Samsung Galaxy S5 Watch Thread

the 1440p screen rumor obviously was false. But the Note 4 could truly benefit from a higher res screen. I always thought the Note series should have a higher resolution screen, than the smaller S series.

Will the Note 4 be 1440p ?

I'm shocked at just how underwhelming the s5 really is. Stupid people will still buy it though. And there are a lot of stupid people in the world....

Totally agree, the S5 is a MASSIVE let down. Compared to the S4, it has to be the smallest upgrade between S series releases.

- S5 is still 1080p, with a worse PPI compared to the S4
- S5 is thicker than the S4, with only a minor 200mAh battery size difference :rolleyes:
- S5 is heavier than the S4 :rolleyes:
- S5 is taller than the S4, with only .1" screen size difference :rolleyes:
- S5 is based off Kit Kat 4.4, just like the S4 is today
- S5 is still plastic just like the S4, no cool new metal design, or at least HTC One X awesome polycarbonate ( plastic ) design
- S5 still has 2GB RAM
- Snapdragon 800 vs 600, is not night and day difference, especially if your not a gamer, it won't make you text faster, or get e-mails quicker.

Really, if you already own an unlocked S4, there is pretty much zero reason to upgrade to the S5, unless you win won for free.

I think the Sony Z2 is much better upgrade, or best new phone of 2014 so far. The Z2 has a 3,200mAh battery, is waterproof up to 6 feet, it has the newest Snapdragon 801 processor, the Z2 has 3GB RAM, Z2 has a better screen and higher PPI over the S5.

I'm really intrigue with the Z2. I'm torn between Z2 and the new HTC One. I was gonna get S5 for the first time but w/ minor upgrade like iPhone 5 to 5S. Id rather wait for the Note 4 if I go samsung.

I'm really intrigue with the Z2. I'm torn between Z2 and the new HTC One. I was gonna get S5 for the first time but w/ minor upgrade like iPhone 5 to 5S. Id rather wait for the Note 4 if I go samsung.
the Z2 and the Z1 compact are great phones. I'd probably choose the compact between the two. The problem is US availability, and I especially doubt a CDMA version. I know sony made CDMA phones for China Mobile, but they have yet to do anything for Verizon or Sprint/softbank.

Last edited:
Totally agree, the S5 is a MASSIVE let down. Compared to the S4, it has to be the smallest upgrade between S series releases.

- S5 is thicker than the S4, with only a minor 200mAh battery size difference :rolleyes:
- S5 is still plastic just like the S4, no cool new metal design, or at least HTC One X awesome polycarbonate ( plastic ) design
- S5 still has 2GB RAM
- Snapdragon 800 vs 600, is not night and day difference, especially if your not a gamer, it won't make you text faster, or get e-mails quicker.

Really, if you already own an unlocked S4, there is pretty much zero reason to upgrade to the S5, unless you win won for free.

I think the Sony Z2 is much better upgrade, or best new phone of 2014 so far. The Z2 has a 3,200mAh battery, is waterproof up to 6 feet, it has the newest Snapdragon 801 processor, the Z2 has 3GB RAM, Z2 has a better screen and higher PPI over the S5.

The S5 has the Snapdragon 801 too, and as far as I've seen, the only difference between the 800 and the 801 is a slight bump in clock speed and support for my cell bands (I think).

Also, the Z2 is useless to most in the US. Sony needs to pull their head out of their ass's and do what it takes to get their phones in the US. 6 months after international launch and on the smallest US carrier (T-Mobile) doesn't count either.

the Z2 and the Z2 mini are great phones. I'd probably choose the mini between the two. The problem is US availability, and I especially doubt a CDMA version. I know sony made CDMA phones for China Mobile, but they have yet to do anything for Verizon or Sprint/softbank yet.

Perhaps there is hope?

If this tweet is accurate it means the Z2 IS headed to Verizon. I am getting a semi just thinking about it. This would make very good sense, as it would indicate that Sony is cutting the PC segment and shifting its focus to the more lucrative Smartphone market after seeing the positive reception of the Z1. Supposedly releasing in March, could we see Sony show up to Samsungs party and steal the thunder? It is going to be a hot spring I think...

