Samsung Most Preferred Consumer Electronics Brand

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Samsung has beat out the competition for the title of "most preferred consumer electronics brand" in the U.S. and Europe. Sony was second, HP third and Apple came in a distant fourth.

Forty-one percent of the more than six thousand respondents in the US and Europe said they probably or definitely would buy products made by Samsung. Sony/Sony Ericsson was the second most popular brand at 29 percent and was followed by HP (20 percent), Apple (19 percent), LG (18 percent), Panasonic (14 percent), Nokia (10 percent), Phillips (9 percent), Toshiba (7 percent), Dell (7 percent) and Acer (3 percent).

Dell beat out Acer more than 2:1? Sad, sad day. :( My Latitude- Latitude, mind you- was a smoldering pile, after which I started cautioning all of my friends/family off of Dell.

Quoting my college OMA professor: "Korea is Japanese quality at Chinese prices"

If choices are available, I will still choose Japanese brands over Korean ones...

I always bought Samsung TV's until they bailed on DLP. Now I buy Mitsubishi.

HP Laptop and Acer Tablet here. Nothing Samsung or Apple do I own.

If I were to put anybody up there it'd be Corsair and Asus, Samsung does deserve a nod just for the fact I own a Galaxy Nexus.

I'm not surprised at all by this. I love my Samsung n150 netbook and as for Dell beating out Acer, do you really need to even ask why?

The fact that a computer fails is an unfortunate reality. What's more important is how well the company handles warranty support. In that respect, I have a really good impression of Dell's business, enterprise, and home support. Acer, not so much.

ASUS tablet
3x Dell Laptops
Vizio TV's

I don't know anyone who has owned a sony product and is happy with it. Samsung, so far all are quite happy (me incl).

I have mixed emotions on Samsung, although I own a LOT of samsung stuff...

Samsung Washer & Dryer
Samsung Refrigerator
Samsung Plasma Tv
Samsung Plasma 3D Tv
Samsung BluRay Player x2
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Samsung Chromebook

(I think that is all my samsung crap).
I don't know where to start, I guess I will start out by saying, when Samsung is working, it works great. But here are my gripes.. They always seem to miss 'something', or leave something out.

1) Washer/Dryer - work great 5 years later, but you would have thought they could have worked around the mildew smell in front loading washers by now.
2) Fridge works great, except where is the night-light for getting water in the dark? None available for water/ice-maker.
3) Plasma TV #1 - This actually works pretty well and I am really impressed, but the sound quality blows. The speakers point back to the wall, and always seem muffled. I have it hooked up to a receiver, but still.. No noticeable burn in ever..
4) Plasma TV 3D - This TV sound is much better than the other, but it always seems susceptible to temporary burn in, either SD shows my kids watch which can't be stretched b/c they transmit w/ vertical letterboxing. It goes away after a while, but still annoying.
5) Bluray players - work great, as usual loading/updating time blows. But I suppose that is the technology not the device. Although It annoys me that when I turn on the bluray to eject, it automatically changes the input on my TV (probably configurable somewhere).
6) Galaxy Nexus - Had a bad USB port, and got it fixed. Had to pay $38 because it was the UK GSM version, and their warrantee is only valid in the country where you bought it, even though it is the same dang phone Google sells locally. Fortunately the N.American Samsung Mobile repair facility is 5 minutes from my office.
7) Galaxy S - Suffered burn in from wife playing solitaire a WHOLE lot t
8) Galaxy Tab 10.1 (I/O edition) - started getting stuck in boot loops, an issue w/ a short in their charging connector, fixed under warrantee while I waited.
9) ChromeBook - Keyboard / Mousepad died. Replaced under warrantee.

I have to say their warrantee support is great if you are using a locally purchased device, otherwise good luck... I never intended to buy so much samsung stuff, it always seemed to be the best bang for your buck.

I concur with the title. I've owned LOTS of Samsung products in the past. VHS player from early 90's that still work fine, my first DVD player ever was a Samsung and it still works, second BluRay player is Samsung (1st was a Magnavox - never again), had a fair share of Samsung cell phones, and computer components like HDD's, DVD drives, even FDD's. Everything has just worked.

I'd definitely take an Acer (and the excess cash) over a comparable Sony product. Samsung still strikes a good balance between quality and price...subject to change though. In 5 years, Samsung may be like Sony.

1) Washer/Dryer - work great 5 years later, but you would have thought they could have worked around the mildew smell in front loading washers by now.

Do you leave the door open when not using it?

All of the TVs I've ever owned were and are Samsung, (aside from a bad relationship with a couple of defective VIZIO units). Computer monitor, cellphone, laptop...all Samsung and all very happy with.

Samsung is my first choice in monitors and tv.

Also have 2 Samsung tablets that I use daily, 11" Windows 7 slate and an Android Galaxy Tab 2 7". Never tried their phones as I have Nokia's offerings from the past 2 years, N8 & N9.

im very surprised apple is so low. i dont own anything samsung myself, but i would gladly buy the brand if they had what i was looking for. they deserver it. sony on the other hand, definitely does not deserve second place.

I have mixed emotions on Samsung, although I own a LOT of samsung stuff...

Samsung Washer & Dryer
Samsung Refrigerator
Samsung Plasma Tv
Samsung Plasma 3D Tv
Samsung BluRay Player x2
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Samsung Chromebook

(I think that is all my samsung crap).
I don't know where to start, I guess I will start out by saying, when Samsung is working, it works great. But here are my gripes.. They always seem to miss 'something', or leave something out.

