Samsung 950 PRO [Official Thread]

its an error
Okay thanks. Glad it is just a bug.

can you tell me if your BIOS recognize the NVMe device please?
mine don't.

the option in this menu:

is disabled and grey out:
Same here when I go into NVMe in the bios nothing shows up there which is maybe a part of the bug where it is only showing 10Gbps. Guessing this will require an update from Asus for the BIOS.

Okay thanks. Glad it is just a bug.

Same here when I go into NVMe in the bios nothing shows up there which is maybe a part of the bug where it is only showing 10Gbps. Guessing this will require an update from Asus for the BIOS.

Another Asus flaw.
Can you boot windows with csm disabled for faster boot?
If I disable csm my system hang on boot

Another Asus flaw.
Can you boot windows with csm disabled for faster boot?
If I disable csm my system hang on boot

Yeah CSM is disabled and it seems to boot just fine, but if I leave fast boot on then occasionally my system will blue screen on reboot

still no idea why my test results are hit or miss.

0cf351497925271b8dcb04feb56b60a4.png

I haven't change anything since installing, and it's gone from 1700-2500-1700.

I solved my boot speed problems, it was the CSM enabled.

I disabled CSM and the boot boost up from 60 seconds to 20, loading windows is yes, 4 seconds more or less.
The problem is that to boot with CSM disabled I need to detach my USB monitor otherwise the system hangs on boot.

In any case, wow, now the speed is awesome.

I solved my boot speed problems, it was the CSM enabled.

I disabled CSM and the boot boost up from 60 seconds to 20, loading windows is yes, 4 seconds more or less.
The problem is that to boot with CSM disabled I need to detach my USB monitor otherwise the system hangs on boot.

In any case, wow, now the speed is awesome.

what is CSM?

Compatibility Support Module, if your hardware support full UEFI you can disable the CSM in bios.
With CSM disabled the system is much more faster recognizing all the peripherals.

so does the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 good to turn CSM?

so does the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 good to turn CSM?

It depends, if alla your hardware support uefi, disable csm will help speeding up the boot.
The problem is that with csm disabled you should have some trouble with some USB connected at boot.

I can't connect my USB monitor for example or boot hang when csm is disabled.

It depends, if alla your hardware support uefi, disable csm will help speeding up the boot.
The problem is that with csm disabled you should have some trouble with some USB connected at boot.

I can't connect my USB monitor for example or boot hang when csm is disabled.

k i'll leave it on then. Why can't these things be made to not be glitchy as fuck....Like AHCI was terrible...heaven for bid you accidentally change that setting -_-

Never knew shit could be that retarded. Almost screwed myself way back when I just got a new PC and I was like ACHI vs old way whats the difference depr derp,

I just ordered mine in The Netherlands (Europe), supposed to be shipping this week. EDIT: changed to next week :(

Today I got the notice that it's been "delayed" until the beginning of December. Yay. FML.

i hooked up this drive onto a asus z170 deluxe. for some reason though, in the bios, i can't set it to m.2. On the asus board, m.2 and sata express are shared, so it is one or the other. when i set it to m.2, the setting doesn't stick. i did install windows 10 though and things seem fine so I'm not sure if it is an issue or not

Anyone with an x99 deluxe get this running at full speed on the m.2 slot? Every time I use the m.2 it links at half speed. Have it running on the pcie adapter sadly.

Anyone with an x99 deluxe get this running at full speed on the m.2 slot? Every time I use the m.2 it links at half speed. Have it running on the pcie adapter sadly.

I think we are chatting on other forum too. I have the system in signature, really similar to your, as far as I have seen you have good performance and 10Gbps link, so what is the problem exactly?

I think we are chatting on other forum too. I have the system in signature, really similar to your, as far as I have seen you have good performance and 10Gbps link, so what is the problem exactly?

Yes, if I put the drive in the m.2 slot it links at 5 gbps. If I put it in the pcie adapter it links at 10 gpbs. This is regardless if there is a drive at pcie 5.

No one here seen 20gbps on samsung magician software.

simple math shows that the 10Gbps number is false. 10Gbps is 1.2GBps. The drive is running at 2.5GBps so that is 20Gbps. Also no M2 goes at 10Gbps (unless it is Gen 2 PCIe). 10 Gbps is SATA Express speeds or m.2 running on 2x PCIe 2.0. It makes no sense to see 5/10 Gbps.

m1.jpg

so again that reading is completely false by doing simple multiplication and division. 2400*8=19.2Gbps

SsYAJJEGh7C9iVF_pN1p2bselu-LS76CAVseCOque0A

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gscmlrihnyscy3j/Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB.png?dl=0
EDIT:god I hate how dropbox blocks me direct linking to my own shit...fuckers

Last edited:
even got sammy drivers?

I honestly don't know. Try other benchmark programs and see if there is still an issue. It could be overheating. What are your temps?