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_sirius_to_debut_at_mwc_not_ces_new_rumor_says-news-7508.php

From the article:

"Anyway, the 2014 flagship will reportedly have a 5.2" display, possibly of the 2,560 x 1,440 pixel resolution. Other specs get thrown around too – the 20.7MP Sony G Lens camera from the Z1 pair, 3GB RAM, 3,500mAh battery.

Verizon is indicated as the US carrier to offer the Sony Sirius, but the flagship will certainly have a worldwide version too. As usual, take the rumors with a grain of salt, especially ones that can't agree on the details."

The S5 has the Snapdragon 801 too, and as far as I've seen, the only difference between the 800 and the 801 is a slight bump in clock speed and support for my cell bands (I think).

Also, the Z2 is useless to most in the US. Sony needs to pull their head out of their ass's and do what it takes to get their phones in the US. 6 months after international launch and on the smallest US carrier (T-Mobile) doesn't count either.

Wait what? Unless the LTE bands suddenly changed, the Z2 supports pretty much all of them except for CDMA?

Wait what? Unless the LTE bands suddenly changed, the Z2 supports pretty much all of them except for CDMA?

I'm not sure of the specifics, I'm sure it supports most of AT&T's and T-Mobile's GSM/LTE bands, but I'm speaking more to the carriers actually selling the phones on-contract. Contrary to what we're used to seeing the the tech community, a vast majority of people in the US still buy their phones on-contract and/or aren't willing to buy a new phone off-contract for $600+. Plus, compatibility with half of the US's carriers is still considerably less than ideal. Let's just hope those rumors of it coming to Verizon have some merit to them.

Not to thread jack this and turn it into a Xperia thread but I just wanted to point out that *some* Xperia Z2 cases on Amazon indicate a release date of March10th.
So IF this is coming to Verizon I would expect we hear more rumors percolating in the coming days.

Either way it is another dead heat really between the HTC One (2) the Z2 and the S5. But I would leap on the Z2 like a horny beagle.

Not to thread jack this and turn it into a Xperia thread but I just wanted to point out that *some* Xperia Z2 cases on Amazon indicate a release date of March10th.
So IF this is coming to Verizon I would expect we hear more rumors percolating in the coming days.

Either way it is another dead heat really between the HTC One (2) the Z2 and the S5. But I would leap on the Z2 like a horny beagle.

Same here, i currentlly have a Z1s but if it comes to Tmobile then i may jump to it later on. Im not impressed with the S5 and the HTC peaks my interest, but not much has been shown so far.

There is a pretty massive difference between the S600 and S800. First and probably biggest is the gpu.

Is there any difference in everyday apps, I.e. Non games, though?

Everyday, no. There is quite a bit more support on the S800, since it is using a better gpu and different cores. It really just depends, there is a reason the nexus 5 uses the S800 over the S600, even though it would be more then fine with the S600.

It is important to point out that the soc in the S5 is a massive upgrade over the S4. I do feel like they choked it by only giving it 2gb's of memory though.

Also I'm not including Google maps, certain high deff content and the more extreme web surfing. If you load up visual intensive sites or watch some really high quality content the move is noticeable.

Just to note, the launcher has a lot to do with fluidity and smoothness. For example, the HTC One Sense UI 5/5.5 is just as smooth if not smoother than in Nexus 5's Google Now Launcher despite the Nexus 5 having a superior CPU. And that I don't believe the bottleneck is the CPU has much as the eMMC performance and maybe other things.

Yeah the power saving function where it reduces drain on the battery by going black and white and shutting down unnecessary services is simple genius.
if you read the Lucid documents, it saves power by throttling down the CPU, GPU, or both depending on type of application. Nothing on changing to monochrome or shutting services down... The number one reason why Samsung needs something like this is because of having bloat superiority compared to every one else.

I do take issue with the much larger overall size of the S5 phone itself, compared to the previous model. I liked waht Samsung has been doing the last few years, upping the screen size, but making the new phone no bigger than the previous, or sometimes even a hair smaller, but with a bigger screen.

The S4 had a 5" screen, up from 4.8" on the S3, but the S4 is thinner, narrower, and lighter, then the previous S3. Same with the Note 3 from the Note 2, the N3 has a larger screen than the Note 2, but the Note 3 is lighter, thinner, and narrower. Footprint size of the Note 3 is less than the Note 2. I thought that was cool.

