Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

oka View Post
Please help....

anyone know what the things in service menu is for?

auto auto =on
pixel shift = off (on goole I finded that pixel shift is a new option to prevent screen burn on the new lcd television models, any reason to be off...is broken on this model?)

panel no. ch. = initialy 0 but i find that even this option could be changed if you maintain the menu buton press 2, 3 seconds - the numbers is increse only...1,2,3 etc

now my mon is panel ch. no. = 3

changing this option will reset the counter of "cycle"

what use coul have this opion panel no. ch. ?

in nvidia control panel is possible to create custom resolution...and i tested and the monitor suport in max resolution an refresh of 65, 70, 75 Hz besides the default 60 Hz...it is worth to change on the higher refresh rate or no diferences will be made and only stress the device?

quote to refresh this ...

pixel shift OFF OR ON? somebody have an idea?

:confused: :confused:

Does your problem resemble this: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030797994&postcount=1033 ?
In my case it was actually some stupid problem with power cord connection, just try plugging the thing to another socket and see whether it makes any difference. Also try the other things I mentioned in my post and let us know about the result. Definitely do check whether the dots appear on a screenshot obtained via the "Print Screen" button, if they do the gfx card is definitely to blame, if not, it MAY be the monitor.

It doesn't look that that at all, no. I will certainly try the screen capture. I hadn't thought of that. I have to wait a while for my monitor to warm up before I can replicate it, but I can indeed replicate it.

Barring that issue though, I might still replace it from backlight bleeding, though I will try to get up some pictures on that to get opinions on how bad it is. It's so annoying though that the menu bars in Firefox and Windows Explorer almost appear to have a gradient going across them form right to left, due to the color change.

I guess this leads to another question. Is it possible for and LCD monitor to be effected by any kind of interference? We all know how CRTs are effects by magnets, and I've even seen them spaz out in computer labs when someone turns on a near by CRT. I've never heard of anything like this effecting an LCD, and based on what I've read about their workings I don't immediately see how they could be effected by interference , but still, I'd like to make sure. If that was the case it wouldn't matter what panel I have.

Edit: I just tried the print screen test. After I pasted into Irfan View I noticed the pixels were still there... but they I noticed they were still moving. So I moved the window to the side a bit and they went away from the picture... so that means they weren't captured in the print screen. It seems more like my monitor is freaking on on vertical lines, and not just specifically windows. (The instances of text in games doing this too would also support this.)

Edit: I just tried the print screen test. After I pasted into Irfan View I noticed the pixels were still there... but they I noticed they were still moving. So I moved the window to the side a bit and they went away from the picture... so that means they weren't captured in the print screen. It seems more like my monitor is freaking on on vertical lines, and not just specifically windows. (The instances of text in games doing this too would also support this.)

I don't know but this sounds very much the same like the problem I was having. Have you tried fiddling with the power cord? Unplug it from both the monitor and the power grid and then plug it again, preferably to another socket, it might just help, worked for me..

I got my 226BW from Office Depot today and its an A. The color is very bad, Huge back light bleeding to where my blacks are washed out and i get ghosting in BF2. Im going get my money back.

I got my 226BW from Office Depot today and its an A. The color is very bad, Huge back light bleeding to where my blacks are washed out and i get ghosting in BF2. Im going get my money back.

The colour is bad because the monitor has not been properly set-up. Backlight bleeding is present with S panels too. Dunno about ghosting, though, that's really strange.

The colour is bad because the monitor has not been properly set-up. Backlight bleeding is present with S panels too. Dunno about ghosting, though, that's really strange.

I set up the color and every thing and still looks bad. Also theres a huge color change, even my 1907FP looks better sadly.

Just my opinon, but I think ghosting would be near impossible with this monitor, unless it's defective, which I might also suggest, is unlikely; but, you may be the unlucky one out of _____?

It depends on your viewing distance, doesn't it? So, if you were to follow the usual rules of thumb (even osha guidelines) for monitor placement, seating postion, posture, etc the monitor should be at least acceptable in this regard. Not that everyone does, but I think the vast majority of people use the monitor with it pointed at them, and 1-2 feet away.

Also... I have no idea what you were saying in the 2nd paragraph.

what is the right length? mine is more than 6 inches arm lenght is that too far?

tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just my opinon, but I think ghosting would be near impossible with this monitor, unless it's defective, which I might also suggest, is unlikely; but, you may be the unlucky one out of _____?
I would think its defective. The Ghosting is bad, even in CSS on D2 i can see it in the trees.

When they hooked up the A panel the manager committed that the A panel was darker at the top and the colors got lighter as it went down.

