Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

I just got an S panel from newegg. Some questions I have though.

How do I turn off the blinking powerlight when the monitor is in standby?

Is the driver CD useful for anything?

Thanks.

Well I got a dead pixel now, time to call Samsung for a replacement :). *Crosses Fingers for a "S" panel*.

Can anyone help?

I accidently changed the in the Service Menu the Panel Ch. No. to 4 first and then I thought, maybe it would reset at 9, but it still continued after 9.
I kept pressing hoping it would reset back to 0, and now I'm at 120.

Does anyone know how to change Panel Ch. No. back to 0 please????

I only wanted to check which version monitor I had, after that I wanted to go back but didn't know how so I tried holding the menu button
And what does that function do?

Thanx!!!

Hey guys, my monitor resolution is 1280x960. I have a regular tv, not ws. But the max resolution my card says my tv supports is 1024x768. I'm not really technical about all this but when I play things from my tv to pc, people's heads are a bit stretched. Is there anything I can do to get it so the aspect ratio is good? Thanks guys!

Hey guys, my monitor resolution is 1280x960. I have a regular tv, not ws. But the max resolution my card says my tv supports is 1024x768. I'm not really technical about all this but when I play things from my tv to pc, people's heads are a bit stretched. Is there anything I can do to get it so the aspect ratio is good? Thanks guys!

You are regularly running the 226BW at 1280x960? Oh my.. For normal desktop use, switch to 1680x1050 and don't ever consider using anything else. For TV display however switch to 1360x1024 if your graphics card allows it, it should do the trick.

How are you playing things from your TV to your PC?

Thanks.

When did you receive your S panel? I'm suprised they are still shipping S-panels, I thought Samsung stoped shipping them.

You are regularly running the 226BW at 1280x960? Oh my.. For normal desktop use, switch to 1680x1050 and don't ever consider using anything else. For TV display however switch to 1360x1024 if your graphics card allows it, it should do the trick.

Ok, switched to 1680x1050 for regular display, I liked 1280x960. But when I switch to 1360x1024 for my tv, it doesn't display the whole image, i have to scroll up and down to get the full media player, so that resolution wasn't good. The closest i can get to fitting my whole pc screen on my tv is the 1024x768. So still need some help please.

Chevelle, That is not going to do it. Samsung has a 17 dead pixel minimum before they consider it defective. If you got it from Newegg they will exchange it if it has 8 dead pixels.

Thanks.
You don't and no.

Can anyone help?

I accidently changed the in the Service Menu the Panel Ch. No. to 4 first and then I thought, maybe it would reset at 9, but it still continued after 9.
I kept pressing hoping it would reset back to 0, and now I'm at 120.

Does anyone know how to change Panel Ch. No. back to 0 please????

I only wanted to check which version monitor I had, after that I wanted to go back but didn't know how so I tried holding the menu button
And what does that function do?

Thanx!!!
I think somewhere in this thread it was mentioned what everything in the service menu does. I believe the only way to exit the service menu is to shut the monitor off and then turn it back on.

Chevelle, That is not going to do it. Samsung has a 17 dead pixel minimum before they consider it defective. If you got it from Newegg they will exchange it if it has 8 dead pixels.
I know, I just read Samsungs website, in the Australian one it says "One" pixel anywhere.

Linky

Hello I am new to this forum and need some help.

I just got a 226BW, and hooked it up to my laptop.. now my laptop was a 15.4 widescreen and was able to maintain aspect ratio..

However I cannot get this monitor to maintain aspect ratio! (I am trying to play starcraft on it at 4:3 without it trying to stretch to full screen.)

Plz any help would be appreciated?

Thx in advance.

When did you receive your S panel? I'm suprised they are still shipping S-panels, I thought Samsung stoped shipping them.

04/25/2007 ORIGIN SCAN BALDWIN PARK, CA, US

from newegg

on a side note, when i went to all the local stores (bestbuy/circutcity/etc) they all claimed they were going to get shipments this 4/27.

behardware just reccomended the 226bw as their top TN monitor hands down, only problem is that they dont really specify about the S and A thing. They allude that the panel was made by Samsung but only in passing, they dont really talk about whether S or A or anything like that.

