issues, so perhaps you should stay out of the discussion of the topic and quit insulting people who do have a problem with input lag. FYI the issue with digital display lag is much wider than just games e.g. sports broadcasters have had to make significant changes due to this problem, like reposition many of the cameras at tennis stadiums because the digital monitors can't keep up with the action.

I agree, I think people definitely are more sensitive to lag than others. When V-Sync is enabled, it adds so much mouse lag that it ruins the gaming experience. Yet, other people keep it on and can not even notice much difference.

When input lag of 250ms 50ms belong to the screen the rest thank the games encoding for it. It differs from game to game. Yet we put all that blame on a LCD. Sigh*

200ms of game input lag = 5fps. I think someone needs to upgrade their PC.

I agree, I think people definitely are more sensitive to lag than others. When V-Sync is enabled, it adds so much mouse lag that it ruins the gaming experience. Yet, other people keep it on and can not even notice much difference.

I would rather not play games than play with V-Sync enabled. :(

vsync isn't that bad
you just need to disable triple buffering and have a fast enough computer to constantly be above the fps cap
i usually use it with 75hz tfts that have no input lag on their own

Any info on S23A950, think its more of a mainstream possibility for 120hz 2D interest. The 27" would be too big and costly for me.

No VESA capability Fuck me!!!! God damnit, shit, ++++, fuck! Id rather have a thicker screen but have it mountable.

Back