2) Fridge works great, except where is the night-light for getting water in the dark? None available for water/ice-maker.
3) Plasma TV #1 - This actually works pretty well and I am really impressed, but the sound quality blows. The speakers point back to the wall, and always seem muffled. I have it hooked up to a receiver, but still.. No noticeable burn in ever..
4) Plasma TV 3D - This TV sound is much better than the other, but it always seems susceptible to temporary burn in, either SD shows my kids watch which can't be stretched b/c they transmit w/ vertical letterboxing. It goes away after a while, but still annoying.
5) Bluray players - work great, as usual loading/updating time blows. But I suppose that is the technology not the device. Although It annoys me that when I turn on the bluray to eject, it automatically changes the input on my TV (probably configurable somewhere).
6) Galaxy Nexus - Had a bad USB port, and got it fixed. Had to pay $38 because it was the UK GSM version, and their warrantee is only valid in the country where you bought it, even though it is the same dang phone Google sells locally. Fortunately the N.American Samsung Mobile repair facility is 5 minutes from my office.
7) Galaxy S - Suffered burn in from wife playing solitaire a WHOLE lot t
8) Galaxy Tab 10.1 (I/O edition) - started getting stuck in boot loops, an issue w/ a short in their charging connector, fixed under warrantee while I waited.
9) ChromeBook - Keyboard / Mousepad died. Replaced under warrantee.

I have to say their warrantee support is great if you are using a locally purchased device, otherwise good luck... I never intended to buy so much samsung stuff, it always seemed to be the best bang for your buck.

Gotta leave the door open on front loaders. Samsung is no exception. You don't get mildew if you let them dry out and clean the rubber housing every so often. This applies to all front loaders, not just samsung.

Dell beat out Acer more than 2:1? Sad, sad day. :( My Latitude- Latitude, mind you- was a smoldering pile, after which I started cautioning all of my friends/family off of Dell.

Then dont sit on it and such? :rolleyes: Ive had Latitudes for seven years continuously now and theyre the most reliable computers ive owned. My recently replaced D630 (replaced for hardware refresh for Windows 7 etc) flew 350-400,000 miles and even fell off a moving vehicle. Not sure how you manage to break a Latitude short of obvious intentional abuse.

I'm not surprised. Samsung makes good products and at a good price point.

All of my TV's and my HT setup are all Samsung. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

I don't currently own any Samsung products, but from all the good things I've read about them, I'd strongly consider them for things such as my next TV or phone.

If choices are available, I will still choose Japanese brands over Korean ones...
I'm indifferent between the 2, but definitely either of them over a Chinese brand.

Anyone remember when Samsung stuff first appeared in the US? It was horrid! It's amazing that they went from purveyors of flea market quality products to most preferred brand in the US in less than 3 decades. Either it speaks volumes for their commitment to improving quality or to how far the standards of US consumers have slipped. Personally I think it's a bit of both.

For the most part we try to.. But if you leave the clothes in there even for a little bit after the spin cycle, it starts to smell a bit.. Need to get some of the mildew remover stuff.

I'm pretty much anti-Samsung for most things. I think they tend to be preferred by many people for cost reasons more than anything. They tend to be much cheaper than Sony and others. However my experiences with Samsung electronics in general have been mostly negative. Every Samsung phone I've used has been a piece of shit. I've had problems with them of every kind. Samsung TV's have never impressed me either. Tons of firmware issues, connectivity problems, etc. I had a Samsung DVD player which was also shit and would never pass audio over HDMI to a Samsung TV. It would with any other brand though. :confused:

So I tend to avoid Samsung like the plague.

For the most part we try to.. But if you leave the clothes in there even for a little bit after the spin cycle, it starts to smell a bit.. Need to get some of the mildew remover stuff.

There is a special cleaner for front loaders that you need to cycle through about every few months or so. That will prevent this.

Gotta leave the door open on front loaders. Samsung is no exception. You don't get mildew if you let them dry out and clean the rubber housing every so often. This applies to all front loaders, not just samsung.

Truth. My wife and I usually run the washer with nothing in it except the hottest water it will draw from the wall hook-up and a shload of bleach. Once it finishes, we then wife down the inside of the front door and the seals/anti-leak well.

:confused: i cant think shes a fan of this cleaning method. i guess if it works...

HAHA holy shit that typo of mine is golden. Good comedy.

(for no one in particular: the proper word I meant to type was "wipe", for those not blessed with even below-average common sense)

Once it finishes, we then wife down the inside of the front door and the seals/anti-leak well.

[H] has a set of users with the oddest relationship quirks. I hope this isn't something that spreads. I can't even imagine what that would do to my already strange home life.

sony still #2 ????

I thought they became irrelevant a long time ago..

Just because you hate their game platform, doesn't mean they don't still produce some of the best electronics. Not to mention in places other then the US Sony much like timex and casio still has huge customer bases.

I'm pretty much anti-Samsung for most things. I think they tend to be preferred by many people for cost reasons more than anything. They tend to be much cheaper than Sony and others. However my experiences with Samsung electronics in general have been mostly negative. Every Samsung phone I've used has been a piece of shit. I've had problems with them of every kind. Samsung TV's have never impressed me either. Tons of firmware issues, connectivity problems, etc. I had a Samsung DVD player which was also shit and would never pass audio over HDMI to a Samsung TV. It would with any other brand though. :confused:

So I tend to avoid Samsung like the plague.

Have you used any of their recent products? I have had a Samsung TV for ~3 years or so now, still amazing picture and never experienced any issues you are talking about. The Blu-ray player is also good enough for what it does.

I've also had a 19" LCD for 5+ years, and it still works perfectly, same as my current 23" LED/LCD.

Slowly moving towards all samsung products for a combo of quality/price, but I'm keeping my pioneer 821, great receiver.

Back