I set up the color and every thing and still looks bad. Also theres a huge color change, even my 1907FP looks better sadly.

In both cases, especially the first one, this sounds like the normal viewing angle issues that all TN panels suffer from regardless what brand. FWIW, the other day I stopped into CompUSA to see if they had the 226bw on display. They didn't, but they still had the 225. Anyway, I looked at a variety of monitors from Viewsonic, LG, Gateway, HP, etc. and on all of them the viewing angle issue was the same if not worse than my A panel.

I was noticed that problem with pixels haos around some element of interface of divers programs - and is visible even in print screen pictures....

For me most anoing thing abut this monitor is ...in order:

1. the black is not even close to black especialy in the night time - is unconfortable to watch movies ant to play some game with darken scenes (i d'ont watched an lcd television in night, they have the same light-dark problem?) - and because panel size the black (and collors) is uneven not only to vertical but horizontal

2. the gradients (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/) is verry hard to get them right without banding...and if u succeed the rest of image have to suffer (to much brightnes and low contrast) - much work to calirate collors - way to much blue in A panels - even after calibration some pictures and actors face from movie will be overburned with hilights

I wait some clarifications about earlier question relate to "service menu"

thanks

I was noticed that problem with pixels haos around some element of interface of divers programs - and is visible even in print screen pictures....

If the corruption is really present on screenshots (that is it would be visible even on another monitor if you viewed the screenshots there), it has nothing to do with the monitor.

thaks for replay...now I d'ont have that "pixel haos" but I noticed once...I forget if realy was visible in screenshots, maibe was the drivers for the video card, now with last drivers installed no problem of that tipe..

Is there anyway to tell from the box if you get a "S" revision? Like a barcode range or something?

Thanks

Another not so happy camper with an "A" panel. I am thinking of selling it and getting a Dell E228WFP. The backlight bleeding is just horrid. I will take a pic with my Canon S3 IS when I get a chance. If anyone has any other suggestions on a different panel for around the same price or lower let me know.

I just picked up a 226BW from Best Buy today because it's on sale for $329. From what I've been reading here, I expected to get an A panel but it's an S. Did I luck out?

i am watching my monitor at 28 '' ......it s a 22 '' should i be more closer if rule of thumbs say diagonal = viewing distance:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i have a 36" crt hdtv and they say 10 feet..........

ty for answer and tell me your settings.........bye

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can someone please sum this thread up. I really don't have time to read 42 pages of posts. I am seriously looking at this lcd for future purchase. Not trying to be ignorant. Just asking for a favor. Thanks :p

Another not so happy camper with an "A" panel. I am thinking of selling it and getting a Dell E228WFP. The backlight bleeding is just horrid. I will take a pic with my Canon S3 IS when I get a chance. If anyone has any other suggestions on a different panel for around the same price or lower let me know.

what you mean by backlight bleeding?

ty for your answer:cool: :cool:

Can someone please sum this thread up. I really don't have time to read 42 pages of posts. I am seriously looking at this lcd for future purchase. Not trying to be ignorant. Just asking for a favor. Thanks :p

Don't you mean 83 pages?
Basically, it means there's a hell of a lot of people who've bought this monitor, with high expectations due to Samsung's reputations and the rave reviews, but ended up being less than satisfied. If i delve any deeper i could be writing for hours, plus i'll be late for college. :rolleyes:
Chances are, if you bought this monitor, it would look perfectly fine having not read all of the complaints in this thread but, if you're willing to consider, i'd look into the HP W2207 as an alternative.

Don't you mean 83 pages?
Basically, it means there's a hell of a lot of people who've bought this monitor, with high expectations due to Samsung's reputations and the rave reviews, but ended up being less than satisfied. If i delve any deeper i could be writing for hours, plus i'll be late for college. :rolleyes:
Chances are, if you bought this monitor, it would look perfectly fine having not read all of the complaints in this thread but, if you're willing to consider, i'd look into the HP W2207 as an alternative.

I have my options set to 40 posts per page instead of 10, hence only 42 pages. This is making me rethink widescreen LCDs all together :rolleyes: Why can't they just put out one good product instead of 5 bad ones?

Edit: Wait...I just read bit-tech's review. So if I get the S version, I'll be good? This LCD will mostly be used for gaming and HD movies.

I just ordered one of these baby's for my birthday from newegg. I've got my fingers crossed.
From what I've seen, newegg seems to mainly be shipping out S panels?
Bleh. I hope I dont get a bad one. That would be a major pain in the ass.

Is Samsung even still making the S panel or have they completely outsourced it?

