Samsung 980 PRO

I hear ya. I'm still on 2.5" SATA SSDs and have zero regrets about NOT having any PCIe-based NVMe drives, based on real-world OS and game load times comparisons.
It just doesn't make sense *for me* to spend 2-3x the price/capacity to get a NVMe in the same capacity of a 2.5" SATA when the only advantage I'll actually see about is 0-5 seconds load times difference with my day-to-day usage.

Maybe when PCIe 5.0 drives emerge...
*shrug*
For gaming, agreed.
For major applications like video editing, databases, multiple VMs, large data set manipulation, etc, NVME (with a mid-tier or above SSD) makes a world of difference over SATA-III.

For gaming, agreed.
For major applications like video editing, databases, multiple VMs, large data set manipulation, etc, NVME (with a mid-tier or above SSD) makes a world of difference over SATA-III.

Yep. All our current cycle laptops at work have NVMe drives in them. Compared to the previous cycle, which was only two Intel i5 generations older (so not much real-world difference on just that front) coupled with SATA SSDs, the NVMe drives make a very noticable difference in our particular computing environment.

I hear ya. I'm still on 2.5" SATA SSDs and have zero regrets about NOT having any PCIe-based NVMe drives, based on real-world OS and game load times comparisons.
It just doesn't make sense *for me* to spend 2-3x the price/capacity to get a NVMe in the same capacity of a 2.5" SATA when the only advantage I'll actually see about is 0-5 seconds load times difference with my day-to-day usage.

Maybe when PCIe 5.0 drives emerge...
*shrug*
There's not that much of a price difference anymore. In fact, when they both go on sale, it's usually about the same price or maybe $10-20 difference for comparable drives. Can't be a brand snob though or you might be waiting a while.
Also, you will see a big difference when writing large amounts of data to an NVMe vs SATA. Browsing or gaming, probably not. But 4k or higher video encoding or editing, you'll see the benefits of even the slowest NVMe drive being around 3-4x faster than SATA.

Im betting Samsung will be over $379.99 for the 1TiB version. Overpriced even for MLC, granted I assume the price will be justified if you are going to be an extreme data writer to the drive, like tons and tons of video editing.

Im betting Samsung will be over $379.99 for the 1TiB version. Overpriced even for MLC, granted I assume the price will be justified if you are going to be an extreme data writer to the drive, like tons and tons of video editing.
Performance has simply eclipsed desktop user needs, but also not in a direction where it would actually make a difference like Optane.

I'd use Samsung Pro drives if I were actually doing significant amounts of video editing. I've seen lesser drives just tank under sustained drive loads, and something like 4k to 8k for source files, especially if needing transcoding or just having to work with a less efficient codec, would be torture for any drive, including these.

But IMO you're really going to have to be pushing multiple drive writes per hour to see the cost of these actually bear fruit versus a more "pedestrian" SSD. Even the Sabrent drives that are using hopped-up PCIe 3 controllers as PCIe 4 would be fine for most, and you could probably get 4x as much storage capacity as Samsung is willing to sell you.

Question as I don’t follow the sector, is there a nvram shortage atm. Larger drives are really fricking hard to get hold of atm.

Sabrent are the only option and stock is really hard to get hold of. Similarly the pm1733’s and micron equivalents are seemingly invisible.

Want a decent 8tb 2.5” drive and a fast mid sized m.2. Was kinda hoping the 980 pro would have a 4tb version

I've had good experiences with Samsung in the past, but I can't understand this. Pro prices for...midding features? I've generally been more interested in the EVO line anyway, so I'd be interested to see what the 980 EVO (Plus?) will provide. Maybe once we have both the Samsung 980 PRO and 980 EVO (Plus), we can compare them to the cards built on next-gen Phison controllers or whatever they're called. I'd be happy to pick up another Samsung (likely an EVO / Plus) if the feature set, performance, and reliability were right..but I guess we'll have to see.

So it looks like the last generation, the 970 Pro, is the last true "Pro" drive. What a shocker. Yet another company charging more for less.

