Saints Row reboot

polonyc2

Fully [H]
A Saints Row reboot has been confirmed by Volition...Saints Row will take us to the completely new fictional city of Santo Ileso, inspired by the American Southwest...a CGI trailer showed off gritty desert roads, a Las Vegas-like district, and more...the story stars three main characters and your customizable protagonist as you build a criminal empire and take on three opposing factions inhabiting the city

coming to PC (and consoles) on February 25th 2022...

I'm interested. Never played the previous games but do have The Third. Will just wait for this instead.

The Saints Row reboot will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC

A Deep Silver spokesperson confirmed today that Saints Row will be a timed Epic Games Store exclusive...Deep Silver wouldn't clarify how long the exclusivity period will be, but if the arrangement is similar to Epic's deals for big games like Metro Exodus and Borderlands 3, Saints Row will probably be Steam-free for at least a year...

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-saints-row-reboot-will-be-exclusive-to-the-epic-games-store-on-pc/

nothing but bullshots and a fake release date that wont be attainable. i also dont care for the direction of the franchise, prefer the childish lowbrow infantile humor of the prior games.

Loved Saints Row 2 and 3. 4 was decent. The trailer was meh to me. Would have preferred another sequel to continue the story of the boss. The 4th game could easily be retconned to allow for a 5th game.

Also that upvote to downvote ratio, yikes. At around 50% or less, seems other people aren't feeling it too.

Loved Saints Row 2 and 3. 4 was decent. The trailer was meh to me. Would have preferred another sequel to continue the story of the boss. The 4th game could easily be retconned to allow for a 5th game.

Also that upvote to downvote ratio, yikes. At around 50% or less, seems other people aren't feeling it too.

Saints Row devs 'not backing down' over reboot criticisms

The reboot was announced at Gamescom this week, waving goodbye to the former Third Street Saints in favour of a ragtag quartet of wannabe crime bosses...the trailer has a startling number of dislikes across various YouTube channels, often outweighing or closely matching the number of likes...the majority of outcry seems to be coming from the belief that the reboot doesn't retain the same 'feel' as older Saints Row games

glancing at the Twitter replies to the game's announcement and you'll be met with much of the same criticism...the Saints Row account decided to cheekily reply to one comment with a "haters gonna hate" GIF, before more seriously responding that the studio is "not backing down on this game" and the developers "get it, it's new and it's a shock reaction to a reboot like no other"...

https://www.pcgamer.com/saints-row-devs-not-backing-down-over-reboot-criticisms/

lol "gang members"

1630080161120.png

Last edited:
So from the trailer, white men bad, minorities good?
Pretty much. Get woke go broke. That statement comes true pretty much 100% of the time (sports, Hollywood, television, gaming, etc.) so this should be no different. Not buying myself even though I've completed all previous games in the series. Looks like some modern woke/SJW interpretation of the Saints Row series. Another dead series for me.

Last edited:
Or Watch_Dogs 2 "copypasta" with even more wokeness
I thought Watch_Dogs2 was pretty woke as well, but it actually made fun of the wokeness in modern society and how ridiculous it is. The game was more of a dystopian nightmare of what our woke society is starting to become so it was actually more interesting to play it than not (even though I hate wokeness). I'll admit though, if they push the envelope even further on the next game then it's definitely another dead series to me as well.

I thought Watch_Dogs2 was pretty woke as well, but it actually made fun of the wokeness in modern society as well (and how ridiculous it is). The game was more of a dystopian nightmare of what our woke society is starting to become so it was actually more interesting to play it than not (even though I hate wokeness). I'll admit though, if they push the envelope even further on the next game then it's definitely another dead series to me as well.
WD2 seemed to make fun of itself a lot but also threw in a bit of wokeness on its own. I refuse to play Legion due to the massive changes & woke trash.

I think I'll just wind up replaying SR3R & SR4 again to spite them. I've also realized that I need to beat SR Gat Out of Hell.

As someone who never played the previous games, what exactly are they changing? The humor? If so, in what ways?

