Saints Row reboot

Sorry, yeah, that 'story' is awful. What happened to this game series? It doesn't even look like saints row anymore? It looks like the most generic boring ass garbage i've seen to date. At least the old games didn't take themselves seriously and were just humerous.

Sorry, yeah, that 'story' is awful. What happened to this game series? It doesn't even look like saints row anymore? It looks like the most generic boring ass garbage i've seen to date. At least the old games didn't take themselves seriously and were just humerous.

I only played SR3/4 but neither of those had good stories. This looks like more of the same, just with a bad cast design. Best part about SR4 was the intro mission being a parody of MGS and the setting being a parody of Mass Effect.

I only played SR3/4 but neither of those had good stories. This looks like more of the same, just with a bad cast design. Best part about SR4 was the intro mission being a parody of MGS and the setting being a parody of Mass Effect.
They didn't have good stories, but at least the past games didn't take themselves seriously and were enjoyable. This game appears to be taking itself seriously, but has the most generic 'story' and 'characters' possible.

They didn't have good stories, but at least the past games didn't take themselves seriously and were enjoyable. This game appears to be taking itself seriously, but has the most generic 'story' and 'characters' possible.

I don't really see any thing serious or "realistic" about this game. Only big difference I see is the main characters look like they're 15.

Maybe 10 year old's will eat this up? Who knows anymore..

I'm glad at least the SR3 remaster turned out "ok".

Just emulating gen z I guess. Meaning, completely self absorbed people who are arrogant beyond comprehension.
I've interacted with people on the older end of the gen z spectrum and I didn't get that vibe. Couldn't say about those still in high school or younger.

I've interacted with people on the older end of the gen z spectrum and I didn't get that vibe. Couldn't say about those still in high school or younger.
I'm generalizing for sure. However, that's basically that stereotypical douchebag social-mediaite cultural behavior they are emulating in this game.

The problem is that no one wants to see/hear/deal with that in their video game. As if you don't get blasted with it enough constantly.

What is it with the portrayal of young people in games these days where they sound so damned pretentious?

Kids now aren't supposed to work or earn or fail or struggle. They are owed status. Anyone who denies them status should be shamed, shunned, and attacked until their status is provided.

Any perceived shortcomings are actually as strong or stronger than limitations would appear.

I never played any of the previous Saints Row games so I have no preconceived notions of what the game should be...it doesn't look all that amazing from a gameplay standpoint but the Digital Foundry video from a few weeks ago had high praise for the graphics so it all depends on reviews once it officially is released...the trailers all give me a Watch Dogs: Legion meets Just Cause vibe

I never played any of the previous Saints Row games so I have no preconceived notions of what the game should be...it doesn't look all that amazing from a gameplay standpoint but the Digital Foundry video from a few weeks ago had high praise for the graphics so it all depends on reviews once it officially is released...the trailers all give me a Watch Dogs: Legion meets Just Cause vibe

SR3/SR4 was essentially GTA but outright silly and pure nonsense opposed to dark humor. Gameplay is very much like that game. So it will play a bit like Watch Dogs, but it won't have that flare the original WD had that Legion kind of lost track of. The original WD was essentially a serious toned, almost noir themed, GTA. Legion lost that but was more or less just gibberish and a game designed around basic marketing points so it felt bland.

Just Cause is more about outright destruction of these things. SR3/4 weren't too much like that aside from some minor side mission/activities. They were quite literally GTA but even more outrageous. This looks to be more of the same, but with bad character design.

Just emulating gen z I guess. Meaning, completely self absorbed people who are arrogant beyond comprehension.
Doesn't sound like you've talked to anyone under 25-26 but how do you lack the ability to get over yourself and still play this series is the real question.

And, I'm just throwing this out there because old people don't seem to understand anywhere near as much as they think they do (sound familiar?) but you know these characters are likely written mostly by older people than the characters themselves, right? So you're getting upset about someone maybe your age portraying what they think a younger person sounds like which has always gone over well.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like you've talked to anyone under 25-26 but how do you lack the ability to get over yourself and still play this series is the real question.

And, I'm just throwing this out there because old people don't seem to understand anywhere near as much as they think they do (sound familiar?) but you know these characters are likely written mostly by older people than the characters themselves, right? So you're getting upset about someone maybe your age portraying what they think a younger person sounds like which has always gone over well.
Those of us who paid for the previous games which allowed this garbage to be produced likely won't be playing this installent.

Deep Silver Volition has officially released the full system requirements for its upcoming reboot of Saints Row...