Something that put me off Samsung NVMe drives when I was shopping for one was an Amazon comment mentioning that when it detects a (presumably critical) error it goes into a read-only mode but that mode wasn't able to disabled to wipe the contents for RMA'ing and the user was left with a drive they couldn't RMA for privacy reasons.

Seen a couple user experiences with the same issue but idk if it later was fixed on Samsung's firmware.

Lol this craziness and an absolute waste of money for 99.9% of people.

Impressive lol, but a waste.
what's the current bottleneck in systems?

games still take time to load, what's the hold up?

we had orders of magnitude speed up from spinners to solid-state, but still not fast enough for instant-on ??

Inefficient, human coded software
Agree, imagine if things were as efficient as even back on win 3.1 ... it’s crazy how much space games and drivers are taking up anymore. Terrible

Agree, imagine if things were as efficient as even back on win 3.1 ... it’s crazy how much space games and drivers are taking up anymore. Terrible

Although compression/lesser file size can help transfer information faster, my comment was really in regard to inefficient use/execution of system resources limited by either the way things have always been done, or just human thinking in general - more so than the size of files. Larger textures needed for larger resolutions and such - but file size could still be inconsequential if executed/information transferred properly/efficiently.

Also, I'm just speaking in general and easier said than done, especially on my part.

Edit: And in regards to the topic of larger texture size/file sizes for larger resolutions - as DLSS shows, multiple ways to skin a cat. That's kinda what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: erek
like this
So it looks like the last generation, the 970 Pro, is the last true "Pro" drive. What a shocker. Yet another company charging more for less.

I agree it seems they dropped the ball on this one. The Phison PS5018-E18 controlled Sabrent Rocket4 Plus laid waste to the 980 Pro. I just saw the other day another drive edged the 980 out as well. I think it was XPG? This is the first time their Pro M.2 drives haven taken an L.
Ouch...$230 for a 1TB drive.
comparatively the 970 pro 1TB is $315

so is the Adata XPG Gammix S70 a better buy?...is waiting for the new SSD's with Phison's next-gen E18 NVMe controller worth it?

Lol this craziness and an absolute waste of money for 99.9% of people.

Impressive lol, but a waste.
I use their Pro drives in my supermicro servers, the options they have for over provisioning are nice and the firmware support tends to be better. But yeah in a consumer space the price difference isn't really worth it for the needed feature set.

Um, is that seriously the best Samsung can do with PCIe 4.0?

Underwhelming - and that's being gentle.

Looks like the 905P will continue on.

Ready for an upgrade? The 980 Pro could be for you

"Samsung's upcoming flagship client-segment M.2 NVMe SSD, the 980 PRO, has cleared Korean regulators. The drive comes in three capacity variants, led by a 1 TB model (model: MZ-V8P1T0), a 500 GB model (MZ-V8P500), and a 250 GB model (MZ-V8P250). The maximum capacity being rather low at 1 TB suggests that Samsung could stick with MLC (2 bits per cell) NAND flash for the 980 PRO, coupled with an in-house controller that takes advantage of PCI-Express 4.0 x4 host interface to offer sequential transfer rates of up to 6,500 MB/s reads, with up to 5,000 MB/s writes and high random access throughput on account of the MLC NAND flash setup. For higher capacities from Samsung, one should look out for successors of the 970 EVO Plus, which could use 3D TLC NAND flash combined with a similar controller to the 980 PRO, although there's no word on when that drive would launch. The 980 PRO is expected to launch before October."

View attachment 257644

https://www.techpowerup.com/269225/samsung-980-pro-clears-korean-regulators-comes-in-three-sizes
This NVME drive is only slightly faster than the Sabrent Rocket picE 4.0 NVME drive. I got the 2TB version of the Rocket 6 months ago on sale on Amazon for $340 dollars, much less than Samsungs inflated prices. My drive is fast and reliable. I bought it with the copper heatsink with 3 heat pipes that Sabrent offers. NO heat issues at all.The heat sink was an additional $20 .

Last edited:
Back