Samsung Galaxy S5 Watch Thread

At this point I'm not so sure that Apple releasing a bigger iPhone is going to bring back the mojo. It'll bring some diehards back but unless Apple also de-cripples its OS I think it'll just remain another phone running on the fumes of previous years' hype.

As the smartphone market is becoming quite saturated, it might be time to admit that the period of innovation and evolution is drawing to a close and now the industry will be moving into the dreaded commoditization phase. I.e., the Dell-ification of smartphones.

Report: Galaxy S5 announced early to hide lack of innovation, counter iPhone 5s
http://www.sammobile.com/2014/03/07...to-hide-lack-of-innovation-counter-iphone-5s/

According to one source, Samsung wanted to divert attention from the lack of innovation – rumors and leaks leading up to the S5′s announcement suggested it would have features like a 2k display, 64-bit processor, and a metallic body, but except for a fingerprint scanner, none of the rumored and hyped features didn’t make it into the final product. This supposedly prompted Samsung to announce the S5 at Mobile World Congress (MWC), likely because it didn’t feel the new features and improvements in the fifth-generation Galaxy S warranted a dedicated event.

Another reason, apparently given by a Samsung executive, points at the positive reception Apple’s iPhone 5s received in Europe, a market where the Galaxy S series is extremely popular. “I heard that it was necessary for our company to unveil the new version ahead of schedule, since the iPhone 5s got a better-than-expected response in Europe, which is the Galaxy S series’ stronghold.”

Speculating article based on rumors.

At this point I'm not so sure that Apple releasing a bigger iPhone is going to bring back the mojo. It'll bring some diehards back but unless Apple also de-cripples its OS I think it'll just remain another phone running on the fumes of previous years' hype.

As the smartphone market is becoming quite saturated, it might be time to admit that the period of innovation and evolution is drawing to a close and now the industry will be moving into the dreaded commoditization phase. I.e., the Dell-ification of smartphones.

I think the only aspects that are really going to change now are VoLTE, more LTE bands per phone with lower power consumption, basic spec upgrades(CPU, GPU etc), thinner/longer battery life. Honestly, I'm ok with that for now. I prefer a phone that I can use in any country that is light, can last at least a day of heavy usage and have fast/reliable data available.

Apple will need to get rid of al gore before I take em serious for starters... Their OS just seems to handicap previous phones too often for my liking...

The current Galaxy s4 is a decent phone, but you got to be damn careful with it.. My wife dropped hers and even with a defender otter box the damn lcd screen under the gorilla glass broke all to shit.. Will samsung make these a little more tougher? /shrug, probably not... Would be nice if the back cover didn't feel like cheap plastic though.. But saying that I have mine in an otterbox as well, but obviously its not a sure thing.

Apple will need to get rid of al gore before I take em serious for starters...
What? Did Al Gore invade a sovereign nation for oil or something and then talk about Crimea not truly being free?

If it's because of global warming, seriously, there is this thing called the scientific peer review. Someone makes a discovery, provides data. A whole bunch of other experts in the same field reviews that data to accept or reject it. Al Gore just so happens to agree with the vast majority of scientists and invest his money in green companies. Oh... That's just so evil...

Last edited:
Apple will need to get rid of al gore before I take em serious for starters... Their OS just seems to handicap previous phones too often for my liking...

How does Gore being on the board really matter? It's not like you're forced to watch An Inconvenient Truth before you can use a Mac.

Besides, if you're concerned about dodgy people having control over a company, you should immediately boycott all Samsung products. Its chairman was convicted of (and took responsibility for) creating a slush fund used to bribe politicians and judges, and nepotism is practically par for the course for him.

In other words: if you let those at the top play a major role in what you buy, you're arbitrarily cutting yourself off from good products. Press for change, but understand that management won't always perfectly reflect your ideals.

How does Gore being on the board really matter? It's not like you're forced to watch An Inconvenient Truth before you can use a Mac.

Besides, if you're concerned about dodgy people having control over a company, you should immediately boycott all Samsung products. Its chairman was convicted of (and took responsibility for) creating a slush fund used to bribe politicians and judges, and nepotism is practically par for the course for him.