SR.png

So you're getting upset about someone maybe your age portraying what they think a younger person sounds like which has always gone over well.
Nowadays pretend progressive game developers hiring practices are to get them fresh out of college with zero experience not just with game development, but gaming itself. Then put them in charge of making and marketing a game.
Except they are not making a game for gamers, but for themselves, the anti gamer. It's purpose is not to entertain but serve their agendas and to have as many self inserts as possible.

And yes there are probably a few veterans involved in development too, who are either
a.) drank the kool aid and brainwashed themselves, desperately trying to hide their filthy gamer past​
b.) don't believe in it, but are convinced this is what all of gen Z wants​
c.) don't like it, but have to go along with it to keep their job​
And BTW this also applies to TV and Movies, often hiring writers and directors with close to zero experience for high profile projects. Who show zero respect for the material they are working with, and outright animosity towards the audience they are supposed to serve. And time after time they blame the customers for their failures, and bad reviews.

Because there is no such thing as "review bombing" if a product gets negative reviews that's because of the product's intrinsic qualities. The creators misjudged what the audience wants, or as in most cases nowadays never cared.

The gameplay and story trailers are looking better. More Acme hijinks and hilarity as it goes, all wrapped in neon and chrome.

Thankfully it doesn't look to aggressive on the detail, and when it hits Steam by next year I should have gotten around to a better vidja'ard. ha!

Can't decide if I should grab this for $15 during the holiday sale or wait for $5 during the summer sale next year?
I guess the best course of action is to wait for the free Epic giveaway.

for me it has nothing to do with the Epic Store...the game just doesn't look worth $60...gameplay looks like other games I've already played...maybe if the graphics are as amazing as the Digital Foundry preview from a few weeks ago I'll pick it up eventually...for now I have plenty of high profile games in my backlog I want to get through- Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, Control, Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077 (after the rumored soon to be released 1.6 patch hits), Dying Light 2, God of War, Spidey Remastered, Deathloop

plus House of the Dragon starts up tonight on HBO Max (it's also the first HBO Original series to be broadcast in 4K Dolby Vision) and the Lord of the Ring prequel hits Prime Video in 2 weeks

Someone needs to specialize in reviewing games in sub 5:00 videos. I don't need you to drone on for 30 minutes about some game's nuances. Anyone watching all of that already bought or bailed on the game and is just looking for a confirming opinion.

Someone needs to specialize in reviewing games in sub 5:00 videos. I don't need you to drone on for 30 minutes about some game's nuances. Anyone watching all of that already bought or bailed on the game and is just looking for a confirming opinion.
I stopped watching ACG years ago for this. He gives an entire speech for something that could be said in 1 sentence.
Brevity is the soul of wit, my dudes.

GMan's review is over 20 minutes but I'll watch it anyway because he's hilarious and for sure hated this game.

I’m the last person to support all this PC nonsense in games but… I really don’t get wtf Shillup is complaining about when he goes on and on how in one scene everyone’s a millennial hipster worrying about student loans and in the next they calmly shoot a lawyer in the face. That actually feels very Saints Row to me. I get it, the hipster and cringey unlikeable crew is a problem but imo I heard that about Watchdogs 2 as well and I ended up enjoying that game in spite of the laughably abrasive “crew”. So, if the bugs get properly sorted I think I’ll pick this game up. Also - an open world game with a relatively short and focused campaign that’s more like the 2000-2010s open world games sounds much more appealing to me than another filled-to-the-brim bullshit world.

reviews are pretty bad...just confirmed my decision to not buy...on a positive note, the graphics on PC sound impressive, so that alone might get me to pick it up down the line when it goes on sale...the game only features ray-traced Ambient Occlusion

"Raytraced Ambient Occlusion improves the quality of local shadowing at the cost of 15–25% performance, depending on your GPU...you can set RTAO to low, medium, high, or ultra, and in our experience the last two options are basically placebo — you'll get nearly the same result with medium RTAO with less of an impact on framerates..."

Saints Row 2022 PC Performance and Settings Preview

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/saints-row-2022-pc-performance-preview

I have a free key with AMD Rewards, may give it time for patches to come out before downloading it.

as far as long reviews, I don't mind them at all...I like knowing the tiny details about image quality and performance...you can always skip through the article or video or just click the Conclusions page if all you're looking for is a quick summary

PC Gamer gave it a 6.

Considering the "high profile" of the release, that means it bad.

PC Gamer gave it a 6.

Considering the "high profile" of the release, that means it bad.
Yep, you can pretty much safely half that score. A 6 on a AAA release from the mainstream magazines/websites = really bad. Only caveat is if they lower the score due to political BS, but that is not the case here.

Back