Ok, switched to 1680x1050 for regular display, I liked 1280x960. But when I switch to 1360x1024 for my tv, it doesn't display the whole image, i have to scroll up and down to get the full media player, so that resolution wasn't good. The closest i can get to fitting my whole pc screen on my tv is the 1024x768. So still need some help please.

What media player are you using? It might have an "Aspect Ratio" option, or something.

I also have this problem where the LCD has wavy-like interference when displaying some colours..

is my sammy defective?

22inches go see reviews cnet les numèriques etc etc

the samsungs dont have a comparable review on cnet but they did say about that HP that buggy "software" aside that it's performance was one of the best 22" they had seen and minor glitchy software (which is less relevant to us) aside that it's one of the best ones to own.

You really don't want to use any other resolution than 1680x1050 which is the panel's native resolution and generally the only one that is not upscaled to fill the screen. 1280x960 looks horribly blurry.
Give us more details on what you are trying to achieve with your telly, that is what video source are you trying to direct to what display device and what software you are using, now it seems that you may actually be trying to display video from your PC on your TV which is exactly the opposite from what you said the first time. Make yourself clearer please.

You really don't want to use any other resolution than 1680x1050 which is the panel's native resolution and generally the only one that is not upscaled to fill the screen. 1280x960 looks horribly blurry.
Give us more details on what you are trying to achieve with your telly, that is what video source are you trying to direct to what display device and what software you are using, now it seems that you may actually be trying to display video from your PC on your TV which is exactly the opposite from what you said the first time. Make yourself clearer please.

Hi, ok i'll give you all the details. I am using Media Player, I am trying to watch whatever is playing on media player on my TV since it's bigger. The only resolution that actually puts the entire desktop on my tv is 1024x768, but it's not perfect, like it's a bit stretched, when I see people's heads they kind of look like coneheads. I've tried a bunch of divx files. So I am wondering if it's because my monitor is WS and my tv is a regular tv. I was looking around in media player to try correcting it but nothing worked. Is there another media playing device that can correct it? I used to have a FS monitor before and never had this problem.

Hi, ok i'll give you all the details. I am using Media Player, I am trying to watch whatever is playing on media player on my TV since it's bigger. The only resolution that actually puts the entire desktop on my tv is 1024x768, but it's not perfect, like it's a bit stretched, when I see people's heads they kind of look like coneheads. I've tried a bunch of divx files. So I am wondering if it's because my monitor is WS and my tv is a regular tv. I was looking around in media player to try correcting it but nothing worked. Is there another media playing device that can correct it? I used to have a FS monitor before and never had this problem.

Some additional info needed.
Is the image on your TV stretched horizontally or vertically?
Are there any black bars around the image on the TV?
Where do you set the resolution to 1024x768? Is it the desktop or the TV-out properties? If it's the TV-out properties, what happens to the image on your TV if you switch the desktop to 1024x768 (or any other 4:3 resolution)?
What graphics card are you using? ATi, nVidia, something else? Generally you do not want to clone the whole desktop to your secondary device (the TV) but rather just the "overlay" window displaying the video, with ATi cards this is called the "theater mode".

My S panel is capable of 1920x1200. Has anyone else noticed this?

Actually....I tried this after reading your post. I needed to change my card settings to allow me to choose settings that it says my monitor will not support..and I switched it to 1920x1200. The monitor brought up a message in the center of the screen saying that it was not in optimum mode, but I only needed to hit the menu button on the monitor to get rid of it. Text isn't quite as sharp, but I'm kind of excited about this...worried too though. Could it possibly be doing harm to the monitor?

Actually....I tried this after reading your post. I needed to change my card settings to allow me to choose settings that it says my monitor will not support..and I switched it to 1920x1200. The monitor brought up a message in the center of the screen saying that it was not in optimum mode, but I only needed to hit the menu button on the monitor to get rid of it. Text isn't quite as sharp, but I'm kind of excited about this...worried too though. Could it possibly be doing harm to the monitor?