Crystal Mark shows similar speeds. This is the smart info.

e010730601c68454442ceca684211f56.png

Crystal Mark shows similar speeds. This is the smart info.

e010730601c68454442ceca684211f56.png

can you translate those...my memory of dec or hex or whatever those raw numbers are is terrible.

I use HD Sentinel so I am spoiled by barney style number :D

Yes, if I put the drive in the m.2 slot it links at 5 gbps. If I put it in the pcie adapter it links at 10 gpbs. This is regardless if there is a drive at pcie 5.

It could be a driver problem, but is performance limited when you get 5Gbps?
As we have seen, magician isn't really reliable in recognizing the link speed.

I had the same problem of magician recognizing only 5Gbps on my X99 deluxe until I installed the samsung driver and installed the OS on the drive.
Can you try to swap the OS from the intel to the samsung drive?

The speed literally halves in all benchmarks. I tried uninstalling the samsung driver, replacing it with the standard driver then swapping back etc etc. I also have to force the PCIE slot to gen3 in bios or I get the same issue even if it is in a pcie slot. It is quite frustrating. I will try to swap the OS to the 950 pro this weekend.

The speed literally halves in all benchmarks. I tried uninstalling the samsung driver, replacing it with the standard driver then swapping back etc etc. I also have to force the PCIE slot to gen3 in bios or I get the same issue even if it is in a pcie slot. It is quite frustrating. I will try to swap the OS to the 950 pro this weekend.

I remember that when I installed the 950PRO on my Deluxe (OS was on a SATA SSD)
I get the 5Gbps from magician and half the bench speed.

Than I switched the OS to the 950PRO, installed the samsung driver and now it's ok, 10Gbps in magician and good bench speed.

X99 from Asus is a mess.

X99 from Asus is a mess.
I hope not. I just bought my 950 Pro from Newegg yesterday ($199.99 -10% off discount code = $179.99) and it's supposed to be here Monday.

This will be my OS drive, replacing the XP941 I have in my X99-A now.

I hope not. I just bought my 950 Pro from Newegg yesterday ($199.99 -10% off discount code = $179.99) and it's supposed to be here Monday.

This will be my OS drive, replacing the XP941 I have in my X99-A now.

if you got the XP941 running fine I would be amazed to see the 950 PRO not work

Samsung Magician 4.9 is out. I installed it and no difference for me. Still cannot get the right speeds :/

I reset my bios to default, and it seems to be running at full speed! Must have been something with my over clock? Now that it's working, to break it again.

I reset my bios to default, and it seems to be running at full speed! Must have been something with my over clock? Now that it's working, to break it again.
It is the overclock, more specifically the baseclock. Bit-tech found the same issue:
The issue we had is worth drawing attention to since no faulty components were involved. We use an X99 motherboard for SSD testing, specifically the Asus Rampage V Extreme. However, when we originally tested the SSD 950 Pro drives both were being capped in performance. A later installation of a beta version of the Samsung Magician software revealed that the PCI-E link speed was being limited to 5Gbps, i.e. PCI-E Gen 2.0 instead of Gen 3.0, which the drives need to operate at full speed.
The problem turned out to be something as simple as our overclock settings. We use Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 modules rated at 2,800MHz, and we were using their built in XMP profile for our system's overclock. However, this automatically sets the base clock to 125MHz, which is a requirement when using high frequency memory (i.e. above 2,666MHz) on X99. However, this also affects the speed of other parts of the CPU, not just the cores, and one of those parts is the onboard PCI-E Gen 3.0 controller. In turn, in order to maintain PCI-E stability at this clock, our motherboard was downgrading the PCI-E interfaces to Gen 2.0. You can force the graphics slots back to Gen 3.0, but there's no such option for the M.2 slot, which makes sense since storage devices require perfect stability. We have not been able to confirm exactly how other motherboard manufacturers handle the situation, but it's probably safest to stick to 2,666MHz DDR4 on X99 when using a PCI-E 3.0 storage device. It should also not be a problem on Z170, where the PCI-E controller's clock is separate to the CPU BCLK.

I have X99 Deluxe and 5930K like you and I'm running my CPU at 4.2GHz with RAM at 2666MHz no problem.
But I'm on 100MHz strap. Do you use 125MHz strap?

It is the overclock, more specifically the baseclock. Bit-tech found the same issue:

I have they same Corsair Vengeance LPX 2800MHz used by bit-tech,
the RAM XMP profile use 127.2MHz BLCK that is out of specs for PCIe and other peripherals. Probably the 2.2MHz difference can cause trouble to M.2 slot.

My suggestion is to try 125MHz or even better 100MHz, also a 1MHz deviation from the strap can cause problems to peripherals.

if you got the XP941 running fine I would be amazed to see the 950 PRO not work

It took me a little bit to get it up and running, but found the USB media installation method was enough to get it running as the OS drive.

Back