In other words: if you let those at the top play a major role in what you buy, you're arbitrarily cutting yourself off from good products. Press for change, but understand that management won't always perfectly reflect your ideals.
Yeah but Steve Jobs was a big fat meanie and an asshole to his employees, which makes Apple much more worse than Samsung around here.

Yeah but Steve Jobs was a big fat meanie and an asshole to his employees, which makes Apple much more worse than Samsung around here.

The thing is, nobody here ever looks at Samsung other than their products. They just see that Samsung is a competitor to Apple and instantly hail them as Jessus, and Google as God. Quite funny to be honest.

The thing is, nobody here ever looks at Samsung other than their products. They just see that Samsung is a competitor to Apple and instantly hail them as Jessus, and Google as God. Quite funny to be honest.

Who praises Samsung here?

You can see a couple in this thread. But it is mostly Google getting praised, my bad.

Ah, yea, I try to stay away from Samsung myself, I pride myself on my recent Panasonic purchase (and wife for letting me). If lg released the G Pro 2 last year I would of bought that instead.

As a side note, I'm also trying to get away from android, if the iPhone does indeed release a 5 inch screen I'd go for that for my next purchase (daily driver) OR it will be WP8.

All big American companies do that.

The difference is noone is convicted for it here.

Can't tell if joking or trolling. :p

I would assume joking if coming from anyone else, hah.
Shit... did I forget the happy face?!? I failed the first time at Text Conversation 110: Texting Sarcasms & Jokes, but I destroyed the curve at Text Conversation 420: Sexting.

I'm gonna take it in the spirit of a joke... it's more fun that way!

That and I hope it wasn't too serious. I wouldn't want any company to 'win' because of fires at its rival.

A tad off topic but does the internet have any guess/idea when the Gear 2 is going to be released?

Rogers here in Canada already has pricing for Gear 2/Neo/Fit, so I suspect they'll be available either at the same time as the GS5 or shortly afterward. Based on the usual Canadian price hikes, it sounds like the Gear 2 will cost around $300 in the US, while the Neo and Fit will both cost $200. That last one is the surprising bit... the Fit is theoretically a step down from the Neo, but it costs the same.

Sure enough, those estimates were pretty much on the ball: here's AT&T's GS5 / Gear pricing details.

It looks like what you'd expect ($199 GS5, $199 Gear 2 Neo/Gear Fit, $299 Gear 2), although I think some people will balk at the Gear Fit costing as much as the Gear 2 Neo despite the absence of apps. Just how badly do you want that curved display? Given that Android Wear is coming out as soon as the spring, it may be worth waiting for something more standardized.

So the biggest news this week:

The Galaxy S5's display is the smartphone best display.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S5_ShootOut_1.htm

Samsung Galaxy S5 Display Technology Shoot-Out
Dr. Raymond M. Soneira
President, DisplayMate Technologies Corporation

While many people have assumed that the Galaxy S5 has basically the same display as the Galaxy S4, but just a bit bigger, that isn’t the case… Our detailed Lab tests show that there have been significant display performance improvements in almost every single test and measurement category, resulting in a number of new records for Smartphone display performance. Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, which we present in detail below, the Galaxy S5 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested – and it has raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch.

Evolution of OLED Displays
The Galaxy S5 has the latest evolution of Samsung OLED displays since we tested the Galaxy Note 3, which launched in October 2013, and the Galaxy S4, which launched in April 2013. Those results together with the Lab tests and measurements below show that the Galaxy S5 display is a major improvement over the Galaxy S4 and a significant improvement over the Galaxy Note 3 in almost every single test and measurement category, which we cover below.

Best Smartphone Display: Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy S5 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It has a long list of new records for best Smartphone display performance including: Highest Brightness, Lowest Reflectance, Highest Color Accuracy, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. The Galaxy S5 has raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch – an impressive achievement for OLED technology!