Since the image is simply downscaled to 1680x1050 by the panel, you are not getting true 1920x1200 and the monitor doesn't give a damn ;)

I'm not sure if it's in 1920x1200 or not. But I'm resolutely positive that it's not running in 1680x1050. There's a noticeable shift in the resolution, the image is defitely sharper, though for normal desktop usage I find having it actually set at 1680x1050 makes it more comfortable. But there's definitely a difference between the two.

I'm not sure if it's in 1920x1200 or not. But I'm resolutely positive that it's not running in 1680x1050. There's a noticeable shift in the resolution, the image is defitely sharper, though for normal desktop usage I find having it actually set at 1680x1050 makes it more comfortable. But there's definitely a difference between the two.

Would you mind taking a photograph of your screen when in 1920-1200? Although, try taking a screenshot and see what resolution the image appears in.

When I'm in 1920x1200, my whole desktop doesn't actually fit on the screen. I have to move my mouse over to the sides, and my desktop moves about an inch and then stops. I haven't tried it in a game yet, but I can say that there is no fuzziness at all. It looks just as good as 1680x1050.

I bought the 226BW from newegg 2 weeks ago. Has minor bleeding on the top and bottom, but it is a TN panel. Lowest grade. I got an "A" panel. The dithering or pixel shifting is driving me crazy. Everything else seems great. More specifically, when watching AVI, MPEG or DVD movies, the blacks and grays are crappy and look like blocks. Looks so horrible.

Called Samsung today and explained everything to support person. I never told them about the type of panel I had. He later asked me what model of the panel I had. I told him A and he said they have been receiving a lot more issues with these that the S panels. The tech guy said that if the calls keep escalating like they are, they may have to do a mass recall or something like that.

For the time being, Samsung is going to send me a new 226BW and hope that I get an S model. They are sending it right down the street to UPS store and I can go there with mine and open the new one. If I want it, then I can take it. If not, I can have them tell Samsung to take the one they sent me back. My choice. Either way, I think that is good. This gives me another choice before I get in touch with Newegg.

The bleeding does not bother me. The screen is very clean with cleans and no defects that I can tell. I just want the dithering or pixel shifting to go away?

Also, even though it is a 6 bit panel, the panel should be able to compensate better than the big cubes I see now on the screen. They would not use this technology if it did not perform well enough to be un-noticable.

spawn159, I had the same issue on my A panel. I returned it to newegg and they've sent me a new one (it's still in transit). I had the exact same issues as you. I could've lived with the bleeding (and it was bad bleeding, let me tell you), but not the blockiness and "shimmering" effect when viewing dark areas of DVDs.

I really don't care what letter my panel is, as long as it doesn't have these issues. It was a shame to send back my A panel since there were no dead pixels. At least I know I can call Samsung if I get another crap one.

I don't think the dithering thing is happening just because it's a TN panel. I have a 19" 6-bit panel that doesn't even claim to do 16.7m colors. It has no problems with noticeable dithering. Granted, it's not a TN panel, but next to my 226bw, it was beautiful.

Would you mind taking a photograph of your screen when in 1920-1200? Although, try taking a screenshot and see what resolution the image appears in.

Sorry. I'm not able to take a photograph. Not for another couple weeks at least, and even then not with any kind of skill or anything. If you can tell me how to take a screenshot of my desktop though I can do that, sad to say I don't really know how. :(

When I'm in 1920x1200, my whole desktop doesn't actually fit on the screen. I have to move my mouse over to the sides, and my desktop moves about an inch and then stops. I haven't tried it in a game yet, but I can say that there is no fuzziness at all. It looks just as good as 1680x1050.

Try running it at 70 hz if you're not. I have mine hooked up through an analog connection and had to hit the auto button, but it fixed it. At 60hz, however, there was a slight part of the screen on the right which would be black, after hitting auto it would get rid of this one too...but anytime I turned off/on the monitor for some reason it would reset and I would need to hit auto again to get rid of it.