But Samsung chucked that out the window with S5 :rolleyes: Phone is much bigger, for really no reason. The S5 has a very minor screen size increase, 5.1" now, up from just 5.0" on the S4, so really not much of a change there, and battery size, the S5 has 2,800mAh battery, compared to the 2,600mAh on the S4, again really not much of a difference. So why is the S5 so much bigger than the S4 ? The thin small bezels of the S4 that were cool are gone on the S5, the S5 looks wider, thicker, and bigger bezel, why ?

S4 = 136 x 69 x 7.9mm @ 130grams
S5 = 142 x 72.5 x 8.1mm @ 145grams

The S4 had a 5" screen, up from 4.8" on the S3, but the S4 is thinner, narrower, and lighter, then the previous S3. Same with the Note 3 from the Note 2, the N3 has a larger screen than the Note 2, but the Note 3 is lighter, thinner, and narrower. Footprint size of the Note 3 is less than the Note 2. I thought that was cool.

But Samsung chucked that out the window with S5 :rolleyes: Phone is much bigger, for really no reason. The S5 has a very minor screen size increase, 5.1" now, up from just 5.0" on the S4, so really not much of a change there, and battery size, the S5 has 2,800mAh battery, compared to the 2,600mAh on the S4, again really not much of a difference. So why is the S5 so much bigger than the S4 ? The thin small bezels of the S4 that were cool are gone on the S5, the S5 looks wider, thicker, and bigger bezel, why ?

I'm with you that it's a bit puzzling but having owned an s4 briefly that had significant hardware problems that were completely inexplicable I'm going to offer the following two-fold speculative theory:

The S5 is possibly beefier simply for sturdiness and more reliable long-term stability.

The S5 has a ridiculously bad-ass camera and a very high quality giant battery that need more room to accommodate and deserve more protection.

Another unrelated possibility is that Samsung is attempting to offer up a flagship phone that begs to have no case.

I'm with you that it's a bit puzzling but having owned an s4 briefly that had significant hardware problems that were completely inexplicable I'm going to offer the following two-fold speculative theory:

The S5 is possibly beefier simply for sturdiness and more reliable long-term stability.

The S5 has a ridiculously bad-ass camera and a very high quality giant battery that need more room to accommodate and deserve more protection.

Another unrelated possibility is that Samsung is attempting to offer up a flagship phone that begs to have no case.

All good theories, I have no interest in this phone and it is somewhat if a let down but I don't think it's a terrible phone either for being high end.

In fairness, I don't have a password lock on my phone so I could see how that could be extraordinarily annoying and a fingerprint scanner could help to alleviate that.

Which is why your statement was so senseless. Even if you don't have a password the presence of a finger print scanner is way more secure than nothing at all. And because it takes no more work than swiping its a win win.

- S5 still has 2GB RAM

There are a number of inaccurate claims in this post and you should go back and edit it to reflect them / double check your facts.

I do take issue with the much larger overall size of the S5 phone itself, compared to the previous model. I liked waht Samsung has been doing the last few years, upping the screen size, but making the new phone no bigger than the previous, or sometimes even a hair smaller, but with a bigger screen.

S4 = 136 x 69 x 7.9mm @ 130grams
S5 = 142 x 72.5 x 8.1mm @ 145grams

The phone is taller by 6mm but no one holds the phone from the top, it wont affect you. The width is 3.5 mm hardly going to notice it. That is less than 2mm extra bezel on each side really justification for claiming bezels are gone? If so then compare it to the competition.
The depth is listed as 8.1, once again are you really going to notice a 2mm thicker device? Even if you do AFAIK no one knows if that includes the camera or not. Because in the pictures the S5 camera protrudes more than the S4. This could mean they are both the same thickness but you just get more camera on the new one.

I don't know the explanation for this but I will point out that you make it out to be a big deal when yet you say the Z2 is a great phone when it is bigger in every regard. And heavier yet people are saying the S5 will get

The phone is taller by 6mm but no one holds the phone from the top, it wont affect you. The width is 3.5 mm hardly going to notice it. That is less than 2mm extra bezel on each side really justification for claiming bezels are gone? If so then compare it to the competition.
The depth is listed as 8.1, once again are you really going to notice a 2mm thicker device? Even if you do AFAIK no one knows if that includes the camera or not. Because in the pictures the S5 camera protrudes more than the S4. This could mean they are both the same thickness but you just get more camera on the new one.