Most Accurate Colors: The Galaxy S5 Cinema Mode has the most accurate colors for any Smartphone or Tablet display that we have ever measured. This is especially important when viewing photos from family and friends (because you often know exactly what they actually should look like), for some TV shows, movies, and sporting events with image content and colors that you are familiar with, and also for viewing online merchandise, so you have a good idea of exactly what colors you’re buying and are less likely to return them.

Power Efficiency: OLEDs need to continue improving their power efficiency, which is critically important for mobile displays. We measured an impressive 27 percent improvement in display power efficiency between the Galaxy S5 and S4. According to Samsung, this increase is due to more efficient OLED materials and also to improvements in the display electronics and optics. While LCDs remain more power efficient for images with mostly white content (like text screens, for example), OLEDs are now more power efficient for most other content, which are typically darker, because they are emissive displays rather than transmissive like LCDs. In fact, the Galaxy S5 is 27 percent more power efficient than the Full HD LCD Smartphones we recently tested for mixed image content (that includes photos, videos, and movies, for example) with a typical 50 percent Average Picture Level, APL. If this keeps up then OLEDs may pull ahead of LCDs in total power efficiency in the near future…

I wonder how many folks here would want over saturated colors of the S4 screen now? (Fanboy bias at its best)

Good riddance... But is this an April Fools joke?

Err why would it be an April Fool's joke when it was released on March 31?

And it was done by DisplayMate (the most reliable and objective display reviewer).

I wonder how many folks here would want over saturated colors of the S4 screen now? (Fanboy bias at its best)

The SGS5 screen is different from the SGS4 screen as mentioned by the DisplayMate review.

Well there's different modes you can put the display in, so I'm sure there's a setting for people that like it either way (over saturated or accurate).

I would probably prefer the slightly over saturated look though. So I must be a huge rabid fanboy with a giant Samsung cock up my ass. :rolleyes:

It's getting to the point where I think people hate Samsung just because they're the top (Android at least) phone seller. Because at that point, it's impossible for them to do anything right or get credit for anything, right? Samsung is falling into the same stigma as Apple, it seems. It's getting annoying to see people rag on them for the same miniscule stuff repeatedly in every thread and news article. Mostly about TW though. Usually people prefer the AMOLED displays over LCD despite the accuracy issues, but it's not like it just it just blew every color way out to the point of looking like people are red. Now that it has been fixed, you have to find something else to bitch about.

Last edited:
Well there's different modes you can put the display in, so I'm sure there's a setting for people that like it either way (over saturated or accurate).

I would probably prefer the slightly over saturated look though. So I must be a huge rabid fanboy with a giant Samsung cock up my ass. :rolleyes:

It's getting to the point where I think people hate Samsung just because they're the top (Android at least) phone seller. Because at that point, it's impossible for them to do anything right or get credit for anything, right? Samsung is falling into the same stigma as Apple, it seems. It's getting annoying to see people rag on them for the same miniscule stuff repeatedly in every thread and news article. Mostly about TW though. Usually people prefer the AMOLED displays over LCD despite the accuracy issues, but it's not like it just it just blew every color way out to the point of looking like people are red. Now that it has been fixed, you have to find something else to bitch about.
Did I bitch about Samsung actually having color accurate screens? No. I was mentioning how many of you fanboys bitched about how you enjoy over saturated colors cause it's just more vibrant to view movies on. And now in "cinema mode" no less, Samsung finally delivered on color accuracy. So if you are getting the S5, you would be picking the vibrant colors setting over the accurate setting? Oh please!

It's really just one person on here. I don't like the company, same with Apple but I love their phones.

I will call myself out to be a Motorola fanboy, I bought the Atrix over the SGS2.

So if you are getting the S5, you would be picking the vibrant colors setting over the accurate setting? Oh please!

Why not? It looks better than more muted/bland colors, even if they are accurate.

Like I said; it's not like its over-saturated is to the point of making skin tones look red or other colors look unrealistic. It's pretty subtle, just enough to be noticeable with I compared my Note 2 to an iPhone. It just seems that your complaints about the over saturation on previous Samsung phones are blown out of proportion.

