Sabertooth Z170 Mark1 ram and cpu overclocking

bmcelvan

n00b
Have:
ASUS Sabertooth Z170 Mark1 Motherboard
i7-6700k
32GB G.Skill (2x16GB) 3200MHz 15-15-15-35 DDR4 RAM

As mentioned by Dan in the review for this board, I can't enable X.M.P with the most recent bios version and get the system to post with my current FSP HydroG 750W PSU, (see below how I was able to with my old Ultra PSU). It beeps four times and when restarted gives the "overclocking failure re-enter settings in bios error). Trying to figure a workaround to OC my RAM.

Is it safe to manually lower the latency as far as it will go and still post and boot into windows?

Or is there some limit that I should stop at to keep it from damaging the RAM? (Or is that limit simply windows doesn't work well or it won't post?)

I manually changed RAM voltage to 1.35V and the timing to 14-14-34@3000 and it posted, booted and loaded into windows fine.

Is it safe to go over the 1.35V (X.M.P. settings specified by G.Skill) for RAM or can that damage the RAM?

*PSU story: when I first build system had an Ultra X4 750W modular PSU and when enabling X.M.P. in the bios the board came with (version 1101 - 23Oct2015) it posted, booted and loaded into Windows just fine. After using the computer though I noticed that only about 1 in 10 times would it restart or shut down properly with X.M.P. enabled and about 6 out of 10 times at stock settings, X.M.P. not enabled. I then updated to the lastest version of bios (version 1602) and enabled X.M.P. The system WILL NOT POST and gives the error. So I replaced the PSU with the HydroG one mentioned above and now can'y enable X.M.P. at all (with any bios version). However at stock settings and the 3000MHz setting I mentioned above it seems to restart and shutdown properly 10 out of 10 times.

you should be fine up to 1.5v just have some airflow over the ram, you can change any setting you have options for, lower/higher, have fun with it,

such a high ram speed will probably need more voltage to memory controller to get it stable

Back