I don't know the explanation for this but I will point out that you make it out to be a big deal when yet you say the Z2 is a great phone when it is bigger in every regard. And heavier yet people are saying the S5 will get

I think the whole point is that the Note III was able to get a bigger screen and still slim down slightly....

Maybe peoples expectations were the same????

I think the whole point is that the Note III was able to get a bigger screen and still slim down slightly....

S4 was able to do it because the S3 had some massive bezel.

Note 3 was able to do it because the Note 2 had some massive bezel.

The S5 is slightly larger (almost unnoticeable actually) compared to the S4. I doubt you'd be able to actually see the difference without looking at the back.

I don't think this is a bad release, its not a revolutionary jump, more like a refresh with some decent spec's but you can't expect them to mix in magic fairy dust every release.

lol i don't know why some of you people expected miracle out of samsung
S5 makes a lot of sense if you think about their target audience

It is fine to have expectations of improvement but you have to consider what it really means. Not just oh well every new phone has to win on all specs. And I consider it junk if it doesn't. It's as ridiculous as the foolishness where people think just because the Samsung is made out of plastic it throws out all the other advantages of the phone.

In this case we have some very small increases in size in all dimensions correlating with an increase in size of the screen. If you count the screen increase and subtract that from the increased size of the display you will find that one of your bezels has increased in size by 0.75mm over the S4. Now complaining about a bezel increasing by 0.75mm IMO is splitting hairs. As for the DPI and calling it a worse screen... On a single inch of display you will only get to see an extra 0.2 linear pixels or about 9 pixels in an inch. That is less than 2% different. And after all of that no one here knows if Samsung may have made good improvements in other display metrics. If the outdoor brightness is better are we going to complain about losing 2% DPI?

All of this is apparently overshadowing the jump in the SOC that will get the S5 back up into competition with the Note 3, G2, and a plethora of other phones that were released in the fall that now have better SOCs than the S4. That is what was really needed. Finger print reader and heart rate monitors are nice bonus features. I may actually upgrade my womans S4 to an S5 just for the finger print reader. We use the phone for business and it could be bad if someone did something on the phone. We tried using passwords and unlock screens but all of them made it far to slow to get the phone unlocked and taking care of a customer.

Ultimately until we get the specs of the competition like the HTC one 2014 we wont know if Samsung dropped the ball or not. I have seen the specs on the Z2 and the S5 is very very close on bezel and all specs winning in some and losing in other areas. But in all cases we are talking about like 1mm difference or less. If all I have to do to get a removable batter that can be replaced by a extended battery is give up 0.5 mm of bezel width over a competing phone well lol I think that's a clear win for Samsung.

Well I can understand some who feel disappointed, there wasn't much done to differentiate from the S4. Beefier SoC, amped up camera and finger print scanner. I guess we should expect these type of releases because it looks like htc may be following the same role this year too.

Those who missed out on last year releases will probably not feel jipped but the ones who upgrade yearly may. Not like that's a big deal.

I'm (seemingly one of the few) still interested in the S5. The only thing I'm concerned about is the camera. The camera on my wife's GS4 and my Note 2 can take nice video and still/scenery shots, but any movement or lower light shots are garbage (compared to a newer iPhone or Lumia).

I'm (seemingly one of the few) still interested in the S5. .

Isn't there rumors that the QHD display S5 will be coming out in a few more months?

Or was that just a rumor?

I'd personally wait at least until the new iphone comes out (pretty sure the new One, Sony, and maybe even Nexus will be around the corner too).

idk, I am excited about this years innovation/style/software upgrades. Last year was too much hype hype hype....this year seems to be upgrade everything, overhaul, maybe even start from the bottom.

Isn't there rumors that the QHD display S5 will be coming out in a few more months?