Of course there is a difference, just like there is a difference between 1680x1050 and say 1440x900, the point is, that the physical resolution of an LCD panel is fixed and any resolution other than the nominal is upscaled (or downscaled) to the physical resolution, which is 1680x1050 in case of the 226BW, hence the resolution output from the graphics card may as well be 1920x1200, however it is still displayed using 1680x1050 points by the display, just like any other resolution for that matter. BTW, making screenshots proves nothing in this case, a screenshot has nothing to do with the display device.

Of course there is a difference, just like there is a difference between 1680x1050 and say 1440x900, the point is, that the physical resolution of an LCD panel is fixed and any resolution other than the nominal is upscaled (or downscaled) to the physical resolution, which is 1680x1050 in case of the 226BW, hence the resolution output from the graphics card may as well be 1920x1200, however it is still displayed using 1680x1050 points by the display, just like any other resolution for that matter. BTW, making screenshots proves nothing in this case, a screenshot has nothing to do with the display device.

I'm not sure if I"m completely understanding this. If it were simply downscaling it to 1680x1050, wouldn't it just look like it would if i was running it in 1680x1050? The monitor shouldn't even be able to say that it is running in 1920x1200 unless it had all the pixels capable of filling that resolution. If the monitor does not have the required number of pixels, I was under the impression that we should thus be informed that the attempted resolution is out of range, and not just have it downscaled. I can't play any resolution above 1920x1200, it informs me all others are out of range, and I've never on any monitor I"ve used before been able to go above the physical resolution of that monitor, since that was the resolution that it had the designated number of pixels to support. I'm not completely sure I'm understanding you though, maybe I"m just grasping too hard to understand

Everything else seems great. More specifically, when watching AVI, MPEG or DVD movies, the blacks and grays are crappy and look like blocks. Looks so horrible.

I could've lived with the bleeding (and it was bad bleeding, let me tell you), but not the blockiness and "shimmering" effect when viewing dark areas of DVDs.

Please realize that one of the problems with TN panels is that they are not very well suited for video. If the only problem you had with your panel was with DVD's, then chances are there's nothing wrong with it. From the BeHardware website:

Another well known problem for TNs technology is the accentuation of compression defects. The quality of movie encoding will have a direct impact on the image displayed. HD movies encoded in MPEG2 with DVD quality are a bit of a problem. So imagine what it would look like with a heavily compressed DivX…

The only weakness of my A panel are DVD's, otherwise I think it's exceptional and displays none of the flaws that other A users have reported. I did try different DVDs and noticed the quality varied. You may also want to try downloading an HD clip. While it still wasn't perfect, the quality was so much better than DVD's.

Here's the link to the BeHardware review of 22" monitors:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/662-1/22-inch-lcd-monitors-the-second-coming.html

Below are some shots of my A panel. The pictures don't do the panel justice as my camera is about six years old with a limit of 2.2 megapixels, and yes, it's time for a new camera.

e9c2f629.jpg

e9c2f514.jpg

e9c2f4f4.jpg

If anyone has problem with DVD's or DivX's on this monitor, they need to learn the fine art of monitor calibration and movie postprocessing.

As a somewhat dissatisfied owner, I have criticized this monitor a lot, but I see movies as one of the strengths, not weaknesses. All movies, even relatively low quality divx's look glorious on my 226bw.

Here's what you should do:
1. Calibrate your monitor, especially the gamma. The default gamma is too high and it makes compression effects (especially ringing) in movies look much worse. Lower the gamma to reach 2.2.
2. With VMR9 or Vista's EVR, you are not getting the whole color gamut. By default, picture looks washed out. Use ffdshow to output to RGB32 with high quality color conversion, or use Haali Video Renderer to get deeper looking colors in your videos.
3. Use ffdshow's Lanzcos resizing algorithm to dynamically resize the video to 1680x1050 real time as you watch it. The sharpness will be dramatically better.
4. Use postprocessing options in your codec to achieve the maximum deblocking and deringing.

After these four steps, your movies should look as good as mine.

Maybe you're not really seeing 1680 by 1050 at full quality. Are you using DVI?

Back