I just ordered one of these baby's for my birthday from newegg. I've got my fingers crossed.
From what I've seen, newegg seems to mainly be shipping out S panels?
Bleh. I hope I dont get a bad one. That would be a major pain in the ass.

Is Samsung even still making the S panel or have they completely outsourced it?

It depends on the warehouse. In Michigan, I got the A panel just a week ago.

It depends on the warehouse. In Michigan, I got the A panel just a week ago.

Looks like mine shipped from NJ.
I've read alot of A's come from NJ but I've also seen S's as well.
Anyway I dont really care which panel I get, as long as it looks good. I've got my fingers crossed for no dead pixels, minimal backlight bleeding and no banding.

The waiting is killing mee! :(

I also got 1 bad pixel, but you've got to look hard to notice. Mine's not going back. Too good of price and too much hastle to worry about it. Honestly, I should have got my second 225bw with the better stand, for sure Samsung screen and $20 buck less. But this screen is good. I'll probably ugrade to 26" to 27" in a year or so.

I'm really disappointed with this monitor... today I saw a cheap 17' AOC with better color than my 226BW A. The gradients are terrible, I really don't know how to solve this. I'm a graphic designer and I need good fidelity colours. See this pictures.
1.jpg

2.jpg

:(

I'm really disappointed with this monitor... today I saw a cheap 17' AOC with better color than my 226BW A. The gradients are terrible, I really don't know how to solve this. I'm a graphic designer and I need good fidelity colours. See this pictures.
[IMGhttp://www.afr.org.br/images/1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGhttp://www.afr.org.br/images/2.jpg[/IMG]

:(

I have this exact same problem on my dell e228wfp. Even after calibration it still shows (although not as bad). I don't think there is a way to get rid of it :( Never again will I buy a TN panel.

I should also add that before this i had a Samsung 172X, an older TN and it looked MUCH better than my new dell monitor/

^^
That sort of banding is too much. Software color calibration or gamma adjustment might cause that. Try this:

- Get rid of all calibration profiles and return to the default profile
- Get rid of any gamma adjustments, if you have made any
- Calibrate the color using only the settings on the monitor. Here's what I recommend:
Brightness: 90 Contrast: 53 Red: 50 Green: 52 Blue: 42

Try this and see if the banding disappears.

i have for 7 days a samsung 226 BW ( S) panel but it is too large for me. left 7 days to return it. is the samsung 206BW (A)panel(20'') have the same problem then 226BW (A) panel (22'')

because i dont see nothing about it.

tyvm

groovie, can you please, please post the source image so that we have a point of comparison? Most of us have only been comparing with different photographs, or at best a simple gradient picture. I don't think we 226 users have compared from the same source photo yet so please post that original dolphin picture up somewhere, rather than just a snapshot of it

Is there any other tool to add custom resolutions besides powerstrip?

It was all good and well until I formated and did a clean winxp sp2 install. Now every time i try to start powerstrip ir freezes up my computer immdiately after clicking shortcut, no errors, no nothing, the only thing left to do is hit reset button.

Its a pretty common problem as I saw from google search and not a single salution. Not even the developer of powerstrip seems to know whats wrong. The only working "salution" afaik is to format many times and then hope for it to work. :(

Well, that picture from groovie shows the banding nicely, even if it is exaggerated by less than optimal settings; if you need quality graphics, stay away from TN and 22" monitors.

Thank you guys!
I'm going to try some calibrating.
Last night I got the "samsung syncmaster 226 a internet.icm". It was too red for me, soon I'll try others color profiles.
Unfortunately when I was searching for a monitor I didn't know the diferences between the panels. Now I think that I should got a Dell 2007. I brought this one from US (I'm from Brazil) and here, the prices are really really expensive!

It was a photoshop picture and after this shot I began to make some changes on my proof colors, and I really had some success. Tonight I'll take other shots.

I'll try to get the AOC pics.

Thanks again.

i have for 7 days a samsung 226 BW ( S) panel but it is too large for me. left 7 days to return it. is the samsung 206BW (A)panel(20'') have the same problem then 226BW (A) panel (22'')

because i dont see nothing about it.

tyvm

no one out there have a 206 BW (A)PANEL? i got to change for saturday so what will i do the samsung 206BW or other companies?

Well, I made some adjustments that improved image quality: first I reset to monitor default config, with brightness 100 and contrast 75, then I changed my color profile in photoshop cs3, using now the "Samsung Natural Color 1.0" and it helped a lot, later I changed gamma from 9% to 8%, with nvidia control panel, and the banding disappeared (ok, ok there was a little but much lesser). I'll make some more tests, unfortunately I don't have a hardware calibrator such as Spyder2... anyone recommend a good software?

Thanks

Back