Now they're catering to both crowds, so it's an improvement all around. But no, I'm probably not getting an S5, but mostly because I'm still happy with my Note 2 and I won't have a line upgrade for several months still. But even if I was eligible for an upgrade right now, I would probably go with the new One this time around since it (surprisingly) supports an SD card and I really like those speakers.

Like I said; it's not like its over-saturated is to the point of making skin tones look red or other colors look unrealistic. It's pretty subtle, just enough to be noticeable with I compared my Note 2 to an iPhone. It just seems that your complaints about the over saturation on previous Samsung phones are blown out of proportion.
Right... when we debate on which is a better screen, Nexus 5 vs One vs SGS4, we say Nexus 5 wins. And yet you say you enjoy more vibrant colors over accurate colors and that accurate colors is overrated... So who is blowing things out of proportion?

Right... when we debate on which is a better screen, Nexus 5 vs One vs SGS4, we say Nexus 5 wins. And yet you say you enjoy more vibrant colors over accurate colors and that accurate colors is overrated... So who is blowing things out of proportion?

You..?

The few reviews (MKBHD - a huge Nexus fan, and The Verge at least) I watched/read even mentioned the Nexus 5 display looking slightly washed out, despite it having the "best" (most accurate) display.

I don't remember that thread or posting in it, though it sounds like something I'd say. But I highly doubt it was anywhere near unanimous that the N5 had the best display. The difference here though being that I don't belittle people for their personal preference (by calling them a fanboy). By your definition, anyone who likes the AMOLED displays, even if they're inaccurate, is a Samsung fanboy. It seems to me that the majority of people like more "punchy" colors at the cost of accuracy in every display, unless they're professionally editing pictures or something. I got my wife a ProArt Asus monitor for editing her pics (she's a semi-pro photographer) and it's completely color calibrated out of the box (with test results included in the box) and is one of the most accurate monitors available. Despite it being accurate, it's definitely not as pleasing to watch videos and stuff on compared to my TV or phone (not considering size).

Ugh.. I'm getting pretty sick of that term. Can we please just stop slinging that ignorant shit around now? Whenever I read it, I pretty much completely dismiss the person accusing it as a complete asshat, unless it really is a complete and blatant case of it they're calling out (Chui comes to mind).

Last edited:
I don't remember that thread or posting in it, though it sounds like something I'd say. But I highly doubt it was anywhere near unanimous that the N5 had the best display. The difference here though being that I don't belittle people for their personal preference (by calling them a fanboy). By your definition, anyone who likes the AMOLED displays, even if they're inaccurate, is a Samsung fanboy.

Ugh.. I'm getting pretty sick of that term. Can we please just stop slinging that ignorant shit around now? Whenever I read it, I pretty much completely dismiss the person accusing it as a complete asshat, unless it really is a complete and blatant case of it they're calling out (Chui comes to mind).
If Babe Ruth can't even get in unanimously to the HOF, why do you even use the "it's not unanimous" defense. A great majority and scientific tests were done saying the Nexus 5 was the best screen available when it was released. Someone posted a report on it, and you HAVE to file a rebuttal... No one was asking you. The person who started a debate on it is you.

If Babe Ruth can't even get in unanimously to the HOF, why do you even use the "it's not unanimous" defense. A great majority and scientific tests were done saying the Nexus 5 was the best screen available when it was released. Someone posted a report on it, and you HAVE to file a rebuttal... No one was asking you. The person who started a debate on it is you.

I said "anywhere near unanimous." There's quite a difference. If it was even close, even more than 75%, I'd give it to you. But I know it wouldn't be.

I said "anywhere near unanimous." There's quite a difference. If it was even close, even more than 75%, I'd give it to you. But I know it wouldn't be.
right, cause screen accuracy differs from review to review...

Care to quote these "great majority and scientific tests". I hope they're from DisplayMate.

Care to quote these "great majority and scientific tests". I hope they're from DisplayMate.
And anandtech... In case you're missing something, we're talking about back when the nexus 5 was first released. Just helping you do your job... We're not talking about the current best screen, which is undeniably the GS5.

Back