I'd personally wait at least until the new iphone comes out (pretty sure the new One, Sony, and maybe even Nexus will be around the corner too).

idk, I am excited about this years innovation/style/software upgrades. Last year was too much hype hype hype....this year seems to be upgrade everything, overhaul, maybe even start from the bottom.

I've noticed that I get way too excited about phone releases, and ultimately get really disappointed. I was so excited when I got the GS3, but it just felt "meh" a lot of times. I really hope this year brings some more exciting stuff, more battery and thinner with higher resolutions.

I wouldn't care if QHD phones started hitting the market soon anyways as I think 1080 on any phone-sized device is overkill enough. I'm still quite pleased with my Note 2's paltry 267 PPI 720p display even after seeing/handling my wife's GS4 a lot, I just wish it would get a little brighter sometimes (which seems to have been greatly improved on the Note 3).

If Sony brings the Z2 to Verizon (which I think someone mentioned rumors of around here), then that would be fantastic, but I'm not counting on it. I may consider HTCs M8 if they truly deliver a nice camera this time and it keeps its SD card slot in the US (which I doubt from since the J-Butterfly didn't or the G2). I really don't mind Samsung's UI as I root everything I own for tethering and my relatively new discovery of Wanam Xposed since it pretty much allows me to change the UI and add features as I see fit. Performance isn't an issue on my Note 2 or my wife's GS4 either, so I'm not worried about that despite everyone claiming TW (or whatever Samsung calls it now) slows the phone down significantly. I'm pretty much running a stock ROM on my Note 2 and my wife's GS4 is totally stock/unrooted and they pretty much fly through everything. There's certainly the occasional dropped frame or jitter, but I attribute that to Android in general more than I do the OEM's UI modifications.

Its a rumor and even if it was true it would never progress beyond that because Samsung isn't going to tell people to not buy the GS5 because a display upgrade will come soon.

Report: Galaxy S5 announced early to hide lack of innovation, counter iPhone 5s
http://www.sammobile.com/2014/03/07...to-hide-lack-of-innovation-counter-iphone-5s/

According to one source, Samsung wanted to divert attention from the lack of innovation – rumors and leaks leading up to the S5′s announcement suggested it would have features like a 2k display, 64-bit processor, and a metallic body, but except for a fingerprint scanner, none of the rumored and hyped features didn’t make it into the final product. This supposedly prompted Samsung to announce the S5 at Mobile World Congress (MWC), likely because it didn’t feel the new features and improvements in the fifth-generation Galaxy S warranted a dedicated event.

Another reason, apparently given by a Samsung executive, points at the positive reception Apple’s iPhone 5s received in Europe, a market where the Galaxy S series is extremely popular. “I heard that it was necessary for our company to unveil the new version ahead of schedule, since the iPhone 5s got a better-than-expected response in Europe, which is the Galaxy S series’ stronghold.”

Could be true, or could be more marketing tactics to hide the true specs and inclusions of the S5. We'll know for sure in the near future.

Report: Galaxy S5 announced early to hide lack of innovation, counter iPhone 5s
http://www.sammobile.com/2014/03/07...to-hide-lack-of-innovation-counter-iphone-5s/

According to one source, Samsung wanted to divert attention from the lack of innovation – rumors and leaks leading up to the S5′s announcement suggested it would have features like a 2k display, 64-bit processor, and a metallic body, but except for a fingerprint scanner, none of the rumored and hyped features didn’t make it into the final product. This supposedly prompted Samsung to announce the S5 at Mobile World Congress (MWC), likely because it didn’t feel the new features and improvements in the fifth-generation Galaxy S warranted a dedicated event.

Another reason, apparently given by a Samsung executive, points at the positive reception Apple’s iPhone 5s received in Europe, a market where the Galaxy S series is extremely popular. “I heard that it was necessary for our company to unveil the new version ahead of schedule, since the iPhone 5s got a better-than-expected response in Europe, which is the Galaxy S series’ stronghold.”

So very sketchy... I do think the MWC announcement was planned because Samsung wasn't expecting to make a big splash, though. Look at the presentation. The entire thing was done in about 45 minutes where the GS3 and GS4 announcements were noticeably longer. It also helps prime the pump, so to speak, when sales were tapering off. The company had better hope that Apple isn't releasing a bigger iPhone earlier than September, though, or the head start won't help much.

Back