As someone who never played the previous games, what exactly are they changing? The humor? If so, in what ways?
Trailers for the 4 games in the original series.

Also just realized that all these new woke games have the same art style and design aesthetics. It's like Cal Arts, only in video games.

Developer commenting on negative reaction:

"We love [the old Saints Row games], but we also recognise those games are of a time," he said. "They made sense within that era, and we were able to do things that felt good back then. But that tone is not something that we feel like we want to do today."

What era? Few years ago? I feel like I am living through black mirror / twilight zone episode. When and how will this mass dilusion and hysteria go away? I play games to escape all of this nonsense. I always wondered how it felt to live through various eras of mass dillusion - like during witch hunts or in Nazi Germany for example. Today I unfortunately have an answer to that.

some of the people here are so over the top with their hate for them wanting to change things up a bit...as long as the spirit of the original is still there then that's all that really matters...gamers are so jaded nowadays- woke this, make some minor changes and more outrage etc...judge the game based on the gameplay and not some preconceived notion of what the series was 10 years ago

not some preconceived notion of what the series was 10 years ago

That's a cop-out position to take. I guarantee you everyone who loved Alien and Aliens thought Alien 3 sucked. Alien 3 wasn't woke, it just sucked hard.

You can't take all of the hard work and good will of previous stories, throw them away, and expect audiences to approve.

It's just not possible to make something that's both woke and good. It doesn't matter what the gameplay is like. Gameplay is how the audience interacts with the story; if the story is bad, good gameplay only means interacting with a bad story really well.

Good gameplay with no story is fine. That's how you get your Serious Sams and Monster Hunters. That can work.

Another example of acceptable gameplay with terrible stories that doesn't work would be those God-awful Christian kid-friendly shooters that came out in the '90s. Where you would shoot soap at dirty enemies and stupid stuff like that. The gameplay was identical to the big shooters they were imitating. But man, they suuuucked.

The Burger King Kids' Club is not a gang. Blood in, blood out.

some of the people here are so over the top with their hate for them wanting to change things up a bit...as long as the spirit of the original is still there then that's all that really matters...gamers are so jaded nowadays- woke this, make some minor changes and more outrage etc...judge the game based on the gameplay and not some preconceived notion of what the series was 10 years ago
The only 'hate' I've been seeing is entire industries so asshurt they are rewriting and reboot every piece of rememberable media just as a means of some sort of revengeful social justice.

Saints Row: Exclusive First Look At The World of Santo Ileso

Engine looks impressive but I'm sure it's spiced up for the trailer. But why do they call something fully textured, fully animated, fully lighted, fully physics'd "pre-alpha"?

Engine looks impressive but I'm sure it's spiced up for the trailer. But why do they call something fully textured, fully animated, fully lighted, fully physics'd "pre-alpha"?
Means not all features are implemented yet. Could just be the rendering engine and physics engine that are done or close to done. World otherwise looks bare. Alpha stage is considered feature complete.

It looks really... basic. Unfinished. This looks like the kind of footage they would show internally to try to get development approved very early on.
Reminds me of one of those Unity Engine asset flips that people make.

I just played SR3 and SR4. I'm sort of looking forward to it. Hope they remove the powers SR4 added (not a fan), but if they tone the game down too much it will just be a soulless GTA knockoff. Not like the character designs but honestly the story wasn't great in SR3/4 anyways. If it ends up being another middle of the road open world action shooter I'll probably be satisfied.

Yeah the character does look very young. I am assuming you can't create your own character like in SR3/4?

The gameplay they've shown so far lacks the previous games' flavor.

And that would be? SR3 was a standard GTA clone, but made zero attempts to be logical. It did have strong player customization which this reboot seems to lack. Aside from that it was fairly standard. SR4 added super powers which were gimmicky and slapped on but otherwise was essentially the same. Considering it was supposed to be a DLC for SR3 originally it makes sense why it was so similar to SR3.

Otherwise I don't really see what makes SR3 standout. I have only played SR3/4.

Back